Heartache

Fate works

*Haemin’s POV*

Myeolchi oppa’s ringing phone interrupted our date and he gave me a sheepish grin as he took it out to answer it. He didn’t speak apart from greeting the person on the other line but his expression turned grim. His lips were pressed together and a frown appeared on his face.

“I’ll be right over,”was all he said before hanging up.

As he put the phone down, he hurriedly release the hand brake and reversing the car.

“Leeteuk hyung called to say Donghae fainted. I’m going to go see him,”he glanced at me.

“What happened to him?”I asked, in shock.

“I’m not too sure of the details as well. The members are rushing over and we’ll know when we get there,”he replied.

“I’ll call Soobin,”I quickly searched my bag for my phone.

“No, don’t….,”his voice trailed off as he stopped at the red light.

“Why not?”I raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t want him waking up to see her there. It’ll make him feel worse...The feeling of looking at someone you like and knowing you can’t have them…that feeling can kill someone,”Myeolchi oppa’s tone was all cold.

I stayed quiet throughout the drive to the hospital and just as I was about to alight, Myeolchi oppa grabbed my hand and passed me the key to the car.

“I’ll go in first and text you the number of the ward he’s at. Come and look for me later…,”was all he said and got out.

Sighing, I watched as he ran towards the lobby of the hospital. So, this is how it’s like dating a celebrity, huh? We can’t even enter a hospital together…Even at a time where he’s worried for his friend, he still thought of hiding me from the public. Was dating really so hard for a celebrity? Soon, I received a message from him and quickly made my way towards Donghae’s ward. As his ward was a private ward, all the members were allowed to go in but there was a girl right outside and my jaw dropped when I saw her.

“Soobin?”I called out.

She looked up and stood up straight as I walked over.

“What are you doing here? How did you know Donghae fainted?”I asked.

“I was the one who brought him here and called Leeteuk…,”she answered.

“What? So, you saw Donghae faint? What happened?”I was curious.

“Well, I bumped into him at a restaurant and the fan girls there started to surround him and he fainted cause it was too suffocating,”she replied.

I was about to open my mouth again when she stopped me.

“Go in and see him first. Your Myeolchi oppa would be worried as well if you don’t hurry up,”she pushed me towards the ward.

I nodded my head and knocked on the door. Slowly, I opened the door and took a peek inside. Donghae was lying in the hospital bed with Siwon sitting next to it. Leeteuk was his bangs while the rest of the members stood, leaning against the walls. I greeted the members with a bow before going to see Donghae. Seeing him with his eyes closed and his lips so pale, it made my heart ache. Donghae, please get well soon.

“Don’t worry, he’ll be fine,”Leeteuk patted my back.

I gave him a faint smile, acknowledging his words. Instead of making my way to Myeolchi oppa, I decided to leave the room to keep Soobin company. Besides, not all the members know that we were together. When I closed the door behind me, Soobin looked up at me and I took a seat next to her.

“Are you okay?”I asked.

“I’m not the one who fainted…,”she smiled meekly.

“But it must have been a big shock to you,”I mumbled.

“Why aren’t you inside with Eunhyuk?”she asked, avoiding my question.

“No particular reason…,”I shrugged.

“Haemin, I know you care for me but your boyfriend is suffering more at the moment. That’s his best friend lying in hospital. Go comfort him,”she nudged me.

“But how? The members don’t know we’re together and I don’t think he wants them to know,”I sighed.

“Your presence would be more than enough. Go in before he starts worrying,”Soobin pushed me gently.

“Are you going to be alright alone here? Come in with me,”I urged.

She shook her head and brushed me off. I let out a sigh inwardly and made my way back into the room again. As quiet as I could, I went to stand next to Myeolchi oppa who’s eye were fixed on Donghae.

“He’ll be okay,”I patted him on the back.

Upon hearing my voice, Myeolchi oppa turned his head to look at me. At my words of encouragement, he smiled and I felt a little better than I did for making him smile. He lifted his arm to pull me closer to him and it was as if, he didn’t care whether the members were looking anymore. He just kept hugging me closer to him and resting his forehead on top of my head. In the silence, I could hear his soft breathing and I knew he was trying to relax.

“Yah, Hyukjae,”someone nudged him and the both of us looked up.

Though his hold on me loosened, it was still a firm grip. He didn’t want me to leave his side.

“Are you dating now?”Shindong asked, grinning mischievously.

Sungmin who knew about our relationship was eyeing us, wondering what Myeolchi oppa would say.

“Yeah, we are,”Myeolchi oppa gave a mild smile since he was emotionally drained from being worried about Donghae.

“Congrats! Haemin, he’s a really nice guy. Don’t play with him, alright?”Shindong gave a warning.

“Yah,”was all that came out from Myeolchi oppa’s mouth.

Even his protest was weak.

“Haemin is a nice girl too. They’re a good match,”Sungmin jumped in to rescue Myeolchi oppa.

“I know. I was just kidding. Haemin look like she could take a joke,”Shindong gave me a cheeky smile which I returned.

Myeolchi oppa could only shake his head before pulling me closer to hug me. He rested his chin on top of my head as he stared at Donghae’s sleeping form on the bed. Just like that, we spent a few hours in the ward until it was time for dinner. The members left the room one by one and Myeolchi oppa requested some time alone with Donghae.

“We’ll wait outside,”Ryeowook called out.

Just as I was about to leave, Myeolchi oppa pulled me back.

“I need you here with me…I can’t look at Donghae like that without feeling like crap,”

For about ten minutes, all he did was sit on the chair next to the bed and watched Donghae sleep. Though he looked tired himself, his grip on my hand was surprisingly firm.