Day 45

2013, Year of Us

Thursday February 14th, 2013

Valentine’s Day. The last time Yu-ki celebrated Valentine’s Day was in the seventh grade while living in Vancouver. Back then Valentines was about giving out store bought cards to your entire homeroom class. Close friends got an additional treat usually in the form of store bought chocolate or candy. In Asia however, things are done differently.

“Here.” Yu-ki shoved a gift bag into Minseok’s face. She had stayed up all night making her own chocolates, something that she never tried while celebrating in Canada.

“What’s this? Chocolates?” he questioned taking the bag anyways. He narrowed his eyes at her. “You’re not harbouring a secret love for me are you?” he joked. Yu-ki rolled her eyes, taking the bag back from him.

“Do you want the chocolate or not?” she threatened. He immediately grabbed it back shoving a piece into his mouth with a smile.

“Thanks Yooki~”

 

“Happy Valentine’s Day!” Yu-ki surprised Jongin at the school gates. “I made you some chocolates since that’s what I heard we’re supposed to do here.” Jongin accepted the chocolates bashfully.

“Why did you make me chocolate?” he asked. “You didn’t make me any last year.” Yu-ki shrugged.

“We’re friends aren’t we? Isn’t that what friends do? Come, I need to give the chocolates to the other guys too.” she said taking his arm.

“Right, friends.” Jongin sighed. “Let’s go find the others.”

 

On their way to the Arts building, they ran into Chanyeol and Baekhyun. It wasn’t hard to spot them. They had their own little circle of girls surrounding them each professing their love to the pair of boys. Seeing Yu-ki approach, the girls hastily dropped their gifts for the boys and dispersed. Once the crowd parted, Yu-ki ran over presenting them with her own chocolates.

“These are for you.” She said. Jongin followed behind, his own flock of girls following him.

“Why are you giving us chocolates?” Chanyeol said accepting them anyways. Baekhyun just stared at her not making a move to accept the gift. Yu-ki settled for placing her chocolate on top of his growing pile of gifts.

"Why not? You’re my friends aren’t you?” Yu-ki didn’t understand the whole concept of using chocolates to confess. “Were you going to see Kyungsoo?” she asked them. “Let’s go together, I need to give him and Yixing their chocolates too.” Yu-ki walked ahead leaving the guys to struggle with transporting their gifts.

 

“Why are you hiding in a dark classroom?” Yu-ki asked the two boys who were currently crouched on the floor. They instantly pulled the others down with them putting a finger to their lips.

“We’re hiding from the girls.” Kyungsoo said peeking out the window. “They like showering us with gifts ‘til the point where we can’t see where we are walking.”

“The only option is to hide until they get tired of looking for us.” Yixing continued.

“Why didn’t we think of that?” Chanyeol muttered to himself.

“Oh, I guess you don’t want my chocolate then?” Yu-ki teased taking out two bags to give to them. “I guess I’ll just give them to my brother or something.” She sighed putting them back. Before she could though, two hands ripped them from her grasp.

“We’ll take them. Thanks.” Kyungsoo and Yixing chorused. Yu-ki smiled triumphantly.

“Well, I’ll leave you guys to your hiding.” Yu-ki got up wiping her hands on her pants. “I need to find Jongdae to give him his chocolates and then direct him to your direction. Jongin, can you hand me my bag please?” as Jongin moved to pick up her bag, he saw not one, but two bags of chocolate left. Jongin frowned at the thought of the recipient of that extra bag, but he happily noted that he received the most chocolates from Yu-ki.

 

“What’s that?” Yu-ki dropped the final bag of chocolates in front of him.

“Valentine’s Day chocolates. I was making them and thought I should give some to you.” She shrugged. “I don’t know why, but it’s what friends do right.” Yu-ki smiled. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to save my other friends from drowning in sweet sugary proclamations of love.” She waved and walked away.

 

“You didn’t give me anything last year.” Joonmyun said as he reached out for the bag when she disappeared from his sight. “But I guess there’s a first for everything.” He smiled as he unwrapped a chocolate.