Chapter 36

The Night Sun

36

 

“Lyorin ah, stop talking and go to sleep.” Sehun shushed her to be quiet. She had been talking non-stop in the car.

“Sehun, I’m not allowed to move my body but my mouth is working just fine.” She retorted. She didn’t feel like taking a nap even though the journey was taking quite a bit of time.

So, she started. “I bumped into Yongguk while I was on my way to the supermarket. Luckily, I didn’t get my things yet or it would have been such a waste. So, anyway… Yes, Yongguk was there and I pulled him aside because I needed to talk and ask him a few matters. So, we went to the park which was surprising empty and quiet. Aish ~ should have known something was not right when the park was empty on a Saturday.” Lyorin did the talking inside the car while on their way back home.

Suho was driving; Sehun was beside whereas Kai was at the back seats with her. The guys didn’t question her on anything yet she was telling them what happened. They wanted her to rest but since she was in the mood to talk, they let her voice filled the car.

“Why did you even bring yourself to the park with him?” Sehun asked.

“Well I wanted somewhere quiet but ~”

“Lyorin ah, next time it’s best to stick with the crowd of people. These unknown bad guys would not have dared to do anything in the eyes of the public.” Suho advised.

She nodded and listened before continuing with the story telling. “Okay back to the story, I was talking to Yongguk and we were sitting down and then blablablabla ~”

Both Sehun and Suho chuckled listening to her cute blabbering. Meanwhile, Kai was listened intently without showing any sign of expression. He kept on a poker face. He wanted to hear her but it pained his heart every time she mentioned Yongguk’s name. Maybe, that was how she felt when he was with Sori. With a heavy sigh, he listened without complaint.

“And then~!” She raised her voice suddenly making Sehun jumped from his seat.

“YAH! Can you cut the suspense?!” Sehun scolded.

She laughed. “You need to get the feel okay? So anyway, Yongguk shouted at me telling me to run. At first, I was confused like why was this guy suddenly shouting at the top of his lungs. Then, I turned my head to see 5 guys. They looked almost like the ones we saw when ~” She stopped briefly and then looked down. “Y-Yoona ~” Her voice quivered at the mention of her late best friend.

Kai touched her hand and smoothen it, hopefully it would make her feel better. “Don’t continue if it’s too hard.” He said.

She shook her head and said. “It’s alright. I’m fine. So, I saw them and immediately my legs ran deeper into the tall trees. I know I should have run to a crowded place but the thought of having innocent people killed. I don’t want that to happen.”

Suho sighed at her. She was benevolence even at the expense of her own life. He had no comments on that but he wished for once she put herself more than others.

 “So, I ran and ran. I wanted to press the tracker watch but one of them caught up with me. As if he knew I was going to press the button, he held my wrist, preventing me from doing so. His smirk; oh God, I still have it in my head ~” She shuddered. “Then he pushed me real hard and my back hit against a tree. I didn’t feel any pain and I thought it was a light push but I was so damn wrong. When I wanted to get up, the pain was unbearable. It was like I don’t have any bones left in me. I pushed myself to stand but I couldn’t.” She stared down and then mumbled. “It was really painful that I thought I was really going to die.”

Kai wiped a tear which slipped down her cheek. “Please don’t continue with the story.” He begged.

“Yea Lyorin, get some rest okay?” Suho said.

She held on to Kai’s hand and said. “Please don’t hate Yongguk. If it wasn’t for him, I would have not survived.” She snuggled closer to him and rested her head on his chest.

Kai placed his chin on the top of her head. His hand gently her back, careful not to hurt her. He didn’t hate Yongguk. It was petty for him to be angry at someone who had saved the girl he loved. He realised he shouldn’t have acted harshly in front of Yongguk. He looked at the girl beside him. It felt like it had been ages since he last talked to her. Ever since Sori’s departure, he had never spent his time with Lyorin. He was alone most of the time and was too afraid to see her. The smell of her hair and her soft hands; he missed it so much. He fiddled with her fingers, interlocking his hand in hers.

“Your hand is so big ~” She chuckled softly, amused by the size of his palm as compared to hers.

He laughed and replied. “Because you’re a baby.”

“No, I’m not.” She pouted and cuddled even closer to him.

If he missed their interactions, then she missed it too.

“Yes you are. You’re a baby bear ~” He smoothed her hair as she went closer.

She scrutinized his hand, staring at the prominent veins. “If I’m baby bear, then you’re grumpy bear.” She told him.

“Haha! Yes yes, I’m the grumpy bear okay?” He conceded.

The journey was taking unexpectedly longer. She yawned and stretched her arms. When he saw the tiredness in her eyes, he lightly pushed her head and let her leaned on him. “Go to sleep. I’ll wake you up when we’ve reached.” He said.

Instantly, she closed her eyes and dozed off. She was breathing softly as Kai grazed her face gently. He kissed the top of her head and leaned on it. He was enjoying the moment when suddenly Suho started to speak.

“Kai, are you serious about Lyorin?” He asked and looked at him from the rear view mirror.

Kai nodded and stared out the window. He was sure of his answer. No one and nothing; absolutely nothing could stop him.

This was more than just an obligation. She was his life.

“Kai, I hope it’s not just because you have promised her father and the box of ~” Suho added.

“This isn’t just a duty. This is what I want. This is what I need.” Kai said.

Both Suho and Sehun were convinced that this time round, Kai had finally woken up his senses. They believed in him.

“Hyung, are you sure you’re going to wait till she turns 20 to show her the box of ~” Sehun asked.

“I will make sure she lives till then.” He confirmed.

Lyorin just turned 18 and this year she would be 19. They had another year to make sure she stayed alive because there was one precious belonging that Kai had kept all this while and it was meant only for her. He must fulfill the last wish his father had for her.

 

~*~

 

Kai sat on his bed with his head hung low. He wasn’t feeling upset. It was those moment when he was deep in his own thoughts. He clutched both his hands and let out a sigh. Thinking about Lyorin, he knew he could have done much better for her. Every time she got injured, he blamed himself for failing to protect her. Every time she was hurt by him, he could only curse at himself. Yet despite it all, she never once scolded or even hated him.

He bent down and reached for the wooden box. Every night before sleep, he would look at it. It was like a reminder; a reminder to tell him that she must live. He wasn’t sure what the content was but he knew this was the only possession Lyorin had. If he could, he would have given it to her however, he already made a promise. Now, he understood why he had to wait for another year. It wasn’t just a casual request. It was made with reason. This was a motivation; a motivation as well as a reminder for him.

He touched the box’s cover and was dazing away when suddenly a knock from the door snapped him back to reality. He could sense who was at the door, panicky he chucked the box under his bed and turned to the person who was opening the door. Lyorin peeked inside and then went in. Dressed in an oversized pullover and pair of shorts, she walked towards Kai. He smiled and gestured for her to sit beside on the bed.

“What are you doing in your room all by yourself?” She asked.

“Hmm nothing, I was just sitting and day dreaming.” He replied. She gave him a doubtful look. However, he touched her hand and diverted her attention. “So, are you feeling better?”

She shook her head and frowned. “I feel like a granny with my aching back.”

Kai placed his hand behind and gently her back. “You’re going to get better.” He assured. “Why don’t you rest more?”

“I have rested enough.” She pouted.

He ruffled her hair and smiled. “Are you hinting on something?” She nodded shyly at his question. “What do you want to do?”

“Anything ~”

“Bu-but you’re still sick.” He said.

She whined adorably. “Errr Kai, I’m so boreddddddd ~~~”

He pinched her nose. “Call me Kai oppa first, and then I’ll take you somewhere.”

“What?! No ~” She shot back. “We’re born in the same year.”

“I’m older. I’ve already turned 19 while you’re still a baby.” He stated cheekily. “Even Sehun who is older than you calls me Hyung. Come on Lyorin, it’s not that hard.” He leaned closer to her.

She pushed him away and argued. “Nope I won’t.” Calling him oppa was embarrassing especially when she had feelings for him. Yet, when she thought about it, she called the rest of EXO oppas as well. So, it wasn’t a big deal actually. But Kai was different. The ‘oppa’ term used for Kai had a totally different meaning from the rest of the oppas.

He folded his arms and sulked. “Fine, we’ll just stay home.”

“Grrr, this is blackmailing!” She fought back. However, Kai didn’t falter. He kept on sulking. She realised she had to call him oppa sooner or later, might as well practised it now. Slowly and softly, she mumbled. “Kai opppwaaar ~” Her fingers fidgeted nervously.

Kai chuckled when she called him quite adorably, not the usual ‘oppa’. He pinched her cheeks and said. “You know it’s illegal to be so cute. Fine you win! Come we’ll go somewhere.” He stood up and reached out his hand for her.

She jumped in joy and clapped her hands. “So, where are we going?”

 

~*~

 

“Here’s the key. You still remember how to get there right?” Suho asked and handed Kai, what looked like a house key. Kai nodded and slot the key in his jeans’ pocket. “Okay good. If anything happens, quickly inform us alright?”

“Hyung, can I come?” Sehun begged and flashed an adorable eye-smile.

Kai laughed and replied. “Sehun, you’re cute but it doesn’t work on me.”

“Aww Sehun, give Kai the chance to spend the time with Lyorin. We can always surprise visit them ~” He winked.

“Noooo ~” Kai growled while the rest of the boys laughed.

“If we’re coming, we’ll tell you earlier.” Suho ruffled his hair and assured.

“Please do so ~”

Baekhyun walked closer and questioned him naughtily. “Why, what are you afraid of?”

“Hyung!” Kai frowned.

Chanyeol smacked Kai’s head and warned. “You better don’t do anything stupid on her ~”

“HYUNG!” Kai raised his voice. “I’m not that sort of guy okay?” He confirmed.

“Yes yes we believe you. Now, get going.” Kris said and pushed him to the car where Lyorin was already inside.

Kai hopped in, flashing a bright smile to the girl that was sitting beside him all eager and excited. He told her to pack a bag full of clothes enough for the weekends because he wanted to bring her to a special place only EXO knew. Of course, she followed and packed her bag thinking that she would spend the weekends with the whole of EXO. However, when she realised it was only going to be only Kai, her stomach churned nervously. Yes, she was excited but the thought of spending time with only Kai was unimaginable. She waited patiently in the car for him while the guys talked. When he finally entered and began to start the car, she waved at the rest of EXO. They all looked happy, okay maybe except for Sehun who was sulking adorably. He wanted to tag along but then it would be awkward so the rest of the boys told him to stay at home.

The engine roared and the car drove out of the porch, away from the mansion.

“It’s going to be a long journey so just relax or go to sleep if you want.” Kai told her.

She tilted her head and looked at him. “Kai, where are we going?”

He smiled and replied. “Somewhere nice, somewhere you will love.”

 

(To be continued)

 


FEELS TT_______TT I wonder where Kai is bringing her....