Nightmare

Forever Shorties
Yunho fumbled through the darkness for his phone. He couldn’t even read the caller ID.
 
“Hello?” he groaned, so groggy from being woken up. He glanced at his alarm clock. It was quarter to 3 in the morning.
 
He was answered by soft sobs and heavy breaths.
 
“Jaejoong? Is that you? What happened? Are you alright?”
 
“No…” Jaejoong hiccupped into the phone. He knew he shouldn’t have called. He was being foolish. But he needed to talk to someone.
 
“What happened?” Yunho started to panic. He the small lamp by his bed and grabbed the nearest pair of pants.
 
“I… I had a nightmare.” Jaejoong felt so ashamed. He hadn’t had nightmares in years. Not as bad as this one. Not one that felt so real.
 
“I’m sorry.” Yunho was unsure about what to do. “Do you want to talk about it?”
 
Yunho was answered with sobs. It broke his heart to hear Jaejoong cry.
 
“Jae, talk to me. What was your dream about?”
 
“Can you come over? I really need someone right now and there’s no one around.”
 
“How can there be no one around? You live with like a billion people…”
 
“They went to the beach for the weekend.” Jaejoong started crying again. He felt like he was acting like a child. “I’m sorry. Just go back to sleep. I’ll be okay.”
 
“No, you won’t. I can hear it in your voice. I’ll be over in 15 minutes.”
 
 
Jaejoong was sitting in the porch swing when Yunho pulled up in front of the house. Jaejoong ran to Yunho and threw his arms around Yunho’s neck. Tears were still streaming down Jaejoong’s face. He hadn’t stopped crying from the moment he woke up.
 
Yunho sighed and held Jaejoong tight. “It’s okay. Come on. Let’s get inside. It’s chilly out here.” Yunho walked slowly as Jaejoong clung to him. 
 
Yunho settled Jaejoong on the sofa and wiped the tears with his hoodie sleeve. “You didn’t put on a jacket. Here, wear this.” Yunho wrapped his hoodie around Jaejoong’s shoulders. “How bad was this nightmare?”
 
Jaejoong tucked his head under Yunho’s chin. “Pretty bad,” he said, curling his fingers into Yunho’s shirt tighter.
 
“Do you want me to get you anything? Water or some warm milk?”
 
Jaejoong shook his head. He just wanted to be held for a while. He felt horrible for waking Yunho up at this hour.
 
“Are you stressed out because I’m leaving on Monday?”
 
“Maybe…”
 
“Jaejoongie, I’m only going to be two hours away. I’ll be home every weekend and during breaks.” Yunho ran his hand through Jaejoong’s hair as he spoke. “Everything is going to be okay.”
 
“It doesn’t feel like it’s going to be okay. I’m gonna miss you so bad. It feels like my heart is going to be ripped out of my chest.”
 
“It’ll be okay. Jaejoong, tell me about this nightmare you had.”
 
“It was horrible. There was fire and I was trapped. I could feel the heat all over my body. I was calling out for you and you couldn’t hear me.” Jaejoong wiped his face as more tears fell.
 
“Oh, Jaejoong. Come here. I’m always going to be here for you.” Yunho hugged Jaejoong tighter. “Let me make you a mug of warm milk.”
 
“Okay. It felt so real.”
 
"I know. You're safe now."
 
Jaejoong watched Yunho heat the milk on the stove. Yunho added some cinnamon and spoonful of vanilla to the milk.
 
Yunho laughed when he opened the cupboard that held the family’s coffee mugs. Everyone had their own mug, mostly plain colored. Then there was his and Jaejoong’s mugs.
 
His and Jaejoong’s were a matching set. Jaejoong’s was pink gingham with Hello Kitty stamped on the front. Yunho’s had blue gingham with Dear Daniel. Yunho was shocked to learn that Hello Kitty had a boyfriend. And even more shocked to find out there was an entire universe, with plots and stories and other characters.
 
Jaejoong’s eldest sister had gotten the mug set for Yunho and Jaejoong. Half as a gag gift, half because Yunho really did need his own mug at the house.
 
Yunho filled the mugs with the milk and sat down next to Jaejoong. “It’s going to be okay, you know?”
 
“I guess,” Jaejoong mumbled.
 
“No, really. It’s going to be fine. I’m only going to be a couple hours away. And soon you’re going to be so busy with classes and homework, you won’t have time to miss me.”
 
“I’ll never stop missing you. I don’t want to be alone. I don’t have a lot of friends, Yunho. And I really don’t want to go back to hanging out with my sisters all the time.”
 
“Hang out with Yoochun and the gang. They like you.” Yunho rested his hand on Jaejoong’s shoulder.
 
“They like me because they like you. They aren’t going to put up with me after you leave.”
 
“Sure they will. Yoochun really likes hanging out with you. He’s thinks you’re funny. He can get a little handsy though, so just slap him a couple times,” Yunho teased gently.
 
“I guess,” Jaejoong said glumly.
 
“Hey, don’t sound so upset. You ready for bed?”
 
“Yeah. Are you gonna stay with me?” Jaejoong asked hopefully. He really didn’t want to be alone.
 
“Of course.” Yunho rinsed the cups but left them in the sink. He would take care of them in the morning.
 
He followed Jaejoong up to his room. Yunho actually really liked Jaejoong’s room. It was in the attic, which allowed Jaejoong lots of privacy.
 
His parents gave Jaejoong free reign on his bedroom; he just had to keep it relatively clean. He was always trying to reinvent himself through his room. He just didn’t want to be that stereotypical smart kid with poster of Einstein and Pavlov on his wall. Instead he decorated with his walls with posters of bands and poems he wrote himself and drawings he stole out of Yunho’s sketch books.
 
Yunho loved Jaejoong’s bed best of all. It was one of those NASA memory foam beds and it was huge. Jaejoong, Yunho and Yoochun could all fit on it comfortably. Yunho had laughed the first time he sat on the bed; the sheets were pink plaid flannel. He loved those sheets.
 
“Do you want a pair of sweatpants?” Jaejoong asked shyly. He didn’t really have a pair that would fit Yunho, but he didn’t think his nephew would mind too much if he borrowed a pair.
 
“Would it bother you if I slept in my boxers?”
 
Jaejoong shook his head and blushed. “No. Will you be warm enough?”
 
“You’re hotter than an engine block. I’m sure I’ll be fine.” Yunho laughed as Jaejoong’s blush deepened. “Come here. I’m just teasing you. You make so easy.”
 
Jaejoong sat next to Yunho on the bed. He smiled when Yunho wrapped him in a warm embrace.
 
Yunho lifted Jaejoong up and laid him back on the bed. He quickly undressed and laid down next to Jaejoong. He smiled at how well Jaejoong fit in his arms.
 
Jaejoong rolled over to face Yunho. “I can’t sleep.”
 
“Just try,” Yunho replied. He didn’t open his eyes. He just hand his hand up and down Jaejoong’s back.
 
Jaejoong huffed and rolled on to his back. He stared at his ceiling for several minutes before speaking again.
 
“Yunho?”
 
“Go to sleep, Jae.”
 
“I can’t. I can’t get comfortable.”
 
Yunho sat up. “Get comfortable and I’ll get comfortable around you. It’ almost 5 AM. We need to get some sleep.”
 
“I’m sorry.” Jaejoong hung his head. He laid down on his stomach. “Yunho, come here.”
 
Yunho laid down on his side next to Jaejoong. “Better?”
 
“Yeah.” Jaejoong bent his knee and slid his leg between Yunho’s thighs.
 
“That’s a little dangerous.” Yunho patted Jaejoong’s lightly.
 
“Not really. Just don’t scare me in the night.”
 
Yunho laughed softly. He thread his hand through Jaejoong’s hair and placed a gentle kiss on the younger boy’s temple. He stayed awake until her could hear Jaejoong’s soft snores.
 
Yunho smiled to himself in the darkness. He could easily get used to falling asleep with Jaejoong’s warm body pressed against his and Jaejoong’s soft breaths ghosting across his skin.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
A super-shortie especially for vicshi who had a nightmare and needed a little reasurance. I love you vicshi! ^3^
 
And if anyone has a special request, you can drop me a comment or a message and I'll probably write in like a day or two.