Chapter 16

The Night Sun

16

 

Yoona bit her lips nervously as she watched her best friend ran the final lap around the track. Grasping both her hands tightly, she prayed everything would turn out fine. It was down to the last 100 metres, she stood up from her seat to get a better view of the finishing line.

"YES!!! LYORIN CAME FIRST!" Sehun shouted and pumped his fist proudly in the air. The rest of EXO got up from their seats, clapping their hands and cheering loudly as their favourite girl managed to retain her title as the best runner in the annual running championships. Lyorin waved to the boys down from the track.

Yoona cheered along, "That's the way, girl! I know you can do it!" She turned Luhan beside and gushed excitedly. "Oppa, did you see that?! She was amazing right?!"

He laughed watching her being proud of her best friend. "Yes. She's amazing!" He commented.

 

It was the first time the older members of EXO watched Lyorin's stunning performance in running. They came early to get good spots at the school stadium. All along they cheered endlessly for her and they could never be more proud of her. Even Kai, who was not on talking terms with her, seemed to have lend his voice in cheering for her.

 

EXO and Yoona waited by the cars for Lyorin to join them after changing. They wanted to celebrate her win by going for a nice dinner. Jogging slowly while carrying her backpack, she caught up with them. With a bright smile, she flashed her medal around her neck.

Sehun ran up to her and gave her a nice hug. "Congratulations!!" He sang loudly. The rest of them clapped and gave her a warm reception.

"I thought I wasn't going to win it since I didn't get to train the past month." She stated, remembering the past events that occurred.

Baekhyun slung an arm around her shoulder. "You're gifted, sweetie." He winked cheekily.

"Don't call me that please." She pouted.

Xiumin tugged her hand and said, “Come on! We need to have a celebration."

However, Lyorin stopped. She turned to Yoona and stared at her for a while before asking. "Yoona, is it okay if I sleep over at your place tonight?"

Everyone was bewildered by her sudden request. Yoona didn't expect it either but her best friend was more than welcome to come over her house any time. "Yea sure." She replied with a loving smile.

"Don't you want to celebrate with us?" Tao asked.

"I do but tonight I feel like spending it with my best buddy!" She held Yoona's hand tightly. Facing Suho and Kris, she then asked. "May I?"

Both leaders nodded their heads and allowed her to spend the night with Yoona. They guessed she probably needed the private time for once, after spending most of her days with guys around her.

 

Lazing on Yoona's comfortable bed, Lyorin let out a loud exhale. Yoona stared at her friend’s quirky behaviour. She was slightly puzzled why Lyorin wanted to spend the night at her place out of a sudden.

"Lyorin ah ~ Why didn't you want to celebrate with EXO? I mean you can always come to my place any other day." Yoona asked and sat beside her friend who was lying on her back.

Lyorin turned to the side and looked at her. "I miss the days when we spent almost every weekends sleeping over at either of our places." She said. Yoona smiled as she recalled those fond memories. "We danced, sang, ate, laughed and did all the crazy things together. I remember the time when we sneaked out of your house in the middle of the night all because we wanted to eat patbingsu that the ahjumma down the street sells. We begged her to make it for us despite knowing that the shop had obviously closed for the day." Lyorin continued the recollection.

"I remember ~ " Yoona sniffed. Tears started to well in her eyes. This girl, right beside her, was the girl whom she grew up with and she could never ask for a better person. Their friendship stretched all the way back when they were still toddlers learning how to crawl and walk. The time spent with her was probably more than the time spent with her parents, who were mostly out of town.

Lyorin was always there whenever her parents weren't there for her.

Lyorin added. "You know Yoona, I don't know why but when I ran just now during the competition, I only thought of you. Beside Aunt Marie, you are the next person who is closest to me and I want to dedicate this win for you since Aunt is not around at the moment." She pouted cutely.

"Aww Lyorin ~" Yoona sobbed and pulled her friend for a hug. "Thank you for being by my side too. I love you."

"I love you too." Lyorin replied.

 

It was past midnight and the girls were still up. They chatted and laughed, sharing stories and jokes. Everything was perfect and nice.

While doing her nails, Yoona announced. “I just went for the audition to Seoul Arts University last two days.”

“Really?” Lyorin stopped whatever she was doing and concentrated on her friend. “So, how was it?”

 Yoona smiled and said, “I will get the reply in the next two weeks. I hope ~”

“You’re going to get it for sure!” Lyorin cut her friend. “You have always been the best ballerina!” She beamed proudly.

“I really hope I can clinch my place in that university. It has always been a dream of mine. It’s just ~”

Lyorin stared at the worried expression of Yoona. “Why? What’s wrong?” She asked curiously.

“I don’t feel right. I mean, I don’t know if I will ever get to achieve my dream.” Yoona answered with a tinge of sadness in her tone. She had this feeling that she might not even get to step in that university.

Lyorin moved closer and held her friend’s hand lovingly. “Don’t worry. Everything will be just fine. You are going to be a student there.” She assured.

“I don’t know why but I just feel something bad ~”

“Since when did Yoona become a pessimist, huh? You’re worrying unnecessarily. Before you know it, you will be wearing their varsity jacket with Seoul Arts University imprinted at the back. Come on, have more faith in yourself.” Lyorin chimed in enthusiastically. She didn’t know why her friend was acting strangely. She wanted to tell her to stop worrying unnecessarily.

Maybe, she was being too paranoid.

Yoona sighed. “Oh well, I guess I shouldn’t be pessimistic.” She reached for the photo frame on the table and looked at it. It was a photo of herself and Lyorin wearing matching outfits during a school event. There were no worries, only joy and happiness. The smiles on their faces depicted exactly what they were feeling during those times when they were young. Lyorin snuggled in and looked at the photo as well. “Lyorin ah ~ whatever happens, continue smiling alright?” She said while pointing towards the picture. She loved her friend so much and hoped everything was going to be fine.

If she could, she would turn back time to when they were still young and free.

“I will ~” Lyorin replied softly.

 

 

“Yoona, how was your dance like for the audition? Can I watch it?” Lyorin asked out of a sudden when the girls were about to tuck in under the blanket.

Yoona laughed. “I showed it someone already. You can ask him how it was.”

Lyorin sulked and said. “How could you show it to Luhan first and not me?”

Yoona smiled as she re-played the images of the night when she spent it with Luhan in the dance room. She blushed at the thought of her first kiss with Luhan.

It was lovely and she really wished that it won’t be the last time she would get to spend the night with him.

 

 

~*~

 

Back in the mansion in the company of the boys, Lyorin stared blankly at the plate of food in front of her. It was dinner and the sounds on spoons and fork clattered across the entire dining hall. She was having this particularly bad feeling in her gut that she could not quite explain it. Ever since the night she spent with Yoona and listening to her best friend’s worries, she realised there was something about Yoona and her deep words. As much as she tried to erase her paranoia, there was this extreme nervousness built deep within her.

Noticing her sullen expression, Xiumin asked. “Lyorin, what’s wrong?” The guys stopped eating for a while and looked at her. She continued staring into space, deep in thoughts.

Slowly, she glanced up and saw the curious stares from the guys. She needed to say it. She needed to let it off her chest. She finally spoke what was on her mind.

 “I’m worried. I don’t know what’s wrong but I just have this sudden bad feeling in me.” She sighed.

Chen scrutinized her face closely trying to read her. “Is it that unexplainable feeling as though you know something bad is bound to happen?”

To her surprise, what Chen just said is quite spot on. “Exactly, but I’m not sure why or what.”

Lay hit Chen in his arm secretly and whispered. “Chen, can you don’t make her more scared?”

“Wh-what?” Chen scratched his head. He didn’t mean to scare her further. He was just stating the obvious.

Sehun rubbed her cheeks and said. “Don’t be scared. You’re being too suspicious. Maybe, something good will happen instead. The future is unpredictable, so enjoy what’s in the present.”

“Yes, Sehun’s right. Erase those negative feelings in you because nothing will happen. As long as Chanyeol oppa is here, nothing bad will happen to you!” Chanyeol declared out loud and grinned.

He tried to turn the atmosphere back normal, pretending to be lively and cheerful. However, deep in their hearts, the guys were well aware of their situation. Having bad premonition was not something to be taken lightly. Even as the days passed, the danger they faced never once faltered or stopped.

They were dangers left and right but until now they weren’t quite sure who they should fear.

The bad guys were still unknown.

They could be far away from them.

Or they could be near them and they didn’t even know.

The thought of it kept haunting them.

In the presence of Lyorin, EXO had to remain calm, compose and happy. Despite their never ending worries and fears, they never wanted to display it to her. Just like what her father wanted, she needed to enjoy her youth just like a normal girl. She was only 18 years old. They still had another 2 years before telling her everything. Within these 2 years, she needed to live.

She must live.

“Maybe it’s not me ~” She exhaled. The guys gave her a confused expression. “I mean, maybe nothing bad will happen to me like you said but ~”

“What is it, Lyorin?” Suho asked as gentle as possible while patting her head lovingly like a big brother.

She remained quiet for a brief moment before continuing. “If anything happens, I want you to protect Yoona more than myself.”

“Lyorin ah ~” Luhan called out.

However, before he could speak Lyorin continued her speech. “I mean it.” She articulated her words. “If anything happens in the future and she needs your protection more than I do, I want you guys to use everything you have. She appears strong but in actual fact, she is as fragile and I don’t want anything bad to happen to her.”

“Why are you being ~” Kris interrupted.

Once again, Lyorin stopped them from talking. “Promise me first?!”

“Okay, okay. We promise.” Suho assured.

Lyorin finally gave them a smile after receiving their words for it. She had to make it clear to them how imp0rtant it was them to include Yoona in as well, especially when she had become a part of them. 

 

(To be continued)