Christmas Morning

Forever Shorties
Jyuni tip toed out of her room, trying to suppress her giggles. It was finally Christmas morning and all she wanted to do was get her fathers and little brother and open presents.
 
She climbed up the foot of her parents bed. She climbed up Yunho’s leg and laid down on his stomach. Yunho opened his eyes slowly at the added weight on his body. Jyuni smiled and crawled up his chest.
 
“Morning Princess.” Yunho turned slowly so Jyuni was nestled in between himself and Jaejoong.
 
“Daddy, it’s Christmas. We need to get up and open presents,” Jyuni whispered.
 
“It’s still very really, Princess. We should let Dada sleep a little longer.”
 
“Changmin was crying all night again.”
 
“Yeah. So let Dada sleep for just a little while longer. Then I’ll get up and we can make breakfast together, okay.” Yunho looked past his sleeping husband to a small bassinette attached to the bed. Jaejoong’s therapist recommended they try co-sleeping to help Jaejoong bond with their new son. It seemed to be working, except Changmin was a fussy baby and cried frequently. Most of the time Changmin didn’t need to be fed or changed, he just cried. Yunho tried his hardest to reassure Jaejoong that the 7 month old baby would grow out of it soon.
 
“Okay Daddy.” Jyuni settled down and shut her eyes.
 
As if on cue, a small whine came from the co-sleeping bassinette. Jaejoong stirred and groaned as he reached out and caressed his son. The child stilled instantly.
 
Jaejoong rolled over slowly and wrapped his arms around Jyuni and kissed the top of her head.
 
“Dada, it’s Christmas,” she whispered.
 
“I know. Do you want peppermint chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast?”
 
“We’ll make you breakfast, Jaejoong. Just stay in bed.”
 
“No, I want to make breakfast. We should do it as a family,” Jaejoong murmured as he slowly fell back asleep.
 
Yunho chuckled. “Come on Jyuni. Let’s go make breakfast for Dada, so he can get more sleep.”
 
Jyuni smiled and nodded. She followed Yunho to the kitchen and climbed up on the tall stool in front of the island. Yunho set a large bowl and wooden spoon in front of her. Jyuni’s favorite part of stirring the batter.
 
Yunho filled the bowl with pancake mix and measured out the right amount of water. As Jyuni stirred Yunho grabbed the peppermint oil and chocolate chips from the cupboard. Jyuni was humming brightly. Yunho squeezed 10 drops of oil into the batter and added the chocolate chips.
 
“Daddy, we need more chips!”
 
“We have a whole half a bag in there now.”
 
“Just three more,” Jyuni pouted and held up three tiny fingers.
 
“Okay. Three more.” Yunho smiled and he and Jyuni counted out the more chocolate chips together.
 
Yunho made a huge stack of pancakes. He piled them on to a plate and fetched a pitcher of orange juice and gathered everything on to a tray. “Jyuni, go wake Dada up. Tell him breakfast is ready and I’ll be there in a minute.”
 
Yunho kicked the door open gently. “Don’t say any thing,” he said to Jaejoong before Jaejoong could even speak. “You needed more rest. Changmin isn’t sleep through the night yet and you yell at me when I try to get up with him.”
 
“Because you work early and you need more rest.” Yunho set the tray on the bed as Jaejoong sat up.
 
“Changmin’s still asleep, for now.” Jaejoong yawned and stretched his arms above his head.
 
“Dada! We need to eat quickly. Santa’s been here.” Jyuni slumped against Jaejoong’s side and smiled up at him.
 
“Okay, Princess. Eat at least two pancakes and then we’ll go open presents.” Jaejoong kissed the top of her head and hugged her tightly.
 
Half way through breakfast Changmin woke up and wanted to be fed.
 
“Feed Minnie, I’ll feed you,” Yunho said with a smile. Jaejoong sighed and lifted the baby to his chest.
 
“I’m done!” Jyuni shouted and put her fork down on the tray. “Presents now?”
 
“Yes, Jyuni. My you’re impatient this morning.”
 
Jyuni jumped up from the bed and ran to the living room.
 
“She gets that from you,” Jaejoong said and shifted Changmin to his other arm. “Let’s go before she makes a huge mess.”
 
Jyuni was sitting on the floor in front of the tree, not touching anything, just waiting. The glow of the colored lights of the tree cast soft across her face. Yunho sat next to Jyuni.
 
Yunho past out the presents and smiled as Jyuni tore open the paper. Jaejoong helped Changmin open his present, though the baby was more interested in trying to eat the paper. Jaejoong was constantly pulled bits out of his mouth.
 
Jaejoong set Changmin in the playpen with his new toys. He watched his kids play for a moment then walked into the kitchen to start dinner.
 
“Baby,” Yunho whispered for the door way, causing Jaejoong to jump. “Sorry. I wanted to give you your gift.”
 
“We agreed no gifts for each other. Just the kids.” Jaejoong bit his lip, glad that he wasn’t the only one to ignore that agreement.
 
“Here. It’s not fancy or anything. I just wanted to… Well, you’ll understand when you open it.”
 
Jaejoong stared at the small black velvet box for a moment. “I got you something, too. I just saw it and knew it was perfect for you.” Jaejoong handed Yunho and identical black box.
 
“Jae…” Yunho smiled. They opened the boxes at the same time and gasped at the identical rings. Simple platinum bands with two small diamonds imbedded on the top.
 
“Yunho,” Jaejoong laughed.
 
“I think we know each other too well. I wanted to get you a new wedding band.”
 
“Same here. I love our bands, because they are ours…”
 
“But we didn’t really get to shop around and take our time to get ones we really wanted,” Yunho smiled as he finished Jaejoong’s sentence.
 
“Yeah.” Jaejoong took Yunho’s hand and slid the ring off his finger. He replaced it with Yunho’s new ring and kissed Yunho’s wrist softly.
 
Yunho repeated the actions for Jaejoong and smiled. Yunho held Jaejoong tightly and kissed him slowly.
 
“I almost feel guilty, getting new rings,” Yunho confessed.
 
“Me too. But these ones fit so much better.” Jaejoong looked at his new ring. Their old rings were dented and Jaejoong’s was tarnished so badly that no amount of cleaning helped. Yunho’s ring kept slipping off and he almost lost it a handful of times already.
 
Jaejoong ran his hands through Yunho’s hair and kissed him again.
 
“I love you so much, Yunho,” Jaejoong whispered.
 
“I love you, too.” Yunho didn’t pull away as Jaejoong turned in his arms and went back to preparing dinner. Yunho kept his arms around Jaejoong’s waist and kissed his shoulder occasionally. He glanced over his shoulder to check on the kids; they were both fast asleep. “Jae, look.”
 
Yunho turned Jaejoong around to see the children. Jaejoong chuckled. Changmin was curled up on top of his new teddy bear and Jyuni was hanging half off the sofa, clutching her new doll.
 
“Merry Christmas, Baby,” Yunho whispered into Jaejoong’s ear.
 
“Merry Christmas.” Jaejoong leaned back into Yunho’s arms and sighed. Happiness flowed through him as he watched his babies sleep.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope everyone has a great day and it's filled with love and joy!