Chapter 49

The Night Sun

49

 

[D-1]

It was a brand new day and Lyorin woke up feeling more energetic and optimistic than any other mornings. Yes, more optimistic towards life. Ever since last night story telling session, she kept chanting to herself the same phrase over and over again.

She needs to be strong. She needs to hold on. She needs to survive.

And, she needs to know she is not alone in this.”

“I have to be strong and survive all this, not for myself but for everyone. Lyorin, fighting!” She beamed and pumped her fist up in the air.

She walked down the long staircase towards the empty kitchen. The house was still quiet as all the boys were still soundly asleep. She woke up in her usual timing and previously, the guys would have woken up as well. However, nowadays, with all the excessive training and sleepless nights because they had to guard the house, the guys barely had sleep.

She opened the refrigerator and took out all the ingredients needed to make a well deserving breakfast for the guys. There were 25 guys in the house, meaning she had to cook a feast. It took her a few trips to and fro the refrigerator and the kitchen counter and then finally managed to assemble all the ingredients. She took out her jacket which she was wearing because she had begun to perspire. Meticulously, she sliced, cut, diced, washed and blended all the ingredients before heating the stove.

As she stirred the food in the pan, she took a bite and tasted it.

“Hmm ~ this needs salt.” She mumbled softly. Quickly, she searched for the salt and finally found it kept at the top of the shelf. “Aish, why did D.O oppa keep it at such a high place?” She grumbled while stretching her hand for it. She let out a sigh and grabbed a stool since she was still unable to reach for it.

As she was about to climb the stool, a deep voice entered the kitchen. “It’s been so long since I last scolded you. Do you want to make me angry, Kim Lyorin?”

Lyorin was startled by the voice but thankfully she wasn’t on the stool yet. She turned around to see Kris folding his arms and looking at her with a frown. She gulped and gave a smile before giggling softly, hoping it would soothe him.

“He He He, oppa ~” She faked a laugh and smiled timidly.

Kris walked towards her and then grabbed the salt with ease. “What ‘He He He’ huh? Do you think by being cute, you can get away with everything?” He pinched her cheek but then added. “Actually, it works for you.

Lyorin chuckled upon knowing that her aegyo can soften even the most cold-hearted Kris. “Thank you.” She said and quickly grabbed the salt from him.

Kris continued his nag. “Just because we have Lay doesn’t mean you are allowed to attract accidents. You know what if you have fallen off the stool and hit your head ~” He was cut short when suddenly Lyorin fed him the food. “Wh-what is this?” He asked before tasting it. After a brief silence, his eyes suddenly brightened. “Wow this is nice!”

 “Yes success!” Lyorin exclaimed. “Now, will you please help me wake the rest up for breakfast? It’s almost done.” She said and pushed him out of the kitchen.

“Yah yah!” Kris struggled. “I’m not done with you. The food is nice but it’s not going to stop me from lecturing what you just did.”

“Get your long legs out of the kitchen you tall thing ~” Lyorin said and continued pushing him.

“Kim Lyorin, how dare you call me a thing!” He shot but eventually exited the kitchen to let her finish her job in peace.

 

Finally, everyone gathered at the dining room and immediately their mouths watered after seeing the dishes which Lyorin managed to whip all by herself. The dining table wasn’t enough to fit all 25, so some had to make do with eating at the living room or other parts of the house. Yet, it didn’t stop them from complimenting Lyorin’s food delightfully.

“Wow, this is amazing!”

“The best breakfast I ever had!”

“I didn’t know you cook so well!”

Lyorin smiled proudly knowing that the guys enjoyed her cooking. That was the least she could do to get them re-energized for another intensive day. Even though the room was packed and noisy, she could sense that someone was missing. True enough, Kai wasn’t there. She didn’t get to see him the night before and now, he wasn’t around again.

 She went closer to Baekhyun and tugged his arm. “Oppa, where is Kai?” She asked him softly.

“Oh ~ Kai is in the room. He told me he’ll join us later.” He said and then continued devouring the food.

Lyorin sneaked her way out but someone pulled her arm when he noticed she was walking away. “Where are you going?” Yongguk asked.

She looked at his eyes and stuttered. “Hmm ~ I’m go-going to my r-room.” It was a lie.

Yongguk reluctantly let her arm go and watched her leave them. He knew she lied.

While walking towards Kai’s room, she thought about what happened a few minutes ago. She could have just told Yongguk the truth but she didn’t. She sighed not knowing why she did it.

Finally, she was in front of Kai’s bedroom door. She gave a knock and called. “Kai, are you in?” She pushed open without waiting for his response. As she entered the room slowly, Kai was seen to be frantically hiding stash of papers away. “What are you doing?” She asked curiously.

However, Kai hid the papers inside a box before she could see it. Once done, he looked up at her and frowned seriously, as if unhappy. “Why are you here?”

His tone of voice caught her off guard as she stopped walking and stood halfway across the room. “I-I was wondering why you’re not eating.” She answered softly. “Bu-but I guess you’re busy, so I will leave you alone.” She turned her heel and was about to walk out when suddenly Kai appeared right before her with an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry for being harsh to you ~” He said.

She smiled and shook her head. “It’s alright. I’m sorry too for barging into your room.”

He took her hand and led her to sit on his bed. “I heard you cook breakfast.” He said and settled opposite her.

“Is that why you’re not eating?” She pouted.

Kai laughed and ruffled her hair messily. “Of course not, silly girl. I will eat anything you cook even if it’s just plain white rice.” He assured. “I’m just a little tired.”

When he mentioned about being tired, that was when she noticed the dark circles under his eyes and the droopy eye lids. She cupped his face tenderly and spoke. “Kai, if you’re tired, take a rest please.”

He smiled and replied. “I will, don’t worry about me.”

Lyorin stretched herself and then remembered about the stash of papers Kai was trying to hide from her. Being a very curious girl, of course she needed to know what it was. “Kai, what were you doing just now?”

He knew what she was talking about me. He kind of expected her to ask him eventually. However, he wasn’t supposed to tell her anything about the letters. It wasn’t the time yet. “Love letters ~” That was all he answered.

Her eyes widened in shock and probed him further. “What love letters?”

“Love letters for someone special but too bad she is not of age yet.” He chuckled, obviously amused at her reaction.

“Eh?”

“Aish, it’s nothing ~ I’ll tell you when it’s the right time okay?” He promised.

Slowly, she reached out for his hand and asked him lovingly. “Kai, will you be home tonight?”

He tilted his head and stared at her. “I have to do my rounds, baby bear.”

She looked down and mumbled. “Can you stay with me tonight?”

Ever since they started training together and having BAP and BTOB around the house, Lyorin had never gotten the chance to spend the nights with Kai anymore. She missed the times when they were together, getting cosy and snuggling. She didn’t know why but she needed to spend that night with him. She had given many thoughts about it and she wished to tell him everything about her feelings for him. She was just afraid it might be all too late.

 Kai looked at her and said. “Alright, I promise I’ll come back for you at night so wait for me.”

 

Lyorin looked at the clock waiting for Kai to finally stop his duty and come back for her. He promised, didn’t he? Meanwhile, she sat together with the rest of the boys who were in the living room. They were noisy as usual but it didn’t erase the weight on her chest. It wasn’t fear. It was something else.

She stood up and scanned their faces. Other than Kai, Hyunsik and Yongguk, the rest of them were there. She cleared and began. “He-hello ~” Her voice quivered nervously. Of course, no one took notice. She tried again, slightly louder than before. “Hello, can I have a moment please?”

This time the guys stopped and concentrated on her. One by one their eyes fixed on her as they waited for her to speak.

She sat back down before speaking. “I want to say something to every one of you. I hope you guys listen and don’t stop me because I’m just afraid I will regret if I don’t say it.” She earned positive response and then started. “I know this might seem like a final message from me, but please just let me do this.” She said in a low voice. The guys stared at her. Some frowned while others had serious expressions on. They didn’t like it when they heard her say, final.

“To BTOB, I’m extremely grateful for everything you’ve done. Even though we didn’t get to speak a lot but I can see that you’re just as fabulous as the rest. How I wish I could spend more time with you ~”

“Why are you being like this? We’re not going anywhere and so are you. Starting from now you can spend as much time you want with us.” Minhyuk said, earning nods from the rest of s.

Lyorin smiled. “I know, I’m just saying it ~” She stopped. “It’s alright, never mind. Moving on, to BAP, I want you to know that whatever it is, I’ve never blamed you guys. Everything happens because it’s all fated.” She said.

Himchan and went closer to give her a hug. “I apologise on the behalf of the rest of my members for all the wrongdoings we have done to you.”

“I’ve forgiven you.” She smiled and patted his back.

Lastly, she turned to EXO. These guys, even though they knew each other in barely two years, were the people Lyorin treasured the most. “EXO ~” She began. “You guys aren’t just my guardians. You guys are the only relatives I have in this world; the best brothers I could ever ask for.” She stopped and looked down. No, she wasn’t going to cry. It was so hard but she had to remain strong. This wasn’t the final right?

“Lyorin, there was never a day we see you as our Star ~” Kris said. “You’re not our Star. You are the reason why we are here. You are our strength and we have always regarded you like a sister; a naughty one.” He smiled cheekily. “I know this might be weird, but we love you and we expect nothing more than making you happy.”

She came to him and tightly hugged him. Burying her face in his chest, she sobbed. “I love you guys too. All of you.”

Lyorin was fiddling with the soft toy while sitting cross-legged on her bed. She looked at the time and by right Kai was supposed to be still doing his rounds, but he promised to come see her tonight. He promised and true enough, Kai appeared just right at her balcony. Before, she would probably scream in shock and get really pissed when Kai just appeared out of nowhere. However, things changed and she became accustomed to him. His presence was the only thing that could make her happy and she didn’t get surprised anymore.

“Hey baby bear ~” He smiled and entered her room. He was looking really tired which Lyorin felt guilty for asking him to meet her when he had imp0rtant task to do.

Without saying anything else, he plopped and took a spot beside her on the bed. He stretched and yawned like a baby. She watched him and smiled. “Are you tired?”

He nodded and snuggled closer to her. That night, he was the one being all cuddly. “If I happen to sleep here by accident, I apologise.” He said.

“You can sleep here tonight.” She replied casually. Then, there was a brief silence. She took his hand and it lovingly. She wanted to say it tonight. No more being a coward anymore.

 “Kai, I-I-I ~”

“Lyorin, do you know that I’ve always wanted to watch sunrise with you every morning? Can we do it tomorrow?” He asked.

Lyorin stopped what she was about to say and replied. “Yes of course. I’ve always wanted to do the same thing with you.”

Kai pulled her arm and said. “Come lie beside me.” Slowly, she followed his request and lied on her back. He pulled her closer to him immediately and had his arms wrapped around her. “Can I ask you something?”  He closed his eyes and nuzzled on top of her head. “What will you do if I’m gone?”

Instantly, Lyorin’s heart skipped a beat upon hearing his question. However she was confident on the reply. “Nothing ~”

“Nothing?” He asked curiously.

“Nothing ~ because you won’t be gone. You’ll always be here for me. You’ve promised, remember?” She said.

Kai smiled and her hair. “But ~ what if ~”

“There’s no but, Kai.”

“Lyorin, listen to me. If I’m unable to fulfil the promise, please I beg you, just live happily with or without me.” He said calmly. Out of a sudden, he heard sniffing sounds. He bent his neck to see that Lyorin was tearing. “Why are you crying?”  He wiped her tears with his finger. She continued to cry and immediately Kai hugged her even tighter. “Shh ~ I’m sorry. Please don’t cry.”

“K-K-Kai, don’t ever leave me. I d-do-don’t think I can ~”

He put a finger on her lips to stop her from speaking. “Shh ~ You can do it.” He assured. However, she shook her head and continued to cry.

“I can’t ~” She sobbed.

“Yes you can. You have all the reason to continue living because ~” Kai stopped and remembered the box of letter underneath his bed. She must live because of that. However, he wasn’t going to reveal it to her now. “While me, I don’t have anything.”

“What are you saying?! You have everything. You have EXO. You have me.” She reasoned. “You have me, Kai.”

“I know. It’s because I only have you that I want you to live.” He said with a smile. “Shh ~ stop crying please.” He pleaded. “It’s a lovely night for baby bear to be happy and not cry.” He pinched her nose and wiped the tears from her eyes.

Eventually, she stopped crying and rested her head on his shoulder. It was indeed a lovely night. “I wish time would stop.” She mumbled softly.

“If only Tao Hyung ~” He chuckled.

“We’ll be able to see sunrise tomorrow morning, right?” She asked.

“Of course. Not just tomorrow morning, but every other morning.” He assured.

 

~*~

 

“KAI! KAI! WAKE UP!” Kris roughly shook his sleeping body. Unknowingly, it was already the next morning. However, that morning would determine everything they had fought for would never be wasted. That morning would determine their fate. That morning would determine whether promises would be fulfilled or sadly, be broken.

“THEY’RE HERE!” Kris raised his voice loud enough for Kai but not too loud for Lyorin who was still soundly asleep beside him.

Kai immediately jolted up and stared at Kris. For the first time, he saw fear in his leader’s eyes. Without asking more, he got up and was more than ready to face them. He could hear noises coming from the outside and he knew EXO, BAP and BTOB were all ready as well. That was it.

Just as he was about to leave, he watched Lyorin’s beautiful face who was still sleeping and clueless to what was happening. They didn’t want to wake her up. They didn’t want her to be involved.

He bent down and kissed her forehead.

“I’ll be back. I love you.”

 

(To be continued)

 


Why can't they just confess.......oh god

 

I'm scared =333