Chapter 4

Persona

 

     “Did you find him?” Leader snaps the moment he answers it.

     An electric hum thrills through me making me shiver. Thousands of thoughts keep flooding into my mind. I blink a million times to hold back my tears because if they say they have found him I know I’ll end up crying like nothing else.

     Leader takes a decade to talk again. Ah wae you so slow hyung? Palli!             

     “Ah de hyung, we will go tomorrow” Leader hangs up.

     Ah de? What? Is that it?

     “Who was it?” I shout.

     “Manager hyung. Police have suddenly asked us to come but they haven’t found him yet” Leader says.

     “What? They still haven’t found him? What the are they doing?” I shout with anger. My tone’s almost a scream.

     “Hyung Junah!” Leader shouts back.

     I immediately become silent.

     “They are doing everything they can and you know that. You’re just worried because no one knows where Jung Min is. Just wait a bit more, *arachchi?”

     “De hyung” I whisper and crawl to Kyu Jong’s side.

     I feel bad for shouting like that. It was like a second ago I said saranghae and make them all laugh. But now I have worsened their moods once again. Everything happens because of me. I wish Jung Minah was here so that we all can laugh at a time like this with his silly jokes. I feel the emptiness in the air. My mind keeps reminding me that Jung Min is not here right now. But then again it keeps tricking me like he’s really here. I can’t think straight or even breathe straight. I know hyungs are worried as much I am but I really do feel lonely. I need Jung Min; he’s the only one whom I have similar to my age, similar to my thoughts.

     Ah where the hell are you?

     “Hyung Junnie, you have to finish this” Kyu Jongah holds the ramen bowl in front me.

     My appetite for food have suddenly disappeared. But I feel hungry. Ah wae!

     “De” I whisper.

     He starts feeding me again. I feel like vomiting because I have no appetite. My stomach seems to turn upside down with nervousness. Why did the police asked us to come to the station tomorrow? Is it another statement session maybe? I don’t want to do it again.

     “Why do we have to go to the station tomorrow?” Young Saengah asks.

     “I don’t know. Hyung told they have just asked us to come” Leader replies.

     “Have they found anything about Jung Min?”

     “I don’t think so. If they have hyung probably would have told me. I think it’s just to collect statements so that the job would be easier for them”

     “They will find him right?” I slowly whisper to Kyu Jongah who’s feeding without interrupting hyungs’ conversation.

     “Of course they will. Eat well and go to sleep” He whispers back.

We are guided to another question room by a police officer. It’s a bit far from the previous one we went to. Detective YuhJoon is waiting for us outside the room. We all greet him with a bow. I start to feel uncomfortable around him because our last session wasn’t good at all. We ended up giving cold responses to each other. I wish it would turn out good this time at least.

     He goes in with our manager and we all wait outside.

     “Hyung Junah, try to be polite this time okay?” Leader asks.

     “Hey I wasn’t the one who said ridiculous things about Jung Min last time. My politeness depends on his attitude” I snap.

     “Are you talking back to me?” His tone’s aggressive.

     Okay, he’s pissed.

     “Mianhe” I whisper.

     “Do what I said!” He snap.

     I give him a nod and continue to stare at my hands.

     Time passes without my aware. Manager hyung comes out and leader hyung goes in.

     “What did he say?” I ask.

     “He wanted to know more about Jung Min’s behaviour in the past few months in detail” Manager says.

     “What did you say then?”

     “I told what I saw and what I think about it but he said he needs everything in detail. I told everything I know but he seems to be disappointed”

     “What does he wants exactly?

     “Watch that tone when you’re inside” Hyung suddenly snaps.

     My eyes widen. Was I that bad?

     “De” I whisper and sit down again.

     I ask nothing from the members who comes outside from their sessions. It’s finally my turn and I feel nervous. I keep reminding myself that I have to be polite as much as I can. Kyu Jongah comes and pats me on the shoulder asking me to go.

     “Hyung Junah” Leader raises his eyebrows at me reminding me his words.

     I give him a nod and steps in.

     The room looks dark and miserable. A desk similar to the previous one is placed in the middle and two chairs facing each other. Detective YuhJoon is waiting for me with a paper cup full of water. He slides it towards me as I sit down. But I don’t take a sip this time.

     “Annyeounghaseyo” He greets and I greet him back.

     “Our last session didn’t go pretty well eh?” He asks and I nod.

     I sense his apology but my expressionless face doesn’t even give him a smile. I remain still. He clears his throat and arrange some papers.

     “I asked others about Jung Min-ssi’s behaviour in a detailed way. But no one had an exact answer or anything such as when this all started or how it grew weirder and weirder. Since you’re the best friend he had in the band and the closest brother I thought asking from you might be really useful. I asked your manager about your schedule and he said you’re free a few more hours so is it okay if we start off with how this all started?” His tone’s serious.

     “Why are you asking these things?” I snap.

     “Then it will be easier us to get into a conclusion where he might have gone” He says.

     “Your job is to find him not to come into some conclusion and waste more time!” I shout.

     Wae can’t I control myself? Aish!

     “Can you please be more co-operative?” He asks.

     My face must have turned red with the embarrassment now. I stare at the desk.

     “Hyung Jun-ssi, we need this information from you because then we can come into a conclusion such as what led him to disappear like this or even a little hint on where he is. If you aren’t willing to be co-operative then it might take some more time to find him. And god knows what situation he is in now” His tone’s soothing.

     He’s trying to calm me down because he knows I’m annoyed. I continue to stare down as I can’t meet his eye. I let out a big sigh.

     “What do you want to know?” I ask after a while.

     “Are you sure you can do this? I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable” He says.

     “No it’s okay. Jeongmal genchana”

     “Okay, then can you tell me about the day all these things started?”

     “You mean the day Jung Min started acting weird?”

     “Ye, ye”

     My mind goes blank. I don’t know where to start. I know the exact moment where I first noticed him being too weird but I don’t know how to explain it to someone. The only thing I want to do right now is hear someone say we’ve found Jung Min but I know it’s just a fantasy. Police is searching for conclusions not for Jung Min. I don’t know how long they will take to find him but even though it’s fantasy for now I’ll make it a reality someday.

     I will find Jung Min from any hell he’s in and I’ll bring him out so that everyone can see what he means to me. He’s the best brother I had. He’s the best friend I had and he’s the best person walking on this earth.

     You are, aren’t you Jung Minah?