chapter 44

Scorpio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a rather restless Sunday for Soojung. After sleeping late convincing herself that there was nothing she should worry about, she woke up early – without plans to do so – and her mind automatically reeled to the scene she witnessed the past night. She didn’t cry though. She’s way too cool for tears now, but it disturbs her – so much.

 

 

She knew she needs distraction; but more than that, she needs another reassurance. That’s why even though half of her was telling her ‘no’, she dialed her boyfriend’s phone number.

 

 

“Yoboseyo,” Kevin answered sluggishly. Apparently, the call woke him up.

 

Soojung tried to observe her emotions. “Hey,” she muttered as she mustered the courage – something she wondered why she had to feel. “Are you doing anything today?”

 

The man from the other line yawned. “I’m thinking of sleeping all day since I got home a bit late last night,” he said with slurred words.

 

Gulping in uncertainty if she really should mention it, the girl carefully formed her words. “Where were you last night? She asked.

 

“I was with the boys, remember?” Kevin replied, suddenly weirded out that his girlfriend forgot. “Anyway, why did you ask?”

 

Soojung cleared . Will he really never mention anything about his encounters with that Gaeul girl to her? Was he really trying to hide things from her? From the looks of it, their relationship doesn’t look like something unimportant to not bring up. Tears were threatening to fall but the queenka immediately blinked it away.

 

“Nothing,” she answered. “I was just thinking if you want to come to the mall with me and go watch –“

 

“Alright,” Kevin agreed immediately. “I’ll fetch you in an hour.”

 

Soojung knew she should feel elated with the reply. However, a huge part of her just couldn’t feel even a bit of it. If any, she felt nervous – like something’s going to happen and whatever it is, she wouldn’t like it.

 

 

***

 

There were two of them walking hand in hand around the mall but Soojung felt like she was with a robot. Kevin did come with her but she felt like he wasn’t there at all. Using the excuse that he didn’t get enough sleep and was suffering from a mild hangover, he kept silent the whole time they’re together and would give disinterested one-word or one-liner replies to every question.

 

Trying her hard to understand the situation and pushing away her doubts, Soojung just continued being the same person that she has always been. The date to the movies was forgotten so they just went around the department store, looking for stuff to buy. The girl had always heard that shopping is a great therapy to straighten one’s thoughts. She wanted to try it.

 

“How’s your application to Seoul University?” The girl asked to start a conversation. She looked around to look like it was just a casual inquiry.

 

Kevin shrugged, a little disinterested. “Fine,” he muttered.

 

Soojung wondered how long this set-up is going to last. It was killing her inside. Paranoia, it must be; but it hurts her seeing her boyfriend looking so bored with her.

 

Yet she couldn’t give up. This relationship’s too precious for her to let her sense of insecurities get in the way.

 

Going by the idea that food resolves everything, she led them to a fast-food chain inside the mall. It was a rather silent feat as she told her boyfriend that it’ll be her treat so she will be the one to order. Without a fight, the guy immediately plopped down on his seat, massaging the temples of his head to somehow relieve the pain.

 

As their meals were served, the two began eating their food in silence.

 

The atmosphere that hovered above them was unexplainable. It was making Soojung feel stuffed. She was certain Kevin feels the same too. For what reason, that’s what she couldn’t point out.

 

"There will be a conference in Jeju Island for students tomorrow,” she informed him, desperate to start a conversation that would last even just a few minutes.

 

But sadly, he didn’t even sure as it was drowned by one painfully familiar shriek.

 

“OPPA!”

 

Instantly, the couple’s heads turned to the entrance of the restaurant. While Soojung was immediately annoyed, Kevin’s face lit up at the sight of the newcomer – something which didn’t go unnoticed by his date.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter