Day 9

2013, Year of Us

Wednesday January 9th, 2013

Yu-ki really wanted to stop going to school with Jongin. She understood the benefits of returning to her previous life, but perhaps she should start with smaller things first, like learning the Korean language. It was getting increasingly frustrating to not be able to communicate. Sure she had gotten through the past few days quite smoothly, but Yu-ki really did want to hold a conversation with Jongin, there was so much she wanted to say, she just couldn’t. There were questions she wanted to ask him without having to go through Jongdae, whose Mandarin was only mediocre at best.

Without Jongin knowing, she stealthily escaped from the classroom. She had about a minute to get away before he noticed her disappearance. Briskly walking along the deserted hallways, she roamed around, her brain already seeming to know its destination.

A few twists and turns later, Yu-ki found herself peering into a practice room, listening to the soft melody drifting from the open door. There was a boy with his eyes closed bent over a piano, fingers dancing over the keys. She was captivated.

“There you are.” A hand landed on her shoulder. Startled, the boy faltered causing the song to abruptly end. Yu-ki turned around before the stranger could see her, slamming directly into Jongin’s chest. “I’ve been looking for you. You really shouldn’t just leave like that. You could get lost.” He said as he caught her from falling over.

“Sorry.” Yu-ki mumbled trying to get past him.

“Jongin?” a voice floated out the room. The two of them looked at the figure looming in the doorway. A pang of recognition resonated in her mind. Mystery man number 2. “What are you doing here?”

“Sorry for bothering you hyung. I was looking for Yooki.” Jongin said gesturing to her. She looked up shyly meeting his eyes.

“Ah, Yooki, I heard you got out of the hospital this weekend. It’s nice to see you around here again.” Mystery man said with a sweet smile.

“She doesn’t-” He was cut off.

“I’m Zhang Yixing. Fourth year dance major.” He offered a hand. “You already know me, but I figured it would help if I re-introduced myself.” He said with a wink. Yu-ki couldn’t help but break out in a smile. Gratefully shaking his pre-offered hand.

“You speak Chinese.” She exclaimed. It felt good hearing her native tongue from someone other than her brother.

“Of course I do, I’m originally from Changsha.”

“You don’t understand how good it feels to be able to have someone understand me. For the past three days, I’ve been silent. I know what people are saying, but I can’t respond.” Yu-ki ranted. It was like everything she wanted to say was spilling out. Yixing laughed.

“But what about Jongdae?” she steeled him with a look causing him to laugh even harder. “Well, if you ever need someone to talk to that isn’t your brother. I’m always available.” He placed a hand on her head ruffling her hair. “I got to go now. Kyungsoo said he wanted my notes. See you later Jongin.” Yixing waved and strolled down the hallway.

“See you hyung.” He turned to face Yu-ki. “Let’s head back to class. I told my prof I was going to the bathroom.” Jongin grabbed her arm and lead her down the hall. He didn’t miss the smile on her face. Yu-ki on the other hand, remained oblivious to Jongin’s slight scowl.