Chapter 10

Persona

I keep starring at the screen not even observing what’s happening on it. I decided to make myself busy by watching a movie but it doesn’t seem to work. I keep on thinking how he must be doing? Is he well? Has someone done something to him? Maybe this wasn’t his decision; maybe someone has taken him away. I don’t know.

            “Hyung Junah what’s up?” Kyubbi walks into the room.

            “Thought of watching a film, you want to join?”

            “What’s the film?”

            “Ah it’s-”

            “Everyone! Come here! Palli!” Young Saeng hyung’s shout cuts me off.

            “What is it hyung?” Kyu Jongah and I hurry to the room he’s in.

            “Look at this!” He shouts across Jung Min’s room.

            We rush to his side. He’s sitting on the floor with so many medicine bottles, tablet cards and bills in front of him.

            “What the heck is this?” Hyun Joong hyung asks.

            “I don’t know I was just going through Jung Min’s cupboard and this was rolled inside a blanket” Young Saeng hyung’s voice breaks.

            “What are all these bills?” Kyu Jongah picks up the pile of white slips.

            “Pharmacy bills right?” Leader hyung asks going through them with Kyu Jongah.

            “Well it’s normal for Jung Min to be obsessed with medicine though but this is a lot!”

            “That’s what I was thinking too” I agree with Young Saeng hyung.

            “Let’s call the manager and ask him to call the police. We should inform the police about this. They will be able to find out something” Leader hyung says.

            “Hyung Junah, bring your laptop. Let’s type in a tablet name and see what it’s used for” Leader hyung says and I rush to my room.

            Leader hyung takes the laptop as soon as I come and immediately go to google. Kyu Jongah hands him a card of tablet and leader types in the name. I try to read it but it’s too hard. Why is medicine so hard?

            “So this… okay whatever I can’t read its name; it’s used to relieve stress” Hyung says.

            “Hyung type this in and see too” I hand him another card.

            “This is for depression and panic attacks. What the hell? Mal never got panic attacks!”

            “Geurae” All 3 of us agree with Hyun Joong hyung.

            “Kyu Jongah call the manager” Hyung says again.

            “De hyung” Kyubbi leaves the room.

            I sit down on the floor next to Young Saeng hyung. He keeps on reading the pharmacy bills and leader hyung is searching on the internet for more tablets. I take some tablet cards and read them. The instructions say not to take more than one at once but most of the tablet cards are empty. I haven’t seen Jung Minnie taking this much tablets. He doesn’t hide his tablets, ever. Most of the time he shares them with us so that it will release our fatigue too but why is this tablet set was rolled inside a blanket. Even the pharmacy bills; Minnie doesn’t keep this much bills. But then again with his dirty personality who knows whether he forgot to throw them. But why hide them inside a blanket?

            “Something always comes up” I sigh with the words.

            Young Saeng hyung pats my back and continues reading.

            “Manager hyung is on his way. He said he’ll call the police and ask if the detective can come to the dorm now so he can also see this” Kyu Jongah says.

            “That’s good, let’s wait until they come. I still can’t find any detailed things about the tablets though. They are just for stress, panic attacks and such. Maybe they were his normal day to day medicine” Leader hyung says.

            “So if they were day to day why would he hide them inside a blanket? I ask.

            “Yeah yeah maybe he had some other reason” Hyung replies.

           

Young Saeng hyung opens the door for manager and the detective. They both arrived together to the dorm. We greet the detective with a bow and Hyun Joong hyung leads him to Jung Minnie’s room. Detective YuhJoon’s eyebrows fly high as he sees all the tablet cards and medicine bottles.

            “When did you find this?” He asks.

            “About like a half an hour ago. Young Saeng hyung was just going through his cupboard” Kyu Jongah replies.

            “Ah geurae, geurae. Can you tell me more details about this?” Detective turns to Young Saeng hyung and hyung starts explaining to him about the blanket and everything.

            Meanwhile leader and manager hyung goes to the living room to discuss something. I try to listen ti what they are saying but they are too far. I keep on staring at the tablets and the bills as Kyu Jongah pulls back my hand asking me to sit on Jung Min’s bed. I sit next to him and stare at Young Saeng hyung as he keeps on explaining.

            “As far as we found out, the tablets are for stress release and such” Kyu Jongah says and the detective turns to us.

            “Where did you get the information?” He asks.

            “We googled them. It was leader’s idea to google and see the uses of the tablets. We thought we might find something about it” I reply.

            “Ah geurae. I think I’ll have to call my team to take these evidences to the police station. Everyone has already touched the evidences right?”

            “Yeah we did touch them though. Is that going to be a problem?” Kyubbi asks worriedly.

            “It’s good if we could check the earliest fingerprints from the evidences so that we can be sure if these belonged to Jung Min-ssi himself or someone else’s”

            “He was the one who owned the room and we don’t keep our things in his cupboard so I think these things has to be Jung Min’s” I reply.

            “Geurae, geurae. If you may excuse me I’ll go and call my team. Thank you Heo Young Saeng-ssi” YuhJoon pats hyung’s shoulder as he leaves the room.

            I sigh starring at the tablets again. They are disturbing me so much. I seriously am angry with Jung Min right now. I mean how can he hide these things like this? Aren’t we members supposed to be sharing everything? Okay we all have our own secrets and we do keep things to ourselves but seriously this much medicine? If he wanted to take medicine daily and bought this lot we wouldn’t have told him anything. Perhaps we might have even asked him for some when we are having stress or depression. This idiot kept everything to himself! Aish Jinja! I don’t know what the hell he was thinking!

            “You angry?” Kyu Jongah suddenly asks and I immediately look at him.

            “Angry?”

            “Yeah. You just went aish jinja”

            “Did I?” I ask him in a confused tone.

            But I was just thinking it right? I wasn’t talking. Did I say that out loud? Oh well…

            “Why are you mad?” Kyubbi asks again.

            “Aniya… I just can’t figure out why he hid these things. He could have told us and we would have totally accepted his weird continuing obsession with medicine. Not like we would have called him weird or treated him like a mental patient if he told us about these things. He should have just told us. I hate this” I blabber fast.

            “Hyung Junah, not everyone is comfortable in sharing things” Saengie hyung says.

            “I know hyung but Jung Minnie often shares things right? He tells almost everything to us. Of course he hides stuff but this is so weird” I reply.

            “This is weird? Remember the time he tried to punch young Saeng hyung. Now that is weird and this is like nothing compared to it” Kyu Jongah says.

            “Oh yeah. I was Jinja scared at that okay? I’m the hyung but haha… I was scared. I thought my face would need plastic surgery if he hits me” Saengie hyung says.

            We all laugh as the incident was funnier in the way Young Saeng hyung explained it. But in reality that was a nightmare.

            “He tried to hit Heo young Saeng-ssi?” Detective YuhJoon suddenly comes in.

            “Ah yes. That was just one time and he was really furious” Kyu Jongah says.

            “Can you explain what exactly happened? Hyung Jun-ssi hasn’t talked about this situation in the sessions. It might be good information for me”

            “It was like maybe a month ago…” I start telling the story.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hyung Joong hyung keeps playing a car game on the phone as we practice. Teacher said she’s not coming today so she asked us to practice alone. We all arrived at the company one by one and started practicing a while ago. Young Saeng hyung is working on his lyrics for the new song as I give him suggestions. Jung Minnie and Kyubbi are practicing on vocals but only Leader hyung keeps playing on the phone.

            “Hyung come and practice” Jung Minnie calls leader hyung.

            “Ah nae, nae” He replies in an ignorant tone.

            “Palli! Teacher told us to practice all these things today. We have to remember the new lyrics even. She will kill us if we don’t have this done by tomorrow” Jung Minah says again.

            “Ah geurae” Hyung says again and continues playing.

            I eye their conversations meanwhile I’m helping Saengie hyung but I take a little pause to see Jung Minah’s face. He’s staring at leader hyung with narrowed eyes and curled eyebrows. Okay now I know that Jung Minnie is officially angry. Ah he’ll just ignore it and I should help Young Saeng hyung.

            “This is Hyun Joong hyung’s part” Kyu Jongah says.

            “Hyung come!” Jung Minnie’s tone goes a bit higher.

            Leader hyung doesn’t even pay attention. Maybe he has become lazy today or maybe he’s tired with all the practices. Well, all of us are tired.

            “This is my last time telling you, come!” He orders.

            “Wait till I finish the game. We practiced yesterday too so let me take a little break” Hyung replies and Jung Minah suddenly throws the lyrics sheet on to the floor.

            “Yah!” Kyu Jongah goes and picks it up.

            “I told you more than three times and you keep playing that ing game! What’s more important to you huh? Practicing or games?” Jung Min’s tone’s furious.

            “What’s gotten into you?” Leader hyung asks.

            “What’s gotten into me? What’s gotten into you? I kept on asking you to come and practice but you keep on playing that damn thing! You know we’ll be punished if we don’t practice. Why can’t you just stop playing it?”

            “I said I’ll come after finishing the game!”

            “And god knows how much time you’ll take for that!” Jung Minah shouts.

            We all stay silent as they argue. I want to jump in and ask both of them to shut up but it’s not a good situation for me to barge in.

            “When I finish the game I’ll practice. I’m not going to play this for another hundred years! Aren’t you stupid enough?” Leader hyung asks.

            “You’re the goddamn ing leader here! If you fool around then how do you expect members to act serious?” Jung Min takes in a fair point.

            Got to agree with that though but…

            “Alright! Sorry! I’ll practice now okay?” Hyung backs off.

            “Oh just get lost!” Jung Minah snaps and all our mouths drop down.

            “Let’s practice together” Our peacemaker slowly jumps in.

            “I don’t want to practice with him! He kept on playing that ing thing and now just trying to be the good guy here”

            “Yah! I said I’ll practice” Hyun Joong hyung’s tone goes higher.

            “Ah just stop it now! Hyun Joong wants to practice so let him practice. We’ll join later when our part comes” Young Saeng hyung says.   

            “Yeah” I almost whisper.

            I really don’t want to get involved in this. Jung Minah looks down at his feet and blinks a several times. I see sweat streaming down his forehead. It rarely happens especially when we’re in an air conditioned room.

            “You all are taking his side?” He whispers after a few seconds.

            “Nobody took anybody’s side here. We are just asking you three to practice together” Young Saeng hyung says.

            “He kept on ignoring me the whole time and now suddenly when I talk for myself you take the wrong one’s side and starts giving me orders?” Jung Minah asks.

            “We aren’t giving you any orders, we are just asking you to practice together” Young Saeng hyung says again.

            “So everyone just forget what he did just like that eh? So now I’m the wrong one here?”

            “Yah just practice will you? Stop this nonsense, what is this?” Young Saeng hyung asks.

            “You see this as nonsense? This is nonsense to you?”

            “Yah he’s a hyung!” I barge in.

            “Oh yeah he’s a hyung and we all should forget his mistakes”

            “Hyun Joong wants to practice so-” It takes Jung Minnie only a second to grab Young Saeng hyung by his collar cutting his sentence in half pushing him to the wall.

            “Yah!” Hyun Joong hyung shouts.

            “You. are. always. on. his. side” Jung Min says stopping in between each word.

            “Let him go” Kyu Jongah tries to take Jung Min’s hands off from hyung.

            “Yah! Stop this” Young Saeng hyung says.

            Hyung’s tone low and soft towards him but I notice Jung Min’s grab getting tighter at his collar. In a millisecond Jung Min’s hands brakes right next to Young Saeng hyung’s eyes as hyung closes them tightly as he can.

            “Yah! Jung Minah! Neo bicheoseo?” I immediately pull Jung Min to my side.

            “Yah! What the do you think you’re doing?” Leader hyung shouts next to Jung Min’s ear.

             My adrenaline starts to hit in and my body forces me to hit Jung Min right now! How can he behave like that with a hyung? But right now before anyone else, I should calm down. I don’t want to create another fight here. I count from 10 to 1 to release the anger. As I do I hear Kyu Jongah and Hyun Joong hyung lecturing Jung Min and Young Saeng hyung just staying there leaning to the wall saying nothing. As I’m cool, I examine Jung Min’s face. His eyes are red and he looks like he’s about to cry. Hyung keep asking him various questions and he answers none. He ignores when he’s about to cry. If this goes on for another while Jung min might break down.

            “Hyung I’ll take him outside to get some air” I say standing in between Hyun Joong hyung and Jung Minah.

            “Air? This idiot shouldn’t be getting air; he should be getting a good beating right now! How dare he treat a hyung like that?” Hyun Joong hyung snaps.

            “Hyung, jebal” I whisper.

            “Hyung Junah’s right hyung” Kyu Jongah goes to leader’s side.

            “Ah just take him then!” Leader hyung says in an irritated tone.

            Kyu Jonggie gives me a slight smile and I take Jung Min’s hand and walk him out the room. He stops from time to time but I drag him out somehow. I take the company’s back door and walk into the alley behind the company. It’s a bit windy today so the air feels nice. I take a deep breath letting Jung Min hear me sigh as loud as I can. He sighs after me. I think he’s getting on his senses now. I keep on breathing heavily letting him follow me.

            “Did I just…” He stops halfway through.

            “Unbelievable eh?” I say.

            “I was just…”

            “I know you didn’t mean to do that”

            “How can you say that? I almost hit Young Saeng hyung. Oh god I hate myself!” He breaks down.

            His eyes turns raspberry red and tears keep falling down as he tightly closes his eyes.

            “Yah, uljima” I whisper.

            “I’m such an !” He scolds himself.

            “No you’re not pabo! You were just… I don’t know maybe too angry or maybe wasn’t having any control on yourself” I try to calm him down.

            “I’m a ing-” I cut him off and hug him as tightly as I can.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I end the story and the detective gives me a surprised look.

            “What happened after that? How did you two make-up?” He asks form hyung.

            “I went home after that before Jung Min and Hyung Jun came back. The teacher forced me to come to the company the next day though I lied saying I’m sick. So after I came Jung Min just talked with me like he normally does. He acted like nothing happened so even I don’t want to keep any grudges so the fight just faded away” Hyung says.

            “Just like that?” YuhJoon asks.

            “Yes, just like that”

            “Very well then… thank you for the information. I will investigate about this more. Seems to be Jung Min-ssi had issues with anger and stress at the same time. I have a bit of a conclusion now. But I’m not sure so I will inform you when I have confirmed it. I might call Hyung Jun-ssi for another session very soon. Geurom…” He bows and we bow back.

            The police team leaves and manager hyung leaves too saying he got some work to do at the company. He asks us continuously whether we are okay being alone with ourselves. We let him go as we don’t want him to miss any important stuff because we are just depressed. As they all leave Hyun Joong hyung closes the main door and Kyu Jongah goes to the kitchen to prepare something for dinner. I follow him, not to help well obviously but just to stick around someone because I feel a bit down. Young Saeng hyung goes to his room and closes the door. We all get busy with our own stuff and the incident fades away very slowly. As I watch Kyubbi making soup I lean to the refrigerator and replace Kyubbi with Jung Min thinking how amazing it would be if he was here, right here, right now.