Awkward Love

Forever Shorties

 Jaejoong felt like the worst parent in the world as he set a screaming Changmin on the floor. No one told him the first day of kindergarten would be the equivalent of childbirth. Changmin shook and coughed through the tears. He wailed and clung to his father's legs with a vice-like grip.

 

“Changmin, Sweetie,” Jaejoong cooed. “Class is about to start and you need to be a good boy.”

 

Changmin screamed louder. He did want to stay in the weird room with all the other kids. He wanted to go home. Jaejoong was preparing for this all week. And it was still the hardest thing he had to do. He wished that Yunho was there, but the twins had a doctor’s appointment.

 

“Mr. Jung, it might be better if you just go. I’m sure Changmin will settle down soon,” the teacher’s voice is honey-sweet and genuine. “We have a quiet space all set up as well, if Changmin doesn’t want to join the class right away.”

 

“Alright.” Jaejoong knelt in front of Changmin. “I’ll be back to pick you up after school. At three o’clock; when the big hand is on the three. I love you. Be good for me.” He pressed a kiss to Changmin’s forehead.

 

“Dada!” Changmin shrieked and threw his arms around Jaejoong’s neck.

 

“I can’t leave him like this. Maybe we should wait a year. I’m sorry for wasting your time.”

 

“Mr. Jung, it’s important for Changmin to socialize and start school. He’ll be fine. If anything happens I’ll call you.”

 

“You’re right.” Jaejoong pulled Changmin off his neck. “Be a good boy. I love you.” He left quickly, not being able to bare the screeching coming from his child.

 

 

“Hi,” a soft voice jarred Changmin out of his bad mood. “I’m Junsu. This is Leo. And this is Tigger.” Junsu held out two cat plushies.

 

Changmin was still crying, but stopped screaming an hour or so ago. Partly because it wasn’t getting him any where and partly because his throat hurt.

 

“Want some juice? Mommy always packs me two.” He handed Changmin a juice box and pulled a tissue out of his pocket. He wiped Changmin’s face. “You can hold Tigger. Mommy won’t let me have a real cat because they make Daddy sneeze. So, Mommy buys me a plushie kitty for my birthday every year.”

 

Changmin stared at his talkative classmate. Junsu seemed nice enough. Changmin pet the silver tabby plushie and listened.

 

“It’s really fun here. Miss Lee is really nice too.” Junsu moved closer. “You haven’t told me your name yet.”

 

“Changmin,” he coughed. His voice was so sore from screaming. He felt foolish for carrying on the way he did.

 

“I like that name. And I like you. We’re going to be best friends now.” Junsu hugged Changmin tightly. Changmin tensed for a moment, then relaxed into his new friends embrace. Junsu smelt like honey and sunflowers. Changmin liked that.

 

“I'm glad you're not crying anymore. Miss Lee said I can play with you all day, if you don't want to join the lesson, but only for today.”

 

They sat on the floor together, playing with the plush cats and an array of other toys around them. Junsu talked more than Changmin, but Changmin liked the sound of his new friend's voice. It was a little squeaky, but calm and caring.

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong smiled when he arrived to pick Changmin up at three. His son and another little boy were fast asleep using plushie cats as pillows.

 

“I’m surprised Junsu gave up Tigger,” a woman said walking up behind Jaejoong. “I’m Taeyeon, by the way.”

 

“Jaejoong. Changmin is my son.”

 

“He’s adorable. He must look like his mother.”

 

“His father, actually. He looks more like his father. It’s a long story.” Jaejoong sighed. “I should wake him up now. I hope Changmin and Junsu will be friends.”

 

“I hope so too,” Taeyeon smiled.

 

Jaejoong lifted Changmin off the floor. Changmin was still clutching the toy as Jaejoong adjust him in his arms.

 

“Dada?” Changmin whispered. He voice was hoarse.

 

“I told you I’d be back. I’d never leave my baby forever.”

 

“Wait.” Changmin squirmed, trying to get down. Junsu had woken up. “Thanks,” Changmin said, dipping his head. He held out the plush cat to Junsu.

 

“Hold on to him tonight. We can play tomorrow.” Junsu kissed Changmin’s cheek and for the first time, Changmin didn’t recoil from a person’s touch.

 

 

***

 

“You haven’t been listening to me,” Junsu shook Changmin’s shoulder.

 

“Sorry. I was just... Thinking.” Changmin frowned. “What were you saying?”

 

“I was just wondering if you ever thought about finding a girlfriend.”

 

“Why would I need a girlfriend when I have you?” Changmin said, almost flippantly. He tensed, one he realized what he had implied. “I mean... I didn’t mean it like that.”

 

Junsu cupped Changmin’s face and leaned closer, slowly. He kissed Changmin, slowly. Changmin pulled back, scrambling to the edge of the bed.

 

“I'm sorry!” Junsu stuttered. He moved away from Changmin. “I'm so sorry. I just...” He words were cut off as Changmin pushed him to his back and kissed him hard and desperately.

 

Junsu s his arms around Changmin's waist. They laid there for a long time kissing and touching each other. Changmin traced the lines of Junsu's face with his thumb. Junsu's fingers lingered on Changmin's arms and shoulders.

 

“Are your parents going to be mad at us?” Changmin whispered.

 

“I don't know. Are we...” Junsu faltered.

 

“I don't know. I don't want to tell our parents. Not yet, anyway.” He kissed Junsu's lips softly. “I really like doing that.”

 

“I do, too.” Junsu entwined their hand together. “Just so I understand; this isn't a one time thing, but we aren't dating officially.”

 

“Yeah. I need to figure out how I feel, but I really like you. I just don't know if I can be in a relationship right now.” Changmin flushed. He felt like he was using Junsu.

 

“I know you, Changmin. I know you,” Junsu said softly. He ran his hand through Changmin's hair and pulled him closer.

----------------------------------------

My MinSu muse took over......