Chapter 48

The Night Sun

48

 

[D-2]

“SEHUN HYUNG! Why did you ttakbam me so hard?!” Zelo rubbed his sore forehead after receiving the punishment for losing the game which the guys were on.

Sehun let out an evil laughter and said. “Wow, it feels good to be a hyung for once.” Earning glares from the younger males, specifically Zelo, Jongup and Sungjae, Sehun shot back innocently. “What?!”

Lyorin watched them with a smile on her face while eating the ice-cream. Even though the mansion could never be quiet or empty, it was definitely an atmosphere she didn’t mind being in forever. It warmed her and she felt safe being with them all. 

But then, safe might be too good of a word.

She let out a sigh which was a tad too loud for the boys to straightaway divert their attention on her.

Xiumin cupped her cheeks and asked. “What’s wrong?”

She shook her head telling them nothing was wrong, but her expression showed the otherwise. There was definitely something bothering her. The guys knew for sure what was in her mind. Even for themselves, they were not as fine as what they seemed to be. They were laughing, teasing and joking around but deep in their hearts, they were as scared as her. Yet, showing fear was a sign of weakness and they didn’t want to show it, especially in front of Lyorin.

Changseob came closer and sat beside her. “Don’t worry okay? The guys are taking turns guarding the area and on a look out if there are anyone coming for us.”

Lyorin was aware of that because Kai, was one of the guys keeping a watch at this hour of the night. He was teleporting here and there, making sure the area was cleared from unexpected intruders. It wasn’t just Kai, Yongguk was out and so was Hyunsik. It was their turn.

Changseob earned a smack from the back from Eunkwang because what he just said was probably making Lyorin more scared. “Changseob, you’re not helping ~” He said.

Suho whispered something to Kris, which he then conveyed the message to Eunkwang and to the rest of the guys that were present. The whispering caught Lyorin’s attention and she was curious, especially when she was the only one left out. She pouted and looked at Suho, hoping he would be the one to tell her what it was.

Suho pulled her waist and brought her closer to him. “Come sit near Oppa. We have something to tell you.” Lyorin snuggled beside him and folded her knees, making herself comfortable while the rest of the guys crowded the room. “Do you want to hear a story?”

After receiving eager nods from her, Suho began.

 

~*~

 

There was a small village located at the outskirt of Seoul, comprising of families, relatives and close friends. It was small but lively. People knew each other, greeted one another, talked and laughed together and spent their daily lives being in the comfort of people whom they cared and trusted. It started out small but the numbers grew bigger and bigger with every passing day. Soon, the village turned in to a community. Yet, this community was still as tight as before. Nothing changed.

Each and every one of them was tied, linked, bonded together by an invisible thread; a thread which determined their existence in this world. They had a pair of eyes, a nose and a mouth; everything about them was as normal as all the humans, who live and eventually die.

However, they were not as normal as anyone could imagine. They had powers.

Some of them were chosen and born with powers; only to protect mankind. Yes, to protect mankind. The powers ensured peace as well as their existence in this world and this could only happen because of the Book of Fate.

Without the book, they were powerless. Without the book, they would disappear. Most imp0rtantly, without the book, they were nothing but beasts.

This book might just be a book filled with prophecies yet this same book teaches them how to control and use their powers not for themselves but to the rest of humans.

“With great powers, comes great responsibility.”

What are their responsibilities?

BAP, BTOB and EXO; these weren’t just names. These names were their pride. Once they were part of the clans, their lives were pretty much pre-destined. They cannot ignore. They cannot run away.

50 years ago and before, people were willing to have their lives pre-destined. Because being a part of these clans were not just obligations but also an honour. Their heads hung high. Everyone else respected them because their conscience was clear. They were doing the right thing.

They were tasked to kill and assassinate. Even so, it was still right.

These people, the forsaken ones they called them; they were the bile to the community, to mankind. Before they carried out their malicious intentions, it was only right for the chosen ones to kill them before more hurt was done.

Thus, the Book of Fate, just like its name, determines the future, the fate of people.

But what if the sacred book prophesied what seemingly wrong but correct? 

He was chosen to be killed. Yet, he wasn’t. He was the one who started the years on disputes and hatred. Yet, he wasn’t caught. He was the one who would finally put an end to the coveted fraternity, which used to be blissful and strong.

Yet, would he succeed? He succeeded many times but would this be another success story?

“A brightest child will be born among the stars; the consequence of a pure but forbidden love. She can unite the dawn and dusk, the fire and ice; and the east and west. She will return the light that has gone far too long. Free your thoughts away and look at the vast, clear sky. Remember; seek the sun for it shines at the brightest star. Protect her with all your life if you do not wish to remain in the dark.”

Only a girl will be able to stop his quest; a harmless, helpless girl. She is the only who could stop the years of misery and eventually bring everything back in place.

She needs to be strong. She needs to hold on. She needs to survive.

And, she needs to know she is not alone in this. If she is scared, they will erase the fear in her. If she cries, they will wipe her tears. If she falls, they will pick her up. But if she loses hope, then so do they.

The only way they could help is to make sure she wins it. That’s the very least they could do.

If the Book of Fate summons us to protect her, then we should.

One mistake was enough. They can’t afford another one.

 

~*~

 

Kai trudged deeper into the silent, cold wood. It was pitch black and he couldn’t even see where he was going but because he possessed instincts, almost animalistic, he could navigate his way easily. That night, it was his duty together with Hyunsik and Yongguk to roam the area and check on any possible threats or intruders. This had become a routine day and night, ever since all of them were living together. To be more précised, ever since they knew it was coming. They knew without a doubt the end was near. They were sure of it but what they weren’t sure of is, whether they would win it victoriously or not.

Every passing night, Kai prayed he could still see the sunrise with Lyorin by his side, smiling and laughing sweetly. That night, it was no different. He wished it wasn’t the last night for anyone. He had been teleporting around the mansion, combing as many areas as possible. So far, the coast was clear. He looked at his watch and switched on the light to see the time. It was already 4am, which meant his duty was about done. Next would be, Chen, Jongup and Changseob’s turn.

As he walked slowly back to the mansion, unable to teleport anymore because his energy was almost drained, he bumped into the two guys who were supposedly on the same guard team as him; Hyunsik and Yongguk.

“Did you come across any strange encounter?” Yongguk asked the exhausted Kai. When he saw the dark circles under his eyes and his chapped lips, Yongguk asked in concern. “Kai, you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” He nodded and grabbed the bottle of drink from Hyunsik. “Thanks.” Quickly, he gulped the drink before replying. “There was nothing on my side. How’s yours?”

“Nothing from me too ~” Hyunsik replied while Yongguk shrugged, gesturing that he didn’t receive any unusual intruders as well.

Kai finished the drink and said. “Okay. Hopefully it stays this way.” They entered the mansion and Kai was about to walk away when suddenly Yongguk tugged his arm.

“Mind having a word with me for a while?” He asked and then turned to Hyunsik. “Hyunsik, I want to talk to you too.”

Kai and Hyunsik gave a surprise look. Even though both of them were dead beat, the seriousness in Yongguk’s voice made them stop and follow him to the living room, where they could talk; just the three of them.

“What is it?” Hyunsik asked, taking a spot at the left side of the sofa while Kai on the right.

Yongguk sat opposite them with his eyes calmly fixed down as though he was deep in thought. Slowly he began. “It’s about Lyorin ~”

The mention of Lyorin’s name perked both of the guys’ ears and immediately became attentive.

“What about her?” Hyunsik asked while Kai remained silent.

Yongguk cleared his throat and spoke. “I will do anything to make sure she lives and I want you guys to know that I care for her.”

“It goes without saying. I care for her too and I will sacrifice everything just for her.” Hyunsik responded.

“I know ~” Yongguk sighed. “I’d do the same. I just want to clarify a few things. I’m aware of your feelings for her; the both of you. And I’m sure you guys are aware of mine right? I just hope we don’t get our feelings in the way. It doesn’t matter who wins her heart eventually. The priority is to protect her. It’s not about who sacrifices the most or what not. She isn’t obliged to choose anyone just because he sacrifices more. Everyone is equal. Do you get me?”

Hyunsik nodded. “I understand. At the end of the day, it’s about her and not us. Whoever she chooses to be with it’s entirely her decision.”

“Yes. May the best man win?” Yongguk said.

“Yes, the best man wins.” Hyunsik agreed.

Kai remained quiet the whole time the both of them were talking. As a result, Yongguk turned to him and asked. “Kai, do you have anything to say?”

Kai cracked his knuckles as he straightened his back, facing the both of them. With his usual deep voice, he spoke. “If I die, I beg the both of you to stay alive so you can look after her, not for me but for herself.”

With that, he stood up and walked away, leaving the two of them feeling dazed.

Kai didn’t need to say anything else. It wasn’t about who wins or not. It’s about making sure she stays happy regardless. He knew without him, only these two guys could make her happy.

(To be continued)

 


AWWW KAI... ;~~~~;

 

Everything wil run smoothly, Kai... Don't lose hope