Chapter 14

Persona

“The police have told that they couldn’t find anything” Hyun Joong hyung says.

            “What? How on earth can that happen?” Kyu Jongah asks.

            “But the reports had a lot of information about his treatments and all right?” Young Saeng hyung’s tone sounds a bit furious.

            “Why didn’t they find anything?” I finally wake up my voice.

            “Hyung said that police have said that Mal had stopped getting treatments from that hospital about like a month ago so there is no information about where he is now, and even the doctor he was channelling have told that she doesn’t know anything about him being missing other than what she was on TV” Hyun Joong hyung says.

            “But Jung Min must have told her something! I mean. She was his doctor and normally a person shares everything with a psychiatrist right?” Kyu Jongah asks.

            “Maybe Jung Min haven’t told her anything” Leader hyung says.

            “If he can share one of his psychological issues with a person why wouldn’t he tell her about what he is going to do next? Plus he said he’s in good hands then that should mean something” I say.

            “Further treatments?” Young Saeng hyung asks.

            “Yes, something like that”

            We all go silent for a moment. Hyungs are struggling inside their mind to solve this problem. How can the police just believe whatever she said like that? Jung Min didn’t share his sickness with us but he shared it with her. It seemed like they had a lot of sessions with her so that means he sure did become close to her. So he must have shared what he was going to do next or maybe she suggested it? Wait…

            “Hyung, what if she was the one who sent him off?” I suddenly snap.

            “What do you mean?” Hyun Joong hyung asks in a confused tone.

            “No, look. Jung Min told us in that letter that he’s safe and he’s in good hands. Maybe what he meant from good hands is something like Young Saeng hyung said; further treatments. He said he’s going to come back when he’s fully recovered then that means he left for further treatments. Maybe the doctor was the one who suggested it?”

            “Oh yeah! Maybe Jung Min asked her to not to tell anything” Young Saeng hyung says.

            “So she’s hiding then…” Hyun Joong hyung says.

            “Maybe she’s keeping a promise or something. I mean how she cannot know what he was going to do next because he shared everything with her even about the sickness he hid from us. I still don’t know why he did that though, pabo mal hiding it from us like that!”

            “Should we call manager hyung then?” Leader hyung asks.

            “Let me suggest… call him and tell him that we want to meet the detective and then let’s try to arrange a meeting with that doctor so we can talk with her and try to know whether she knows something, because even though she hid it from the police if she’s hiding something, she might tell it to us because obviously we are desperate to know” Young Hyung says to Leader hyung and hyung nods.

            “That’s a great idea!” Kyu Jongah says.

            “Yeah!” I nod.

            “We are bloody detectives!” Hyun Joong hyung says with a slight smile.

We walk through the hospital hallway to the elevator. Manager hyung was able to get the detective agreed to our idea. We told hyung about our plan and asked him to pretend like he knows nothing. If we even spill a word the detective might freak out according to his very-unpleasant personality that only I observe from him. He might start saying all those things like ‘we already asked from her’ or ‘we had already done our job so you don’t need to do it again’. Aish Jinja, I seriously can’t stand him much even now. It’s been like a month since I’ve seen him, well almost every other day and still he’s not so very my type.

            “She’s in the tenth floor” YuhJoon says and press the elevator button for ten.

            I lean to Kyu Jonggie’s back as we wait inside the elevator.

            Some alarm beeps as the elevator halts at the tenth floor. Detective YuhJoon leads us to the doctor’s room. It’s placed a bit far from the elevator and we had to take more than two turns to reach there. He knocks on the door and waits for a moment.

            “Please come in” A voice from inside says and he opens the door.

            A middle-aged woman stands up and greets us as we walk in. For a moment her eyes brighten up seeing the four of us like a fan girl’s does. She might be having her own fan-girl moment for a bit now.

            “Annyeounghaseyo, nice to meet you” She greets us.

            We greet back and a nurse comes in and fetch us some chairs to sit down. After a little while as we settle down, manager hyung and the detective go outside leaving the four of us with the doctor.

            “I’m really sorry about Park Jung Min-ssi. I know it’s really hard for you” She says.

            “Indeed. But we would like to know something about him from you” Hyung says.

            “Anything” She replies back.

            “First, if it’s not offensive, I would like to ask you to be completely honest with us”

            She blinks for a second and her breath fastens. She gulps very loudly and immediately regrets it because I give her a weird face.

            “Why did you ask me something like that?” She asks in a breaking voice.

            “Just…” Leader hyung tries to sound cool.

            “We aren’t here to trouble you” Young Saeng hyung says.

            “No, no it’s fine. What would you like to know?” She says.

            She leans towards the desk and places her hands on it and crosses her hands. From what I see up to now, she’s completely hiding something.

            “We just want to everything you know about Jung Min. We know the sessions he had with you and even his answers to them because he left us a hospital report but as we all felt, you know more than that. We are sorry for saying these things, if you feel uncomfortable but we really want to know” Hyun Joong hyung says.

            “I quite don’t get what you asked” She says.

            “We feel that you know more about Jung Min than we do. What we know is that he had a disorder, he took treatments from you and then he suddenly left for further treatments. He didn’t tell us but we know that he told you because he can’t arrange further treatments by himself, he has to get someone else’s help” I say.

            Kyu Jonggie slowly pats the back of my hand. I’m impatient, yeah and he felt that. But she’s acting I know! We have to know what happened.

            “Are you telling me that I sent him off?” She asks after a short pause.

            “Yes!” I snap.

            She blinks again and gulps. I see some sweat on her forehead.

            “We just want to know what happened to him. Not like we are some enemies of him who’s going to hurt him. Why can’t you give us the information?” Hyun Joong hyung says.

            “Sorry for all this. I apologize on behalf of them ma’am. We just want to know. If you don’t know anything then its fine, we’ll leave. But if you do anything then please tell us. We have stayed without members around us for months yeah but not like this, not without knowing where they are. Ma’am we don’t know where he is, how he is. We don’t know whether he’s alright, if he’s eating properly or even healthy. He doesn’t contact us and it kills us staying like this without knowing how he is. Please try to understand us. If we ever find him, we won’t try to interfere with his life, we’ll treat him normally. If he really doesn’t like us finding out about him then we won’t bother him every day, but just once… we want to see him once” Kyu Jongah says tearing up in the middle.

            I clench my fist and punch her desk as soon as he finishes. I’m so angry! I want to know where he is. For all this time, I was the one who cried but today our Kyu Jongah is crying. I don’t like that! I hate when he cries. I clench my teeth hard to stop the tears. I see Young Saeng hyung wiping away a tear and our leader; he’s expressionless, the strong one as usual who just says nothing when members tear up.

            “Jebal” Hyun Joong hyung says after a few seconds.

            She says nothing but continues to star down at her hands. See, I knew it! She does know something! Mal must have made her promise not to tell anything to us.

            “I’m sorry but I don’t know” She says with a breaking voice.

            “Are you sure?” I ask.

            “I’m sorry” She says again.

            “Look, I’m trying my best to be calm here but I know that you know something. You’re hiding because Jung Min made you promise him right? He always gets what he wants! You’re just being faithful to him but from what you are doing, you’re hurting us. Jung Min is one person but we are four people! You are hurting four people just because Jung Min is too full of himself! Yes he’s too much! I’m so angry with him for what he did. We would have never treated him different if he told us about this. He’s a crazy person! Please tell me where he is, I’ll beg you please!” I blabber so fast.

            “He fainted more than two times because of this! He cried so much. It’s a big effect on him. Jung Min was the closest to him. Please tell us where he is” Hyun Joong hyung says pointing at me.

            “I’m sorry” She whispers again.

            “So I take it as you are not telling us or that you don’t know?” Young Saeng hyung asks.

            “We’ll take our leave then” Kyu Jongah says and stands up.

            I sigh and stand up with him. Young Saeng hyung pats Hyun Joong hyungs shoulder and they both get up too. We all walk towards the door.

            “Wait!” The doctor shouts from the back.

            “Yes?” I turn around like a bullet expecting a zillion.

            “I’m sorry for all those things. I understand how you are feeling. Jung Min-ssi did make me promise. Yes I was the one who helped him to go away. I don’t want to see you all suffer anymore because you are same as him and I know how much it hurts to be apart. Here’s the information about where he is, I’m sorry for keeping them all in” She holds out two notes.

            I run in a speed of a bolt to take the notes. Members quickly come to my side and we all read them.

 

Hey Hyunah,

The patient you told us about, he came yesterday. We’ll take good care of him don’t worry. I won’t say anything to anyone as I promised. He’ll be good here. I arranged a flat for him to stay here for these days. It’s like two blocks away from the hospital. It’s near the beach so I thought it’ll be good there because of the fresh air. He’d have some time to himself. He looked so depressed. I sent an ajhumma to his place for cooking and cleaning stuff. He’ll be alright, don’t panic. Can’t you call now and that’s why I’m sending this fax. Call me soon when you can.

Love

Lin Chen

 

            I sigh as I finish reading it. We move on to the next note. It’s an address. The note has a hospital name at Singapore and an apartment address along with a name of a doctor. My heart starts beating fast after I read it.

             This is the best thing I’ve seen so far after his letter! After a few seconds Hyun Joong hyung quickly takes the notes away from me.

            “We cannot show this to the detective so now act like nothing happened, got it?” He says.

            We all nod at him and thank the doctor. I bow to her more than ninety degrees because of my happiness. I usually don’t do it that well.

            As we walk out manager hyung and the detective meet us in the hallway. We give very disappointed looks at them and walk out from the hospital.

            I can’t wait to get to the dorm to tell about this to manager hyung. Jung Minah, you just wait! I’m coming! Fast!