Growing

Forever Shorties

The breeze played with Changmin's hair as he sat outside the rec center. Jaejoong was still inside talking with the counselor who was running the meeting.

 

'Changmin's been making great progress.' 'He's well on the road to full recovery.' 'I'm confident in Changmin's abilities to be healthy.' Changmin was tired of those phrases. He didn't feel any different. He still wanted to drink everyday.

 

“Changmin? Didn't you hear me?” Jaejoong placed his hand on Changmin's shoulder.

 

“Sorry, Dad.”

 

“How are you feeling?” Jaejoong took hold of his son's hand. Part of his brain, the irrational part, told Jaejoong all this was somehow his fault.

 

“Okay, I guess. I'm getting really sick of everyone asking me that.”

 

“I know. I'm proud of you. And I love you.” Jaejoong squeezed Changmin's hand. “Jyuni wants you visit her in Singapore for the long weekend.”

 

“I still want to drink. I want to get drunk and sleep and not care anymore.”

 

Jaejoong wrapped his arm around his son's shoulders. “I know. It's going to be really hard for a long time, but I'm really proud of everything you are doing.” He kissed Changmin's temple.

 

“Dad!” Changmin tried to pull away from Jaejoong.

 

“Stop it. Just let me cuddle my baby for a while.”

 

“I haven't been you baby for a long time,” Changmin sighed.

 

“You will always be my baby.” Jaejoong rubbed Changmin's arm. “I had a really rough time when I was pregnant with you. I pushed myself too hard and was very sick for almost the entire time. Then I had that fall and you were early. Sometimes, I blame myself for everything you've gone though.”

 

“It's not your fault.”

 

“I know. It doesn't change the fact that I felt to blame.” Jaejoong squeezed Changmin closer to his side.

 

“Dad...” Changmin choked on his words. He buried his head against Jaejoong's shoulder. “I'm really tired Dad. So tired.”

 

Jaejoong squeezed Changmin tighter and kissed the top of his head. “It's okay, Changmin. It's going to be okay.”

 

“Was it like this with you? When you were dealing with depression?” Changmin hiccuped and coughed.

 

“No. It was much different. What I went through and what you are going through are very different. But I'm here for you. You will always be my Changminnie and I'll take care of you.”

 

They sat together for a long time in the fading day light. Jaejoong combed his fingers through Changmin's hair. “I think we need to get your hair cut.”

 

“Do I have to? Junsu really likes it longer.”

 

“Do you want to keep it long because Junsu likes it or because you like? You shouldn't do something just because of a boy.”

 

“I like it too, I guess.” Changmin shrugged. He ran his fingers through his hair. “Does it look good?”

 

Jaejoong pulled away to get a good look at his son. Changmin's hair was just brushing his shoulders, falling in soft, dark waves. Jaejoong tucked a loose strand behind his ear. “I could get used to it,” he said with a smile.

 

“I like it when Junsu plays with it and tangles his fingers in it when we kiss.” Changmin frowned. “I really miss him.”

 

“You need time to heal. That was a very mature decision you and Junsu made. I'm proud of both of you.”

 

“Can Junsu come over for dinner?”

 

“I thought it was just going to us for dinner.”

 

“Oh yeah,” Changmin said. He had forgotten that Yunho and the twins were heading to Japan for the weekend. Yunho had a business trip and the twins begged for days to go. “After dinner, maybe?” Changmin was desperate to see Junsu and talk to him.

 

“He can come for dinner. I know you two haven't had much time to hang out.”

 

“Thanks Dad!” Changmin threw himself against Jaejoong and hugged him tightly.

 

 

 

Changmin and Jaejoong stood in the kitchen laughing and smiling like they hadn't done in far too long. Jaejoong missed this side of Changmin. He missed his son's laugh and smile. Jaejoong stared at Changmin for a long time.

 

“Dad? Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah. I just missed doing this with you. You used to be so attached to me, especially when I cooked.”

 

Changmin wrapped his arms around Jaejoong's waist. “Junsu's here!” Changmin shouted when he heard the doorbell ring. He ran to the door.

 

Dinner was a joyous affair. Jaejoong hadn't seen Changmin so happy in a long time. After dinner Changmin and Junsu did the dishes before heading up to Changmin's room.

 

“You're doing better?” Junsu asked cautiously.

 

“Yeah. I'm sorry I put so much pressure on you.”

 

Junsu took a step closer and smiled. “I love you.” He pressed a kiss to Changmin's lips. He tangled his hands into Changmin's hair and pushed closer, deepening the kiss. Changmin tumbled to the bed and pulled Junsu with him.

 

“Don't be sorry for anything that happened. Your brain got sick and that's all.” Junsu pushed himself up on to his elbows. “Everything is going to be okay.”

 

“Dad was younger than us when he and Daddy went on their first date. So, we aren't abnormal.”

 

“I know. Mom and Dad are just weird about things. They were both much older when they had me. They think I'll be trapped.”

 

“Do you feel trapped?” Guilt flooded through Changmin's veins like ice.

 

“Not even a little bit.” Junsu peppered Changmin's face with light kisses. “Tomorrow night I'm taking you on a real date.”

 

“I'd like that.” Changmin pulled Junsu so he was laying on his chest. “Are we together again?”

 

“I don't think we ever stopped being together. You just needed time to get better.” Junsu hugged Changmin tighter.

 

Jaejoong smiled when he went up to check on the boys. They had fallen asleep curled around each other; like they had so many times before. He covered them with a light blanket and turned the light off. Everything was getting better; little by little.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A short little fic prompted by justfor_u.

Also, I have kik, so everyone should add me so I have awesome people to talk to. my username is serenityeryx