Chapter 1

Persona

 

     “He hasn’t gone there either” Leader shouts across the room to the three of us.

     *Hyung’s aren’t paying attention since they are busy with their own phone calls. I give leader a nod and go though the phone book to find another number which might be useful.

     “Nobody knows where he is” Kyu Jongah* informs us again.

     I let out a big sigh and dial his home phone number once again with lots of hopes. But as expected the recorded voice repeats ‘the number you’re calling is switched off right now, please try again…-’ I cut her off and throw my phone on to the bed.

     “Shall we go to his apartment and check again?” Leader asks but none of us reply.

     We are all exhausted with this. It’s been one and a half days since Jung Min has gone missing. No one has a single hint on where he is or where he has gone. I feel numb inside myself since he has never done something like this ever. It’s obvious with Jung Min’s personality that he might pull a prank like this on us but surprisingly this time I don’t feel at ease inside my mind. Every time he goes missing or stops answering our phone calls, we tense but not so seriously like this. The whole thing is bugging me very much. He hasn’t pull pranks like this for two days but only for hours or so.

     “He was really weird in the past few days wasn’t he?” Young Seang hyung whispers.

     We all give him a huge nod.

     “Not only few days but for the past few months right” Leader adds.

     “He couldn’t stand the four of us at all.” Kyu Jong says.

     “I didn’t notice it at first because he’s always like that but lately it became worse” I wake up my voice after a long break.

     Everybody knew that if Jung Min started acting all fierce and challenging to our members, it’s just his mood swings or his normal behaviour and nothing else. But this time, it was different. Jung Min wasn’t Jung Min anymore. He always picks up fights with me and we both always end up getting angry with each other for silly things but we never take it serious. It has always been like that since the day we met but the first thing I noticed for the past few months with Jung Min’s behaviour is that he takes all our fights very seriously and starts acting violent. It was weird and unexpected but I thought it’s just his teasing, that’s all.

     “What are we going to do? Shall we inform to the police?” Leader suggests.

     “Let’s talk to our managers first.” Young Seang hyung says and leader nods.

     I slowly go through each of our members faces to read their expression. Leader hyung is carrying a very dark expression which throws out the fact that it’s his responsibility to look after s. It’s obvious from his eyes that he’s in a big tension. Kyu Jongah is looking nervous and doubtful as that Jung Min might walk in and say ‘haha, you all were fooled’ but something in his eyes says that he might not. Young Seangah looks tensed than any of us. He and Kyu Jongah have always been the most caring brothers to me and Jung Min as we are the youngest of the group. Leader has millions of things to do other than to go around and notice each and everything about us. He’s the leader; he has a huge responsibility than any of us sitting here. He knows that hyungs take care of us and that he doesn’t have to worry about it. Young Seangah is sweating on his forehead and he’s blinking continuously. I idly wonder whether it’s to hide the tears of his tension.

     “Hyung Junah, ask the manager to come to the dorm” Leader asks and I head out from the dorm.

 

It’s almost midnight as I dial manager’s number. I stare out into the air from the balcony as it rings. The night is calm and the autumn wind is soothing even though it’s cold. It takes him more than six rings to answer the call.

     “Did you find him?” He snaps the second he picks up.

     “No yet hyung. Leader asked you to come to the dorm”

     “Right now?”

     “Yes. He said we should inform the police”

     “We can’t report a missing person unless it’s 48 hours after he’s gone missing. You know the police law don’t you?” He snaps again and my mind goes blank.

     “Hyung Junah…” Manager says after my long silence.

     “*De hyung?” My voice sounds too weak.

     “I know you’re worried kid but let’s wait a little bit more and talk to the police okay?”

     “We searched in everywhere we can hyung: his apartment, his home, recording studios, dance practicing studio, his friend’s houses and even we called every single place we can think of but he’s not in any place we know”

     “You guys never get this tensed when he goes missing do you? You normally wait for him to turn up because you know it’s a prank. Why are you so worried this time?”

     The first thing which came into my mind was: “you know nothing about Jung Min do you?”

     “This doesn’t feel like a prank” I reply politely.

     He sighs but says nothing.

     “So are you coming here?” I add.

     “I’ll come in the morning”

     “Mmm… *arasso” I hang up.

     I knew he would say that. The only reason I called him was because I wanted leader to give away some tension from his shoulder to manager. If we get to have someone elder than us in here, then leader and hyungs might be get a little rest. I know that I’m tensed more than anyone else but the pressure on me is lesser than he others. I’m the *maknae, who want to put the whole pressure on me?

     The first thing I understood from the conversation I had with manager hyung is that Jung Minah is still a stranger to them. We’ve spent so much time together; the five of us and manager but no one has yet understood the style of Jung Minah’s pranks. I know this is not a prank since Jung Minah has been acting weird.

     I pace inside from the balcony and all three of them look at me at once. Their expressions expecting good news; maybe that we are going to inform the police now or that manager is on his way to here. I feel my stomach turning upside down as I’ll have to let them down too.

What did he say?” Leader asks and I tighten my jaw lines.

     “He said he’ll be here in the morning” My voice breaks.

     “What? Why can’t he come now if he’s awake?”

     “How the am I supposed to know?” I shout at him and lean on to the wall.

     Leader’s eyebrows fly high and Kyu Jongah clears his throat warning me to mind my words at leader.

     “*Mianhe hyung” I immediately say locking my eyes with Kyu Jongah. He gives me a little smile from the corner of his mouth and nods at me.

     “What about informing the police?” Leader’s voice sounds annoyed.

     I ignore his tone though I’m annoyed too.

     “He said we can’t report it unless it’s 48 hours after he’s gone missing”

     “That means we have to wait until tomorrow afternoon”

     “De” I snap and throw myself onto the bed next to Young Seang hyung.

     My mind is blank and the only thing I can think right now is that Jung Min is vulnerable though he’s always tough. He’s not well; he’s not strong enough to fight against anything right now. He should be cared by someone now, not gone missing without anyone knowing. We have only three months to launch the album and the practices got breaks with all these stuff: not only for the past two days but even before that. This all started some months ago but I never thought that the final result would be like this. There was a big possibility that at some point he’s going to leave the group but not to go missing like this.

     I hear Kyu Jonggie sighing heavily. The pressure has reached really deep into us. More than anyone who’s worrying about Jung Min, it’s us who are the most worried from all of them. We were the closest to him: especially me. Yes me! Everyone knows how much we fight with each other and act like rebel-lovers but I have the closest relationship with him from hyungs. He shares everything with me and I do the same. This is the first time that he has gone somewhere for a pretty long time without telling me. This is the first time I haven’t heard from him for a long time. He at least greets me with the ‘I hate you’ short message in the morning. I feel numb and pressured inside. I don’t know how he’s doing right now. Is he okay or does he have anything to be warmer. The winter’s coming and I don’t know whether he has any coat with him to save him from the cold wind. I don’t know whether he has anything to eat or any place to stay right now. He must be very lonely right now. I start to feel tensed and stuffed at my heart. It’s like my heart will jump out of my throat and I’ll lose my life in a second. My eyes start to burn and I clench my teeth together to fight the tears. But the thought that Jung Min might be hungry right now or he might be so cold right now breaks me down. My tears stream down on my face and I struggle to breathe.

  The last thing I remember is Young Seanggie pulling me to his side holding me so tight for me to cry all the way I want and my vision blurrs.