Chapter 10

The Night Sun

 

10

 

"Lyorin?! Yoona?!" Hyunsik was just as surprised to see both girls right before him. "What are you doing here?"

"We're here for vacation of course." Lyorin replied and grinned joyfully. She was shocked yet happy seeing him there out of all places.

Hyunsik smiled and then asked. "Just the two of you?"

"No. We came with EXO ~" Yoona replied but Lyorin poked her stomach. Technically, Yoona wasn't supposed to know about EXO.

Noticing the change in expression from him, Lyorin clarified. "Yup, Yoona knows. Anyway, we're here with them. I can't possibly travel alone right? Are you with the rest of ~" She stopped. She was about to say BTOB but realised Yoona was still there. Her knowledge of EXO was enough. She didn't need to know about Hyunsik and his friends as well.

"Oh right, over-protective. Yea, I'm with my 6 other friends." He answered before she could continued any further.

"Great! Then we can explore Jeju together!" Lyorin beamed.

 

 

Back at the dining table, EXO guys could sense something and true enough, they turned their heads and saw BTOB at the other end of the restaurant. At the same time, Lyorin and Yoona came back from the washroom with Hyunsik. He joined his friends while the girls walked back to the table. Kai who saw everything, instantly turned angry. He thought by bringing Lyorin away for vacation, he could at least get her for himself but now, someone just had to ruin it.

"Hey guys, sorry we took a long time. We bumped into a school friend along the way." Yoona explained.

However, the guys had tensed expressions and were looking at Lyorin, waiting for her explanation.

"Yep, we can see that." Sehun eyed her intently and gave her a pissed look.

Lyorin seemed to have understood the guys sudden tensed mood. "I swear I didn't tell him about this trip." She said and scanned their faces but they looked like they didn't believe her. So, she turned to Suho and pleaded, "Suho oppa, you believe me right? I didn't tell him. I don't even know he's here. I just saw ~"

"Shh.. It's okay. I believe you." Suho replied and assured her.

At least, she knew she could rely on Suho at times like this.

Kai pushed his chair abruptly and stood up. He placed the napkin on the table and was about to walk away until Kris asked. "Kai, where are you going?"

Kai turned around to face the guys. He didn't look happy and his face was dark and serious. "I'm done eating. I'm going out for some air." He responded and then walked out.

Lyorin watched as he stormed away from the group. She felt that his change in mood was because of her. She knew right from the start Kai hated Hyunsik. She didn't blame him for it. She understood that his hate for him was because he was worried for her safety and that was it.

No Lyorin, it wasn’t only for your safety.

Kai walked to the beach and sat on the soft sand under the night sky. He needed some air to clear his thoughts and to cool down. He was trying hard to control his temper back at the restaurant. Seeing Hyunsik together with the rest of BTOB had ruined almost half of his mood for the trip. Maybe Lyorin really did not tell him and it was purely coincidence. Yet, he could not help but be angry of it. He let out a long sigh and played with the sand. Suddenly he heard laughter from a group of girls walking a few metres away from where he was at.

A girl approached him and took a spot beside. "Hey, you're the guy earlier. Why are you sitting here alone?" She was Hyemi, the girl who came to Kai back at the drink stall in the afternoon. He remembered her. However, he ignored and kept quiet. "You don't talk, do you?" Her finger slid down his bare arm and moved closer to him. "You're really good looking. At least tell me your name, handsome" She seductively ran her hand and touched his.

This time, Kai instinctively pulled his hand back and hissed at her. "Stop.”

"Wow, I finally heard your voice. It's so manly ~" She leaned closer and whispered, almost biting his ear. "And y."

"Just go away." He sneered.

Hyemi pulled away not without speaking her mind. "Someone is in a foul mood. No one ever rejected me before, do you know that?" She looked at him and continued. "Did you quarel with your girlfriend?" Kai kept quiet. Lyorin wasn't his girlfriend and he didn't quarel with her. However, the question indirectly hit a nerve in him. "Ah ~ Silence means yes. Oh well, you deserve better. You still have my number right? The offer is still up, Mr y." She winked. She mimed a 'call me' before standing up and leaving him alone.

 

Lyorin excused herself and left the dinner unfinished. She went out of the hotel in search for Kai. She knew he was outside, so she looked around high and low for him. Eventually she spotted his figure sitting on the beach alone. Wearing a black sleeveless short dress and slippers, she trudged towards him quietly. She took off her slippers and held in her hand and walked barefooted across the soft sand. Once she reached him, Kai became rigid. He noticed her shadow.

"Kai~ Kai, can I sit here?" She asked softly but he didn't respond. Hearing no reply, she just sat beside him. She looked at the scenery around them. She turned left, right and up at rhe beautiful night sky that was filled with stars. She inhaled the air deeply and said, "It's really nice here. The air, the view, the sand and sea, the trees as well as the local people; they're all perfect." Kai put on a serious face and looked straight ahead. He was just listening to her gentle voice. "I still can't believe I'm actually spending it here with you guys." She smiled. He continued to listen but remained quiet. "Kai, what's wrong? Are you angry?"

Once again, Kai kept silent. Lyorin didn't wish to probe him further. So, she welcomed the silence as it was and embraced it wholeheartedly. The light breeze blew across her face and it was calming her down. She liked it here, especially when Kai was just beside. "You know, when I first saw you, I thought you were the most rude, arrogant and short tempered guy I've ever seen." She revealed slowly. "Over time, I realised there are more than just that."

"What are you saying?" Kai finally talked and asked her back.

Lyorin smiled because she succeeded in making him talk to her. "I think you are trying to display a front that is not yourself because you're afraid."

Kai gulped. Another remark that sort of hit his nerve. However, he remained calm and replied her. "No, you're wrong. I'm exactly the guy you just described."

She shook her head vehemently in disapproval. She believed the real Kai was not the guy she just described. She knew it.

She felt it.

Across the night sky, Lyorin spotted something. "Hey look! It's a shooting star! Want to make a wish?" She faced him excitedly. However, Kai gave her a gloomy expression in return. "Why? You don't believe in it? Fine!" She closed her eyes and looked down, making a wish.

Kai examined her face while she wasn't looking. She was absolutely gorgeous. Her hair flew freely against the wind, her sharp nose and thin lips. Everything about her was perfect.

He didn't need to wish for anything more.

After a minute, she opened her eyes and Kai had to divert away quickly. "Do you want to know what I wished for?" She asked. Kai continued with his pokerface. "I wish to have as much courage as both my parents. Leaving me had got to be the hardest sacrifice they had to fulfil. Even if they chose to leave me because of their own folly, which I don't believe at all, it still required a lot of courage for them and I wish I could be as courageous." She proudly revealed.

At the mentioned of Lyorin's parents, Kai instantly softened and gazed tenderly at her eyes. He wanted to tell her the truth about them.

If he could, he would.

 

~*~

Mr Lee trudged the long road to the BAP’s residence. He was walking alone, unguarded and was vulnerable to all the possible dangers going into the enemy’s territory. He was aware of the risk yet he was adamant to see them. He meant no harm. He just wanted to show, to be more précised, to let them hear something very imp0rtant.

BAP had an army of skilled fighters with them as compared to the rest of the clans. They had the ability to train normal beings, as long as they were still part of the clan in a way. They needed more men to guard the Book of Fate, since they were the only one left in possess of it. With the blood of EXO in him, it was obvious that the members of the BAP could sense his presence right away.

“I’m here to see Mr Kim. I come here in peace!” Mr Lee yelled across the speaker at the entrance gate. There was no response but he chose to wait because he knew Mr Kim was inside. It took him about three minutes before the huge, tall steel gate opened and he was summoned in by one of their many guards.

Armed with the metal detector device in his hand, the guard scanned Mr Lee all over body making sure he didn’t bring any dangerous item such as guns. Mr Lee remained calm throughout the checks and allowed them to screen him. Even if he had brought a gun, it was not enough to save his life against a whole army of them anyway.

“Go! Mr Kim is waiting for you inside.” The bearded guard spoke harshly and pushed him in.

Seating on the big sofa chair in the living room, was Mr Kim accompanied by all the 6 members of the chosen BAP. Their faces weren’t welcoming but Mr Lee ignored and went straight to the point of his visit.

“Kim Taesung, I would like to thank you for allowing me the time. My purpose of this visit is to let you listen to this tape.” He took out the tape from his pocket and showed. Zelo marched towards it and took it from his hand. “It’s up to you to believe it or not but I’m telling you; that there are more than just us out there.”

Zelo handed the tape to Mr Kim after checking it with his ability and confirming that it was only just a cassette tape. “What is this?” Mr Kim snarled and looked at the tape with curiosity.

Mr Lee replied, “This tape was recorded just hours before Lyorin’s mother was killed.”

Hearing Lyorin’s name, Yongguk turned stiff. It had been so long since that name clouded his mind. He came closer to Mr Kim to look at the tape as well.

“Why do I have to listen to this?” Mr Kim further interrogated.

Mr Lee cleared his throat before answering, “Because ~” He stared at the floor, envisioning the possible outcome of the disclosure. “Because the woman’s voice in the tape belongs to Im Jin Ah, granddaughter of the great Kim Jongwoon.  Yes, the late Kim Jongwoon; the clan master of BAP 50 year ago.

Then, there was silence as everyone tried to swallow Mr Lee’s words. Mr Kim stared into space because he just could not believe it.

Yongguk walked up to Mr Lee with a grave expression. “If what you said is real, then Lyorin’s mother was part of the ~”

“Yes, she was one of you.”

 

~ Flashback ~

Chapter 56: Dawn of the Rising Star

 

“WHERE IS SHE?!” A male voice yelled.

“I DON’T KNOW WHO YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT!” A female voice responded shakily.

“BLOODY HELL, YOU KNOW WHO EXACTLY I’M TALKING ABOUT!”

“Come on pretty face, tell me where did you hide your child?” Another male voice joined.

“I DON’T HAVE A CHILD!” The lady yelled.

“A brightest child will be born among the stars; the consequence of a pure but forbidden love. Does it sound familiar? Or should I be more specific? Does it sound like you? Come on Juliette, we all know who you are and which clan you’re from. Just tell us where the child is? We won’t hurt you.” His voice was calm which made it even more menacing.

“I- I don’t know what you’re saying.”

“Why are you shaking? Are you afraid? What a pity. Where is your Romeo? Romeo oh Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?”

Laughter erupted.

“Let me ask you one last time, where is the child?”

The female voice remained silent.

Subsequently, only painful cries and loud banging sounds were heard. The sounds were enough to make one cower in fear as well as disgust. It seemed like the female was struggling. Gasping and choking sounds could be heard.  Despite the cries, the torturing felt like it was going to be endless.

Finally, there was silence. Only the male voices remained.

“Whoa, it’s been so long since I had this so much fun!”

“Now, what?”

“We need to find the child.”

“Stupid ! She’s just as stubborn as her kind.”

“What can you expect from a –“

“BAP.”

 

(To be continued)