Basil - 9

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Hey guys! I'm back for a double update for today! 

Again thank you to all our subscribers and readers waiting patiently for updates. 

I know you already want them to meet so let's go! 

Subscribe, comment, holler!

Ciao! ✌

----------------

Erratum: I changed my mind. I'm making Taeyeon as Krystal's dad and taking out Siwon. I just can't picture out Jessica with Siwon. My apologies!

------

 


Krystal's POV


It was another busy afternoon and by the looks at the order slips hanging in front of me, the place is full pack again. Wait til you see dinner!


Jackie, Victoria, and I had a video conference call this morning in our small office. She announced that she's pregnant and will have to take a bed rest for a few months. Jackie is a very nice and generous boss. And I treat her and Victoria as my older sisters because I don't have anyone to look up to.


She said that her sister Amber just came home from Cambridge two days ago and agreed to supervise us until she's fine and the baby too. She doesn't really share any personal details about her sister before. She just told us that she's having her Masteral course at Cambridge and she's nice. But no photos because apparently, Amber is a very private person. No Social Media accounts, no magazine has ever taken her photo considering that their family is well known in the social circle.


I've met Jackie's Mother and Father when they dined once. Mr. Liu even complimented the Lemon, Basil, Ricotta Risotto that I made and served to him saying it was wonderful. Mrs. Liu was just smiling but it doesn't reach her eyes. She just said my Pesto was good. Jackie said her mom was just jealous because someone finally made a pesto that is more delicious than hers. Her mom usually make it for her little sister.


Well, I did it for someone. I mentally said to myself, remembering how a particular Llama scrapes the pesto sauce on her plate with a focaccia bread and even her fingers. I made that Pesto recipe just for her wishing that when we meet again, I will serve it to her and make her stay. No silly 18-year-old-romantic-bulls-and-universe whatsoever.


I was busy doing the finishing touches on an order when I heard Wendy and Seulgi gushing on the kitchen door and heads craning. Victoria went inside the kitchen and gave me an order slip.


"Cheffy, this is an order from a VIP that Jackie invited today. I suggested your Baked Pesto Ravioli and luckily the guest loves Pesto." Victoria said to me smiling while bending over to get some cheese on the rack and eating it.


"Sure, I'll prepare this for her guest. Any special request?"


"Extra pesto sauce that's all. And Antipasti too, Solar! " She said to Solar who is busy arranging some olives in a wooden board where we serve our Antipasti.


"Got that Vic!" Solar acknowledge and did an 'Okay' sign with her hands.


"Wendy!Irene! Table 5 and 7 is already here! Stop that weird things you're doing on my kitchen!" I yelled at the 2 who is still craning their necks on the mirror of the door. They rushed to me and gave me a grin.


"Thanks Cheffy!" The two fixed their uniform and hair first before going out the kitchen door. Vic and I were watching them and I can't help but chuckle on their actions.


Vic was still munching on some cheese and let out a chuckle too when Luna entered the door and screech like a banshee. I wanna stuff a meatball on right now!


"Victoria! Who's that good looking guy you assisted a while ago? He's so handsome!" She gushed at us while picking up some cheese too.


"Hey!" I swatted her hand but she already popped it on and stuck out her tongue.


Victoria gave her a light smack on her forehead for being too noisy. "Luna! If you want to destroy other peoples eardrums, don't do it here!"


"Mianhe Vic! Who was that? He looks so fine... Although he's not my type because I don't like feminine looking guys. But he's still good looking huh."


Luna's type are muscular guys who has dimples. More like Minho, one of the dining staff who she secretly has a crush going on but can't tell.


"That's a VIP, and I want you to serve the wine. White, the one Krys always suggest for the pesto and the Antipasti Solar made. Palli palli! Go back to work!" She slap Luna's and pushed her outside.
I can't help but shake my head on those two big mouse who snacked on my cheese. Again, Wendy and Irene went in and even pulled Seulgi from her pizza table.


"What the heck Irene! Don't you know I'm busy?! Cheffy's gonna kill you I'm telling you!" I heard Seulgi and grinned at what she said. They know me as nice and funny outside the kitchen and when we hang out but when I'm in the kitchen, I don't like any distractions to me or my team.


"Chef~ you got to see this! The guy is so handsome! Luna's giving him wine right now. You should see him Chef!" Irene gushed at me and I just rolled my eyes on her.


Byul butted in and flicked her forehead "What's so great about the guy? All guys are the same!" The bitter Byul strikes again. Can't help it if you found out your boyfriend of 4 years is cheating on you with your neighbor.


Irene just scratched her head and pouted at Byul. Seulgi is also craning her head outside now and I can't help but chuckle at these kids. I made my way to them and took a peek at the guy they are talking about but all I see is his back facing us. Dark short hair, white linen shirt folded up halfway on his arms. His shoulders aren't that wide like on typical guys but it's good. Just that. I don't know why they are being like this.


"What's good about his back? Pfftt~ I've seen a lot of that in Italy, with 8-packs mind you. Get back to work girls! Or no food at lunch later!" I went back to my station and did my own thing again. Byul pulled Seulgi by her ears and went to their places again.


"Seriously?! Byul unnie, Solar unnie come here and tell me if you don't feel your heart skip a beat on this guy!" I laughed at their silliness while I sauté some shrimp on the pan for a pasta. Solar just rolled her eyes and took a peek with Byul, and came back to their stations.


"Sorry girls, I think you're making a mistake." I hear Solar said while she went back arranging some salamis on a dish.


"What!? Didn't you find him handsome? You saw him turn his head and you saw his face. Didn't your heart skipped a beat when you saw him? Chef?!" Wendy said while pouting and placing the plate of pasta on her tray.


"Sorry Wendy, my heart only beats for Byul.~" Solar said out of the blue that made Byul sneezed hard. Solar has been trying to hook up with Byul ever since the break up with her ex. Well, Solar swings the other way if you know what I mean. And Byul is still so-so.


"Seriously people!? There's only three people in this restaurant who appreciates male beauty? Chef?! Don't tell me.."


"I'm gay." I said as a matter of factly while plating another pasta and gave it to her smiling. "Now, scoot and serve that!" She turned her back and went out the kitchen. She went back again placing another order slip on the rack.


"Chef can I ask you something?"


"Sure, just don't ask me about boybands because I'm not a fan." I heard Byul snickered and I threw a towel to her dodging it.


"When did you realize you were gay?" I laughed softly at Wendy's question and continued on plating the Baked Ravioli for the VIP. That was a very curious question from a kid. Solar was leaning on her station and crossed her arms waiting for my answer.


Well I never really tell them anything about private matters concerning my love life. Byul is the only person who knew about New York, she basically threatened me to end our friendship if I don't tell her so I did. And next thing I knew, Luna and Victoria already knows it too. Atleast she didn't told them about the Rated - 18 part or I really have to kill her.


"I was 18 and vacationing in New York. That's it. When I was in Italy no guy made me interested to them even though they look like Roman gods. But it doesn't mean i'm attracted to all kinds of women." I scooped some pesto in a sauce dish.


Seulgi was also listening and asked me too with wonder in her eyes "So it means, you're gay for just one person Chef. You only admire them but you don't do the picking up thing like Solar here."


"Hey!!" I laughed at Solar's annoyed expression while she threw an olive to Seulgi, which the latter expertly catched with . Solar's a bit of a player that's why Byul hasn't said yes to her for a date. Don't get me wrong, you'll never notice that Solar likes girls when you see her. She's pretty and has a good body too. She dress up like a girl but picks up girls. And I already scolded her about that , that is why she turned her attention to the newly singled Byul.


Luna came barging in again at my kitchen clutching her chest and hands over . This dramatic mouse, she look shocked. Like she found out Minho was gay hehehe (but we know he's not). Wendy and Irene held her and she was just staring at air.


"Luna unnie! What happened to you!? Did the handsome guy told something about the food? Why are you shocked?" Wendy asked Luna who is still unable to find her voice. I balled a kitchen towel and threw it at her hitting her head and I laughed at her reaction.


"Ouch Krys! That hurts!" Tissue papers doesn't even hurt. Tssss..


"You look stupid. Bring this to Jackie's guest, I didn't pour the sauce though. He can decide how many he can put on the pasta, depends on his likeness. " I told Luna and she placed the dish on her tray and shook her head dramatically.


"By the way girls, he's a she. I mean he's not a he, it's a she. "


"Oh! You mean he's gay!" Seulgi said earning a smack on her head from Irene.


"No!!! He's not gay! It's a girl! She's a handsome girl!" Luna said with wide eyes while clutching the tray and went out the kitchen again. I placed a dish on Irene's tray and smiled at her jokingly.


"Sorry guys, looks like your surrounded with gays here. Well except for Kyungsoo and Sehun.."


Kyungsoo butted in and looked at Irene and Wendy smiling "Mianhe, you can take Sehun. I'm gay too."


"I'm not!" Sehun blurted out and took Irene's hand and said "We can always go out and have a few drinks, you know. Then maybe I can invite you to my apartment..--"


I love this happy, funny atmosphere right now making the stress go away. Irene pulled her hand and flicked Sehun's forehead hard. "I changed my mind, maybe I can go gay for that guest than go out with you!" She stomped her feet and turned around leaving the kitchen with her tray of food with Wendy following her and leaving Sehun too with a reddened forehead.


"Come on guys, party's over. Chop chop! We still have 6 orders left before closing in." I yelled at them and went back to their respective stations.

 

 


Luna came in again and crossed her arms in front of me while I count the finished order slips for the lunch time. "Krys, the VIP loved your pesto! She would like to personally praise you but I told her your busy. So she said she wants to see you after the lunch time. Is it okay with you?"


"Yeah sure... That will be fine... And besides, she's Jackie guest so it's okay." I looked up and smiled at her while placing the slips on my box.


"Oh by the way, Victoria said meeting at lunchtime. See you in a few minutes guys!" She waived and went out the kitchen.

 

 

 

Amber's POV


Lunch will be over soon and the restaurant will close for a few hours before opening again by 6:00 pm for dinner. I stay seated on my table as I finish the remnants of the white wine served to me by Luna. Victoria told me she already told the staff for the meeting later so I just have to wait until all the customers leave.


When all of them has left, I stood up and went to the bar where Victoria is now standing checking the covers as of this lunchtime. I believe the bistro earned a lot today considering the high stacks of checks on the counter. I sat up on the stool and watched the dining staff clean the place and stack the chairs up in the table. They left a long table clean and placed some plates and dining utensils, meaning it's their turn to eat lunch. Jackie told me this is a tradition for them to eat altogether with the food coming from the kitchen. This is how generous my sister is.


The three girls whom I just only know one is Luna has been eyeing me with curious looks and I just smiled at them. The two guys are also looking at me and made a peace sign. I like them already.


The kitchen door opened and 5 staffs wearing chef's uniform went out, one of them carrying 2 big tray of Spaghetti and Meatballs and some chicken. The shorter guy is clutching a big bowl of salad greens and placed it on the table.


They all took a seat leaving the head of the table vacant and also the one of the right. Victoria nudge me and I followed her to the table.


"Are we complete now? Should we start the meeting?" Victoria said to the staff who now looks hungry judging on how they look at the food and to me. "Byul, where's Krys?"


"Chef Krys is still at the office but she'll come out in a few minutes. Just talking to her father I think. She said we can start and she will just catch up." The girl named Byul said and Victoria looked at me and I nodded meaning we can start now.


"First of all, I would like to introduce to you Ms. Jackie's sister. Amber, if you may?"


"Hi guys, my name is Amber and I'm Jackie's sister. She is currently on indefinite leave starting today because she was advised by her doctor to have a bed rest. Well, she's pregnant and it's a delicate pregnancy. So I'm here to represent her and work with you until she's okay. So....There. Any questions?" They started to clap their hands all smiling at me and I just have to scratch my neck on embarassment.


One girl raised her hands and I pointed at her "Yes please, state your name and question for me. "


"Hi Ms. Amber my name is Irene. I just want to know if you're single?" I looked at Victoria and she just rolled her eyes.


"Err.. Yes I am, as of now."


Another one raised her hand and it's Luna. "Are you looking for a girlfriend right now? " What?!


"Ahhh... Well..."


"I'm Wendy and may I know what's your type?" Another one again uggh.


"My type? Ahhh well.."


"Seriously guys!? Is this a ing talkshow?" The guy with frog eyes and dimples said earning a slap on his arms from the girl named Wendy. This is getting out of control! Victoria cleared and they all stopped to what they are doing.


"That's enough! Let's eat now and we still have a lot to do. Amber I would like you to meet all our staff. The left side is the dining staff. This is Minho, Jonghyun, Irene, Wendy, and Luna the one who attended on you." They all waved at me and I returned it with a bow and smile.


"On the right side is the kitchen staff, that's Sehun and Kyungsoo our Commis. Seulgi our Baker and pattissier, Solar our pantry girl, this is Byul our Sous Chef the second in command. And Chef Krystal is our head chef--" her phone suddenly rang and she excused herself to answer it telling me to sit at the head of the table. They are all looking at me and I just smiled at them.


"Ahhh.. Why don't we eat first then we'll continue this conversation later. Is that okay?" I asked them and they cheered digging on the food.


They are all nice and funny too. Minho and Jonghyun are the jocks while Sehun is a ladies man who always gets rejected by Irene or Wendy or Seulgi. Kyungsoo was also nice and talkative, same as Luna who has a high pitch voice when she's excited. Byul was just cool and nice too, Solar is flirty with her and I think she's nice too.


Victoria went back on us and sat at my left side with the dining staff. "Hey Amber, Chef Krystal said sorry for not meeting you today. She had to go to her father due to an emergency, something about her father's girlfriend. She'll be back tonight for dinner and she said she'll prepare a welcome feast for you. How does that sound?"


"That's fine! It's an emergency so it's okay. I'm looking forward to that feast, and maybe we can drink tonight? Is that okay with you guys?" I looked at them all and they all cheered.

 

After the hearty lunch, Victoria brought me to their office and showed Jackie's table. It's just a small office with 3 tables, a couch, some books and filing cabinet. It also has a coffee maker on the side and A/C.


"This is Jackie's table which will be your table for the coming months. That one," she pointed at a desk at left side near the wall full of folders "is my table, a bit messy may I add!" She chuckled. "And that one," she pointed at the table at the right side near the wall too. "Is Chef Krystal's table. She's neat and very particular on her things. Her books are all lined up and she also has a sleeping bag under her table bundled up because she sometimes sleep here when she do her monthly inventory or midnight study. She's a bit of a workaholic so don't be surprised if you see her one morning sprawled on the couch inside her sleeping bag like a corpse."


Maybe she doesn't have a life, I said to myself.

 

Harsh Amber, very harsh. As if you have a life!


Well I do! It's just that I haven't found her.


There was a book on Chef Krystal's table and it looks familiar but I don't know where I saw it. Then a photo frame of a man maybe on his 40s and a bit younger woman both in formal clothing. The girl might be in her late 30s. Maybe this is Chef Krystal's Dad and the future step-mom?


Victoria answered the question on my mind "That's her Dad Atty. Jung Taeyeon and future step-mom Atty. Jessica Jung, both lawyers. Atty. Jessica is also surnamed as Jung but not blood related to Atty. Taeyeon."


"Cool.." I placed the frame on the table and took a seat on my own. "Jackie said she's the best and talented too."


"Of course! She's one of the youngest Head Chef's here in Korea! She was interviewed by a magazine before and even guested in a variety show too a few times by invitation from the TV networks because guesting her boost their ratings but after 5 episodes she already declined telling them nicely that she's a Chef not a celebrity. She doesn't like being praise all the time or put on a pedestal. She's just a simple 25 year old who loves cooking. And I think it's on her blood too."


"Wae? Her mom's a cook too?" I asked interestedly.


"Duh! This is a secret I'm telling you because Chef Krystal told me to keep it a secret. Her mother is actually Chef Stephanie Hwang-Waldorf... You know, the famous Celebrity Chef from US with a cooking show and books?"


I remember the name, Chef Stephanie... Oh, I know her!


"Is it Chef Tiffany? That's how she's called right? My mother knows her, she taught my mom on how to make pesto sauce. She was mom's guest back in L.A. when I was still in High school."


"I already told you a lot about Chef Krystal's life and she's not even here! She's gonna kill me you know. Here, take this folder and look into it. These are our revenue for the past months." She gave me the folder and told me all I need to know about the restaurant.


Maybe I'll just ask Chef Krystal later about her life.

 

 

 

 

---------------

Aunt Jessi spoiling the meet and greet... Pfffft...

😑

And I kinda switch Solar and Byul hehe... Solar's the one running after Byul now. 

Atty. Taeyeon is a guy here 😁