Chapter 21

The Night Sun

21

 

Kai watched from the side as Lyorin placed a bouquet of flowers on the grave and then took a step back. She closed her eyes and said her prayers. It was a windy afternoon and the sky was gloomy. She requested to visit her best friend’s grave which Kai willingly brought her. She didn’t get the chance to attend her funeral wake so it was only right for him to bring her to the final resting place.

He could see her hands were trembling, either from the cold or the pain that she just swallowed. Either way, it hurt him. Several minutes passed, she finally turned to him and flashed a warm smile. He gulped nervously. He didn’t even know why but his heart skipped a beat whenever she gave him that sweet smile of hers.

“Let’s go.” She mumbled softly while tucking the lose hair behind her ears.

They made their way to the car, went in and buckled their seatbelts. Kai started the engine while she stared out of the window, looking at the grave for the last time before the car drove away. She leaned her head against the window and watched the blank road in front.

Out of a sudden, Kai’s deep voice burst the silent car. “Would you like to go somewhere?”

Lyorin faced him and gave a curious look. “I would love to but where?”

Kai didn’t answer; he stepped on the accelerator and sped. She didn’t need to know where he was bringing her. She was fine anywhere as long as she got to spend it with him.

The car went past tall buildings of the town and then towards the sub urban areas with green scenery and tall trees. Then it turned to a corner where it drove into what looked like a hill. It spiralled up the long stretch of road. She straightened her back and looked at the view of the outside. She displayed interest out of a sudden because she had never been to this area of Seoul in her life.

After a long way up, the car finally stopped at the very top of the hill and Kai pulled up the hand brake. Lyorin watched his every move and waited for him to go out of the car first. He caught her looking at him and then smiled. When he went out, she followed as well.

He reached out his hand for her and she kindly accepted it. Holding his hand, she walked behind him shyly. They walked towards the edge, with careful steps.

Just a few more steps ahead, she would be able to view what was there at the bottom. But before moving any forward, he warned her. “You have to be careful because ~”

They walked and stood right near the edge of the hill which had an overlooking view of the pretty landscape of Seoul City.

“Oh my ~” Lyorin covered her open mouth with her hand and stared at the magnificent view below. Due to their higher location, they could view the whole scenery of the city until the very end of the horizon.

After examining the beautiful landscape, she looked down the hill only to be shocked at the height level she was at. She almost stumbled forward when Kai caught her waist before she could. “Whoa ~” He was surprised himself because one wrong move and she would plunge a few hundred metres down.

"I think we should sit by the car." Kai suggested, playing it safe before sorry.

They walked to the car and sat on top of it. Lyorin immediately laid her back against the wind screen and looked at the evening sky. It was turning dark soon so the sky was red in colour.

"I didn't know such a place exist. It takes you away from the bustling city. The air up here is nice too." She inhaled and then slowly exhaled.

He nodded and agreed. Carefully, he joined and on his back beside her. "I used to come here often." He said.

Lyorin let out a chuckle. "It's easy for you to come here anytime you want. You can just teleport."

"I don't mind driving you here or anywhere else anytime too." He told her.

She smiled to herself after listening to the words he just said. It was nice of him to offer to take her anywhere she wanted to go; even though he had to drive the car. Despite the past events that happened, she was still very much attracted to the guy beside her. The way he talked, walked and the mysteriousness in his eyes; everything just fluttered her heart. He had definitely become gentler to her as compared to when they first met. It was a lie if she said that she didn’t have any feelings for him.

She liked him; still.

Kai gazed the sky that had turned dark, with twinkling stars. He was quiet and so was she. This had become a norm for them. They would spend their time side by side without breathing any word yet it wasn’t uncomfortable. In fact, the silence was peaceful. However, that night he wanted to speak to her.

“I’m sorry for being a jerk all this while.” He mumbled almost inaudibly.

Thankfully, Lyorin heard him. She turned her head to his side and stared at him. She thought she was hearing things and wanted to confirm whether if it was really him who said it. When she gave him the most adorable pout, he could not help but pinch her nose and then chuckle.

“Ouch! What was that for?” She retorted and rubbed her nose.

Kai sat up straight and looked at her seriously. “I’m sorry.” He spoke it loud and clear.


“For?” She asked and then flashed a grin.

“For being rude to you all this while ~”

“And?”

“For shouting at you the other time ~”

She giggled and then asked again. “And?”

“For being rough towards you ~”

“And?” She waited for his reply but he kept quiet instead. He knew she was purposely teasing him. He looked at her with a glum face while she started laughing and rolling on top of the car hood. “Awww don’t be angry Mr Grumpy. Anyway, I’m sorry too for always getting myself into trouble and making you angry. Want to start all over again?”

She reached out her hand and spoke. “My name is Kim Lyorin.”

“Well okay. My name is Kai; Kim Jongin Kai.” He said and shook her hand with a smile.

“Kim Jongin? Is that your real name?” She asked in surprise. They had been living together for a year yet that was the first time she heard his real name. She didn’t bother asking the guys about their pasts because she worried it might be too painful for them. Now that she heard of his real name, at least it was a step in to Kai’s mysterious space which she had always wanted to know.

He nodded and then added. “Yes, my birth name. I would like it if you call me by Jongin but I won’t force you to do it. Whichever name you’re comfortable, I’m still fine. If possible, please just call me Kai when you’re around the guys. Aish ~ any name will do.” He said and flashed a sheepish smile.

“Jong ~ In ~ I’ll try.” Lyorin echoed his name. “Okay great. Now, tell me more about yourself.” Immediately, she sat up and faced him. Both of them folded their legs and sat on top of the car hood opposite one another.

“There is nothing much about me. I was born in Seoul, raised up in Seoul and met the rest of EXO at the age of 7. If my memory doesn’t fail me, then I have two older sisters but of course, I don’t get to see them anymore. I don’t even know where they are right now.”

“I’m sorry ~” She apologised.

He shook his head. “Don’t be. It’s not your fault. I’m a part of EXO, remember.” He showed her his tattoo at the back of his neck. “Since I can’t run away from it might as well I embrace it wholeheartedly, though I do miss them a little.” He assured to her that he didn’t need the sympathy.

She tilted her head and looked at his eyes. “Wow, that’s really brave and loyal of you. I mean the sacrifice you made.”

“Lyorin, my sacrifice was nothing compared to your ~” He stopped and looked down.

“Huh? What did you say?”

He shook his head and forced a smile. “Nothing. Anyway, what else do you want to know more?”

“Your past love?” She teased and chuckled.

Kai gulped when she brought the topic of love to him. He wanted to avoid it but how long did he wish to keep it away. He would tell her sooner or later anyway. “I had a few girlfriends before but the one that lasted the longest was with Sori.” Lyorin tensed up when she heard her name. Kai then continued. “We have known each other since I started becoming part of EXO. She is Mr Lee’s daughter, so she was staying with us when we did our training. We sort of grew up together.”

“I see and then you like her?” Lyorin asked.

Kai kept silent for a brief moment. He didn’t know exactly how to answer her question. “We started dating when as once we entered our teenage years. She had always chosen me as the best among the rest of EXO and would always stick by my side. I guess feelings began to crawl in slowly over time. Everything was perfect, at least that was what I thought until ~”

 

  ~*~

 

Dressed in a pretty white dress, Sori walked down the staircase to the front door. She was carrying a small shoulder bag and her hair was neatly tied up. Kai was sitting at the living room, with the TV on. He wasn’t really watching it. His eyes were on his girlfriend who seemed to have forgotten that he was still there watching her every move. She took out her keys to unlock the door only to be shocked by Kai’s sudden appearance beside her.

“Where are you going?” He asked, not in his usual bubbly tone.

She tensed up upon seeing him. “Errr ~ I’m going to the library.” She replied meekly.

However, he was wary of her answer. “You went to the library yesterday for the whole day and you’re still going to the library today?”

She touched his cheek and gave him the prettiest smile. “Oppa, I have project. Why? Don’t you trust me?” She asked him back.

“I trust you and I’m letting you go. Don’t be home too late okay?” He replied and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

She smiled, almost smirking when he once again fell for her lie.

 

Kai paced back and forth his room and glanced for countless times his watch. It was nearly 11 at night and Sori wasn’t home yet. The library closed at 9 and it couldn’t take her more than an hour to be back. He could not wait any longer. Grabbing his black leather jacket, he put it on and disappeared from his room without telling any of s where he was going. He needed to search for her.

He roamed the area around the library, the crowded streets, the playground and the shopping malls but there was no sight of her. He began to worry. While he was walking beside the dimly lighted and quiet park, he heard a familiar voice.

“So, how’s that boy at home?” A guy’s voice entered Kai’s ears.

“Who? You mean Kai? Well nothing special except that he’s starting to get suspicious I think.” The familiar girl’s voice perked up his ears.

“When are you going to break up with him?”

“Baby, I can’t break up with him yet. I still need him ~”

“For what; you’re keeping him so that you boast to your school friends of him? If that’s the case, I’m going to transfer school and be with you. Then, you can boast to your entire friends about me.”

“No baby, please don’t. Give me more time.”

“I know he’s good looking and you get all the attention you want in school just by being his girlfriend but I’m hurt, you know.”

“Awww, don’t be mad. We’ll be over before you know it besides, I love you and that’s all that matters. He’s boring, plain and grouchy whereas you; you’re hot, y and interesting.”

“I’m glad you know it. I love you, Sori.”

“I love you, too.”

 

  ~*~

 

“Shh Kai, it’s all over. I’m sorry for asking you to tell me of your past.” Lyorin patted Kai’s back while his head leaned on her shoulder. As he slowly recalled his story, his expression turned dark with every word he spoke. She comforted by hugging him tightly, hoping it would make him feel better. She was sorry for him and felt his pain. She believed he didn’t deserve such a treatment no matter how cold or rude he was. He was betrayed, enough said. He was still a guy with feelings and to mistreat him in that way; she felt bad for him. She was thankful he managed to overcome it.

That was exactly the reason why Kai didn’t want to be close to Lyorin. He was afraid that one day; she might just betray him like Sori. However, he needed to forget his past and move on because he knew Lyorin was not like Sori.

She was absolutely different.

Unlike Sori, he was attracted to Lyorin right from the start. Her presence gave him the jitters and nervousness he couldn’t even describe. Her smile and beautiful face never once left his mind. Even her smell was enticing to him. Everything about her was alluring him so much.

Previously, he was scared of falling for her.

Now, he was glad he had fallen for her.

 

(To be continued)

 


Okay next update might take quite a while.....

Let me take this time to thank all of you for reading! I hope the story doesn't bore you in any way. Yes, i read all of your comments. Thank you and please keep the comments rolling.. kekekekeke love you!

OH GOD THIS JUST CAME IN! I'M CRY ;;____;;

 

 

 

DEAD