A Day at the Lake

Forever Shorties
Jaejoong ran through the house looking for his clothes. Yoochun had said that he had a big surprise for everyone, but wouldn’t tell them anything more about it. He only said to pack swim shorts, a change of clothes and a warm hoodie.
 
“Jaejoong stop running. I did your laundry last night and put them away in your room.” Jaejoong’s mother was at her wits end with the child.
 
“I can’t find my hoodie.”
 
“Jaejoong, you have a hundred hoodies. I don’t know which one you are talking about.”
 
“The orange BSX one.”
 
“I think it’s in the hall closet. That one’s pretty old and a little thin. Why not bring a thicker one?”
 
“I need to wear this one tonight. It’s important, Mama.”
 
She sighed and shook her head. As much as she loved her son, she knew she would never really understand him. “Okay. Have fun. Yoochun didn’t tell you where you were going today?”
 
“No. But I asked him and he said we would have cell reception and there is a landline. I’ll be fine. Everyone is going to be there.”
 
“Who’s ‘everyone’?”
 
“Me, Yoochun, Yunho, Siwon, Luna… Just everyone.”
 
“Jaejoong, listen to me.” Mrs. Kim sat down at the table. “I know how deeply you and Yunho care about each other and I know that you are growing up so fast…”
 
“I know Mama. Things are delicate right now and Yunho and I can’t be open about our relationship. It that there are still such closed minded people.”
 
“You’ll just be careful, right. Everyone who is going to this thing are people you trust? No one is going to tell your secret?”
 
“No one’s going to tell. I know we aren’t always careful, but Yoochun covers for us. All the time.”
 
“I just don’t want you to get hurt. There are still people who are killed because…” Mrs. Kim faltered. She had accepted years ago that her son was gay, but she still had a hard time saying it out loud. Almost as if not talking about meant they didn’t have to deal with the very harsh realities.
 
“Mama, I know. Yunho knows.” Jaejoong leaned over and kissed his mother on the cheek before bolting from the room to find his orange hoodie.
 
That hoodie, that stupid orange hoodie with a unicorn on the front. It was his favorite. Yunho had wrapped Jaejoong up in it after a bad nightmare years ago. He shoved it into his book bag and ran back up the stairs. He had almost forgotten to put on his necklace.
 
“Jaejoong! If you don’t stop running around this house, I’m going to break both your knees!” Mrs. Kim shouted as Jaejoong ran by her again.
 
“Sorry, Mama.” Jaejoong raided the fridge for Yunho’s favorite snacks. “I’m gonna go wait for Yunho on the porch.”
 
“Okay. Have fun. Be careful. Call if you need anything.”
 
 
 
He was practically vibrating with excitement as he watch Yunho’s car pull up. Yoochun was driving with Luna in the passenger’s seat. Jaejoong climbed into the back seat with Yunho and slyly slid his hand over Yunho’s hand.
 
“Are you excited about today?” Yoochun asked.
 
Jaejoong nodded his head enthusiastically. Yunho laughed and entwined his fingers around Jaejoong’s. He hated that they had to hide their relationship, but things were changing. Slowly, but surely. Yunho couldn’t wait for the day he could proudly proclaim he loved Jaejoong.
 
Jaejoong fell asleep in the car on the way to Yoochun’s surprise. He woke to the feeling on Yunho’s lips on his forehead. Yunho helped Jaejoong out of the car and smiled when Jaejoong gasped.
 
It was the most beautiful camp Jaejoong had ever seen. There was a log cabin that over looked the lake. There was a huge tree on the edge of the lake with a tire swing hanging off one of it’s branches. There was another tire swing hanging on four chains. And it was quiet. Very, very quiet. Jaejoong took a deep breath, inhaling the serenity of the place.
 
“Jaejoong! Go change so we can all go swimming,” Yoochun shouted.
 
“In the lake?” Jaejoong asked timidly.
 
“Yes in the lake.”
 
Jaejoong wasn’t the strongest swimmer. He could keep his head above water, but that was about it. “I really can’t swim.”
 
“Why did you think I told you to pack swim trunks?”
 
“I don’t know. Maybe we were going to a water park…”
 
“Go get changed, Jaejoongie.” Yunho wrapped his arm around Jaejoong’s shoulder. “I won’t let you drown.”
 
Jaejoong changed into his shorts quickly. Almost everyone was already in the water when he joined them. Only Yoochun and Yunho were standing on the edge of the dock.
 
“Ready?” Yoochun asked with a smile on his face.
 
Jaejoong shook his head and took a step back. Yoochun smirked and took a step closer to Jaejoong.
 
“What are you doing?”
 
“Nothing. You just need to get in the water.”
 
Jaejoong took a larger step back, shaking his head harder. He didn’t want to get in the water. Yunho circled around behind Jaejoong and wrapped his arm around Jaejoong’s waist. Jaejoong struggled against Yunho.
 
Yunho moved slowly to the edge of the dock and smiled at Yoochun. They pushed Jaejoong into the water, next to Siwon.
 
They laughed as Siwon hauled Jaejoong up. “Jaejoong, you can put your feet down. It’s shallow enough that you can stand.”
 
“You’re an . I could have drown,” Jaejoong fumed.
 
Yunho slid into the water gracefully. “I will never let anything bad happen to you. Now come on. I’m gonna teach you how to swim.”
 
 
They swam for a few hours. Yunho was impressed with Jaejoong’s progress. He was much less timid in the water than he had been before.
 
“I’m starving,” Yoochun announced. “I’m going to start a fire.”
 
“Okay. What’s for lunch?” Jaejoong asked.
 
“Anything you can put on a stick.” Yoochun smiled and began collecting wood for the fire.
 
Jaejoong pulled on his t-shirt and sat on the tire swing. He was feeling a bit anxious about his relationship with Yunho. Jaejoong felt like there was a weird distance between them. He tried not to let it get to him. But that feeling just wouldn’t leave.
 
“Hey. Yoochun almost has the fire ready.” Yunho sat next to Jaejoong on the swing. “Is everything okay?”
 
“I was just thinking. I really shouldn’t do that.”
 
Yunho chuckled softly. “Tell me what’s wrong. Is Yoochun being handsy again?”
 
“No. It’s just… You haven’t kissed me, yet. We’ve been dating for a few months now and I just thought you would have kissed me by now.”
 
“I kiss you all the time.”
 
“Yeah. But only on the forehead or cheek or shoulder. Never on my lips. Never a real kiss.”
 
“I’m sorry. I never really noticed. I guess I thought you would kiss me when you were ready. I don’t want to push you to fast.”
 
Jaejoong scooted closer and rested his head on Yunho’s shoulder. “Can I kiss you now?”
 
Yunho smiled and tilted Jaejoong’s face upwards, capturing his lips in a tender kiss. Jaejoong gasped when he felt the tip of Yunho’s tongue sweep across his bottom lip. Yunho carded his hands into Jaejoong’s hair and deepened the kiss. Jaejoong smiled into the kiss. It made him feel so much better, so much more loved to feel Yunho’s mouth against his.
 
He knew in that moment everything was going to be alright.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
This was written for... Someone who wanted more pre-babies YunJae dating. I thought I wrote your name down but I didn't... Because I OTL. I do know you are a frequent commentor so please please please remind me who you are. I'm so so so sorry I forgot your name. I feel like a giant asshat about it.
 
This fic will be getting a sequel once I have a little more time. Classes are going, and Cassie and I are writing a fic together and doing a radio show, and we're in two classes together. So, I'm really busy.... OTL