Family Picnic

Forever Shorties

Jaejoong smiled and reclined back on the soft grass. He could hear his three youngest children laughing and playing on the swings. His perfect husband was cooking something on the grill. And his daughter was sitting at one of the picnic tables drawing.

 

Everything was perfect. Jaejoong closed his eyes and relaxed in the warm sunshine. He smiled to himself when he felt a tiny body press against his side.

 

“Hello, Hyobin.” Jaejoong pressed a kiss to his daughter's head. She giggled and snuggled closer to Jaejoong. “What are your brothers doing?”

 

Hyobin shrugged. “Boy stuff. They don't want to play with me.”

 

“I'm sorry. I'll play with you until lunch is ready.”

 

“I don't want to play anymore.” Hyobin pouted.

 

“Okay. Lunch is almost ready.” Jaejoong kissed her pouted lips and tickled her sides. He picked her up and carried her to the picnic table where Jyuni was drawing.

 

Jaejoong walked over to where the boys were playing. He sighed; the boys were covered head to toe in mud. “What did you two get into?”

 

“We were making a fort!” Moonbin smiled.

 

“Well, lunch is ready.”

 

“We're not hungry! We want to play in our fort!” Changmin said.

 

“Are you sure? Daddy's grilling up hotdogs and corn and green peppers. You like grilled corn.” Jaejoong wanted his boys to eat something.

 

“Can we wait until later? The dragon is about to attack the fort and we need to fight it!”

 

“It will all be cold later.”

 

“That's okay!” the boys shouted in unison.

 

“Okay.” Jaejoong walked back to the picnic table were Yunho was serving the girls.

 

“Where are the boys?” Yunho asked.

 

“Defending a fort from a dragon. They aren't hungry, so they are going to eat later.”

 

“I wish them luck on their fort defending ventures,” Yunho said with a smile.

 

Jaejoong laughed. “I never got that dirty as a child. I was always a neat and clean little boy.”

 

“That's because you were a nerd. I got dirty. Yoochun, Siwon and I used to go swimming in the quarry. Then one day there was a landslide so the quarry became a giant mud hole. That didn't stop us from swimming, or trying to. Mom almost killed us. That was the summer we replaced the carpets in the living room.”

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “Well we're hosing those two down before they even get in the car. I can't believe how filthy they got. You get to give them their bath tonight.”

 

Changmin and Moonbin didn't eat until late in the afternoon. They were having far too much fun just playing. Jaejoong finally managed to get them to eat a few ears of cold corn before the family went home for the night.

 

 

Jaejoong gave Hyobin her bath and cuddled her on the sofa. She dozed in Jaejoong's arms.

 

“Dad?” Jyuni asked softly. She had been unusually quiet all day.

 

“Yeah, Jyuni-Bug?”

 

“I need help with something.” She sat down next to him and handed him her sketch book. “I want to make this, but I don't know how. Can you teach me to sew?”

 

“I can try. I'm not really good outside simple repairs. I'll call Mom and the three of us can work on this.” Jaejoong stared at the dress Jyuni designed. “This is really good. Are you making this for yourself?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Don't go into the bathroom, yet,” Yunho said as he walked through the living room.

 

“What? Why?” Jaejoong sat up.

 

“Trust me. Just sit here and relax.” Yunho kissed Jaejoong's head before returning to the bathroom.

 

Curiosity got the better of him and Jaejoong went to the bathroom. He almost fainted when he opened the door. Dirt and grim stuck to every surface. Moonbin and Changmin sat in empty tub, still looking grimy.

 

“I know this looks bad Jae, I know. The boys are filthy and it's going to take another washing. I promise I'll clean the bathroom when they're clean.”

 

“I... They couldn't have been that dirty.”

 

“They were. But don't worry. They will be squeaky clean in no time.” Yunho ushered Jaejoong out of the room and turned back to his sons. “Now you two. No more messing around. Let's get clean and get to bed okay. Out of the tub so I can refill it.”

 

Changmin and Moonbin giggled and climbed out of the tub. Yunho rinsed the tub and refilled it with warm water. He lifted Moonbin into the tub first, but didn't let his son sit down. He scrubbed, a little roughly, but he had to get the boy clean. Yunho washed Moonbin's hair and rinsed him off with the shower head.

 

Yunho inspected Moonbin and declared him clean, finally. H repeated the process with a very wiggly Changmin. He carried Changmin to Jaejoong and smiled as Changmin snuggled into Jaejoong's chest. He collected Moonbin from the bathroom. Once settle on the sofa, Yunho pulled his family close to him.

 

“Jyuni's up in her room. She's been drawing a lot. She's gotten really good.”

 

“I noticed. She's so secretive about her art. I'm glad she's sharing.”

 

Jaejoong nodded. “I think Hyobin's asleep. I can't move to see.” Jaejoong was effectively pinned to Yunho's side by Hyobin and Changmin. Yunho moved slightly.

 

“She's out. So is Changmin and Moonbin. I'll get the twins you'll get Minnie.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Yunho stood slowly, careful not to jostle the twins while Jaejoong stood with Changmin. They tucked their children into bed. Jaejoong smiled down at Changmin's sleeping face.

 

“We've done good,” Yunho said softly.

 

“Yeah we have.” Jaejoong leaned against Yunho's side. “Is my bathroom a mess? Am I going to have to kill you in the morning?”

 

“No. And no. I just have to mop tomorrow. And do laundry.”

 

Jaejoong hummed and tilted his head up to look at Yunho. He studied the lines and curves of his husband's face. After so many years together, Jaejoong love Yunho more and more every day. And he knew their love would only continue to grow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A very short little fluffy piece because of the uber-anst of the last chapter.