Chapter 35

A Cracked Reflection

I've updated twice in the past 24 hours, so if you havn't read Chapter 34, please do so~ :D


It had taken Eunseok’s doctor five times of coming in and telling Youngjae and Daehyun they were exciting him too much before he finally kicked the two out. They left, rather unwillingly, giving Eunseok hugs before they went and promising to come back and visit him again within the next few days to hear more of the old man’s stories.

Taking the elevator down, and mindful of the suspicious nurse, they snuck through the halls and were soon back in Himchan’s room.

“I hope he’s okay… we left him alone for a while…”

Daehyun nodded, “He had Jongup on the phone, knowing him, He talked to him until the phone died…”

Youngjae laughed a little as he eased open the door for Himchan’s room. He stifled the next laugh, not wanting to wake up the medicated man as he approached the bedside.

Himchan was curled up on his good side, a pillow tucked against his stomach to help support himself from rolling onto his bad arm. The phone was resting on top of his limp palm as Himchan slept on, oblivious to the world around him. Youngjae walked over, easing the phone away from Himchan. His eyebrows furrowed, “Wait a second… This is JB’s phone…” He said, trying to power on the dead phone. He looked around before glancing under the bed, finding Himchan’s own phone plugged in and hidden beneath the bed so that any other nurses wouldn’t find it.

Daehyun shook his head, “It’ll probably be best to just let Jongup stay here with Himchan… otherwise, I have a feeling Himchan would kill every nurse’s phone on this floor just so he could talk to his ‘puppy’…”

Youngjae smiled as he set JB’s phone onto the side table. He leaned over the bed and tucked the sheets in around Himchan before taking a seat next to Daehyun. “Himchan hyung really looks after Jongup… Did something happen between those two?”

Daehyun let out a heavy breath of air as he settled back into his chair, watching Himchan. “I’d prefer you actually asked Himchan about this… I’ve only heard what Zelo’s heard… and he got everything from Yongguk, so there’s no telling how much of the story is missing.” He looked at Youngjae, “But, there’s no telling how long Himchan is going to be on pain medication, and it’d only be confusing to have him explain it to you in his metaphors…”

 “Yeah… earlier he told me that he had noodles in his brain and couldn’t figure out how to cook them…” He smiled a little as Daehyun shook his head with a bit of laughter, “So, you don’t mind telling me?”

Daehyun shrugged, “Meh, why not? Just remember, I don’t know everything about that night…”

Youngjae nodded quickly, turning in his chair to face Daehyun better.

“Alright… So… Apparently Himchan was the one that found Jongup… maybe, a month after he’d officially joined B.A.P……”

 

Himchan shoved his hands into his pockets, keeping his head down and the hood up as he kept up the fast pace he had set. He didn’t like being outside at this time at night, let alone, well… alone. But there he was, walking through the rather sketchy streets on his way back to the apartment because he just had to have his coffee. Stupid caffeinated goodness… one day it was going to cause him trouble, he just knew it.

A wave of sudden, unexplained terror rolled down his back as he froze in mid step, looking around quickly with wide eyes at the empty streets. He spun around quickly, looking behind himself to make sure he hadn’t been followed. Once he was reassured that nobody as following, Himchan turned back forward to walk on. He nearly screamed in fright as a grip, not strong enough to keep him from ripping away, grabbed at his wrist.

As quick as light, Himchan was spinning back around, expecting to see some over sized man, drunk or worse, one of the guys from his old college. Just as he was beginning to panic, he was met with the sight of a small kid, already shrinking back away from him in fright.

“I… I’m sorry, Mister… I… I just...”

Himchan felt his defensives deflating as the kid began to sniffle, rubbing his sleeve against his nose as he kept his gaze at the ground. Of course, Himchan had to stop in between the street lights, causing him to try to squint through the darkness to see the small boy. “Hey… hey now…don’t cry, okay… I’m sorry, you just scared me…” Himchan kneeled down to the boys level, ignoring the thoughts of disgust at the dirt he was probably getting onto his jeans. He reached out to put a reassuring hand on the boys shoulder, but he ended up flinching away from Himchan’s touch.

“No... No don’t touch me, I’m dirty…”

“I… what? What do you mean?” Himchan watched as the boy shook his head some more, trying his best to wipe his palms on his shirt before unhooking one strap of a backpack to pull it to his front so that he could dig down into it. Himchan was surprised as the thin sheets of paper were being presses into his hands.

“I just want to use your shower… please.”

Out of habit, Himchan was already straightening the money that had been handed to him. Expecting to only find a few won, Himchan almost fell to the ground as he quickly looked up to the boy. “Y...yah! This is nearly half a million won!”

The boy looked frightened. “I…Is it not enough, sir?” He asked, going to reach back into his back pack.

“Yah! Yah, stop that!” Himchan said quickly, pressing the money back into the kid’s hand. “C’mon, just, put that up before someone sees, you don’t have to pay me to use the shower, alright...” Himchan looked around, just expecting the worst of people to come and take the boys money. Quickly standing, Himchan took the kid’s hand and began to walk along, “C’mon, I’ll make you dinner too, okay?”

“Wait! Wait, my hands are dirty, don’t hold it!” The boy said, trying to push Himchan’s hand away from his own, following along behind the taller male all the same.

“It’s fine… I don’t mind…” Himchan said, ignoring the sticky substance that was rubbing from the boy’s hand onto his own. “My place is right up here… I’ll just wash my hands when we get inside.”

The boy had fallen silent, allowing Himchan to hold onto his hand as he walked along with the quick pace, trying to curl up on himself every time they passed under a street light. He let a sigh of relief pass his lips as Himchan not once looked down at him, even once they reached the bright interior of the apartment complex.

“It’s just up here, okay?” Himchan said as he led the boy up the stairs. They stopped in front of a door and Himchan finally let go of the boys hand to reach into his pocket for his house key. Just before he inserted it into the lock, he caught sight of the sticky substance that had rubbed off on his hand. The key clattered to the ground as he opened his palm all the way, staring down at it in shock before slowly turning back to look at the boy he had drug home. His clean hand flew up, covering his mouth as paled at the sight.

The boy stared back up at him, tears in his eyes as he tried to wipe off his hands again, “I’m sorry, sir, for getting your hand dirty…” he said quietly. A hand print was smeared down the left side of his face and neck, the once bright crimson it had been painted in having turned a darker brown as it dried to his skin. His clothes were splattered, a spots still damp with the red. His hands were the worse, not a single bit of the pale skin visible beneath the smeared red that extended all the way up to his elbows, soaked into his sleeves.

Himchan shook his head quickly, stooping down to pick up his key once more. “L…Like I said, I… can wash my hand when we get inside.” He whispered, trying to keep his voice from shaking as he opened the door. “C’mon… the bathroom is this way…” he reached down, and despite the boys withdraw, took the hand in his own again and ignored the churn of his stomach as the blood smeared further into his own skin. He shut the door behind them before leading the silent boy back to the bathroom. He put down the toilet lid, maneuvering the kid to sit atop of it as he started up the water, rinsing off his hand as he waited for it to heat up. “My name is Himchan, by the way…” He said, glancing back at the boy.

“Jongup.”

Himchan smiled, “I like it…” He said, reaching over to ruffle the fluff of brown hair. He was more than pleased when he didn’t end up with any more blood smeared onto his freshly cleaned hand. “Okay, here is a clean towel…” he said, pulling one out from the cabinet and hanging it up next to the tub as he pulled the shower curtain closed and the spray. “I’ll bring you some clean clothes… Just, take however long you want, okay, Jongup.”

Jongup nodded silently, waiting for Himchan to leave the bathroom.

“U…uhm… Do you want me to set your backpack out here—“

“NO!”

Himchan’s eyes widened, “O...oh, don’t worry, you can keep it in here with you… Just… call me if you need me…” Jongup nodded again, clutching his backpack tightly as Himchan backed out of the bathroom and shut the door behind him.

He stood at the door, listening for the sounds of Jongup getting into the shower; instead, he was met with the sound of near silent footsteps before the lock clicked into place. Himchan sighed, knowing he should have guessed as much.

Himchan eased away from the door before taking off down the hallway. “Yongguk! Yongguk!!” He threw open the door to the elders room, nearly running into said man as he stood up abruptly from his bed to meet Himchan halfway.

“, Himchan, what’s wrong? What happened? I knew I shouldn’t have let you go out alone, are you okay, what happened—“

Himchan waved him off with flailing hands as he breezed past him to sit on the elder’s bed.

“Himchan… why is the shower running?”

“That’s the thing… I… On my way home, I ran into this boy…”

Yongguk raised an eyebrow as he walked over to sit down next to Himchan. “Yeah?”

“Oh… Yongguk… he tried to give me half a million won just to use our shower… what kind of kid carries around that much cash?”

“What kind of kid tries to pay someone to let him use a shower?”

“The kind that is covered in blood… I swear… he looks like he murdered somebody! There was so much…” Himchan stared ahead at the small TV on the dresser across from Yongguk’s bed, watching the pictures flicker and change from whatever Yongguk had been watching before Himchan had come running in there.

“Was any of it his? I mean… he’s not hurt is he?” Yongguk said, reaching back in the bed for the remote to at least mute the TV as Himchan continued to stare at it.

Before he could press any buttons, Himchan was snatching the remote out of his hands, turning up the volume just a fraction.

”We aren’t sure what happened tonight, but the police are doing everything in their power to find who is responsible.” The policeman on the TV said as the reporter held out the microphone to him before turning it back to herself.

“Now, my sources say that they had a son… Any signs of his body among the massacre that has happened tonight.” The reporter asked.

The policeman sighed, “No, none yet. We have searched the whole house for the boy, but he is missing along with the contents that were in the private safe.”

The reporter looked shocked, “Are you implying that he is a suspect—“

“Ma’am, this interview is over.” The police officer turned to the camera, pressing his hand over the lens to block the picture before the screen cut back to the reports sitting inside the studio.

“Well, we will continue to bring you updates on the double homicide that has occurred at the Moon mansion tonight. If anyone has any information on their son, please, call the police immediately as this boy may be in danger.” The first reporter looked to the man on her left, “Do we have any additionally information we can give them about him?”

“Unfortunately, the public never got to see much of this kid… His parents were cautions. The most we know about him is that he’s probably around the age of 12.”

The newscasters continued talking back and forth as Himchan lowered the volume of the TV and let the remote fall limply next to him. “Yongguk… What if…”

“Himchan. Don’t jump to conclusions.” Yongguk said.

“He handed me half a million won, Yongguk, then assumed it wasn’t enough and went back for more… His hands were covered in blood!”

Yongguk sighed softly, “Look… we’ll talk to him, okay… but for right now… Even if he is this boy they are talking about…” Yongguk waved his hand at the TV, “Then he just lost his parents… and he came to you, a stranger, for help… Help him, okay? Yoseob will be back from his vacation with his parents this weekend. When he gets here, I’ll have him take the kid to the police station, okay?”

Himchan sighed a bit, rubbing at his face before shaking his head, “They said he might be in danger… Yongguk, we have to keep him safe. Okay?” Himchan stared at Yongguk, “Okay?!” He asked again.

Yongguk sighed heavily, “Okay, okay… We will… just… Yoseob isn’t going to be able to take much more of us moving in here… You already sleep on the couch, where is he going to sleep?”

Himchan shrugged, “I’ll sleep on the floor, and Jongup can have the couch.”

Yongguk sighed once more, patting Himchan on the shoulder, “I’ll go get some clean clothes for the kid out of Zelo’s room…”

Himchan nodded, “I’m going to make him something to eat…”

 

So there they sat, nearly a half hour after Himchan had brought Jongup home. Himchan and Yongguk sat side by side across from the small boy as he pushed his food around on the plate, staring at it. Beneath the table, although neither of the males could see it, they both knew Jongup was still clutching his backpack close to him.

“T…Thank you… Himchan hyung…” Jongup mumbled, looking up from his plate.

Himchan waved him off, “It’s no problem, Jongup… Glad that I could help…”

The boy smiled sweetly, “The food is really good…” Himchan nodded, staying silent as Jongup looked back down at his plate with a sigh. “I… I can’t talk about… not yet… is that okay?”

Himchan looked over to Yongguk before reaching across the table to pat Jongup’s forearm, “Hey… it’s okay; we’ll be here for you whenever you’re ready to talk, okay?”

Jongup nodded, “Thank you…”

 

“So, from what I understand, after they took Jongup in that night, he waited a week before he told them he knew a bigger place they could move into…”

“The warehouse?”

Daehyun nodded, smiling, “You catch on fast…” He said.

Youngjae smiled a little in return, “I mean, it’s not that hard to guess, all of you guys keep mentioning this tiny apartment, and clearly, you’re not living there anymore, everyone must have moved to the warehouse at some point in time.” Youngjae looked over to Himchan, “Did Jongup ever tell Himchan hyung or any of you guys why he was covered in blood?”

Daehyun shook his head softly, “Uhm, he never really told us… he might have told Himchan hyung something though… there is still a lot of guess surrounding it. The police declared the case of his parent’s murder cold a while ago, and there was a lot of publicity on the thought that he had done it… I mean, parents are killed, son goes missing with all of their money and valuables… It’s fits, but Himchan doesn’t think he did it…”

Youngjae nodded softly, wishing he had been part of the police force when the case had come up. Of course, he was still in school when the murder of the two famous billionaires hit the fan, but, by the time he had joined the task force, the case was so far buried in the back of his mind that Youngjae had never thought about it. “What about you?”

Daehyun shrugged, “I’m not saying he did it… but he knows more then what he has said on the subject…”

“He’s always smiling and happy though… You’d never think…”

“I know… He’s a little happy virus sometimes… Himchan said he was smiling by the next day, whenever someone would turn their attention to him he’d smile and laugh and act normal… It’s not healthy, the way Jongup bottles things up… but, you never know with that kid…”

“He’s figured us out so quick too…”

“Yeah… he’s good at that…He always knows what’s going on around him, even when you think you can get past Jongup, he knows…” Daehyun flopped back in his chair, “But hey, don’t change your opinion on our dearest hyung’s puppy just because of what I told you, okay?”

Youngjae shook his head, “Of course not… Jongup’s to loveable to told anything against him…”

Daehyun laughed.

Himchan rolled over onto his back, his arm half flinging off the bed as he tried to get comfortable even in his deep sleep. “Don’t turn the microwave on, or you’ll turn the socks pink…” He mumbled as he shifted once more before stilling again.

Youngjae looked to Daehyun, raising an eyebrow as they both tried to hide their laughter. “Of course, Himchan... because who wants pink socks?” He asked quietly as he stood up to readjust Himchan’s blankets.

“Pinks a very manly color… like potatoes.” Himchan grumbled, clearly still asleep but conscious at some level.

The two fell over each other trying to contain their laughter as Himchan slept on, blissfully unaware.

 


 

Alright, so, here is Jongup's back story~ please don't kill me!

I'm heading off to work, so I'll reply to everyone's comments tonight or what not~ Byes~!!

 

Cuddles,

Lynn