Chapter 52

The Night Sun

52

 

It was a windy cold afternoon. Kai was sitting alone on the wooden bench just beside the park. He watched as children rode their bikes with their parents, giggling and laughing happily. It was a nice and relaxing atmosphere but Kai kept on a poker face. Once in a while he would glance at his watch. The man wasn’t late. It was Kai who was early. He was early because he was nervous to finally see the man who asked to meet him.

“Sorry I’m late.” A man’s voice interrupted Kai’s peaceful mind. He turned his head to see a man, a very good looking man with a clean haircut and was wearing a black leather jacket and jeans. “My name is Kim Junho.” The man offered his hand.

Kai took his hand and replied briefly. “Kai ~”

The man sat and adjusted his jacket. Actually he wasn’t adjusting his jacket; he was taking out what looked like papers, many of it. Kai thought he was going to pass it to him but instead he placed it on his lap.

“Thanks for agreeing to see me.” He spoke. “How’s the training so far?”

Kai stared confusedly at him. “What training?” How did this man know about him training for the past years?

The man laughed. Without saying anything, he pulled up his left sleeve and revealed a small symbol to Kai. “EXO ~”

Kai was surprised. This man must be from the previous generation. It was an incredible honour to be meeting the chosen ones from previous generations. Instantly, he stood up and bowed. “I humbly apologise for my lack of manners.” Kai knew he had been acting aloof towards the man whom he didn’t know was part of him in the first place.

“It’s okay, Kai. Come take a seat.” The man gestured for Kai to sit down. There was a moment of silence before Junho started to speak. “I called you here for a purpose.” The papers that were on his lap, he handed it to Kai, who looked at it curiously. “These are letters for someone.”

“Someone?” Kai questioned.

“The girl who you’ll be protecting, she’s the one, your Star.” The man replied. “I want you to keep these letters and pass it to her when she turns 20.”

“Why don’t you pass it to her yourself?”

The man could only give a small smile. “I can’t.” He looked at his watch and saw the date; 10 December 2011. “My end is near, Kai. I don’t have much time left in this world.”

“Why must we wait till she reaches 20 years old?” Kai asked the man.

The man placed his right hand on Kai’s shoulder and looked at him with soft eyes. “Kai, I want her to enjoy her youth without thinking about anything else. By that age, she will understand it clearer. The next few years will be the hardest for EXO. She needs to survive these coming few years. She needs to live, Kai.” The man was desperate.

“I don’t know if I’m capable.” Kai looked down, pessimistic.

The man lifted the young boy’s chin, “Kai, look at me. You’re the most capable person. You and EXO are the only people able to protect her. I have no one else. Please do me this favour. Please?” The man begged. Tears swelled his eyes.

“I promise. But, may I ask? Who is she to you?”

Junho stood up and looked at Kai with a smile.

“She is my angel. She’s my daughter.”

With that, he walked away. Kai was stunned.  He didn’t expect the Star who he was going to protect in the future had a father who was also a chosen one just like him. Right away, he knew the girl was special. He stared down at the stash of papers he was holding.

A promise he must fulfil.

To let her read the letters.

 

~*~

 

As soon as the blood dripped and landed on the ground, the enemies became powerless. All their powers vanished instantly and the elderly man succumbed to the ground in agony because everything he fought for years was snatched away from him in a heartbeat. The authentic chosen ones; EXO, BAP and BTOB, though they were badly injured, still managed to keep their powers; forever. They finally won and now it was their turn to capture and seize these men.

They won but only one person was not joyful.

Lyorin clasped Kai’s hand tightly and cried. “Kai, hang in there please.”

Lay, who was seriously injured himself still gathered his strength and made his way to Kai who was already losing too much blood. He hovered his palm above the wound and tried his best to heal him.

Kai, on the other hand, kept forcing a smile despite knowing this was the end for him. He could feel it.

Slowly, he spoke. “Lyorin, listen to me.” The girl nodded and directed her full attention on him. The rest of the guys had crowded around as they watched the heartbreaking scene. Suho knew Lay was doing his best to heal Kai, but he was already prepared for the worst.

Hyunsik and Yongguk, watched with sinking hearts as Kai struggled to keep himself alive. They respected Kai even more knowing that he could still smile for Lyorin.

“Lyorin, there is a box underneath my bed ~” He stopped to cough. “It’s for you.”

“Kai ~ please.” She sobbed.

“Lyorin, your father was an amazing man. Promise me you’ll open the box only after you reach 20 ~” He spoke. Earning no response from her, he asked again. “Promise me, baby bear ~”

“I pro-promise.” She answered shakily. She wasn’t even bothered about the contents of the box and she didn’t even know what she was promising for because all she could think of is for Kai to live.

“The box is the promise I made with your father. Please live healthily until you reach 20 ~” He stopped before adding. “Live healthily even without me.”

“Wh-what are yo-you saying? No, Kai. Ple-please don’t leave me.” Lyorin sobbed and hugged him.

Kai smiled as he tried to absorb the warm of her hug. His body was feeling cold with every second passing but the hug was just what he needed the most. “I’m sorry ~”

“No, Kai please.” Lyorin pleaded. Without wasting any time, she locked her eyes in his. “Kim Jongin, I love you. I love you so much. You can’t leave me.”

She finally said it.

But Kai was dying.

“I love you too, Kim Lyorin. I love you ever since I know you are the one for me ~” Kai confessed.

That was his last words before Lyorin’s nightmare became true.

She must do something and the only way she could is to...

Lyorin grabbed a rock and hit her head with it.

Everyone else watched in surprise as her body went limp to the ground.

What was she doing?!

 

~*~

 

Lyorin jerked open her eyes and quickly jolted up to a standing position. She was back at the same place. The vast green space she had visited before. Previously, she was unsure where she was at but now, she was more confident than ever. Quickly, she sped to find the huge hole which was the place she knew Kai would be at.

True enough, she saw his silhouette approaching the hole and instantly she quickened her speed.

“Kai! Kai!” She yelled, praying hard that he would stop for her. She wasn’t going to let him vanish into the hole.

As she approached him, she noticed Kai wasn’t alone. There stood three other familiar people; father, mother and Yoona. Lyorin noticed the smiles on their faces but tried as she might she wasn’t able to give them a genuine happy smile. Her heart was breaking in pieces seeing Kai continuously nearing the hole.

“KAI!” She shouted for the last time before he finally stopped. He didn’t turn around. His back was facing her.

Lyorin breathed a sigh of relief only for a brief moment because this wasn’t the end. Panting hard, she walked towards Kai but out of a sudden, her dad pulled her away from him.


“Lyorin ~” He called for her. With sad eyes, he shook his head as if to tell her not to disturb Kai. Lyorin wasn’t going to listen to him. She approached Kai once again. “Lyorin don’t ~” Her dad said.

Tears flowed down her cheeks as she tried to reach for Kai but to no avail. “Daddy, please do something.” She pleaded.

‘Lyorin ah ~”

“Please I beg you. If you take Kai away from me, I have no one else. Daddy, I love him.” Lyorin began to sob.

Junho approached his girl and pulled her for an embrace. “Lyorin, I’m so proud of you. You did it.”

“Yes, you did it.” Yoona joined and applauded Lyorin.

“I know you’ve always been a special child.” Her mother cupped Lyorin’s face and her hair gently.

Lyorin looked up to see her mother’s beautiful face. “Ma~” She called and tears began to fall.

Jin Ah flashed a loving smile and used her thumb to wipe the tears flowing down her daughter’s beautiful face. “Don’t cry sweetheart. Come let me take a good look at you.” She caressed her daughter’s face and gave a warm smile. “You’re beautiful.” She said.

“No Ma, you’re more beautiful.” Lyorin said as she looked into her mother’s eyes for the first time. Jin Ah went on to kiss her daughter’s forehead and gave her a nice warm hug. It was the first time they hugged. Even though this wasn’t reality, but everything felt just as real.

Junho watched the heart warming reunion of both mother and daughter. He looked at the both of them with soft expression. He then faced Lyorin and said. “Lyorin, you are indeed the special one. Your actions saved everyone.”

“No I didn’t ~” Lyorin cried. “I can’t save Kai.”

Junho smiled and his daughter’s back. “Lyorin, Kai ~ he has to ~”

“Dad, please. Don’t take him away from me.” Lyorin continued to beg. “You’re gone. Mom’s gone and so is Yoona. Please don’t take the only person left in this world for me. You have to save him.”

Junho smiled affectionately hearing Lyorin’s loving words. He closed his eyes and said these last words to her.

“Kai will always be with you ~ Always. You have saved everyone my dear.”

 

(To be continued)

 


hmmmmm..........................................