Chapter 25

The Night Sun

25

 

2nd January 2001

 

Hey Sweetheart, it’s your first day in school! I couldn’t be more proud seeing how fast you’ve grown up healthily and beautifully. Carrying a Doraemon design backpack with a cute pony tail, you sure looked happy and excited to be going to school.

School bus came to pick you up and your close friend. I believed her name is Yoona, am I right? Holding hands together, the both of you climbed the bus eagerly and walked to the seats at the far back.

Do you want to know how I know what you were doing or where you were at?

Because I was there ~

I stood among the rest of the parents who were sending their kids to school.

I watched as you stood awkwardly with Yoona; the only two kids without any parents to send you off.

Your eyes, I could see how much you yearn for it. How much you yearned to be just like any other kids with loving and caring parents.

I wished I could be the one beside you, holding your hands, hugging and kissing you. I wished I could protect and stand up for you if you ever get bullied. I wished I could help you out with your homework. I wished I could listen to your stories in school.

I wished to be just like any other parent.

But I couldn’t.

I’m sorry, Lyorin. I’m really sorry.

Timidly, you walked in to the school with nervous eyes.

Don’t worry sweetie, you’re going to do just fine.

Daddy will pray everything to go smoothly.

Daddy will watch over you.

I promise.

           

 

   ~*~

 

 

Strumming sounds of the acoustic guitar filled the rooms’ hallway and the curious Lyorin had to search the origin of it. She followed the sound of the guitar accompanied by a melodious voice. Who it could be, she wondered. She ventured past the rooms, trying to follow the trail of it. Finally, she stopped when she realised it came from a certain room.

Carefully, she sneaked her head inside only to find Lay sitting by the window on a rainy afternoon, strumming his brown guitar and singing. He looked up and saw her, gave her a smile and motioned for her to join him.

“Your voice is amazing.” She commented before taking a spot opposite him.

“Thank you.” He replied. He tilted his head and plucked the strings to his guitar while she watched him in awe at how perfect he was.

She listened intently to the tune he was playing. It was soothing and relaxing. He played for a quite a while and only the soft music occupied their peace. As soon as he stopped, she clapped. “That was lovely. I didn’t know you could play the guitar so well.”

He flashed a smile at her. “I’ve been learning it for the past six years ~” He stopped and then added. “Would you like to listen to something? It’s a self-composed song.”

She nodded.

Slowly, he strummed the guitar and started singing.

 

Your smile, it’s so sweet

I can’t resist the corner of your lips that’s rising

I don’t want to part with this scene….

 

…our bad, your good, your indigenousity, your smile

Unable to help myself from falling in love with your vexatiousness.

Your cuteness, your whining, your anger, your crying

Without conditions, just want to listen to your shouting…

 

…When, heart and heart, causing electricity

As sparks flew and melted the layer of snow within my heart

A type of unprecedented belief will not be shattered.

A dreamland really has been realized in front of us, I’ll take you to tomorrow.”

 

Lyorin closed her eyes as she listened to the sweet sound of Lay’s voice. The heartfelt words he just sang moved her that she didn’t even realise a tear streamed down her cheek. Swiftly, Lay wiped it away with his thumb.

“I’m sorry ~” He apologised.

Shaking her head, she told him. “Please don’t apologise.”

“Do you want to know the story behind the song?” He asked while putting away his guitar. Holding her hands in his, he began. “I met this special girl when I was in China. She was a sweet, beautiful and kind girl. Her name is Ling Wei; fair skin, almond-shaped eyes and rosy cheeks. We met when we were still young but even so, her presence in my life is still as fresh. We would sit by the river, throwing pebbles while watching the sun set. She would share her sweets and candies with me and would tell me stories. Even if it was just her voice, I could listen to it forever.”

He watched the rain drops hitting the window. After a brief silent, he continued. “However, one day I had to go. I had to travel away. I had to leave her. It was the toughest point of my life. I thought we could be together forever, but sadly no.”

“Oppa ~” Lyorin his hands gently hoping it would comfort him in a way.

“You know what the biggest regret was? I didn’t get the chance to say good bye because I was such a coward. I left her just like that.” He said softly, looking down in shame

Without breathing any word, she pulled him closer for a warm hug. “I’m sure she understands.”

He sniffed and buried his face deeper in her shoulder. “You know, sometimes I wish Tao could send me back in time but then I would rather not. It would be unfair to her.” He spoke and then added. “I hope she’s doing fine ~” It wasn’t just a casual remark. It was a prayer. He really hoped that everything turned out well for her.

Once he had composed himself, he pulled away from her and looked in her eyes.

“Lyorin listen, when you like someone is best to tell him fast because it might just be too late. Don’t be like me alright?” He said slowly and clearly for her to listen. It wasn’t just a mere advice.

It was message to tell her what she ought to do.

   ~*~

 

“Checkmate!” Lyorin squealed delightfully and pumped her fist in the air. That was the first time she managed to defeat Kai, the game king in the house. He was always good in games; even simple games such as rock, paper and scissor. However, this time round she won over him fair and square. Oh well, at least she would like to take it as a fair win even if he was lenient to her.

 Kai scratched his head, dumbfounded at the loss. “Jeez, I thought I had it.” He stated.

She laughed sarcastically and said. “Oh come on, you were being nice to me right?”

Shaking his head vehemently, “I didn’t. I was really playing it wholeheartedly!” He retorted. But he noticed, she wasn’t really buying his words. Again, he stated. “I can’t believe I just lost!”

“Since I won, I should rightfully receive a prize. Hmmm what should I ~”

“What do you want?” He cut her before she could say what she wished for. An opportunity popped his head and instantly he leaned closer to her. She tried to back away but he pulled her and whispered softly in her ear. “Would you like a kiss?”

She almost choked when she heard him. Since when did Kai become so cheeky?

However, she tried to act cool. “Oh please, a kiss from you is more like you will be the one receiving the prize instead of me.”

“Are you telling me kiss from me to you is not a good enough prize?”

She chuckled and ruffled his hair messily. “Maybeeeeee ~”

 

She moved away from him and went beside Luhan leaving a speechless Kai.

It was yet another uneventful Saturday; with the guys and Lyorin spending their time in the living room with games and TV.

Luhan was on his Rubix cube for the uncountable times. She snuggled closer to him and watched his fingers moving at top speed. Amazed at his rare ability to solve the cube in less than 2 mins, she asked him what was his secret. “How did you do it?”

He chuckled. “It takes years of practice, my dear.”

“Don’t you ever get bored?” She instinctively asked. There was never a time Luhan without his cube. He was always playing it even when he already knew how to solve it. She just couldn’t understand what so fascinated about the cube.

He shook his head and explained. “No; I will never get bored of the only gift that reminded me of my mother.” She cocked her head in confusion. He stopped and gave her a warm smile before continuing with his story. “My mom gave me this Rubix cube when I was little. At the beginning, I hate it so much only because I couldn’t solve it. I loathed it so much that I chucked it a corner of my room. I thought the cube can never be solved. It was just too impossible.”

He slung an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer. “But one day, I saw the cube with all its sides completed and fully solved.”

 

“Luhan, the cube is just like life. No matter how messed up your life is, don’t ever give up because every problem has a solution. God tests men with hardships because He knows men are capable of solving it. Thus, I want you to keep this cube with you all the time as a reminder. When in trouble, never leave and walk away. Face it bravely because the end goal is what you’re achieving for.”

 

Luhan recalled the words from his beloved mother and it was still fresh in his head. “Now baby bear, do you understand why this cube is always with me?” He asked and pinched Lyorin’s nose.

She nodded and chanted to herself. “I am the cube. I am the cube.” She snatched the cube from him and asked. “Oppa, teach me how to solve it please?”

“Okay, you have to ~” He started.

Luhan taught Lyorin how to solve the Rubix cube and both of them were highly engaged in it until the door bell rang and their concentration was disturbed.

 

Kai placed the game console down and teleported to the door. Amidst a game of soccer with Sehun, he stopped at once when the door bell rang. He reached for the door and opened it slowly. His eyes enlarged in surprised at the person he never expected to be standing before him.

“K-Kai, h-help m-me ~”

Kai caught the girl as she fainted in his arms.

At the moment, all eyes were on him, including Lyorin.

“SORI!” He shouted for her.

 

(To be continued)

 


OH NO, HERE COMES TROUBLE >___<