Day 2

2013, Year of Us

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013

“Oh, Kevin you’re here.” Yu-ki said happily from the bed reading a book that he had left behind the other day. While she was asleep, he had taken the liberty of reading her favourite books out loud to her.  After his talk with the doctor, he had told her right away what had happened to her. Needless to say, she did not take it so great and fainted right away.

At the moment it wasn’t known how severe the amnesia was, but he guessed it had to be at least 5 years. Due to her young age of 19, not that he was much older anyways, she was still a child in his eyes, and she would always be his baby sister. A lot has changed in the past few years and he was worried what this might mean for the future. 

Yu-ki on the other hand, didn’t dwell on the fact that she was in the hospital. Granted it was alarming to have awoken in such a place, but she had assumed it was because something happened to her last night and she would be out by tonight.

 

“Hey Katie. How are you feeling?” Kevin asked while sitting by her bedside lightly ruffling her hair. She quickly slapped it away and returned to her book. He wanted to say something to her, but before he could, the door opened and the doctor from yesterday walked in.

“Yooki-sshi, good to see you’re awake.” He said. That was when she realized that something wasn’t right. Seeing the confusion on his sister's face, Kevin spoke before she could ask the million questions running through her head. 

“You’re in South Korea.” Kevin told her calmly He figured it would be best if she heard it from him instead.

"Why are we in South Korea? How did I get here overnight?” Yu-ki asked not fully grasping the situation. Kevin responded with his own.

“What’s today’s date Katie?” He started off.

“January 2nd.”

“The year?”

“2005.” He had expected such an answer, but that did not mean that we was not shocked. Kevin looked to the doctor and he nodded in encouragement. 

“How old are you Katie?” Kevin asked warily, though he already knew the answer.

“I’m 12. You should know that. You’re my brother.” He sighed deeply and conversed quietly with the doctor. To her surprise, she realized they were speaking another language. One she did not understand.

“What happened before you fell asleep?”

"What are you talking about? You were there.”

 “Please answer the question. It’s the last one I promise. Then I’ll tell you everything.” Kevin pleaded.

 “Umm, well we stayed up to watch the countdown, just like we always do.”

 Kevin relayed this back to the doctor, once again in a language she didn’t understand, and finally received a series of instructions and nods from the doctor. He swiftly left the room after saying something directed at her and a small smile.

“Katie,” Kevin started off calmly, “don’t freak out, but you’re not 12. It’s not 2005.” He paused gauging her expression. Gingerly taking her hand, he helped her off the bed and led her to the bathroom. “On your birthday, you got into an accident and have been asleep since then.” He told her as she gazed at herself in the mirror. "The year is 2013 and you’re 19 years old."

Yu-ki couldn’t believe the sight in front of her. In the mirror stood a girl with long shapely legs and a slim body. Her hair was cut short, just underneath her chin. Even in the dull hospital gown, it was easy to tell that the girl was beautiful.

“You’re lying.” She said reaching up to touch her face. The reflection mirrored her movements. “That can’t be me.” Yu-ki turned to her brother. He had tears in his eyes.

“I’m sorry Katie. I wasn’t there to protect you.”

"Well you are now.” Yu-ki marched over to the bed. She needed to sit down, this was too much information to handle at once. “Tell me everything. What has happened in the past 7 years.”