chapter 9

Scorpio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The crowd erupted with cheers and applause as the twelve victorious representatives of Gyeonggi Science High School walked up to the stage of the amphitheater. To the eyes of an ordinary person, it would look a little absurd that the students were regarded as heroes just because of winning some district competition; but to the population of the institution who thrives on pride and recognition, getting a goold in the said event is highly remarkable and those who have brought it to the school are worthy of such high attention.

 

The team stood in front of the hundred others before them – proud and content… except for two.

 

“Aish, seriously! This is all your fault,” muttered Krystal as she hesitantly bowed to the crowd when the whole group did. She was referring to Kris, who was standing at the end of the line next to her.

 

Kris rolled his eyes as soon as he heard the queenka’s remark. He then straightened himself up rather immediately after the bow and blew a definitely annoyed raspberry. He surely was getting up with the lady’s constant whining and bickers.

 

“YOU were childish then. You’re being childish now. When will you learn to grow up even a bit?” Kris whispered in gritted teeth, as if spitting poison. Krystal Jung is really starting to get into his nerves.

 

The lady’s eyes widened in disbelief. She obviously couldn’t believe she was told childish – something she never thought to apply to herself (although it does). She then raised her arm to hit Kris but she was stopped by the reverberating sound of her name as it echoed throughout the whole amphitheater.

 

“KRYSTAL JUNG! MS. KRYSTAL JUNG! JUNG SOOJUNG-SSI!” The principal roared on the microphone, causing the crowd to chuckle.

 

Baffled and distracted, Krystal stepped forward to receive a medal. Her face flushed red, and insides shaking in complete annoyance. She is the school queenka. She is a model student. It was the first time she lost focus in front of the whole crowd.

 

“Stupid giant,” she cursed under her breath as the name of Kris was called.

 

There was a round of applause and cheers as the teachers giving the award stepped off the stage to give the floor to the students. Photos were taken at the sound of camera shutters clicking. After a few seconds, they were instructed to go back to their seats.

 

As they descended the stairs, Krystal noticed Kris took his medal off.

 

***

“Hey,” Amber hopped onto the chair in front of her cousin. She was beaming, as usual, as she propped herself forward.

 

However, Krystal wasn’t as enthusiastic. They were in the school cafeteria and instead of eating her chicken pesto, she was just twisting the pasta strands with her fork. It was obvious that she was doing it mindlessly. “Hey,” she replied back though.

 

A little worried, the older girl waved her hands to grab her cousin’s attention. Typically, that would annoy the hell out of Krystal; but that day seemed different as the younger one just leaned back onto her chair and puffed an exasperated sigh.

 

“You know, you’re scaring me,” Amber surrendered as she took her cousin’s lunch for herself. “You seem like you won’t eat this so I will,” she said as she took the plate. But like the first attempt, it failed to irk the other. With that, Amber grew worried.

 

Once again, Krystal sighed. Her sad gaze shifted from nothing to her cousin’s bothered stare. “Am I childish?” She asked all of a sudden.

 

Amber’s face fell. “You’r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter