In Heaven

You Don't Know Me

 

Joon’s P.O.V

“He’s going to be okay, don’t worry.”

“How the hell am I supposed to be okay in a situation like this?” I ran my fingers through my hair pacing back and forth thinking of all the possible consequences.

“What if he dies?”

“What if he stays in a coma?”

“What if he regrets meeting me?”

“What if… what if… MIR! WAKE UP DAMN IT! YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME LIKE THIS! You can’t… you can’t…”I punched the wall crying in frustration. It’s been two days after Mir got shot in the street and he still hasn’t woken up. “You can’t die… you can’t die… you can’t die…” I cried over and over again as the tears agonizingly rolled their way down my cheeks while I cling to the hospital sheets that cover his body. A hand pats my back while another tries to lift me to my feet.

“Changsun-ah, kaja. You need to eat something and rest for a bit.” The voices seem so distant, but I can hear them just fine. I shake my head and take hold of his cold hand trying to warm it up with my own.

“Mireu… if you can hear me please come back. We still have to get married and live together for a long, long, long time! Please wake up, please. I promise I’ll buy you all the snacks you want and I won’t make you pick up your dirty socks, I’ll do it for you. I’ll bring you more candy and flowers and I’ll take you out on lots of dates, you can adopt as many cats as you cant and let them sleep in bed with us but for all that to happen you have to wake up, arasso?” I talked to him as if he could hear me, because deep down I knew he could. I knew he heard every single word I said which is why I didn’t want to leave his side, I wanted him to know I was always there for him, that I’d never leave him.

         Two more days passed and the doctors were losing hope in him waking up anytime soon. They said his heart was too weak now, that it was a miracle he’s held on for this long. Tomorrow they’ll be making a decision on whether we should plug on the machine that was keeping him alive or not. I hadn’t slept thinking about what to do but never coming up with a solution. That night I did something I hadn’t thought of before, after leaving the hospital due to so much nagging from Rain hyung, who had somehow got wind of what had happened and rushed to the city with his wife to watch over Mir, I went home and showered, ate dinner like we would usually do. After doing my dishes and putting them away I got into my car and drove down to the last place I would’ve gone to before.

          The big building engulfed me as I walked in. The place was simple, white walls, chairs lined up in rows neatly, the podium sat high and mighty waiting for his owner to show up. I walked to the front and stood gazing up at the ceiling, a feeling of warmth and calm washed over as I kneeled down and closed my eyes. I extended my arms towards the sky and prayed. I don’t know why but, while I was at the hospital a feeling came over me, something unexplainable, told me to come here and pray, so that’s what I was doing. After a while I opened my eyes and looked up, nearly having a heart attack when I saw a person in front of me with their hand on my head, their lips moving at a steady pace. I couldn’t quite make out what he was saying but he looked determined. How long had he been there, and why didn’t I feel him?  I waited a few more minutes until he finished with whatever he was doing and stood up. Later I found out he was the pastor of the church, I was surprised because well, he doesn’t look like a pastor, he looks too young, and is quite good looking. He didn’t pry on why I was there but instead encouraged me not to give up on whatever I was praying for because God would soon answer my pleas if I had faith in him.

      Before I realized what I was doing I began telling him what had happened, how we got there, how I got to this point in life and all he did was listen. He didn’t judge me or scoff at me but listened and nodded. After pouring my feelings at him he patted my head and squeezed my shoulder lightly yet strong enough to reassure me everything would be okay. Before I left we prayed once more, I was about to exit until the pastor called out my name.

“Joon-ssi, tomorrow when you make your decision let God guide you, sometimes the correct choices are the ones we think are wrong.” He gave me a fatherly smile and ushered out of the room. I stood there a bit confused by his words then made my way out.

“Nae pastor Choi, I’ll let God take the wheel and help me make my decision.” Instead of driving to the hospital like I would’ve done the past few days I went home and slept. It was a peaceful sleep, somehow the world seemed right, everything was in place. I was happy.

      The dreaded day arrived sooner than I would’ve wanted it to but it was better this way. I threw on a simple white shirt and black slacks, styled my hair in a messy manner, the way Mir liked it, and put on my belt. One of our neighbors greeted me on my way down and handed me Styrofoam take out plate. She was actually on her way up to give it to me but was glad she met me down here, since she is old she would’ve had a hard time climbing the stairs and the elevator terrified her. I chuckled and took the plate from her, she’d cooked me breakfast, I gave her my best smile and thanked her until she patted my cheeks like a grandma would, I watched her go back into her apartment and continued making my way to my car. It’s now ten in the morning, it takes about an hour to get to the hospital, I contemplated on skipping breakfast an throwing the food away but the Ahjumma had taken her time on cooking so I decided to sit in my car and eat. I finished it all up then drove out of the parking garage, I  was in the plaza by now and saw happy couples strolling around holding hands or feeding each other. I sighed and was about to speed up but a gleam caught my eye. It was one of those cheesy couple jewelry stands but I got down to check it out anyways. This is what me and Mir love, we like going out and buying couple shirts, hats, rings, anything that says, ‘hey look at us! We’re happy and in love!’ I bought matching lockets for each of us along with a bouquet of flowers and a giant teddy bear. Once I paid I put the things in the back of the car and continued on my drive to the hospital.

        I greeted the nurses as usual but this time with a smile and handed them each a flower, I hugged the doctors on my way until I finally reached his room. The room was well cleaned and smelled like disinfectant and sterile things. The window was closed and the curtains drawn making the room feel ominous and gloomy. Rain hyung and Hyori noona were sleeping on the small recliner provided the staff, I set my things down on the small bedside table and quickly slid the curtains open letting the sun shine stream in, I opened the windows and let in the fresh air. I pulled up a chair to the side of his bed and ped my backpack pulling out magazines, candy, a notebook with a pen and my iPod. I put in a headphone in my ear and other in his then pressed play on the device., I lowered the volume a tad to not disturb him too much and flipped open a magazine.

“Baby, let’s have a garden wedding, nae? I think since it’s summer time it’ll be nice to have a garden wedding close to a lake, with all the flowers in bloom and bright sun, the birds chirping and all that.” I chuckled looking at the picture in the tabloid and wrote that down in the notebook, I cut out several pictures and fixed them as to how I’d like the wedding to look like. I wrote down numbers and prices and all other sort of stuff. I yawned and looked back to see hyung and noona still sleeping. I shook my head and headed towards them.  I shook hyung awake, when he moved he moved noona making her wake up as well.

“Yah hyung! It’s almost two in the afternoon and you are still sleeping.” He groaned and cursed at me but got up anyways. Hyori fixed her clothes and hair then hit hyung complaining she was hungry he glared at me for what I had caused but led her out, probably to take her out for lunch.

         I took my seat beside him again and resumed our conversation, time flew by, nurses had come in and out to check up on Mir, they brought me snacks and more magazines, some of them chatted with me and helped me pick out types of flowers and places for the reception, but soon they also had to leave to go check up on another patient. I was in the middle of laughing at one of my stupid jokes about Mir in a wedding dress and I could just imagine him punching my arm about how stupid I was then shoving a piece of candy in my mouth to shut me up, when the doctor came in with some other nurses behind him. They looked sad and tired, Seungho and the rest of the guys were there as well, some of our old school friends had also come by, Rain and Hyori had returned as well, my father and mother were both standing by the door, even my grandma who had been a about everything was there grieving over Mireu. Mr. Ma pulled me aside and asked what I wanted to do, if we pulled the plug of the life support machine he might die that instant, he might live for a few more minutes but would still be unconscious, after getting my decision he tried to persuade me to wait outside so I wouldn’t have to witness any of this. I stood my ground and waited quietly by the bed.

           The cord was unplugged, the machine shutdown as well as my heart. Mirs chest heaved a slow and tired breath then stopped, just like my world. It seemed crazy that it was over like that; I didn’t want to believe it, I knew in my heart this wasn’t the end. I held his hand like I had been doing previously, the monitor beeped signaling he was dead. A silent tear rolled down my cheek, it wasn’t sad, it was of joy and happiness because what happened next shocked us all.

“Pabo…” Mir wheezed struggling to breath a bit, but alive, which is all that I wanted.

 

 

Mirs’ P.O.V

        I stood in a giant garden that overlooked pretty views. The sound of running water rang in my ears, looking around I couldn’t understand how I got here, it was strange. I didn’t remember anything that happened before. I looked down at my clothes and tilted my head in confusion, when did I change into this? The white tunic hung from my shoulders, a belt made out rope kept it in place. Golden sandals were on my feet, I walked following the bright light that led to the edge of the water. I looked down and saw Joon seating beside me. Huh? How could I be in both places? I kept watching and saw him punch a wall, he yelled at Seung Ho hyung and made Hyuna cry.

Yah! Joon stop yelling at them!

      I tried to shout at him to stop but it was no use, he couldn’t hear me. I could hear my voice but it wasn’t loud enough for him. I plopped down on the soft grass and played with the ends of my clothing. Heaving a sigh I plucked a piece of grass and fiddled with it. Soon I got bored of that to and went back to look at the water. This time it was in the past, as soon as the images appeared my head began to hurt. I clutched it in an attempt to make it stop but it was of no use.

Ahh!

I tried to shout but I couldn’t, I tried closing my eyes but even there, the image danced behind my eyes. I saw myself getting shot, blood spattered everywhere, my breathing slowed down. I had a panic attack and clawed at the air trying to get out. I was scared. The video replayed itself again and again until I was crying, begging for someone to help me but nobody came.

Joonie… help me… please…

      Everything went dark. I tried to feel my way around but didn’t know where to go. I didn’t know where this place was, I was lost and helpless. I remembered the trees. There were lots of them, I forced myself to remember where they were and felt my way around. I stumbled and fell down a few times but I made it; crawling behind a tree I curled up in a ball and cried. Everything seemed lonely, even though I remember the place is beautiful. The bright sun light I had seen a while ago was now hidden from me, I couldn’t see the light anymore, my world was dark. I felt like dying.

          “MIR WAKE UP!” I woke up with a jolt. “Who’s there?” I quietly called out hoping for someone I knew.

Baby how do you feel about a garden wedding?” I crawled out from where I was hiding, still blinded by darkness, but followed that voice. “I think you’d look cute in a wedding dress jagi.” I came closer and closer, my heart thumped loudly and fast as I got nearer but as soon as I was almost there, it stopped.

“Joon, I think we should unplug him.” I heard a sigh somewhere far away, and soon beeping followed then died out. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around but wasn’t able to see anything. The light was back but everything that had been there before had disappeared.

CheolYong, you don’t belong in this world yet.

    With that my mind shutdown for a while an I didn’t know what was going on. When I opened my eyes again I was in an unfamiliar room, I looked to my right and saw Joon who was crying. What happened to him now? I wondered and tightened my hold on his hand to stop him from crying.

“Pabo…” I managed to say as I struggled to breathe, my chest felt tight and constricted. I closed my eyes again and breathed heavily. I coughed a few times and when I opened my eyes I was surrounded by people. I blinked a few times trying to figure out what was going on. Most of them were crying and I wondered why. A doctor was feeling me up and I smacked his hand away glaring at him. Joon laughed and hugged me tight as if he had never seen me before, as if it was the first he’s hugged me. I swatted his arm because he was hurting me, well he wasn’t but my chest was aching really bad. The doctor ushered everyone outside, except for Joon who had whined the entire time and finally the doctor gave up and let him stay, then lifted up my shirt, I blushed profusely and tried to cover myself up but blinked and looked down in surprise when I saw a bandage wrapped around my torso. He began to unwrap it and I gaped a scar covered the place where my heart is.

     I tentatively graced my fingers over it and winced since it was still fresh. The stitches looked hideous against my skin and I pouted. Joon was biting his lip, almost chewing it all off, I stretched out my left hand for him and he took it giving it a light squeeze when my eyes began to water. Mr. Ma, I finally learned his name, was poking around it and it hurt. I pursed my lips in a tight line and closed my eyes tightly, hanging on to Joons’ hand for protection. When he was finally done torturing he let me pull my shirt back down, wrote something on a piece of paper and bid us good bye until his next visit. I sighed and lay back down on the bed. Joon who had been quiet the entire time finally spoke up. He apologized until I shut him up by kissing. We spoke of what had happened, he got furious when I told him it was okay, that I didn’t mind getting shot, that I didn’t care about what had happened and that I’d gladly take another bullet if it meant I got to stay with him. Apparently he didn’t appreciate my humor in this type of time, but I didn’t care because I wasn’t just joking around. I would gladly a thousand bullets for him, a million of them, but only because I love him.

         I got discharged from the death trap, I mean hospital two weeks later after being taken care of and, tortured, examined. I still couldn’t do many activities due my condition which pissed me off because Joon wouldn’t let me out of his sight. I’d spend eight hours of my day stuck on a sofa in his office since he’d be taking over his dads’ company, then I’d wait for him for another two or t here hours until his dance class that he taught ended, then we would finally go home. Even there he wouldn’t let me have any space. I’d whine and cry and do anything I could think of to let him know I was okay being alone for a bit but he wouldn’t budge. We became like Siamese twins, doing everything together, eating, sleeping, bathing, playing, everything!

       Today we were going to check the wedding hall where we would hold the after party, we had already checked the place where the we would say our ows and everything. The construction of the altar was finished and ready to go, all we needed was ourselves, a pastor, a few witnesses and we could finally be officially married. I was getting giddy with the big day coming closer and closer with each passing day. Only two more weeks, kyahhh! I mentally screamed and ran inside the hall. It was perfect! The room was huge and looked out to a huge lake with green grass and flowers everywhere. The doors were glass and the high ceilings seemed to go on forever. It was perfect. I ran back to Joon and hugged his side tightly.

“I love you, pabo~” I cooed and messed with his hair, in return I got a kiss on my cheek and breath taking smile.

“I love you more~.” He chuckled, then got serious. “Are you nervous?”

“A little…” I answered truthfully. I was more than happy to be with him forever, but getting married was really a huge step. I was both scared and excited at the same time. “Are you nervous? ” He nodded in response then it went quiet. It wasn’t an awkward quiet, it was a good silence.

“You won’t leave me hanging at the altar, right?” He asked all of a sudden and I burst into laughter.

“Aniya, of course not!! I’ve been waiting for this day since I met you.” We stood holding hands until it got late and the sun began to set, then went home.

 

 

A/N: WOOOOOOOOOO!

Okay guys! One more chapter and the story comes to an end, kyahhh! Woo \o/

Aww I'm sad v.v

I really had a fun time with you guys, and thanks to all of my loayl readers, commentors, subbers, guys I love you all and thank you for sticking around with me!!!! :) <3

Comment and sub either ways pleaseuu!!! I really want to know what you guys thought of this fic :)