chapter 29

Scorpio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kevin paced back and forth the road beside his car as he blew air on his hand for warmth. In his thoughts, he let all ideas run through his mind for the nth time since last night. He had it all planned even before he asked Soojung for a date - all the places he wanted to bring her to, all the types of food they have to try together, all the stories he could share to avoid even just a few seconds of awkwardness. He knew it was a little ridiculous to be that prepared, but he can’t help it.

 

In the end, he decided on one destination, one place he knew Soojung would enjoy.

 

This has to be perfect, he told himself.

 

But the fear of screwing things up was still there. Kevin his lips nervously as his thoughts wandered off to the negative possibilities. He was afraid Soojung would think he’s advancing too fast. The last thing he wanted to happen is to come off like he’s in a rush. He doesn’t want to go out of bounds. He doesn’t want to lose Soojung that fast.

 

He felt his lips chill a little. Winter has undoubtedly kicked in and Kevin couldn’t decide whether it’s a good thing or not. To fight off the creeping cold, he adjusted the scarf around his neck.

 

A lovely smile flashed across his lips as his fingers touched the cloth as the memory of yesterday suddenly came into mind. The image of Soojung wrapping that piece of soft material around his neck, the closeness of the distance of their faces, the warmth brought by the concern she obviously showed – it was all making his heart flutter.

 

He looked at his watch and noticed that it’s already 15 minutes past 10AM. The smile in his lips suddenly turned into a slight frown as he fished out his phone to call Soojung – only to realize that he doesn’t have her number. Frustrated, he put the gadget back on his pocket as he entertained paranoia telling him that she stood him up.

 

Not again, he told himself bitterly.

 

But wanting to forget the past and do things differently this time, Kevin decided to just head to the front door of the Jung’s houses and knock. But even before he could take a step forward, he saw the door burst open, revealing the girl he was waiting for. She was wearing a green winter jacket that stops on her hips and a black turtleneck underneath. It is paired with black denim shorts layered on a pair of colored leggings, matching the heeled Skechers sneakers in black. In her face, the most honest smile he had ever seen from her.

 

“Soojung-ah,” he muttered her name in the sweetest manner.

 

***

 

Butterflies were flying inside her stomach as she took her steps to the man waiting for her. Soojung felt her breathing hitched as she noticed the kind of stare Kevin was giving her. It wasn’t malicious or annoying or anything to make her feel uncomfortable. If any, it was like he was relieved.

 

“Soojung-ah,” she heard him say and her heart began to flutter more.  

 

She had to walk slowly to not lose her balance due to her shaking knees. Somehow, it made her feel insecure to look at Kevin. A forest green peacoat over a white wool long-sleeves top, paired with a pair of denims to emphasize his fairly long legs, and black high cut shoes; how would it feel to have someone who looks like a model who just came out of a magazine to walk alongside her?

 

The thought made her excited. How lucky is she to be asked for this date?

 

“Hey,” she cooed as she stopped about two feet away from him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter