The Chi of Life

Yutaka

 

Kaiya ran to the ocean where Yutaka’s body was drifting in. 
 
She picked up and carried him to the shore and laid him on his back. 
 
Kaiya (thinking): That wound… it stopped bleeding. 
 
She watched as the wound started to close and heal it’s self. 
 
Kaiya (looking in disbelief): “What the --”
 
The wound was healed and Yutaka woke up. 
 
Yutaka (holding his head): “I have such a headache. What happened?”
 
Kaiya (falling into Yutaka’s arms): “Summi killed you but somehow you were brought back to life.”
 
Yutaka (looking around for any sign of Summi): “I guess it wasn’t my time, yet.”
 
Kaiya got up and stood on her feet. 
 
Yutaka (getting up and dusting himself off): “Where’s Raitrious and Summi?”
 
Kaiya (looking at the horizon): “They disappeared after you died.”
 
Yutaka nodded. 
 
The sun starting to dip into the horizon of the, now destroyed, city. 
 
Yutaka (walking to the crater created by Summi upon his release): “Can you make a one story house here? Two bedrooms. One bathhouse. And a kitchen.”
 
Kaiya (cracking her knuckles): “I think I can. I hope I can.”
 
Her eyes glowed granite grey and she slammed her palms on the sand. A tremble was felt under their feet and a one story house erupted from the crater. 
 
They walked in and it had everything that was requested. 
 
Yutaka (walking to his room): “I’m going to bed. I had enough of today.” 
 
Kaiya nodded. She walked into the kitchen.
 
Meanwhile: Yutaka took off his torn kimono jacket off and tossed it out the window. He took off his obi (which was under his kimono, keeping his pants up) and tossed it aside. And finally he took off his pants. He was wearing red boxers. 
 
He took a towel and his toothbrush and walked to the bathhouse. He gently closed the door and the water. 
 
Kaiya decided to listen on in Yutaka. 
 
All she could hear was: “Crandor, how am I still alive? I felt the blast cut right through me.”
 
Inside the bathhouse, Yutaka was meditating. 
 
Inside his head, Crandor was holding, a fully clothed, Yutaka in the palm of his hand. 
 
Crandor (looking at Yutaka’s Soul): “You only survived because it is the ‘Elemental Sign’s’ duty to protect, guide their host. Also to lend some of it’s power to the host.” 
 
Yutaka’s Soul (placing his hand on his chest): “So upon seeing me get killed, you waiting until Summi and Raitrious disappeared and you used your ability to save me.”
 
Crandor (pointing to the sky): “That’s right. But…”
 
Yutaka’s Soul: “But?”
 
Crandor (placing his left claw  on Yutaka’s chest): “But it was you who saved yourself.”
 
Yutaka’s Soul (confused expression): “I’m confused. How did I save myself?”
 
Crandor (placing his large claw back on Yutaka’s chest/heart): “Because at the last second, you had enough chi to keep you alive. But only barely. Had you used that last little bit up, you would be dead. Or you would be knocked out. Whatever’s first?” 
 
Yutaka’s Soul gulped. 
 
Crandor laughed. 
 
Outside Yutaka’s mind: he woke up to bangs on the door.
 
Kaiya (banging on the door): “C’mon! You been in there for an hour! It’s time to come up! Don’t make me blow this door down!”
 
Yutaka took a quick shower and wrapped a towel around his waist. 
 
Kaiya banged on Yutaka’s left shoulder when he walked out. 
 
Yutaka (annoyed): “Don’t bother me again. I was meditating.”
 
Kaiya (more annoyed): “You have a bedroom for that you know!”
 
Yutaka paid no attention to her and was lost in thought. 
 
Yutaka (thinking): The Chi of Life. What could that mean? Does everyone have the Chi of Life? What is the Chi of Life? 
 
Yutaka walked into his bedroom and slammed the door shut. 
 
Kaiya (irked): “Jerk.”
 
She walked into the bathhouse and shut the door.