Chapter 29

Persona

The doorbell rings. I take my hand off from his hair and rush to the door. The bell keeps ringing continuously until I open the door; its omma.

            “Ah omma”

            I calm down a little bit after seeing her. It’s like a saviour is here.

            “Where is he?” She asks.

            “In his room” I say and close the door while she rushes there.

            I go behind her. Jung Minnie is sweating like nothing else, even the pillows are wet with his sweat. The room is very warm but he’s still curling under his blanket mumbling that he’s cold.

            “Omo…” Omma gasps after seeing him.

            His face is all pale and his lips are almost whitened.

            “Did you call the doctor?” Omma asks.

            “I called ajhumma. She said she’ll come with the doctor or maybe alone, I don’t know-” I blabber.

            “Okay, okay” Omma pats my hand.

            I shouldn’t let my panic mode rise again.  I don’t have to worry too much now, Omma is here. She’ll take care of everything.

            “Refill this bowl with cold water and come” Omma hands me the bowl with the towel.

            I run to the kitchen. I lean towards the counter until the water gets filled. My whole body feels exhausted with everything that happened today. I haven’t run that far in that speed in a long time. And even I didn’t have a time to rest. I rushed here and there around the house. My hands are a bit numb and my legs feel like they’ll bend in half at any time. I sigh heavily and look down.

            The bowl is overflowing with water. Oh no, !

            I quickly close the tap and pour some water into the sink. How can I be this stupid?

            “Junah!” Omma calls from his room.

            For how long have I been in here? I sprint to his room again without letting the water drip. Omma wets the towel with cold water and places it on his forehead again. He keeps mumbling something to himself. I tightly close my eyes and sigh.

            His voice gets a little bit louder; maybe he’s trying to say something. I immediately rush to his side from the other side of the bed and sit beside him.

            “What’s it? Do you need something?” I whisper to him.

            He says something but I can’t catch his words; they aren’t clear or loud enough.

            “Jung Minah…” Omma rubs his head.

            He slightly turns his head to her side and gives her a smile; it’s barely visible. Omma keeps rubbing his head. I lie down next to him and stare at the ceiling. He turns his head to my side this time and gives me a slight smile. I give him a warm smile and he slowly turns away. I sigh, loudly. I can’t believe his situation right now. Two hours ago he was so fit and strong and now he’s weak and looking terrible. He curls inside the blanket. Oh no, he’s cold again.

            I place my hand on his neck and check his fever. His body feels a bit less warm than before. The fever must be going down. Ah I wish ajhumma will be here soon along with doctor-ssi. I don’t even have any medicine with me.

            “Omma didn’t you bring any medicine?” I ask.

            “Aniya. We don’t know whether it’s good or not. His doctor will decide that”

            “Should I call ajhumma again? Why aren’t they here yet?”

            “Mmm… yeah try calling again” Omma says and hands me her cell phone.

            “Aniya only Jung Minnie’s phone has her number” I say and try to remember where’s his cell phone.

            Oh god I don’t remember! I look around the bedroom but I can’t find it. Maybe it’s in the living room. I rush to the living but it’s not there either. Where did I put? Oh no, no, no!

            “Omma I can’t find his phone” I shout through the hallway.

            “Where did you put it?” She asks back.

            “Ah molla!” I cover my head with my hands and squeeze my hair.

            In the very moment the main door opens. I startle and turn to its side. It’s ajhumma and… another woman. She’s holding a suitcase and…oh she has a stethoscope around her neck. She must be a doctor then.

            Then where’s the other doctor?

            “Is he in his room?” Ajhumma asks as she comes in and I nod at her.

            The doctor gives me a slight smile and follows ajhumma towards his room. I follow the both of them.

            “Oh annyeonghaseyo” Omma says as they enter and bow at them.

            The doctor gives her a little head bow and quickly paces to Jung Minnie. She checks his fever first.

            “How much is it?” I ask with a trembling voice.

            “40 degrees almost” She says.

            “But I thought the fever went down”

            “Nah just the towel might have absorbed the heat but the fever is inside him. Ajhumma, bring a new glass of water to give him some medicine”

            “Ah, ye” Ajhumma says and leaves.

            I follow her to the hallway.

            “Where’s the other doctor?” I whisper from behind.

            “She didn’t come. She said he might get angry if he sees her. A tantrum is the last thing we need right now. He’s very weak so he might end up getting weaker” She says and enters into the kitchen.

            “Does she know? I mean, the fact that I decided to stay” I ask.

            “You are staying here?” She closes the water tap and turns to my side.

            I look down saying nothing. Please don’t start a speech here.

            “I thought the doctor made it clear that it’-s”

            “Risky! I know” I snap.

            “Do you even know what might happe-”

            “Just don’t! Okay? Please, not now” I say lifting my hand.

            She turns to the sink again and sighs. I sigh at my stubbornness and leave the kitchen.

            As soon as I enter the room ajhumma comes with the glass of water. Doctor-ssi is checking Jung Min with her stethoscope. I go and sit beside him on the bed ignoring ajhumma’s face. I don’t know how to face her now; maybe I was too cold at her. I don’t even know her that well and I just used a bad tone at her. Ah molla, things keep hitting my head make my whole mind a mess!

            “Hyung Jun-ssi, can you please help me to lift Jung Min-ssi up?” Doctor asks from me.

            “Ah, ye” I sit with my knees bended on the bed.

            I notice that he has stopped mumbling to himself. But he’s still sweating and curling from time to time with the cold. I slowly lift him up from his back and omma places his pillow vertically against the headboard. He slowly leans against it and makes himself comfortable.

            “Genchana?” I whisper to him.

            He nods very slightly and closes his eyes.

            The doctor puts some pills into the glass of water and stirs it with a stick. The water gets whitened at first but the colour fades away. It might be bitter; ugh.

            “Jung Min-ssi, here drink this” She says and hands him the glass.

            He somehow manages to hold it but I quickly place my hand under his hand for support. He drinks it one breath and makes a disgusted face; it must be very bitter.

            “The fever will go down with this medicine. There’s nothing serious, it’s just a fever. Maybe because it’s getting colder here so don’t worry. I’ll leave these pills here; give him another 2 pills after six hours. If he’s able to take pills then you don’t have to mix it with water” Doctor-ssi says and omma nods at her.

            “Kamsahmnida” I bow at her.

            “Ah it’s nothing” She bows back.

            I wonder how all these doctors know hangul. Maybe this lady doctor is a Korean doctor too along with that other one. Even the ajhumma is Korean. It feels like the whole Korea is here.

            I immediately shake my head to step out from my random thoughts.

            “Let him rest for now, He’ll be alright.” Doctor-ssi says again.

            “Is it okay for him to eat something?” Omma asks.

            “Ah yes. Since he had the medicine already you can give anything for him to eat. But make sure it doesn’t have much oil”

            “Ah geureyeo. Kamsahmnida” Omma bows and doctor-ssi bows back.

            She walks up to ajhumma and both of them whisper something to each other. Omma sits on the chair next to the bed again and starts rubbing Jung Minnie’s head. He sighs a several times. He must be in pain. He slowly lies down on the bed and omma adjusts his pillow.

            “I’m leaving with doctor-ssi. Will it be okay or should I stay?” Ajhumma asks.

            “Aniya, genchanayo” Omma says.

            “Geurae. Thank you for coming here on such short notice”

            “Ah it’s nothing. Jung Minnie’s is like my son” Omma replies staring at him.

           

Ajhumma left with the doctor-ssi. Omma is still next to Jung Minnie. He’s been asleep for quite a while now. Omma looks a bit tired; maybe she’s sleepy.

            “Omma are you sleepy?” I ask.

            “Aniya, genchana” She says.

            “If you are tired then go to the hotel. Jung Min will be fine now. Even the doctor-ssi told this ain’t anything serious so it’ll be okay”

            “No, no I’ll stay” She refuses again.

            “Ajhumma… go home. I’ll be fine” Jung Min whispers with a broken voice.

            He’s awake. I quickly go and sit beside him.

            “Genchana?” I ask.

            He slightly nods and turns to omma’s side.

            “Ajhumma go and rest. Hyung Junnie’s here so it’ll be fine” He whispers again.

            “Geundae Jung Minah…” Omma starts to speak.

            “Omma ga. You must be tired” I cut her off.

            “Ah these kids are kicking me out” She says and stands up. “You two haven’t eaten anything right? Shall I make something?” She adds.

            I shake my hand gesturing no but my stomach growls. Jung Minnie sniffs at it.

            “I’ll make some rice. Jung Minah do you need something special?” She asks from him giving me a teasing smile.

            “Aniyo, genchanayo” He whispers.

            “Mmm geurae. Junah stay next to him. I’ll go make some rice for you two to eat” Omma says and leaves the room.

            I sit beside Jung Minnie and he slowly turns to my side.

            “Hyung Junah…” He whispers.

            “Ah?” I lean to him since his voice is so low.

            “I want to get over with this soon” He says.          

            “Ah don’t worry, the fever will go down soon”

            “Aniya, that’s not what I meant. I meant this psycho thing”

            “Ah… I know you do. But we are trying right? And even I said I’ll help you so-”

            “I think this whole staying away from friends and family thing is not helping me out” He cuts me in the middle of my sentence.

            I say nothing but sigh.

            “Maybe I should talk with my parents at least”

            My mouth drops open. Finally!

            “I’ll dial their number for you, wait” I try to get off the bed but-

            “No, I mean not now. Later when I’m a bit fit enough”

            “Oh” I sit back again next to him.

            “I really want to get over with this. I have an idea; do you think it’ll work?” He asks.

            “I don’t know whether it’ll work if you don’t tell me what it is” I say in a teasing tone.

            He puffs at me and smile.

            “I was just thinking that; what if members come here? I mean not that you are a bad care-taker or something” He pauses. “Well you are but… occasionally you act intelligently but let’s face it, we all know how bad you are at this” He chuckles.

            “Yah!” I punch him on his hand.

            “Rascal! It hurts!” He snaps.

            “Ah, ah mianhe mianhe” I chuckle and rub his hand where I punched.

            “I thought if I could have some friends here then you know, I might forget all this pressure and all. I don’t know it’s just a thought” He says.

            “I think it’s a great idea” I reply back.

            It really is! If members come here, he’d have more friends and more people to talk to. We usually have a lot of fun when we are together. He’s right; having friends by your side can really help you to forget certain things.

            “Should I ask the members then?” I add.

            “If they are able to come then… I still don’t want to go there yet so they’d have to come here. I don’t know why I don’t want to go” He says.

            “Even if you go now, the whole media will be focused on you and even fans and all. I won’t let you go there now either so we’ll work this out okay?” I say.

            “Will they get permission to come?” He asks.

            “Well, our album work is already stopped anyway. Members are pretty much jobless” I sniff.

            “I don’t know whether I’m ready or not for this but… I really want to get better soon and it’s just so annoying that I haven’t got any better for the past two months! Ah if only I knew that this whole isolated plan won’t work” He whispers.

            “Hmmm…”

            “I mean how can a person get better anyway? I had the same lifestyle for two months until you came. All I did was the beach walk, therapy session, play some random game and just sleep at night. Other than that I had no social life or friends or anything. I’m such an idiot!” He points at himself.

            “Don’t think about those things right now. At least you agreed to get treatments and everything and that’s a huge thing”

            “I don’t know whether it’ll work but I really feel that I could use some friends right now”

            “I know what you mean” I say.

            He says nothing back. I stare at him. Moments ago he was opposing every treatment and he literally hated himself but now he’s making an effort to get better. At least he agreed! Thank god his mind didn’t change though he fell ill! Daenghida…

            I sigh with relief.

However going back home ain’t a good idea at all. I really wish members could come here. I need them more than he does. I know I can’t handle this alone though I took all the responsibility to myself. But now even Jung Minnie wants the members to come. Having them here would make everything alright I’m sure. At least Jung Minnie will laugh more and it will fade away his pressure and stress. He won’t have doubts on anything and he will try his best to get better won’t he?

            Yes, calling the members here is the best thing to do right now. I really wish the company will give them permission. This time I think we’d have to tell the company the truth. A lie won’t work this time and it’s obvious. I hope that ‘pain in the ’ detective won’t oppose to this or get all worked up. I really wish Jung Min’s wish will come true without any problems. If I’d have to beg the company then I’ll do that too. I just want my friend to get better and that’s the most important thing right now!

            I leave his room without telling him anything. I pace to the living and grab my phone from the charger. I go back to his room with it. He gives me a confused expression but I ignore it and dial Hyun Joong hyung’s number.  

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the long chapter. But thank you for reading! and also thank you for your love to Timeless Love ^^ I really appreciate it and thank you for the votes for Persona too ^_^