Thirtytwo

Completely happy fangirl

 

 

 

The days that would come I would every single day think Tomorrow, I will move and then tomorrow became today and the next day became the tomorrow.

It was just too cozy at Yonghwa’s place. I just loved his sister’s pink room and when he cooked the most amazing dinner one after another I just couldn’t make myself look for a new place.

I was surprised how well everything had turned out. My life had been completely turned upside down and still it was calmer and felt far better than it had done before. I couldn’t remember my life ever was as quiet and peaceful when I lived with Dongmin as of right now.

So days became weeks. I often spent the weekend evenings curling up on the sofa, watching a movie either with our without Yonghwa. He had the best taste in movies, the “You choose I don’t care” taste and I think we watched ‘The Hobbit’ at least twelve times before he quietly suggested that we maybe should consider watching something else.

The evenings he had concerts or were away on tours I also watched movies (read: The Hobbit) but then I also called my friends, Bongcha and Byuntae, with Yonghwa’s “call anywhere in the world for free” home phone.

So it was one of these calls Byuntae suggested that I would start dating.

“Date who?” I asked as I ate a handful of cheeseballs, small yellow fragments fell all over my t-shirt and pants and fell all over the sofa.

“You are in the land of gorgeous people, how can you not find any man to date?” she said immediately while her two year old daughter, Kimberly, made happily noises in the background.

I couldn’t answer because I put too much cheeseballs in my mouth at once and all she could hear was me chewing for fifteen seconds before she spoke again.

“I know why,” she said irritated, she then cleared “I demand you to go on a blind date” she said.

“I just laughed.

“You can’t demand that” I said and shuffled another hand of cheeseballs into my mouth.

“Do you remember that time at the zoo when you forced me to speak to that who were dressed as a zombie?”

“The one you later married” I asked jokingly as I rewinded and watched Fili and Kili again saying “Fili, and Kili, at your service” outside Bilbo’s house for the fifth time.

“Then you promised me that you would once also do something that I demanded. So, therefore I demand you to go on a blind date”

“Oh, come on, you married the guy, wouldn’t that like take away that promise?” I asked.

“No!” Byuntae shouted. “I demand you to go on a blind date. Or speed dating, see? Aren’t I kind, I even let you choose?”

“But sis I don’t wanna,” I whined “It’s going to be embarrassing”

“Without embarrassment life never change” Byuntae said “stop complaining like a two year old, I have enough with that. Trust me, I got a good feeling about this, okay?”

 

Two days later I had signed up for a speed dating evening of a restaurant. I would have preferred a set up blind date but to do that you needed friends that could set you up and I didn’t even had that so speed dating became my only option.

When the next Friday night came I hated Byuntae for doing this me. I decided to go there and put modest clothes and a modest amount of make up on.

In the door I realized Yonghwa would come home from four days in Japan today. He would for sure expect me for dinner. I wrote a note that I was out with a friend eating because I would never admit to him the truth.

Half an hour later I hated Byuntae even more. I wanted to sink through the floor as I reported myself in the reception and then stood in the dining hall where they had put away all the tables and instead put maybe forty chairs in the room in pairs of two, facing each other. As many people as chairs were in the room, everyone looking shyly down at the ground.

I wasn’t an exception, I was really awkward around most type of people.

A little bigger guy but with much more confidence than the rest of them stepped out in the room.

“So, everyone grab a scribble note and a pen and then seat yourselves, guys this direction and girls this. You will have three minutes to get to know your partner before the gentlemen move on chair to the left and the ladies stays in the same chair. In half an hour you will have a short break. Don’t be nervous! We’re all in the same boat!”

Some people laughed at the not funny joke and then we all seated ourselves, my heart was throbbing hard and I really just wanted to get out of here.

The first guy was really slim. He looked, if possible, even more nervous than me.

“You can start now!” the leader of the speed dating said.

“Hi” I tried.

“Hi” the guy with the nametag Junwon said.

“This is the first time I do something like this” I said.

“Me too” he said.

“What do you do for a living?” I asked.

“I’m a computer engineer” he said.

The rest of the two minutes and thirtysix seconds we sat in silence.

He could’ve asked what I was doing for a living, I thought as the guy got up and without meeting my stare said goodbye.

The next one talked constantly but did neither meet my eyes, he just stared at my body as he was talking to it instead of me, so I decided not to listen.

The third was really nice and I wrote some good words about him even though I didn’t feel any interest and, I realized, had forgotten his name the second he stood up and walked away.

Then it just got worse. More than half of the guys just talked about that I was beautiful and that we really, really, really should meet again without letting me speak nor asked anything about me, instead if I worked out or was a natural blonde or other unimportant questions. For every guy that walked away I just felt cheaper and got quieter.

Worst of all was a heavy guy at the end of the speed dating session. I didn’t mind that but I did mind the triumphing scornful stare he gave me as he sat down.

“Is it fun being praised because you’re shallow?” he asked instantly.

I just stared at him in misbelief.

“Because that’s why you’re here, right? To be admired by us?”

“I came here to meet ordinary, nice people. But it seems hard, I realized” I said through gritted teeth.

Oh, don’t you give me that crap,” the chubby one said, “You’re a shallow, stupid woman that think people should do everything for you. Admire your intellect? Yeah, puh, sure. I guess you’re like a stylist or something as well”

“Why would that aflect my intelligence” I said angrily.

“Come on, you’re here because all your relationships just last for like two weeks and it is always their fault”

I hated this. I hated being judged this way because of my appearance. That I was too pretty to have any troubles with guys, that I was to pretty to have bad self-esteem.

“I’m not going to be sorry because I don’t look like you want me to look. You’re just judge mental and rude as ” I said bitterly.     

“Well, I don’t care. Why don’t you take your ty little and find yourself a fine rich man who will die soon and leave us people who want serious relationships alone”

I was getting so mad now that I was close to start yelling at the man but a voice behind me interrupted.

“You take that back you big mouthed piece of ”

I almost jumped a meter as the voice spoke right behind me. My heart started beating really fast when I saw who it was.

“Who are you?” The chubby guy asked now with a little less confidence. Yonghwa’s hand hugged my shoulder as he stared hateful down at the man. I had never seen Yonghwa angry before but he really looked pissed, like a dog that was going to attack.

“This woman is one of the most humble, down to earth person I’ve ever met” he snarled “She does never use her appearance to gain credit and she never judge anyone because of their appearance either. You’re lucky to even breathe in the same air as her!”

The guy was completely shocked. Not only the guy, the whole room had turned to stare. But the most shocked, was me.

“This girl has gone through so much crap and she’s definitely doesn’t deserve yours as well. This date is over!”

He grabbed my arm and easily dragged me away, all the notes I’ve made about the guys fell on the floor with the pen.

My heart beat fast in my ears as he dragged me out of the restaurant down the road in the hot spring evening.

“Can we stop?” I asked him confused, my bag halfheartedly swung over my shoulder.

“No, I’m not done with you” he hissed.

“Are you angry at me?”

“Yes”

I wanted to cry, I was so confused.

“Whatever I’ve done I’m sorry…” I blurted when he suddenly stopped and turned around.

He grabbed my upper arms tightly with his strong guitar fingers and held me decimeter from him, a little too close. He had a faint smell of perfume and his chest was heaving up and down, he really looked upset.

“I’m angry at you because you put yourself through like this” he said “I’m angry because you don’t understand how much you are really worth”

I just stared at him not knowing what to say.

He looked a little frightened “Dare me,” he said.

I blinked three times.

“You don’t need to love me or be interested in me” he said out of breath, “But date me. And I show you how you really should be treated”

My heart beat as a maniac as I said yes.

We were both equally surprised by my answer. We stared at each other in the light from a yellow sign board.

“Yes, I’ll date you,” I said again.

 


Annyong! Now I've started writing again so I'll try to update more often! SARANGHAE!