chapter 8

Scorpio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The competition had begun and Gyeonggi Science High School was on second place, following the current first placer, Gyeonggi Suwon International School. For mere spectators, it was really a stiff clash between the two classes which had been rivals since God-knows-when. Nobody fancies the thought of losing to the other so the atmosphere of the race was really tensed. The atmosphere got more heated when the two teams met on the sixth stop where the representatives of the international school was obviously having a hard time.

 

"Which constellation consists of 15 stars including Antares? It is located near Libra and Saguittarius, and is basically one of the most striking star formations in the galaxy."

 

The question - written on a small cue card - was given to Kevin as soon as they arrived. There's also a piece of paper where they could jot down their answer. Instantly, he dragged his partner closer and together, they pondered on the answer to the astronomy question. Well, it wasn't supposed to be difficult considering that their school is more focused on science; but it's not actually what helped them answer it easily.

 

"Soojung actually emphasized this," Hyemi muttered as she looked at the cue card looking rather relaxed. She turned to the kingka with an air of pride knowing that they're a few seconds away from moving on to the next stop.

 

Kevin couldn't help but smirk; and with a nod, he took the cap off his pen and wrote the answer down. Before submitting it to the facilitator, he turned his back to his team, his gaze searching for one particular pair of eyes. 

 

And then their gazes met. 

 

Soojung automatically raised an eyebrow at the sight of her co-leader's smirk. She could have asked what the matter is, but she stopped immediately when Kevin raised his index and middle fingers like a salute, the small piece of paper pinned between. Then, he mouthed something which the queenka thought was 'thank you'.

 

Hyemi chortled silently at the scene and grabbed the paper from Kevin. She submitted the paper to the facilitator with a smile on her face. It took them only a few seconds to answer the question which the first team was having a hard time on. Why shouldn't she be proud? 

 

The facilitator read the answer and gave them a nod, much to GSIS' surprise and despair. Booming with cheers and unwavering excitement, the representatives of Gyeonggi Science High School marched their way off to the seventh and last stop as the competition's leading group. 

 

***

 

"One more and you'll win. Good luck," the facilitator on the last stop said as he handed the task to Jaehyun, a classmate of Kevin. The team was already one step away from winning. Everybody was getting more excited by the moment. 

 

Jaehyun opened the card and read it aloud, "By the lake, a fortune hung. Use yourselves to find the one."

 

Not waiting for further instructions, Kevin and Soojung, and the rest of the team, hurried to the nearby lake - all of them looking for a possible treasure. Suddenly, one pointed on the tall tree which branches hung above the wooden bridge. There were silver bags tied on the end of several branches. 

 

"How do we know which the treasure is?" Haeri inquired. 

 

Led by Kevin, all 12 of them walked to the bridge and stared up. As they were trying to figure out which to get, Soojung gasped and exclaimed, "IT'S THE GOLD ONE!"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter