Chapter Twenty-Four: Compromise

Are We Destined to Be?

(Taeyeon's POV)

"So how's dad?" asked Seungho.

I looked at the ground. "...dead."

Seungho instantly knew he had asked the wrong question. "That kind of a father... you don't need him."

I shook my head. "Aniyo. After you left, he did get a little more unstable but after a week, he became the best father he could be."

Seungho's face had 'shock' written all over it.

"Seungho... can I ask you a question?" I asked.

Seungho looked up and nodded his head. "Sure!"

"How did you become a devil?"

The atmosphere tense up all of a sudden. "Why do you want to know that?"

His eyes were cold, his smile faded. I gulped.

"I... I'm just curious." I said cautiously.

"Do you remember what I told you? That I'd take revenge on all the people who are bad like our father?" he asked.

I nodded. "I remember but... father wasn't bad. He was just temporarily unstable. You were wrong that day, saying he COMPLETELY changed."

Seungho scoffed. "What difference does that make? You should never go unstable when it's such a crucial time for your children."

I sighed. It was no use trying to get through him.

"Anyways, what does that have to do with you becoming devil?"

Seungho looked away into the horizon. "I left home and I got myself an apartment that day. I had been saving money ever since I was little. Truthfully, I actually passed away before I finished school. When I did, two people (ghosts/spirits) came up to me and I told them I wanted to take revenge on people like our father. They asked if I feel more suitable as an angel or more suitable as a devil and because I always felt hatred and anger, devil was more for me."

I playfully hit him on the shoulder. "Bro... you aren't as bad as you say you are..."

Seungho looked at me. "Anyways, I came here to tell you not to ever come near us again. You or you little sisters."

I eyed him suspiciously. "Wae?"

"We're devils, we kill and destroy. I don't want to see you guys hurt- especially you. You are the only family I have left."

"But because we're family, you don't ever want to see me?"

"Aniyo. Because we're family, I don't ever want to see you hurt."

I smiled. "Arraseo. I'll tell my sisters- but we have to see each other sometimes. I don't ever want you to disappear from my life like you did- years ago."

Seungho nodded in agreement. "Arraseo. I'll tell our compromise to my brothers. We'll set up days where angels and devils will take breaks from our duties. I think it's pretty reasonable."

Seungho and I hugged one last time before departure.

"I'm really happy to have seen you again." I whispered into his ear.

"I'm really happy to have seen you again too." he replied.

Then, we left... just to see each other again when we met up with our brothers/sisters.

Awkward...