Thirtynine

Completely happy fangirl

 

 

 

We took it easy in the mounatins and didn't climb anything, instead we watched the view and drank som coffea, saving some energy till later for Sohee.

It feels a tiny bit weird that you'll meet my parents,” Yonghwa said as the day went towards dawn. We were sitting on a bench with miles of breathtaking view infront of us.

Don't think of it that way, “ I said, “I mean it will be fun for both of us, and you'll meet your family. You want that right?”

He sighted and nodded slightly.

You don't meet them that often when you work all the time,” he half mumbled.

No exactly that what I mean, you gotta take your chances. Why didn't you tell me Busan was your hometown?”

He smiled slightly.

I though a crazy fangirl like you already knew those stuff,” he teased.

Ya!” I said. “I didn't even know who you were from the beginning!”

I though you girls serch on the internet and stuff,” he said.

Well, that was true, at least I did. Why hadn't I searched his name?

Then I realised why.

But you told me before not to google your name due to some things that had happened in the past. So I didn't.”

Yonghwa looked like ha had forgotten that aswell, he said “Oh” and then he started picking on his jeans uncomfortable. We didn't talk about it more and soon it was time for dinner.

 

Yonghwas family lived in a small traditional house with a small crammed yard and as soon as we entered with the car (we had to leave the van parked outside) Yonghwas mother came bursting out of the house and almost didn't let Yonghwa get out of the car before she started hugging him.

My beautiful hard working son what I've missed you!” she said and hugge him with her small arms. She was a really short little ahjumma like I always imagined ahjummas to be.

Ma, it's good to be home,” Yonghwa said and kissed his mother. She realesed him and as she gave him an ecouraging look she patted his a few times.

She looked at me.

Who is this lovely lade?” she asked.

Now I realised how akward it was that I actually was meeting his mother-

This is Hanbyul,” Yonghwa said. He swallowed. “She's kind of my girlfriend.”

I got out and bowed.

I'm pleased to meet you umma,” I said.

Yes, that's good,” she said. “Please feel at home, Hanbyul. My name is Gohae. But keep calling me Umma, please.”

Yes, Umma.”

She turned to Yonghwa. “Go in and talk with your father. Me and Hanbyul will go and finish the cooking.”

Yonghwa gave me a look and I just nodded that it was ok and then he walked into the house.

I praised his mother for their yard not only by politness but also because it was a really nice garden, big trees and mossovergrown stones and beautiful pottery from the chôson dynasty and flowers and flowerpotts and even a small funtain wich streamed beautifully; all that was crammed into the garden and you would never suspect from outside that it existed a oasis like this here in the middle of the city.

Thank you, my dear,” she answered gracefully.

When we got into the kitchen I almost fell over when something big hit me.

Unnie!” Sohee shouted and hugged me like I imagined an octopus would do, try to wrap it arms and legs around in the most impossible way.

The girl looked as happy as energetic as she had done this morning, she kind of reminded me of a squirrel.

She looked overjoyed when she looked up on my face.

Lea come meet my friend!” she shouted. A little girl who looked darn tired came out from a door.

Sohee picked her up and carried her over to me.

When she saw my hair her little jaw just dropped.

Wow,” she said and toutched my hair.

Right, it's beautiful?” Sohee said. Then she turned to me. “Can we braid it? Please please please?”

It felt like they were two small girls instead of one small and one adult.

No she's gonna cook with me!” Gohea saved me with.

But ma!” Sohee shouted.

No buts kids stays out of the kitchen. Shus shus!”

She chased her daughter out of the small kitchen, then she sighted heavily.

We're going to need a man working at a daycare or something to stand her,” she said tiredly and started washing the rice.

 

I liked cooking and wasn't that bad at it but compared to Yonghwa I was a beginner and compared to his mother I was nothing. Now I saw were he had gotten his cookingskills from.

When the kids was small Sohee was the one playing with papa while Yonghwa was the one helping me to coach,” she said and smiled so her eyes became dashes.

So how do you know my Yonghwa?”

I met him at work.”

Oh, are you a star to?”

I did my best not to laugh.

No, no. I'm just a makeup-artist,” I said.

That's not something to say 'just' about that.” She smiled sweetely. “I think that is just what Yonghwa would need,” she said then.

 

After an hour we were done cooking and carried out the bowls of delicious food. It was kimchi stew and bimbimbap and samgyulsup and everything looked so ing good.

At the table Yonghwa and his father was sitting and talking in low voices.

They shared the samelooking eyes and nose. Yonghwa smiled a crocked, calm smile when he saw me and I felt how I got warm on the inside.

I greeted his father who also seemed to be on the calm side. I wondered were Sohee had gotten all her energy from.

Food!” she screamed as she seated herself on the floor and immediately started placing food on her plate.

Wait intill everyone has gotten theirselves seated!” Gohea said and hitted her daughter over the fingers.

But ma!”

No buts! Now you be nice!”

She actually got quiet then even though she didn't look happy about it.

We were eight people, me and Yonghwa, his parents, sister, aunt and her two children.

It was nice eating with a family, I didn't have the chance to do that that often. The father didn't talk that much, he seemed to have the same calm pace as Yonghwa when they just silently watched the others talk.

After the dinner the adults went to drint on the porch while the childre, me and Sohee played games in the dining room.

Should we spy on the adults?” Sohee suggested after loosing gor the fourtenth time.

We should leave the adults on their own,” I said rather happy that Yonghwa could have some alonetime with his parents.

But I think not,” Sohee said to the kids joy and sneaked out to the porch door. After a while I went after them.

I imagined the adults caught us and felt my face burn.

Sh, they're talking!” Sohee whispered and the childrens eyes grew.

She seems like a nice girl,” the father said.

She really is,” I could hear Yonghwas voice say.

Make sure she's not gunna hurt you. Like Yuna did.”

Yuna? I had never heard that name before.

Yonghwa sighted. “I won't,” he said.

 

One hour later Yonghwa said goodbye to hi family, his sister and mother cried, then he got into the car and drove of.

I was darn tired and it rand in my ears cause Sohee had been so loud.

I didn't ask about Yuna. I decided he could have a past aswell and that he could tell me himself when he was ready for it.

It turned out to be only minutes after I though that thought.

I spoke with my father this evening,” he said, breaking the silence. “And... I think I have to tell you something.”

I turned a little towards him to show that I listened.

He sighted. “Hen I was young I had a girlfriend and...” He trailed of. “She... I... I hurted her in a way I really regret. She also hurted me in a way I really have a hard time to forgive, but mostly I think of how I hurted her. I didn't want to go into detail what happened but... I'm a bit scared of dedication.” He gave me a quick look. “I really don't want to hurt you aswell.”

I seated myself back again.

I think we take it easy,” I mumbled. “We both seem to have had pretty troublesome relationships before so... We don't stress anything.”

It got silent between us.

Yea,” he finally said. “I'll tell you the rest later but now you know... If you think I'm weird...”
I grinned at him. “You're my weirdo,” I said and gave him a ligtly peck on his cheek.

 

We watched the stars in a pair of plastic chairs with a little bonfire in front of us and he played lightly on his guitar and the tunes echoed true the night and the though Now, I'm completely happy, Jongyun crossed my mind as I leaned back and closed my eyes.