Struggle

Fate works

Donghae’s POV

When I opened my eyes, the house was dark and looking at the time, it’s close to 12 mindnight and I guess Soobin must have left. I wanted to go to grab a drink, but what stopped me in my steps was that the lamp was in the iving room and I see Soobin fast asleep on the couch. She should go home or her Omma will worry. I heard a faint sound of buzzing and realized it was her phone.

‘Omma Calling’

Seeing how tirted sh must be after taking care of me, I should let her rest a while more.

“Auntie, this is Donghae.” I said softly as I walk further away from her in case I wake her up.

“Oh Donghae, where’s Soobin? Is she still with you?” She asked sounding relieved.

“Yeah she’s with me. She rook care of me today and she’s asleep now. I can send her home now if you want.” I said.

“It’s ok. I trust you to take good care of my daughter. Are you feeling better?”

“I’m fine auntie. I’ll send her home tomorrow morning.”

“Alright. Have a good rest.” She said and I hung up. I placed the phone in my room and carried her. She was deep asleep so she didn’t realize anything. I tucked her into mty bed as I went to Ryeowook’s room to sleep on his bed.

When I woke up, it was close to 10am in the morning. However, what shocked me was the smel of food. I walked to the kitchen to find Soobin cooking.

“Soobin” I said and she spun around.

“Morning. You feeling better?” She asked and I nodded.

“I think you should go home. Your Omma’s worried.” I said.

“I called her to tell her about it already. She’s ok with it. I’ll go home later.”She said and pointed for me to sit down.

At around 12pm, she had a class and before she left, she gave me my medicine and made me go to sleep, saying she’d be back by the time I wake up. I don’t want to bother her too much, but she kept brushing it off saying it was nothing as compared to what I did for her dring the time she was hospitalisied.

Even though she’s nice to me, I know it’s because I’m sick. That afternoon, I couldn’t sleep. The only thing replaying in my mind was when Soobin told me she didn’t want me to send her to school anymore. I could once again feel tears pool in my eyes. If the only way for her to talk to me nicely was because my members were not here and I was sick, I don’t mind being sick forever so she can be bty my side all the time.

End of Donghae’s POV

Soobin’s POV

When I was in school, my mind cannot help but keep thinking about Donghae to see if he would be doing ok. Even though he seem like he was getting slightly better, however he still looked pale and he coughs quite badly causing quite a strain in his voice.

“Soobin!” Haemin exclaimed as I snapped out of my daze before realizing that the whole classroom was already empt except Haemin and our group of friends.

“Oh sorry guys.” I said as I packed my tuff quickly and eft the room. Looking at my watch, there was one more class before we could go.

“Why do yu seem so distracted?” Minhyuk asked me.

“Oh it’s nothing.” I said.

“She’s worried for her boyfriend.” Haemin decided to spout rubbish.

“You’re attached?! How could you have not told us?!” Hongki exclaimed.

“Don’t listen to Haemin and her nonsense. It’s just a friend.” I said and they look at me in disbelief. When the last class finally ended, I practically ran out of school to go home to put down my things befoe going to Donghae’s place. I wonder if he was alright.

When I got home, I saw Omma left a box of ginsaeng medicine for me to bring for Donghae since she found out he was sick. I brought it over and I went to check up on Donghae. He was still asleep when I got there, but there were times he would cough badly in his sleep. When I went nearer to him, I saw tear tracks on his face. Was he in pain?

When I was sure he was alright other than the coughs, I went to make him dinner so that he can take it and eat his medicine when he wakes up. At around 7pm, I went to wake Donghae up so he can eat his medicine on time. When he opened his eyes and looked me, he kept diverting his eyes away from mine. I noticed his eyes were bloodshot.

“Are you feeling ok?” I asked as I check his temperature.

“I’m ok.” He said, his voice hoarse.

As I place a bowl of porridge in front of him, he just stirred it around, playing with it rather than wanting to eat it.

“Do you want to eat something else? I can make it for you if you don’t feel like eating porridge.” I said but he didn’t say anything but he started eating slowly. He was acting a little strange today. He seemed a little distant. He didn’t eat as much as the night before. After taking his medicine, he went to watch some television while I did the dishes.

Since I was still worried about him, I watched television together with him. After a while, I felt a weight on my shoulder and found out that Donghae fell asleep. What am I suppose to do? Should I wake him up or let him sleep? I opted with letting him sleep a while more before waking him up. He snuggled closer to me after a while a I felt him shivering slightly. However, it was not from cold. Tears spilled from his eyes as he sobbed quietly on my shoulders. What’s happening? Why ‘s he crying?

“Donghae, Donghae.” I called him to wake up and he did. When he saw me, his eyes widened and wiped his tears.

“Are you ok?” I asked him.

“I’m ok. It’s late. Why don’t you go back? Your mum must be worried.” He said even though I’m worried about him, it seems like he doesn’t want me here, so I decided to go home.

“If you’re not feeling well or need anything just call me ok?” I said and he nodded. His eyes filed with what I think is misery and pain.

“Donghae, are you sure you’re ok?” I asked and he nodded again. I decided I’m not going to get anything out of him tonight, so I left.

However, that night I feel like something was not right. I felt like something had gone wrong. I looked at the clock and it was close to 2am, however, my unnerving feeling kept me awake. I can’t go to sleep. I wanted to check on Donghae, but I was afraid that I would disturb him at this ungodly hour. I was about to debate to not call him when my phone rang and it was from Donghae.

I told him to call me if he needs anything. Does he need something? When I answered the phone, I didn’t hear anything other than deep breathing and constant coughing which was really bad.

“Donghae?” I said but there was no response. The next thing I heard was the phone cluttering onto the floor and it went silent. What happened? Don’t tell me…. I have to go to his place now. I changed into something more public wise and took a taxi to his place. Haemin gave me his house code which she got from Leeteuk when he told her to ask me to take care of Donghae.

When I opened the door, the lights in the living room was turned off only the lights in Donghae’s room were . When I got into his room, the first thing that caught my attention was his computer. His screen saver were pictures of me. The times when we were out together with Haemin and Eunhyuk and sometimes it’s just us. There were some during my hospital stay too. They were all so clearlty taken and I had never notice it.

When I turned to Donghae, I realized that he was breathing really heavily and he was breaking out into cold sweat. HE was slightly groaning in pain and moving a lot. I went over to him and shook him awake and he jolted up immediately.

“What…” He ooked at me and look at his clock.

“Why are you here?” He asked me.

“You called me and the things that happened here doesn’t seem right so I came to see if you were ok.” He looked at me with a slight happiness in his eyes, but was covered up quickly. He acted like he was giving me the cold shoulder.

“I’m ok. Why don’t you just go?” The way he said it made me really angry. I promised to take care of him and he treat me like some annoying pest who sticks around him eyes day.

“Ya, Lee Donghae.” I said and he looked at me.

“What are you up to?” I asked him, trying to sound calm.

“I’m asking you to go home.” He sound irritated.

“Lee Donghae, Are you giving me the cold shoulders? What did I do? I’m just taking care of you like what your leader wants me to.” I surpressed my ngry but instead, I felt tears pooling in my eyes.

“I’m not. I’m just tired.” He said even though he look normal.

“I just want to help you get better. I don’t want to see my friend suffering. Why do you make it so hard for me?” I said ad broke down. I don’t know what was wrong with me, but I cried. I cried because he’s not talking to me and he acts like I don’t exist.

The next thing I know, I felt arms around me. Even though there were no words exchanged, I could tell he was hurt by me as well. I don’t know why the both of us just hurt each other even though we didn’t do anything to each other deliberately. The feeling of his arms around me felt right, but I cannot hold onto it.

“I’m sorry. I just don’t want to burden you with how I feel for you. With you caring for me, I’m afraid I might say something to make you uncomfortable.” He said and I could tell her was crying.

“Donghae.” I turned and looked at him. I understand why does s worry so much for him. He was crying like a little boy who lost his favourite toy. All he does is keep everything to himself, not wanting to trouble anyone but himself.

“I’m sorry. But after today you don’t have to burden yourself with me anymore. The boys are coming back. I know you’re worried for me because no one’s here to take care of me. I’ll ask the boys to not burden you with me anymore.” He said.

“Donghae” I said but he just silently ushered me out of the house downstairs and flagged me a taxi. I looked at him bewildered. I don’t know what to say to him. My mind was in a blank. His face bore no expression while he caught me a cab.

“Goodbye, Soobin.” He said before closing the taxi door and the driver drove off with the directions that Donghae gave him. Why did those 2 words sound like Goodbye forever? I turned and looked at him. He was looking while the taxi was going further and further away. Even though I didn’t accept his feelings, we still can be friends right? I pulled out my phone and texted him.

‘We’re still friends, Right? – Soobin’ there was no reply from him.

End of Soobin’s POV