Chapter 45

The Night Sun

45

 

Tossing and turning, Lyorin was experiencing yet another bad dream. The rest of the guys were soundly asleep, all except Hyunsik who happened to be passing by her room. His ears went sharp when he heard soft cries coming from her room. Worriedly, he knocked and then pushed the door without waiting for any reply. His eyes landed on the bed where Lyorin was not comfortable in her sleep.

 Gently, he nudged her shoulder. “Lyorin, wake up sweetie.” He called her soothingly. He her perspiring forehead and clasped her hand.

After several seconds, she opened her eyes and instantly let out a long sighed. Hyunsik remained by her side and looked at her tenderly. Once she regained herself, she looked at him with scared eyes. “It was just a dream ~” She coughed, trying to calm herself down.

He nodded and touched her cheeks. “Yes Lyorin, only a dream ~”

“Wh-what time is it?” She asked.

He looked at the wall clock before answering. “It’s a quarter before five.”

“Oh ~” She muttered and pushed herself up. “Why are you ~”

“I needed a drink so I was heading to the kitchen when suddenly I heard you.” He explained. “I’m a morning person so I’m usually up by five.” He grinned. “Are you okay?”

She nodded. “Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks.”

“Okay good. Go back to sleep alright. I will wait until you sleep, if you want me to. I don’t really have anything to do now actually. I was planning to go for my usual morning run ~”

“You’re going to run?” She cut him. He nodded and smiled. “Can I come with you?”

He scratched his head. “You want to run with me?”

“What? Do you think I can’t run is it? Hello I’m Kim Lyorin, the ~”

“Yes, I know. You’re the school athlete; the famous and pretty school athlete.” He chuckled.

“So, can I come with you? Since I’m already up early, might as well I run with you. It’s been so long anyway.”

“Okay okay. I’ll see you downstairs in half an hour.” He said.

 

“Oppa, I’m going for a run with Hyunsik. Is that okay?” Lyorin asked Kris who was the only EXO up and in the kitchen, searching for milk.

Kris bent down and stared at her eyes. “Are you okay already?” He asked while she nodded to his question. “Take care alright and if anything ~” He pointed at her watch that she was wearing. “Call us immediately. Do you understand?”

“Lyorin, are you ready ~” Hyunsik stopped when he noticed Kris stood up and looked at him. “Oh hmmm…” He stuttered.

“Don’t go too far and look after her.” That was all Kris said and allowed Lyorin to go with Hyunsik.

 

Hyunsik and Lyorin jogged along the pathway that was encircling the big lake. The morning Sun was shining bright and the air was clean and fresh, the perfect weather to have a run. Both of them kept quiet and concentrated on their jogging pace. After about an hour, they finally stopped and rested by the side of the lake on the ground. 

Lyorin was wiping the sweat with the towel without realising that Hyunsik had been staring at her all along. He was still very captivated by the way she looked and carried herself. She didn’t need to dress nicely or put on any make up, she was already perfect.

“You’re beautiful ~” He mumbled softly but was loud enough for her to hear.

She stopped whatever she was doing and looked at him. “Was the run not long enough to get you awake? Or did you hit your head ~”

“No, Lyorin. I’m wide awake and I’m saying it from the bottom of my heart. You are the most beautiful girl.” He said.

She gulped nervously at the words he just said. It was flattering yet she was nervous because it wasn’t just a mere compliment. She knew he was sincere but she was afraid the outcome might disappoint him. However, she managed a reply. “Thanks ~”

Suddenly, he turned around to face her and held both her hands in his. He clasped it tightly and looked straight at her eyes, which had widened in surprise. “Lyorin, do you know what went through my mind before I plunge down?” He asked. Slowly, she shook her head, unable to answer. “I was thinking of you; only you. You were the last person in my mind. I could not care less whether I will die or survive the fall. I only wanted you to be safe and I don’t regret my actions, not at all. Kim Lyorin, you’re really special to me. Everything about you makes me crazy; I can’t sleep or eat properly if I know you’re hurt or in danger. The way you speak the way you look and the eyes that are looking at me now; everything just makes my heart flutters uncontrollably. I love ~”

“Hyunsik ~” She cut him before he could end his sentence. She grazed his cheeks and cupped his face affectionately, while still fixing her eyes in his. “I’m really grateful for all the things you have done for me. I’m touched by your words and I really appreciate it. You’ve always been there for me and I want to thank you for looking after me all this while. But ~” She stopped and looked away. “Your feelings ~ I can’t ~” She stuttered unable to put her thoughts in words.

Hyunsik placed his finger on her lips. “Shh ~ you don’t have to say it. I know.” He said. “I apologise if what I just said makes you uncomfortable. It was just a declaration that I want you to know. I wasn’t expecting an answer.” He smiled. “Besides, I know who you’ve picked right from the start.” Lyorin gave him a puzzled look. He pinched her nose and chuckled. “I have powers if you remember ~”

“Oh but then why did you still ~”

“A large part of me was hoping you would change your mind but I was wrong. You never falter, not even once.” He interrupted. “You know what the irony of it is? Your loyalty is attractive and I can’t help but to fall deeper for you because of that. I should be jealous and disapprove of it but instead I don’t want it to stop.”

“Hyunsik ah ~” She soothed.

“He’s lucky. He’s really lucky ~” He sighed and looked down.

Immediately, Lyorin pulled him for a hug. She the back of his hair and leaned his head on her shoulder. “I’m sorry.” She whispered. “Hyunsik, your presence is one of the most incredible moments in my life. I can always count on you and you’ve been there for me all the time. I want you to know how special you are to me and I can never ask for a better friend.”

“Friend…” He muttered inaudibly.

 “You’re nice, caring, kind, sweet and loving. I’m sure you will find someone more deserving.” She added. “Whatever it is, please be happy.”

“I-I will. I want you to be happy too ~” He said softly.

 

Both of them headed back, just in time for breakfast. As they walked towards the house, Lyorin saw Kai all alone at the basketball court. Hyunsik noticed him too and quickly he told her to go to him while he went inside the house first. Slowly, she walked to the basketball court where Kai was shooting the ball into the hoop continuously. His back was facing her but he was aware of her presence. He knew she was coming for him. But he refused to turn around to see her. He was slightly angry because she went out with Hyunsik, actually he was more of jealous than angry.

“Kai ~” She called out softly.

However, he pretended to have not heard her and continued shooting the ball into the basket. Seeing that he wasn’t responding to her call, she walked closer and tapped his shoulder.

He stopped bouncing the ball and turned around with an adorable pout plastered across his face. “What?” He said.

“Have you eaten breakfast?” She asked with a smile.

“No ~” He answered, looking away from her gaze.

“Why aren’t you eating?” She asked, pushing his chin lightly so that he would face her.

“Because I’m not hungry ~” He answered.

“Why aren’t you hungry?”

“Because I’m not ~” He replied.

She chuckled, amused at his short replies. “Is grumpy bear being grumpy today?” She giggled and went to pinch his right cheek.

He pouted. “My name is grumpy bear and I have all the right to be grumpy!” He folded his arms and looked away.

Instead of coaxing him, Lyorin snatched the ball from him and dribbled closer to the net before shooting. Skilfully, the ball went through the net. She continued bouncing the ball and ran around the court. Kai stood in the middle awkwardly while watching her athletic self. She was really good in anything.

“What are you doing?” Kai finally spoke after several minutes have past.

“What else, playing basketball of course.” She replied and brushed past him on purpose.

“Aren’t you tired from all the run already? Oh wait, you went with Hyunsik, that’s why you’re not tired. Ah I see ~” He mocked.

Lyorin stopped bouncing the ball and stared at him. Now, she understood why he had been grumpy. She approached him and then stood in front while hugging the ball in her hands. “Is that why you’re angry? That I went out with Hyunsik?” She asked. However, Kai remained silent. “Kai, we just went for a run. That’s all ~” She explained. “Come on Kai, let’s go inside and eat breakfast. I’m hungry!”

Seeing that he didn’t budge and kept on with the silent treatment, she sat down on the court itself.

“What are you doing?” He asked. “Stand up ~” He insisted.

She shook her head and replied. “I’m not going to unless someone stops sulking.”

A smile crept and immediately he bent down to her. “Okay I’ll stop. Come let’s get inside. It’s getting hot here.” He urged and pulled her to stand.

Walking together back to the mansion, she ruffled his hair playfully and said. “Sometimes I wish you have powers like Hyunsik or Luhan oppa ~”

“Hyunsik again? If you like him, then go with him.” He frowned.

“Aish, this is exactly the reason why I wish you actually possess their powers instead.” She sighed.

“I don’t understand.” He said.

“It’s okay Kai. You’ll know one day.” She said.

 

 

~*~

“Master, we are ready for the battle.” The group of men said in unison as they stood confidently before their clan head. Their eyes were burning with fire and so were their mighty spirits, all ready to attack and win the battle.

The elderly man paced around the room and looked at their eagerly faces.

“Let’s do it ~” That was all he said and it was enough.

 

(To be continued)