Chapter 38

Persona

As soon as Kyu Jong is near the room’s door I rush there. He turns at me.

      “Don’t say anything” I whisper to Kyu Jongah.

      He nods. I hear Young Saeng hyung and Hyun Joong hyung’s footsteps from behind. Both of them come closer to me and Kyu Jonggie.

      Jung Min keeps shouting at his phone and we all just wait and watch. It’s not very healthy to interrupt him when he’s angry.

      “Why are you always so against of me getting better?” Jung Min snaps into the phone.

      He waits a couple of seconds for a reply and then shouts once again.

      “Jung Minah...” Kyu speaks up.

      I immediately grab his hand asking him not to jump in between.

      “For once, for once just let me stay with my friends. Then I’ll show you the side of me which is getting better. They can help me so let them stay!” Jung Min shouts once again.

      We stand still for another while and then Kyu walks up to Jung Min.

      “Geumanhaja...” He gently rubs Jung Min’s shoulder and says.

      “Oh?” Jung Min suddenly turns.

      Then only he acknowledged our presence. He stares at Kyu Jong for a moment and turn towards the window once again.

      “Do you want to lock me up in some room and never let me see sunlight? Is that what you want?” Jung Min scolds into the phone.

      It’s painful to see Jung Min going through such a torture. He’s trying his best to get better but whoever is on the other end, probably the doctor, is trying to stop him. I don’t understand why. If we are ready to handle him in this situation then why does she has to worry so much?

      “Jung Minah” I say in a bit loud voice from across the room.

      He turns at me and I give him a huge smile. He stares at me. I walk up to him and hold my hand out asking for his phone.

      “Geumanhaja, geurae?” Kyu Jonggie asks once again.

      Jung Min’s face is expressionless. For a second I panic as nothing else, worrying he’ll suddenly explode with anger and hit us both. But he doesn’t. He hesitatingly nods and hands me the phone.            

      “Good” Kyubbi rubs his shoulder once again.

      Jung Min turns around in annoyance and leans towards the window glass and rests his forehead on it. He lets out a loud sigh.

      “Hello, is this the doctor?” I ask into the phone.

      But no one replies from the other end.

      “Hello? Hello?” I repeat.

      But there’s no sound.

      “Did you hang up before giving the phone to me?” I ask from Jung Min but he doesn’t reply.

      I tap my finger on to the phone’s screen; the phone is locked. But since there’s no password or pattern-lock I easily slide the unlocker and get to the home screen.

      “Forget it now... arasso?” Leader hyung walks to Jung Min.

      “Let’s just rest. It has been a long day anyway” He adds.

      Young Saeng hyung takes Jung Min’s hands and leads him to the bed. I sense the insecurity and fear inside hyung at the moment. But I don’t blame him. Jung Min is so calm right now and that’s what’s scaring us all. If he started scolding at us and fighting then, I think we would have been more at ease than we are now. I wonder why he’s calm. I wonder why he didn’t scold any of us. I wonder whom he was talking to.  

 

I suggest some games for all of us to sit down and play. I just want Jung Min to be distracted from what happened. He seems extremely happy for the members’ arrival. It’s almost like he has completely forgotten about the phone call. But I keep bearing a long face because I’m worried. I’m worried about these reactions. Sudden calmness and happiness: must be the symptoms of his sickness but still...

      Maybe I was secretly wishing for him to beat the hell out of us when we disturbed his call. But he didn’t. It’s a good thing right?

      Then why the hell does it feel so wrong to me? Nothing seems right. Something keeps bothering me and I feel as if Jung Min is going down the same path once again. New symptoms are coming; symptoms which neither the doctor nor I were aware of.

      “Junah, wae?” Kyu Jong sits beside me grabbing a joystick.

      “Nothing...” I shake my head giving him a smile.

      “You look worried. Is this about the phone call?”

      “Kind of... just...” I pause.

      “What is it?”

      “Earlier after Jung Min’s call, I checked his-”

      Jung Min interrupts my words. “So what are we playing?”

      I sigh and brave myself to fit into the situation.

      “Dirt 2? Or 3?” I ask.

      “How about Mortal Kombat?” He asks back.

      I little thrill of fear goes down my spine as soon as he ends his sentence. Why does he want to play a brutal game?

      “I thought we could play a car game” I say.

      “I’m so down to Mortal Kombat!” Hyun Joong hyung appears out of nowhere and grabs the joystick from my hands.

      “Of course” I whisper and move to the other side of the couch.

      Jung Min and hyung sits down excitedly and wait for the game to load. I keep tapping my fingers together with nervousness because I couldn’t finish what I was telling to Kyu earlier. I really want it out of my mind. It’s too heavy for me to carry around all alone.

      “I’m going with Kitana” Leader says highlighting her name.

      “ert. Let me select Mileena then” Jung Min replies.

      “Look who’s the ert now” Leader hits Jung Min with his elbow and puts the game to load.

      I keep thinking if it’s okay to ask them to stop this game in the middle and tell them what I know. But I can’t tell it in front of Jung Min either. Kyu and Young Saeng hyung keeps cheering for the both of them while I just scratch my forehead with fear. I feel like this is something members have to know. But I can’t interrupt them. After seeing Jung Min’s beaming smile through every kick Kitana receives from him, I just keep my words for later.

 

Hours pass and I drown in my favourite world: gaming world. Things that were keeping me from excitement earlier just vanish. Not that I erased them from my mind but for the time being, I can’t help but play the game. Being the professional gamer I usually am, I win against everyone; both in MK and Dirt. Hyun Joong hyung’s competition was a bit challenging but fortunately I have mastered these games.

      People wonder how I find time to play games among all the schedules. I never had an answer. I just feel that as long as you don’t give up on a certain thing because of a new reason, you’ll always be closer to the old things you used to love.

      And that’s the strategy I use on Jung Min. That’s why I don’t push him away when he’s acting like a complete devil in front of all of us. I don’t want to give up, ever.

 

Members sit down for dinner. Jung Min ate early and went to bed; which was my idea. I made sure that he doesn’t have his phone with him and the home-phone is disconnected. I don’t want anything distracting him. After a several sips of the soup, Kyu starts talking.

      “Is that doctor against of Jung Min getting better?” He asks.

      “I don’t know. But so far it seems like that” Leader answers stirring his soup bowl unintentionally.

      “I don’t really think so” I wake up my voice and they all look up at me.

      “What do you mean?” Kyu asks from my side.

I have to tell the members what I saw earlier. It might come to them as a huge surprise but sooner or later, they have to know it.

      “Hyung Junah?” Young Saeng hyung taps my soup bowl with his.

      “Ah...” I open my mouth to speak but the words swallow in my throat.

      “What makes you think the doctor isn’t trying to ruin Jung Min’s life?” Hyung asks.

      “Well, clearly she’s the mental patient now. Jung Min seems mighty fine to me” Hyun Joong hyung says putting down his spoon and crossing his arms.

      I stare down replying to none of them. They start blaming the doctor and how corrupted she is. I listen to every word without any reaction. After a long while of staring into Jung Min’s phone which is next to mine, I pick it up and go to his call log.

      “I really think she needs to back off, we are just trying to help Jung-”

      I cut Kyu Jong’s sentence in half. “The doctor didn’t say anything”

      “What?” He asks.

      “As far as I heard, she was telling something” Hyun Joong hyung snaps at me.

      “She wasn’t” I wait for a few seconds. “There was no call

      “Please don’t tell me that Jung Min was imagining that whole conversation Junah. We have enough things to worry for now” Leader says.

      “I’m not making things up! We can’t just ignore this just because we have enough things to worry about, hyung” My tone turns angry.

      “So you are saying that the doctor didn’t call?” Kyu asks.

      “Yes. Do you remember that I was trying to tell you something earlier before we started playing games?” I ask from him.

      “Before Mortal Kombat started?”

      “Yes, exactly! This is what I was trying to tell you, but I thought it’s not right to talk about it in front of Jung Min”

      “So you are assuming this whole thing because she didn’t talk with you when you grabbed the phone from Jung Min?” Leader asks.

      “This is not an assumption. I know what I saw”

      “And exactly what did you see?”

      “I went through his call log after he gave me the phone. There was no call”

      “Maybe you missed it” Young Saeng hyung says.

      “No. The last call he received was from leader saying you arrived at the airport. And the last call Jung Min made was like one day ago” I hold out his call log to the members.

      “Maybe he deleted it?” Kyu asks.

      “Be practical. I checked his log right after he handed me the phone. Probably two seconds after he stopped scolding at it. He’s no superman to delete the call that quick without any of us noticing it”

      “So Jung Min imagined this whole conversation?” Leader hyung asks from me in a worried tone.

      “Probably. I mean, he already hold a huge grudge against the doctor for trying to push me away. Maybe it turned into something worse” I say taking Jung Min’s phone from hyung.

      “Wasn’t short-temper enough? He’s now imagining things?” Young Saeng hyung pushes away his soup bowl in disappointment.

      “I wonder if we can save Jung Min” I sigh after my words.

      “Save me from what?”

      I turn to my right to look at the clueless Jung Min standing next to the kitchen door.