Telephone Call

Forever Shorties

Staring at the phone wasn't going to make it ring sooner. Jaejoong knew this, but couldn't stop glaring at the offending telephone. He paced the room, chewing on his lips.

 

There was nothing else he could do but wait. He just wished he wasn't home alone. He had half a mind to call Yunho's parents and have them bring Jyuni home early but he didn't want to worry his daughter. He checked the clock for the fifth time and wished Yunho would get home sooner.

 

Jaejoong moved to the kitchen. Cooking always calmed him down. And there was nothing else he could do until Yunho got home. He was half way through a third dozen of cookie when he heard the door open. Jaejoong ran into the living room and threw himself into Yunho's arms.

 

“Is everything okay?” Yunho grunted.

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “No. My grandmother's in the hospital. She had while driving. She's in surgery.”

 

“Do you want to go to the hospital and wait?” Yunho ran his hands up and down Jaejoong's back.

 

“I talked to Mom. She told me she would call when Gram was out of surgery.”

 

“Okay. Come on. Let's go sit on the sofa, okay.” Yunho cupped Jaejoong's face and kissed him gently. He guided his husband to the sofa and pulled him on to his lap.

 

“It was so sudden. Mom didn't have a lot of information about the accident. She only told me to stay home and wait for her to call back.”

 

Yunho squeezed Jaejoong tighter and kissed his temple. He was silent as Jaejoong sobbed softly. He wiped the tears off Jaejoong's cheeks.

 

Jaejoong tried to listen to the comforting words Yunho was whispering. He was barely aware the Yunho was touching him and kissing his head.

 

They both jumped as the ringing phone pierced the quiet room. Jaejoong ran towards the phone, tripping over his own feet. Yunho steadied him and held his hand as he answered.

 

“Okay...” he said softly. “I'll be there soon.”

 

“Jaejoong?” Yunho questioned softly.

 

“Gram is out of surgery, but she isn't awake yet. The doctors don't know...”

 

“Okay. Let's go.” Yunho took Jaejoong's hand in his.

 

“You don't have to come.”

 

Yunho squeezed Jaejoong's shaking hand tighter. “You can barely walk. I'm not going to let you drive.

 

 

 

Jaejoong sat on the chair next to his grandmother's bed. Her hand felt cold in his. “Gram? Can you hear me, Gram? It's Jaejoong,” he whispered softly. “I'm here and I want o talk to you. I need you to wake up. Please?”

 

Hours pasted and there was no change. Jaejoong stayed in the room as other family flitted in and out of the room. He held her hand the entire time.

 

“Jaejoong, Sweetie,” Mrs. Kim said softly. “We need to talk. Come with me.”

 

“I can't leave.”

 

“We need to talk.”

 

Jaejoong took a deep breath and stood up. He followed his mother out of the room.

 

“Gram's not going to get better, is she?” Jaejoong asked softly.

 

“It's a very real possibility. I've been talking to the doctor. He doesn't think she'll make it though the night.”

 

“So... What should we do?”

 

“The doctor wants to watch her. If she wakes up we'll have a better idea of her healthy.”

 

“If she doesn't wake up?” Jaejoong coughed.

 

“We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm going to sit with her for a while. Go get a coffee with Yunho.”

 

Jaejoong kissed his mother. He walked into the waiting room. Yunho stood and pulled Jaejoong into a tight hug.

 

“Let's get something to eat. I can feel you shaking.” Yunho led Jaejoong down the hall towards the cafeteria. After settling Jaejoong into a chair, Yunho ordered them both light dinners and coffee.

 

Jaejoong was quiet as he nibbled on the baked fish and salad. He did however drink cup after cup of coffee.

 

Yunho reached across the table and took Jaejoong's hand. He thought about what to say and nothing seemed right or appropriate.

 

“Do you want to go home, Baby? Maybe get some rest?” Yunho asked cautiously.

 

“No. I just want to stay here with Gram. When... If she wakes up, I want to be with her.”

 

“Okay. Let's go back to the waiting room then. There's a sofa. You can stretch out a little and rest.”

 

Yunho held Jaejoong close, soothing his hair. It didn't take long for Jaejoong to fall asleep. Another few hours passed. Jaejoong slept soundly.

 

Yunho was dozing when Mrs. Kim walked into the waiting room. Yunho shook Jaejoong's shoulder gently.

 

“Yeah? Mom?” Jaejoong asked. “Is Gram awake?”

 

“No. It doesn't look like she's going to wake up. Your father and I have been talking and I know Gram wouldn't want to be like this. We're going to take her off life support. We don't want her to be like this.”

 

“Okay,” Jaejoong said, trying to hold back tears. Yunho wrapped his arms around Jaejoong's shoulders and rocked him gently.

 

“Why don't you go say goodbye, Jaejoong?” Mrs. Kim said.

 

Jaejoong walked, almost robotically, to his grandmother's room. She looked smaller, more frail then she had a few hours ago. He trusted his parents and their decisions.

 

As much as he grew up in the last year, at that moment, he felt every bit his 19 years. He took his grandmother's hands and kissed it. “I love you, Gram. I'll miss you. Jyuni will miss you too. I'll never stop thinking about you. Watch over us? I know we're gonna need it.” Jaejoong sighed. “I know you were really worried about... Well, everything. Me having a kid, and marrying Yunho. Hell, you were against me going to Paris in the first place. But Yunho's wonderful. He's been taking really good care of me. And all the problems I've been having since Jyuni was born. I'm scared that I'm being a bad Dad. I wish you wouldn't leave. Because I need you. But I don't want you to suffer. I love you so much and it's going to hurt not having you here. Please be at peace and don't worry about us.”

 

A doctor walked in with Jaejoong's parents. “We're turning the life support off now,” the doctor said softly. Jaejoong tightened his grip on his grandmother's hand and took a deep breath.

 

Jaejoong jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up to see Yunho, standing beside him quietly. The family sat together, holding hands and waiting. The heart monitor slowed, then stopped. Jaejoong watched as the doctor took his grandmother's vitals one last time and called her time of death.

 

The rest of the time in the hospital was blur to Jaejoong and he was barely aware that Yunho drove him home. He sat in his recliner by the widow and stared, dead-eyed at nothing. Yunho knelt in front of Jaejoong and took his hands.

 

“Jaejoong? Are you okay?” Yunho asked.

 

Jaejoong opened his mouth to answer, but failed. He wrapped his arms around Yunho's neck and wailed. He cried into Yunho's skin.

 

Yunho pulled Jaejoong on to his lap and let him cry without saying a word. He knew Jaejoong needed to let it all out. It broke Yunho's heart to see Jaejoong like this, but he didn't say anything. He could wait for Jaejoong to talk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A super short request from the beautiful vicshi.

vicshi is totally my angst-muse. And I LOVE it!! I hope everyone is doing well.

Please follow my tumblr. I follow back! serenitygracethings.tumblr.com  You can message me there and submit requests or just stop by to say hi. Or anything like that really.