chapter thirteen.

Pandora 2

 SHINEE - GREEN RAIN


Sehun sighed as he looked at the boy in the mirror who was looking straight back at him. He found dark circles under his eyes and exhaled sharply. It was Christmas Day, and the streets were a winter wonderland. He heard children shrieking and laughing as they played in the snow with family and friends. He shuffled downstairs into the living room, finding a lit Christmas tree in the corner. Truthfully, it didn’t feel like Christmas to him. It was so quiet and stiff in the house. On Christmas Days, he was used to the warm smell of gingerbread cookies, the laughter of joy that his uncle’s family shared, and the sound of presents unwrapping, while he stayed upstairs, sleeping in. He was used to that. He hadn’t had a proper Christmas since he was young. Even though it was Christmas, he couldn’t help, but become so sad during Christmas. The tragic accident always flashed back to him before he could open his eyes on Christmas Day.

The doorbell rang, interrupting the silence that surrounded him. He blinked as he opened the door, thinking that it could be one of his friends. As he opens the door, he finds a box of cookies in front of his eyes, but he couldn’t see who it was. The box was lowered, revealing the face of the joyful girl that lived across from him. A smiled spreads across both their faces. “Merry Christmas~” Minyoung said in a sing-song voice. Sehun smiled a tad and stepped aside, letting Minyoung enter his house. “Since we’re both spending Christmas alone, I figured I should come over and give you a batch of cookies that I freshly baked earlier,” she said with a sweet smile.
Sehun chuckled, “Are you trying to make the whole nation get diabetes with the cookies that you’re passing out?”
“Oh, come on. It’s Christmas. Eating cookies once in awhile is fine, and Christmas is meant for happiness right?” Minyoung said as she placed the cookies onto the coffee table.
Sehun shook his head, the smile remained on his face as he picked up a cookie, “Then don’t mind if I do. But if I get diabetes, I’m blaming you,” he said with a chuckle as he stuffed his mouth with the cookie.
“Feel free to,” Minyoung said, smiling wider. “So what are you doing on this fine Christmas Day?” she asked as she ate one of the cookies herself.

Sehun shrugged. “Sleep, eat these, sleep?”
Minyoung frowned, “No opening presents?”
Sehun glanced at the tree that had no presents underneath and sighed, “Looks like Santa thinks I’m a naughty boy. I didn’t even receive coal like I should have,” he says as he lets out a weak chuckle. He stopped when he realized Minyoung was silent.
“You really like to push yourself down, huh?” she asked, tilting her head to the side as she looked at Sehun.
Sehun looked at the ground, his elbows on his knees and hands folded together, “It’s... Better than giving myself a compliment that isn’t true.”

“Hmm.” Minyoung glanced to the side and sighed as she scooted closer to Sehun. “That’s true, ‘cause complimenting yourself is hard. But it’ll continue to be hard if you keep pushing yourself down, insulting yourself.” She sighed and looked at him once more, “Come here.” She grabbed Sehun’s wrist and pulled him towards the mirror that hung on the wall. Sehun stood in front of the mirror and stared at himself with a blank face. “Aish, stop looking like the Grinch,” Minyoung said as she nudged him in the ribs. “Take a deep breath and look at yourself in the mirror.” Sehun glanced at Minyoung before taking a deep breath and looked at himself in the mirror. “Now give yourself a compliment.”
“Sehun, you’re...” He looked at himself and sighed, “Pathetic.”

“That doesn’t seem like a compliment at all,” Minyoung said, frowning. “Watch me.” Minyoung took a deep breath and looked at her reflection in the mirror, “Minyoung, you’re very smart and pretty. People may seem to push you down, but you keep trying to get yourself back up without a complaint. No matter what people say about you, don’t take it by heart. Your opinions on yourself matter more than others’ opinions on you.” She ended with a smile and looked up at Sehun. “See? I’m all better!” she said with a wide smile. “Your turn.”
Sehun sighed and looked at himself in the mirror again. “Sehun...” Sehun hesitated as he looked for the right words,  “You deserve better than you receive now.”
“That’s a good start. If you compliment yourself often and ignore people’s comments, then you will feel like the person you should be,” she said with a smile. “I always do this every time I get home from work or school. It helps me become the person I should really be.” She looked up at Sehun and smiled gently, “How do you feel? Good? Great? Better?”
Sehun smiled at the short girl in front of him, “Good. I feel good.” The two exchanged smiles.

*So this is how you’re able to survive high school. This is why you casually ignore the rude comments and glares that are made towards you. Wow, Minyoung. You’re one weird girl. I respect.*


Short update! Gotta sleep. It’s almost midnight. c:
Hope you guys liked the chapter. I wanted to write more, but I have to avoid cleaning up the kitchen that my parents made. OTL

Hm. I'm losing subbers?