The Cheeky Anchovy

Fate works

*Haemin’s POV*

“Silly girl, you’re the one that I like,”

I was still trying to catch my breath, and my mind is spinning, trying to grasp the situation.

“What?”I blurt out before I could stop myself.

“Ever since the first day that I met you, in fact, I’ve seen you at all our Super Shows, I’ve liked you, Haemin,”Myeolchi oppa grinned.

“You’ve seen me at all the concerts?!”I exclaimed.

He nodded his head.

“Wait, you…like me?”I asked, to be sure.

“Yes,”he nodded his head.

“Wasn’t there another girl you like? Didn’t you like Soobin or something? Are you a player? But you said I was your best female FRIEND,”I frowned.

“No, Haemin. There was never another girl. It has always been you but I couldn’t tell you during that date. You’ll freak out since you liked Donghae so much. And I was a coward for not admitting it yesterday,”he explained.

“Then, what about you smiling at your phone after our first gym session? You seemed so happy texting someone else,”I asked.

“I was talking to Junsu about you,”he admitted.

“Then, what’s with your weird hug the other day?”I asked.

“I really missed you and I wanted to see you but I chickened out after hugging you. I thought the way you were so restricted with your actions when you’re with me was because you didn’t like me,”he answered.

“I was just shy,”I said softly.

“Ryeowook told me. So, do you now believe that I like you?”he chuckled.

I looked up to find Myeolchi oppa staring right back at me.

“I guess,”I felt heat creep up my cheeks.

“So, Kim Haemin, will you be my girlfriend?”he asked, with a huge grin.

“What?”

Super Junior’s Eunhyuk, also known as, Lee Hyukjae…is asking me to be his girlfriend?

“But you have tons of girls to choose from…why are you choosing me? They’re prettier,”I blinked a couple of times.

“But I don’t like them. I like YOU,”he replied.

“Wait, just let me have a couple of minutes to myself,”I closed my eyes tight.

Sure, I like Myeolchi oppa as well. But if I accept him, he’ll be my first ever boyfriend. This is going to be weird. I had no experience when it came to guys and it’s not like he could spend a lot of time with me. I wouldn’t be able to experience a normal relationship. I’m going to be missing out on a lot if I married him!!!! But I couldn’t possibly let him go!! Slowly, I opened my eyes. Myeolchi oppa was still looking at me with a gentle smile. What am I going to do?

“You could say yes and get together with me?”

“Omo, did I say that out loud?”I asked.

“Yes, you did. Do you need more time?”he asked.

“Maybe? I don’t know,”I played with the hem of my pullover.

“What’s the reason for your hesitation?”he asked.

“Well, you see, if I accept you, you’re going to be my first boyfriend. And I’m not exactly sure how a relationship works since I’ve never been in one. With you being an idol, I wouldn’t be able to know how an actual relationship goes about cause I’m pretty sure that we’ll spending lots of time apart. I wouldn’t be able to really get to know you and stuff. I feel that it’s going to be really shallow, like we’ll just have dinner together at somewhere private and do some skinship stuff. Am I confusing you?”I asked.

“I get what you’re saying. It is going to be tough, I’m not going to deny that. But I promise to try hard so that we can have a relationship that is as normal as possible,”he nodded his head firmly.

“But I can’t exactly reject you, you see cause you took my first kiss away. I’m kinda bound to you by that fact,”I continued.

Without any words spoken, Myeolchi oppa leaned down and took my second one away.

“Now that I’ve taken away your second kiss, you’ll have to be my girlfriend, right?”he asked cheekily.

“I never said that,”I blushed.

“Hmm, does that mean I gotta take away your third, fourth and fifth before you agree?”Myeolchi oppa began leaning towards me again.

“No!”I pushed him away.

“Then, let me be your boyfriend so that you don’t have to beat yourself up for letting a close friend take away your first and second kiss!”he shook my hand about.

“Do you think we’ll work out?”I asked.

“Well, if we never try, we never know. I can’t guarantee that it will work out perfectly, since every relationship have its fair share of problems. But I can promise you that I’ll work hard at this. I’ll try my best at making our relationship last,”he held my hand tightly.

“Do you really want to invest all your free time in me? I’m sure there are better candidates out there in the idol world. What if you got attracted by a pretty idol?,”I became to tear up, getting scared.

“I’ve seen so many pretty idols around but I’m not attracted to them. To me, you’re the prettiest girl ever,”Myeolchi oppa reached out to wipe my tears away.

“What if my parents didn’t approve of our relationship? Are you going to break up with me?”I asked.

“Why don’t we ask them now? I’ll go in and ask for their approval right now,”he said and got out of his car.

“What are you doing?!”I squealed as he held my hand tightly, bringing me to my house.

“I’m going to ask them for their approval. What do you think I’m doing?”he replied, ringing the doorbell.

Just as I was about to start arguing, my mum opened the door.

“Good evening, aunty! Sorry to disturb but I really need to talk you and uncle right now,”Myeolchi oppa flashed her his best smile.

“Sure, come in! Did Haemin do something?”she asked.

“Mum,”I groaned.

“Oh yes, she did. She stole something,”he replied.

“What did she steal? You rascal! How dare you steal an idol’s stuff!”my mum glared at me.

“I didn’t! I swear I didn’t!”I exclaimed.

“What’s going on?”my dad asked.

“Your daughter stole his stuff,”my mum replied.

“Yeah, she stole my heart,”Myeolchi oppa smiled.

“What?”

“Your daughter, Haemin here stole my heart away. And I’m actually here to ask for your approval for us to start dating,”Myeolchi oppa held onto my hand tightly.

“Mum, dad, just ignore him! He’s out of his mind,”I gulped, afraid of what they will say.

“Are you really sure about dating her? I may always tease Haemin about her flaws, but she’s still my daughter and I don’t want her getting hurt. Especially not by her favourite idol,”my mum asked in a stern manner.

“Are you serious about it? Because we understand your busy schedule but we still want you to take time out to take care of her and be by her side,”my dad added on.

“I’m serious about being together with her,”Myeolchi oppa said firmly.

“Then, the important question now is, Haemin, do you like him? Do you want to be with him?”my dad turned to ask me.

I looked at Myeolchi oppa hesitantly to find him staring right back at me and my heart melted. I’ve liked him for so long! Of course, I would want to.

“Yes, I do but…I’m just afraid,”I admitted.

“Of course you would be. This is going to be your first relationship. But you need to remember one thing. Both of you. You need to remember to trust each other. Trust not only in the sense that he or she wouldn’t cheat but also that you’ve made the correct choice. Trust that there’s nobody else that you would want to be with. Trust that he or she is the one for you,”my mum said.

“I will remember that,”Myeolchi oppa bowed.

“So, what does this mean?”I asked.

“It means we approve of this relationship, silly! If its someone that my daughter likes, why shouldn’t I approve of it! And it’s Eunhyuk from Super Junior! Your favourite band!”my mum squealed.

“Now that your parents have approved, will you be my girlfriend?”Myeolchi oppa turned to grin.

“I…,”my eyes darted towards my parents.

Taking that as a cue, my mum shooed my dad into their bedroom. But I was pretty sure they were eavesdropping. There was silence in the house and Myeolchi oppa was still staring at me, waiting for my answer.

“I…I guess so,”I replied hesitantly.

“You guess so?”Myeolchi oppa looked amused and had one of his eyebrows raised.

“Ah, I don’t know!”I ran towards my bedroom.

Before I could even close my door, Myeolchi oppa squeezed his way in and he closed it on my behalf. In a smooth movement, I was in his embrace and he was looking at me with such loving eyes.

“I’m going to kiss you for the third time. If you don’t want to be my girlfriend, you can throw me out of the house right now. But be prepared because I will not stop chasing after you,”he said firmly.

As he leaned forward, my heart started palpitating at a rapid pace.

“Wa…wait!”I pushed him away gently.

“Are you throwing me out?”he asked, eyes filled with fear.

“No. I’m…,”

I took in a deep breath.

“I want to be your girlfriend. You don’t have to kiss me,”I said as I avoided his eyes.

“Really? You will?”I could hear the excitement in his voice.

“Yes,”I nodded my head.

“Then, it wouldn’t hurt for me to kiss my girlfriend, right?”he asked cheekily.

“No! I’m not losing anymore of my kisses on the first day,”I covered my mouth.

“Fine! Let’s get you washed up then,”he chuckled.

“What do you mean?”I asked.

“I want to tuck you into bed. What time do you head to school? I want to drive you there,”he asked.

“No, you aren’t. You’re heading home now! You’re tired enough! And come by at 7 tomorrow,”I smiled.

“No, I don’t want to go home yet. I want to be around my girlfriend,”he whined.

“I said no,”I pushed him, causing him to stumble and crashing onto the floor.

I couldn’t stop myself from laughing as I helped him up.

“Stop laughing!”he shot me a firm glance.

“Sorry,”I quickly stopped.

I followed him to the door and I stood there, watching him wear his shoes.

“See you tomorrow,”he gave me a gentle smile.

“See you! Drive safely,”I smiled back.

“Don’t I get a hug at least?”he asked, stretching his arms out.

Giggling, I ran into his embrace, hugging him back.

“Goodnight, my dear,”he gave me a kiss on the top of my head.

“Goodnight,”I let go of him and waved.

I stood by the window watching his car pull out of the driveway. He gave me a final wave before he went off. Smiling to myself, I ran off towards my bedroom. The whole night, I hadn’t been able to sleep since I was too happy. Myeolchi oppa and I had talked over the phone before we decided it was getting late.

“Wake up, sunshine!”

That voice…isn’t my mother’s. I opened my eyes wide to find Myeolchi oppa in my bedroom.

“Is this...a dream?”

“No,”he chuckled as he sat down on my bed.

“Why are you here?”I asked, sitting up.

“Giving you a wake up call? And since you have a snooze function…,”

He didn’t finish his sentence but instead, positioned himself with his back on the headrest. He pulled me towards me so that my back was on his chest and my head was under his chin. He wrapped his arms tightly round my waist.

“You have ten minutes before I wake you up again,”he said.

“How am I supposed to sleep like that?”I laughed.

“Why not?”he asked.

I looked up at him, giving him a smile.

“You know, I was too happy last night and can’t sleep,”I admitted.

“Me too. Thank you, Haemin,”he grinned.

“Thank YOU, Myeolchi oppa. For loving me,”I laid my head against him again.

“Oh, have you told Soobin that you aren’t going to school with her?”he spoke up.

“Oh my god, no! I forgot!”I sat up again.

“Relax. You can always text her now,”he chuckled, reaching for my phone.

“But she’ll have to go to school alone,”I sighed.

“Not if Donghae can drive her there,”Myeolchi oppa winked.

*End of Haemin's POV*