Chapter 8

Persona

 

“What do you feel about this? Any ideas?” Detective asks from me holding out the torn picture of Jung min.

            I cannot find any words to speak. I just stare at the picture until I feel numb and look down. The atmosphere is very awkward today due to the incident I had with him the other day. But was I wrong? Was I?

            “I understand you’re upset Hyung Jun-ssi but you have to co-operate with us at this time. The case is getting very serious. Also Jung Min-ssi being an idol and having his picture torn away like this is no joke” He adds.

            “I don’t know” I manage some words.

            “I know you’re in a shock but could you please tell me if there was anyone who was not on good terms with Jung Min-ssi? It’s normal to have antis when you’re popular”        

            “Well… we all have antis not only Jung Min. I can’t recall anyone specifically, sorry”

            “Okay then-”

            “Are you sure Jung Min was the one who had done it?” I cut him off.

            “I’m afraid yes. The picture had his handprints only and even around the coat we found some hair so as we checked the DNA, it was Jung Min-ssi’s not anyone else’s”    

            “Then why did you ask about antis?” Do I sound offensive again?

            “Because there are millions of ways to trick something like this”

            I nod.

            “I was thinking to continue our previous conversation. I see you’ve finished what happened on the shooting set” He says while going through some papers, maybe a record.

            He places the voice recorder on the table and turns it on. He didn’t even ask me whether I’m ready for it or not. I take a deep breath and calm myself.

            “So after the shooting incident can you recall any strange behaviour of him that happened again; something similar to it or maybe worse than that?” He adds.

            I roll my eyes trying to remember something but my mind is blank. Maybe I’m too tensed with that torn picture that’s right in front of me. I eye at it a couple of times with a worried expression. Suddenly the detective takes the picture and shoves it inside his file. He might have noticed that it was bothering me.

            Suddenly an incident hits my mind. My eyes widen as I remember it.

            “You seem to remember something” He says and I immediately nod.

            “It was something that happened at the dorm few months ago after that shooting incident actually. For a while Jung Min was very normal in behaviour after he apologized to me at the set and everything was great on those days. But one day his behaviour changed again suddenly. We all were shocked. I felt like he’s changing but then again we can never trust Jung Min with his mood swings though”

            “Well well… if you can could you please start off with the beginning? Did you had a fight at the dorm or he started behaving strange suddenly?”

            “We didn’t had a real fight but Jung Min did started one”

            “Shall we dig into more detail then?” He asks and I nod.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyu Jonggie and I hurry to the kitchen with the rice cakes we bought. Jung Min is ready to boil the water on the stove and leader is cutting vegetables for the soup. Well usually most of us don’t eat vegetables but have to eat them because manager hyung is nearly killing us for not eating healthy food at all. I place the rice cakes on the counter and go to my room to change.

            As I come out all the members have gathered at the kitchen to make tteokguk (rice cake soup). I rest my chin on Kyubbi’s shoulder watching him cutting carrot. I laugh at it and take a slice putting it inside Jung Minnie’s mouth. He eats it in one bite. My god how much he love them? Ah paboya.

            “Hyung Junah cut the rice cakes” Jung Min says eating the carrot slice.

            I nod at him and untie the rice cake bag. Young Saeng hyung hands me the chopping board with a knife as he knows I’m a bit lazy.

            “Cut them thin arasso?” Jung Min says from my back and I nod again.

            I arrange three rice cakes together and grab them very hard because they might roll and I cut them into slices. As I continue cutting I suddenly realize that the slices are a bit thick; maybe very thick. I bite my lip thinking of what to do. Maybe I should cut them in half.

            “Ah what is this?” Jung Min suddenly shouts next to me.

            I startle from the loud sound and almost drop the knife. , I didn’t want him to see.

            “I told you to cut them thin didn’t I? These are like mega bottles! You never do anything right!” He shouts louder and takes the knife from my hand.

            “Kyu Jongah, go and cut them” He adds.

            “Mmm…” Kyu Jonggie slides to my side.

            I feel annoyed. He should have just let me cut them in half, why does he have to overreact to it like that? Mental case!

            “Aww don’t pout baby” Kyubbi rubs my shoulder and starts cutting the rice cakes.

            I lean to his arm and watch him cutting them. I feel a bit annoyed and angry towards Jung Min right now and I really don’t even want to see his face. He could have just let me do it, why ask from Kyu Jongah?

            “Mal, need a carrot?” Leader says while laughing holding out a carrot slice at Jung Min.

            “Ajhussi” Young Saeng hyung wakes up his voice after a long time making us all laugh.

            “Remember his bangs during the training days?” Leader asks.

            “I don’t know why on earth he had that style” I tease at Jung Min.

            “He really did look like a manager. I never thought he’ll ever get out of that old image”

            “Ajhussi of SS501!” Young Saeng hyung says again.

            “Hitler of SS501!” Kyu Jongah teases.

            “Horse of SS501!” Leader says.

            “Jung Minah, mal Jung Min mal Jung Min mal Jung Min mal!” I jump up and down singing the song.

            “Yah!” Jung Min punches me trying so hard not to laugh.

            “Park Jung Min Park Jung Min Park Jung Min Mal” Leader sings this time.

            All of us join the fun dancing around the kitchen. Jung Min keeps punching each one of us and asking us to shut up. My mood got automatically fixed until…

BAM! Kyubbi accidently hit the chopping board with his hand and all the rice cakes fall onto the floor. They roll everywhere and most of us unknowingly crush them while dancing.

            “Yah!” Jung Minah screams again.

            “Oh !” Leader says and we all bend down to clean the place up.

            “Look what you’ve done. Can’t you just be more careful in the kitchen? It’s not a place for you to fool around and dance. What if the knife fell onto someone’s feet?” Jung Min starts nagging.

            “Arasso” I whisper trying to calm him down.

            “Kyu Jongah be careful next time. Don’t play around like that and destroy everything” He adds.

            “Oye, why are you getting angry at Kyu Jongah like that?” I snap.

            “He should have been more careful then” Jung Min says again.

            “Jung Minah cut it out okay. Let’s clean the place up” Leader orders.

            “You all take his side and I’m the only one here thinking about others safety”

            “Yah Jung Minah no one’s taking anyone’s side right now. Let’s clean this up together”

            “Ah I won’t. If you did it then you clean it” He says as he walks out of the kitchen.

            I stare at him as he walks away. What the hell has gotten into him? He even shouted at Kyu Jongah. Well we always shout at each other but that’s just for fun, we don’t ever shout at Young Saeng hyung or Kyu Jongah like that. Jung Min has never done that.

            I take the dust pan and start collecting rice cake slices into it. I secretly examine Kyu Jonggie’s expression. He looks kind of surprised and obviously upset. This is too much.

            I throw the dust pan away and make my way out from the kitchen without saying anything to anyone. How can he scold at Kyu Jongah like that?

            I slam open the door to his room. He startles with the sound and suddenly stands up.

            “Ah what the hell? I got scared” He snaps.

            “So did I”

            “What do you mean?”

            “You never scold at Kyu Jongah like that, what is wrong with you, jinja!” I shout.

            “But he was too much”

            “No he wasn’t. He’s never too much! It was an accident and we all know that he didn’t do it on purpose. No one shouted at him then why did you?”

            “Why are you being like this?”

            “Because he was hurt”

            “Ah I don’t know” He snaps at me and sits down on the bed again.

            “Go and apologize to him”

            “I don’t want to”

            “He’s a hyung pabo! And you know he gets hurt easily. Go!” I shake his arms.

            “Right now the last thing I want to do is apologize, leave me alone okay?” He’s upset.

            “Jung Minah…” I say in a deep, warm voice. “What’s wrong? Why are you acting like this? You love the members so much right? Then why are you getting angry at us?” I add.

            “I don’t know” He says making his way to the window.

            He leans to it and stare outside through the glass.

            “Jung Minah let’s go and apologize to Kyu Jongah okay?” I rub his shoulder trying to calm him down without knowing what reaction he might give.

            “Arasso” He whispers and I start having a secret party inside my mind.

            Yes!

            “C’mon” I try to drag him by his hand but he’s still backing out a little.

            “Ah pabo” I add giving him a kiss on the cheek.

            “Yah! Stop it” He wipes his cheek a thousand times and I laugh so hard at him.

            “Come” I take him out of the room.

            The kitchen is clean and tidy as we enter. Leader is cutting some more vegetables and Kyu Jongah is cutting the remaining rice cakes we bought. Young Saeng hyung is making the soup at the corner. They all stop their work and look at Jung Min as he makes his way to Kyu Jongah.    

            “Mianhe” He whispers to Kyu Jonggie and curls his arms around him.

            “Now there we go” Leader joins in hugging Jung Min from behind.

            I immediately jump on leader and crush him. Young Saeng tickles me from behind and we all start tickling each other until we cannot breathe. The kitchen becomes a mess again but thank god nothing falls down. As our game finishes we all start cooking again. I idly wonder how we fight for one thing and then again do the same thing after making up. It might seem very silly in others eyes but… I got the best brothers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize that a smile is covering my face as I finish the story. I look away from YuhJoon-ssi and stare down at my hands as the reality strucks me. For a second I thought I’m living in that moment again. It all seemed very real.

            “So after that incident there were no fights?” YuhJoon-ssi asks me.

            “For some days… no” I whisper.

            “Alright, thank you very much for the session. From the information I’ve gathered up to now it seems like he has a lot of mood swings”

            “Yes, yes he does. But not serious ones like the ones that I told you about. It’s normal for him to have mood swings”

            “Yes, yes I understand what you’re trying to say. Thank you for the session again. When we’re ready we’ll call you again”

            “De, Kamsahmnida” I shake his hands as we both stand up.

            Kyu Jonggie and manager hyung are waiting for me outside the session room. I give both of them a smile and walk through the hallway.

            “What’s the story today?” Manager hyung asks as we get into the van.

            “I told about that day we dropped rice cakes all over the kitchen hyung”

            “The day he scolded me right?” Kyu Jongah asks.

            “Yeah”

            “Hyung Junah is the sessions okay now? Not uncomfortable?” Manager hyung asks.

            “I think it’s getting normal now hyung. But I was a bit upset today because of that photo”

            “I know it was disturbing. How’s your fever? You’re taking medicine on time right?”

            “I’m the one who always remind him to” Kyu Jonggie says messing up my hair.

            I pout at him and rest myself on the seat as we drive to the dorm through the busy streets.