Eighteen

Completely happy fangirl

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun looked kind of baffled when Yonghwa said he was going to take me to the hospital.

 

“Aniya, I should do it,” Jonghyun tried but the other one refused.

 

“You have schedule,” he said. “I have free time, I'll do it.”

 

It took a while at the hospital before I met a doctor. I called Dongmin to tell him what had happened and that he didn't need to fetch me cause I was with Hee Yong and she was going to bring me home. It was easier to say I was with a girl than a boy. Yonghwa stared a little but didn't question it.

 

It wasn't broken but it was sprained. The doctor changed the bandage and I got a pair of crutches before I could head home once again.

 

In the car Yongwha suddely asked “Do you like Jonghyun?”

 

Once again he caught me completely off guard with the question and it took me a while to answer.

 

“I... I've already answered that,” I said.

 

“Then you said he wasn't into you. You didn't say what you thought.”

 

I felt my heart thump a little harder as I prepared myself to be honest.

 

“I don't want to like an other one that doesn't like me,” I said feeling how darkness came over me, “I've done that so many times. It's just wasting your time.”

 

“Don't deny feelings, Hanbyul. That's the only part left of us that's human,” Yonghwa said as he turned out on the highway. “So, answer. Do you like him?”

 

“I like guys who like me,” I said, determined. “So no.”

 

“So if he liked you would you like him?”

 

I was silent for a while as the streetlamps flashed by the car window hitting my thrashed pants.

 

“Yes,” I said quietly. “Yes. Then I would like him.”

 

This time Yonghwa was silent for a while. Then he sighted.

“Do you ever get that people can be a bit double-sided?” he asked.

 

“Double-sided?”

 

“I mean like, they can say one thing and mean an other. Or do things for a person to show what they feel instead of saying. That never got to your mind?”

 

“I like people who are honest.”

 

“But Hanbyul-ah, there's hard to be honest to your feelings these days,” he said and turned with the car again, gazing out in the dark so he didn't hit anything, “So hard sometimes you just oppress the feelings until you can't feel them anymore.”

 

I ripped my nails listening to him, feeling uncomfortably hit by the things he said.

 

“If you like Jonghyun,” Yonghwa said sounding tired. “Then Jonghyun will like you.”

 

I looked up at him and he actually looked back at me, his dark brown eyes looking sharper than ever.

 

“I promise you that,” he said.

 

 

I got home on my crutches after managing the elevator by myself. I hadn't needed to explain to Yonghwa why he couldn't lead me to the door, he seemed to have got the whole picture already.

 

When I got in Dongmin greeted me immediately.

 

“My poor baby, getting hurt by working so hard,” he said surprising me with suddenly being so nice. He helped me to the sofa and told me he had bought me ice-cream and on top of that chocolate sauce.

 

“I'll bring,” he said and kissed my cheek.

 

We ate a lot of ice-cream (because I hadn't had dinner) and watched my favorite movie. Dongmin was really nice the whole evening, reminding me of why I loved him, but at the same time I though it was sad that this wasn't the reality but this was occasions and that I actually had to remind myself of our love.

 

My though drifted away to Jonghyun. And what Yonghwa had said.

 

“If you like him, he will like you,” Yonghwa said in my slightly distorted memory. I got warm as I remembered the last words.“I promise you that.”