Chapter 22

Persona

How am I supposed to do that? I don’t know how to… Fringe pops up in my mind. Okay I’m going to be Walter Bishop for a while now. Okay… calm down… I say again and again inside my mind like mantra.

            “What are you looking at?” Ajhumma shouts and suddenly Jung Min takes the chance to loosen her grab.

            “Ah?” My mind goes completely blank.

            Jung Min gives me the scariest look I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s like he’s coming to kill me. He starts walking towards me and suddenly turns to his left. He rushes to the TV stand and ajhumma runs after him and grabs him again. She’s too old to hold him, he’s strong.

            What am I doing? Why am I watching all this like a movie without helping her? I come to my senses. I look at the little bottle. It has been poked a quite a few times. So this has happened before? I blink to stop myself from spacing out again. I peel off the cover of the syringe and throw away the needle cover. I poke the needle to the bottle cap and pull back the head turning them upside down. The yellow liquid streams in and I stop as the syringe fills in half. I place the bottle on the table next to me and look at them.

            “Here… I’ll hold him now” I walk up to them in fear trying to hand the syringe to ajhumma as soon as I can.

            “Are you kidding? Inject his neck” She shouts.

            “What? Me? Where? How?” I ask all the questions.

            “Grab it and inject his neck now!”

            “But…”

            How can I? I have never injected a person! It isn’t easy as she says. What if it hit somewhere wrong and it risk his life? I can’t do this! Andwae! No! No I won’t!

            “I can’t! Are you crazy? I’ve never done this before!” I shout.

            “Neither did I when this first happened! Do it quickly will you? Hit the side of his neck!” She shouts struggling with him, pulling him back from running away.

            “NOW” She shouts at my face.

            I startle. I blink a several times, take a deep breath… I have to do this! This is for Jung Min! I tell to myself and grab his collar. In a speed of a bolt I poke the needle to his neck without even blinking and push the head injecting the medicine into him with my eyes tightly closed.

            “Take it out!” Ajhumma shouts after a second.

            I quickly take the syringe out and throw it away. Jung Min is still struggling like a wild dog. I grab his arm and try to calm him down. He kicks the TV a several times almost making it fall off the edge. And then… the next thing I know is him suddenly falling onto me making me fall as it was unexpected. I quickly hold him and grasp the TV stand edge as he was going to hit his head there. The side of his head suddenly hit my hand and it makes me feel like the sharp edge stabbing into me. I scream with pain and ajhumma grabs him not letting him fall onto the ground. I hold him as tight as I can not letting him hit the floor. In a second everything becomes calm. He’s in my arms, still and silent. Ajhumma is sitting on the floor in front of me, panting and crying. She’s scared as hell and I bet I’m more scared than her. I sigh in the end.

            “Is he unconscious?” I ask her.

            “Yes, the injection is like anaesthesia but a million times speeder than that; more like a tranquilizer” Her voice barely comes out.

            “This has happened before?”

     “More than you can ever imagine!” She sighs and wipes away her tears.                              

            “How did you handle it alone?”

            “I usually carry a filled syringe with me around the house. So that when it starts I can inject him in a second but since you were here today I wasn’t much concerned about it. I thought he won’t get this angry because he looked so happy”

            “So my arrival has made him sad?”

            “No it hasn’t. He’s your friend; and I’m sure you know how his eyes look when they are really sad and when they are happy” She says giving me a warm smile.

            “Right now I don’t even know who my friend is”

            “Don’t keep doubts. This is your very Jung Min; he’s just changed a bit. People always change. No one can stay the same way they were before ten years”

            “I don’t have doubts. I’m just confused with everything. He was so happy back then and now he’s literally dying with regression and god knows how sad he will be when he wakes up” I whisper.

            “Don’t worry, he won’t remember much. The medicine’s pretty strong”

            “How did you handle this the first time?” I ask.

            “Actually the doctor gave me a trial”

            “A trial?”

            “Yeah, she made Jung Min angry and handed me the syringe and pushed me into the same empty room with him”

            “Isn’t that risky for a middle aged woman?” I ask again with a confused tone.

            “It is but I promised her I’ll take care of him so I had to face anything that would come in my way” She says and sighs deeply.

            I look down at Jung Min. His face looks so peaceful; a complete transformation for the scary face he had moments ago. He doesn’t move a single thing in his body, he’s so still. I get a bit panicked; I quickly put my hand on his chest and sigh in relief as I feel his heartbeat.

            “Don’t worry, nothing will happen to him” Ajhumma says.

            “Mmm…” I murmur and look at him again.

            What has happened to you Jung Min? Why are you so changed? Why did god do this to you? That moment when I read those sentences in the letter ‘I never knew my little, little mood swings were all leading to this’ I had a heartbreak. This! This is just… everything seems so cruel and miserable right now. I hate this! I don’t want to see you like this. My strong pillar-like friend shattering like this, it’s heartbreaking and unbearable. I just want all these to be over! Now!

            “Let’s put him to bed” Ajhumma says and stands up.

            “I’ll hold him like this…” I say disagreeing with her.

            “Your hands will turn numb then”

            “I don’t care” I snap.

            I want to hold him. I don’t care about my stupid hands. He’s my friend; my best friend in this whole goddamn world. I would give up anything for him.

            “Geurae. If you need anything tell me” Ajhumma says and goes to pick up the syringe case I threw before.

            She goes into the kitchen and comes back with a dustpan to clean the mess. I slowly slide with him to the armchair so that I can lean my back against something. As I’m comfortable I wipe away my forehead sweat and suddenly ajhumma gasps at me.

            “Your blood…” She whispers.

            I immediately take a look at my hand. The sharp TV stand edge has really wounded me. My hand has bled like nothing else and I didn’t even notice nor feel any pain. My palm is cut in a straight line and blood keeps flowing out. I notice the blood on the floor on where he fell. It starts to hurt slowly.

            “I’ll grab you some bandage, wait” She says and goes to the kitchen again.

            I wipe off the blood on my trousers and hold him tightly. I don’t want to care about my wound right now. Jung Min is more important to me. I slowly take my clean hand back and forth on his hair and forehead. He feels very warm like he’s sick; maybe he really is.

            He suddenly curls his eyebrows a little but make them still again. Maybe he’s just moving in his sleep. He turns to my side and comfortably rests on my chest. My hands start hurting as I’ve been holding him for a while now. But I don’t care, I really don’t care. He looks so… calm and kind right now. How can I ever live if something ever happen to you? I ask myself and it does nothing but making me sob.

            I weep silently and kiss his forehead.

“Paboya… paboya” I whisper and my lips stay on his forehead for a long time. 

___________________________________________________________________

huh... the chapter seems short.. however this was oringally written with the last chapter..since the whole chapter 21 took upto 6 A4 sheets I broke it into two.. yeah had this in the pc but didn't update for a while ;) rumor saysthat curiosity attracts audience so I tried that too.. anyway sorry for the short chapter..  and new subscribers : THANK YOU!  ... (oh and the edit.. I know I usually don't put pictures in my chapters but this picture really matched, the way Jung Min's leaning against him.. Couldn't resist)