Day 53

2013, Year of Us

Friday February 22nd, 2013

“Wear this.” Baekhyun threw a garment bag in Yu-ki’s arms the second she opened the door. It was their second last day in Hong Kong and since it was Baekhyun’s turn to choose their itinerary for the day, he decided to stay in.

“I don’t care what you guys want to do, just be back by 4.” He said vaguely to the others in the lobby before walking back towards the elevators. Giving the others a curious look, Jongin simply shook his head and made to follow the others out the doors. That was how she found herself walking along the strip soaking up the mid- morning rays of sunshine. She spent lunch with Kyungsoo and Jongdae where he tried to display his Chinese skills. Needless to say, Yu-ki had to clean up his mess.

So, when 4 o’clock rolled around and she heard a sharp rap on her door, she paused in her work and opened the door only to be met with clothing being thrown in her face. “Someone will come around in a bit to help you.” Baekhyun turned and quickly retreated down the hall to his own room.

“Wait! Baek! What is this?” She shouted but to no avail. Normally she would have protested and followed him down the hall, but she had learned to just go with whatever they said. Slinking back into her room, she set the garment bag on the bed and carefully opened the zipper. In it lay a black based floral printed dress with a zipper right down the middle.

“Katie!” a voice rang out from behind her causing her to drop the dress in shock. “I’ve missed you!” she turned around slowly caught a glimpse of a face before being tackled into a hug. “I haven’t seen you since the last show in Tokyo.”

“Umm,” was all Yu-ki could manage to get out before she was interrupted again.

“Oh, right. Baekhyun mentioned that you lost your memory.” The person spoke letting Yu-ki get a clear look at her face. She was probably around her early thirties with light brown hair and kind eyes. “I’m Arianna. I work for Mrs. Yoon. I’m 100% Korean, born in Seoul but moved around constantly due to my father’s line of work. I speak 5 languages fluently, and I’m here to do your hair and make-up.” She rambled, giving Yu-ki her abridged life story. “Now let me see the dress so I know what colour palate I’m working with.” Arianna sneaked behind Yu-ki to glimpse at the dress. “Ah, neutral tones. That works perfectly with what I have planned.” She took Yu-ki and led her to the vanity. “Now, shall we get started?”

                

“Where are the others?” she asked Jongin the only other person in the car. After two long hours of hair and make-up, Yu-ki was led to a car in her tight dress hugging her skin in all the right places.

“They went ahead.” He let his eyes roam over her body making her feel slightly self-conscious of her body. “You took too long. They didn’t want to wait.” he smiled at her.

“Don’t blame me. I didn’t ask for the princess treatment.” Yu-ki defended herself.

“It’s alright, you’re worth the wait.”

 

“Where are we going by the way?” she idly wondered as they entered the Cross-Harbour Tunnel. “Baek taking us out to a fancy dinner?”

“You wish,” he scoffed. “The day he decides to crawl out from under his rock he calls his studio and put himself out like that will be the day I sing in public.”

"So, no on the dinner, I take it we’re going to some sort of event then?” she directed her assumption to Jongin.

"You,” He said handing her an envelope. “Are a VIP guest to the first showing of BY Fashion’s 2013 Spring/Summer line.”

“A fashion show huh?” Yu-ki looked out the window as they emerged from the tunnel onto Hong Kong Island. “And I suppose this isn’t our first time attending one?”

“Not when you have Baekhyun as a friend.” He sighed. “And especially not when you have the parents that we do.” The car came to a stop and Jongin turned to Yu-ki. “You ready for the red carpet?”

The door opened and shouts of voices and camera flashes momentarily stunned her. Carefully stepping out of the car with as much grace as she could manage, she took Jongin’s pre-offered arm and the two walked down the red carpet. She had thought she would be awkward being in front of the cameras instead of behind, but muscle memory must have kicked in and she was a natural on the carpet.

Attending fashion shows and press conferences was something that she never would have dreamed to be her daily life, but as she was finding out, her life was very different from what she had imagined.

 

The two spotted their friends easily enough due to Chanyeol’s tall height and deep voice carrying over large areas. He gently waved them over and led them to their seats.

‘VIP – LKY Group’. That was stuck onto the chair Yu-ki sat on. To her right, Jongin took a seat where ‘VIP – KF’ was shown and Chanyeol with his own ‘VIP – Park Place. Across the runway, Kyungsoo and Jongdae waved. Seated right at the end of the runway front and centre, Baekhyun stared off into space.

“Is hyung coming?” Jongin asked Chanyeol pointing to the empty seat beside Kyungsoo. Yu-ki looked over and read the place marker. ‘VIP – ZiP’.

“I don’t know. Is he even in Hong Kong?” The lights dimmed and soon the show started.

 

“Well look who it is.” Yu-ki turned around slowly. In front of her stood a man who seemed around her age and had a piercing gaze. “Looks like the great Katie Li decided grace us with her presence.” She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

“I’m sorry, do I know you?” she asked slowly. Clearly he was from her past since he referred to her as Katie and no one has called her that other than her brother.

“Oh, I forgot. You go by Li Yu-ki instead. Or did you choose another name this time?” He said confusing her even more.

“Who’s this Yu-ki?”  She turned around at the sound of his voice, glad that someone had saved her. Yixing eyed the mysterious male up and down stepping slightly in front of her. “Is he bothering you?”

“Why would I be bothering her?” he responded in mock shock. “I’m just a dear old classmate of hers. Who are you? Oh wait,” His smile slowly grew dark. “Is this the boy that managed to capture your ice cold heart?”

“Look,” Yu-ki spoke up from behind Yixing. “I don’t know who you are or what you’re talking about, so please go away.”

“You were always such a ray of sunshine.” His words dripped with sarcasm. “But, running away is what you do best isn’t it?” With that he swiftly turned and left.

“Hey, you alright?” Yixing asked her with a nudge.

“Yeah, he didn’t really do anything.” Yu-ki let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding. “Thanks for that by the way. Wait,” she paused. “Why are you here? When did you even get here?” Yixing laughed lightly at her confusion.

“I’ve been here the whole night. I was sitting across from you, beside Kyungsoo. Though I’m not surprised you didn’t notice, you were so focused on the show.”

"Jongin’s looking for you.” Baekhyun interrupted their conversation. “Nice to see you hyung.” He turned to Yixing. “Glad you could make it.”

“Of course, please thank your parents for extending their invitation.” He bowed once.

 “I’ll pass on the message. Yu-ki?”

“It was nice seeing you Yixing. I’ll call you later.” She took Baekhyun’s arm and bid farewell to Yixing.

“Who was that guy you were talking to earlier?” Baekhyun asked leading her to the rest of their friends.

“I have no idea.” She watched said male’s movements closely. “But I’m guessing that’s my skeleton.”

 

 

 

[A/N]: this explains baek's backstory. there is a bit more to it but that won't surface until mid-April?