Chapter 19

Persona

Omma takes another cab to the hotel. She thought that having too many people around him might make Jung Minnie uncomfortable. If he suddenly get angry and do something stupid, then later on he would be embarrassed because omma was there too. I walk with her to the cab and wait till it leaves.

            “Take care of him arasso? When will you come back?” She asks from inside the car.

            “Don’t know. I want to be with him for a while” I say.

            “Mmm… Want me to get some of your clothes there? You can stay there if you want”

            “I’ll call you later”

            “Arasso, kanda” Omma says and waves at Jung Minnie.

            He smiles warmly at her and bows. The cab joins the traffic in the highway and I turn to his side.

            “Gaja” He says as soon as I turn.

            I nod. He signals for a cab to stop and we both get in.

            “So what do you wanna eat?” He asks.

            “Molla… anything you like” I reply.

            “You used to be picky, any other changes that I don’t know of?” He asks again.

            “Like you told me about yours” The words automatically snap from my tongue.

            !

            “Didn’t see that one coming” He raise his eyebrows in surprise.

            “I didn’t mean that” I say in an innocent tone.

            “I’m sure you didn’t” He sighs heavily and looks away into the streets.

            God why can’t I just not screw things up? The last thing I wanna do right now is fight with him but there it is; me picking up a damn ridiculous fight! He’s silent all the way to the apartment. I thought of saying something to him on the way but I just didn’t have anything to say. As the cab brakes in front of the apartment building he immediately gets out. I pay the driver quickly and get out.

            “Jung Minah!” I call him behind his back.

            “Wae?” He stops and asks but he doesn’t turn.

            “I didn’t mean that, it just snapped out of my mouth. I didn’t mean that at all” I say.

            “Dwesseo” He says and starts walking.

            I run to him and turn him around.

            “I want to settle this! I’m sorry okay? Just… it’s been really hard for me alright? It was like I don’t know, something stinging me day by day and I keep bleeding but I have no way to get out. It was so hard and you have no idea about that” I say wondering whether it’s good to argue like this.

            “So you think it was so damn easy for me? What am I, not human?” He raises both his hands gesturing the ‘I don’t know’ sign.

            “I didn’t say that” I whisper.

            “Try harder Hyung Junah… this Jung Min is hard to convince”

            “I know that! I know you’ve changed and that I can’t deal with you the way I dealt with the old you. But just give me some time to adapt into this alright? You suddenly left without a single word and it was like I lost my other half!” I stutter through words.

            “Look, I know it was hard on you; maybe harder than it was for me. But you suddenly appearing like this, it’s something I didn’t expect either so I need some time to adapt into this too. Do you know how hard it was for me to decide to leave? It was thousand times than your pressure. You’ll never know that! Don’t snap things at me like that again. Not only this changed Jung Min, but that old stubborn Jung Min didn’t like them either and you know that well enough more than anyone don’t you?” He pauses for a moment trying to control his anger. “So just don’t do that again” He finishes off.

            I’m practically trembling inside. I’m so scared that he’ll hit me again.

            “Don’t hit me” I whisper staring down at my feet.

            “Ah jinja! Paboya! Neo paboya! I’ll never hit you again! Pabo, pabo, pabo!!!” He shouts.

            I slowly look up at him and give him a slight smile.

            He smiles back. “Let’s go in. I’ll make you some ramyen” He takes my hand and pulls me through the doors.

 

I finish the ramyen bowl in minutes as I’ve starved since the morning. He takes the bowl from me and starts washing it; typical clean Jung Min. I shake my head.

            “Didn’t you have breakfast?” He asks while washing.

            “Ani”

            “Wae?”

            “Was in a hurry to see you” I say tangling my fingers.

            He laughs and sits next to me.

            “So, how’s memberdeul?” He asks.

            “Not bad. They were devastated because they cannot come”

            “Mmm… Kyu Jonggie alright?”

            “He took it pretty well, far well than me” I say.

            “As expected” He says.

            “Right. The emotional stupid maknae” I sigh.

            “Ah c’mon, it’s not like that. You survived however didn’t you?” He asks taking my hand.

            “Mmm… You know we had this detective to search for you, his name was YuhJoon okay.”

            “This ain’t going to end well”

            He reads my mind!

            “Exactly! He and I kinda had a lot of fights. I mean not huge fights; just you know arguments and stuff. He was so picky and stubborn oh my god. All the time he was this close to give up searching for you because he thought you have committed suicide. You have no idea how angry I was. We found that picture of yours which you torn your face off from. His first conclusion after seeing that was you are dead. I nearly punched him that day. Then I fainted”

            “Did he catch you?” He asks through laughter.

            “Catch my . I was annoyed with him all the time. He used to take all these statements from me, about you changing and you know getting angry and all. I had to meet him every other day to give those statements and that was like a torture. I seriously hate him!” I blabber.

            “I can see that from your face” He laughs again.

            “How’s my parents? Are they alright?” He asks.

            “We didn’t really meet that much. They wanted to come here but that doctor has told manager hyung that you won’t like it if many people would come here” I say.

            “Yeah I kinda don’t want much interaction right now. But I want to meet them. I really wanna see my family”

            “I know you do” I rub his hand.

            “Kibumah otte?” He blinks as he asks, maybe trying to hide his tears.

            “Not bad. He had schedules so he couldn’t miss all of them for weeks”

            “Yeah yeah, right. You shouldn’t have stopped the album work” He stands up and walks to the window.

            “You want us to record without you? Nope! That’s impossible. The fans will kill us if we release an album in the middle of such a crisis, no wait… they don’t have to kill us because we’ll kill ourselves for doing that!” I walk up to him and lean to the wall next to him.

            “But how can you suddenly stop all the schedules like that? We had all the music shows booked for our performance too didn’t we?” He asks.

            “Would you release an album without a member in it if he had gone missing?” I ask.

            After a while he shakes his head.

            “See! You can’t and that means we can’t either!” I say.

            “Mmm… arasso. I have to go to the hospital in a half an hour. You wanna come?”

            “Yes of course!” I say with an excited tone.

 

I wait outside as he goes into the doctor’s room. He’s having a ‘Q&A’ today. Maybe it’s similar to what I read in those hospital records; all the question sessions and treatment sessions. I sit down on a chair in the hallway and rest my elbows on my knees hiding my face in my hands. So many thoughts flood into my mind. I have to say, Jung Min did really well before in front of that apartment building during our fight. He really did control himself by his own. I thought that stupid fight I started might lead into a whole another fist fight. But no, he handled it well though I messed up since the beginning. Maybe he’s getting better now. Well yeah it’s been already a month so he has to have some improvements. The hospital reports said the disorder is curable so maybe it really is getting better. Maybe he can return home now?

            “Come in please” A nurse distracts me with English.

            “Me?” I ask.

            “Yes please” She says holding the door open.

            I go in giving her a slight smile and a bow. I see Jung Min sitting on a couch in front of the doctor’s chair. The room looks more like a living room than a channelling room. Jung Minah pats the sofa pillow next to his asking me to sit down. I bow to the doctor as she stands up.

            “Kim Hyung Jun-ssi nice to meet you” She says in hangul.

            “Ah ye, nice to meet you too” I reply.

            “For the time being until Jung Min-ssi gets better, I’m the assigned psychiatrist for him” She says.

            “Ah ye, ye” I nod.

            This is kinda awkward. Why did they call me in here?

            “Now you must be thinking why you’re here, am I right?” She asks.

            “Ditto” I say pursing my lips.

            “I just wanted you to show the hospital records of Jung Min-ssi up to date treatment sessions; so that you can get to know your friend more and more. I hope that’s alright with you” She says.

            “Ah yes sure! I will be happy to see them”

            “Good. I’ll show them to you in a moment. Before that I want you to tell me about Jung Min-ssi. I know you came here yesterday only but you know him pretty well so I thought you might have picked up some changes about him; whether he has gotten better or not you know” She asks smiling at me.

            She seems really nice.

            “Well… I think he can handle fights pretty well now. I mean not getting into throwing punches at friends” I say giving Jung Min a grin.

            “Right” He nods giving me an ‘I’m going to kill you’ stare with a smile.

            “Good, what else?” She asks.

            “Well the only problem he had was his uncontrollable anger and now it seems kinda settled so nothing else” I say.

            “Geurae. We’ll look at the hospital records then” She says and walks up to her desk.

            I look at Jung Min. He shakes his head at me with another smile covering his face. I give him a huge grin and send my hand through his arm calming him down in case he’s angry, but he seems not. He’s getting better.