Kimchi - 36

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

 

 


Author's POV


The elders were wondering that night why the couple didn't arrive at the dining hall for dinner. Deep inside them they were a bit worried, especially Chae Young. She knows their property isn't safe anymore but still, her cousin is a Sly Fox who can pay anyone to do dirty things. And she doesn't want the couple, most especially her daughter, to be the casualty of her shady business.


Yesterday, she received an anonymous message on her cellphone telling her to be cautious because she's being watched. A photo message arrived shortly, showing her in the photo, her back turned to the one who captured the image inside the main hall where she is standing then. Good thing her Mother is together with Amber and Soojung that day and went shopping. She told her husband, Joseph, about it and showed the photo and message to him. He clenched his jaw looking alarmed, he said they have to inform her Mother about it immediately.


It alarmed her, because it means someone dangerous is inside their property and they don't even know who it is. The person might be pretending to be a helper, a guard, or even worse, a cook. That person can strike anytime, anywhere without being caught.


There's only one person she knows who can do those things. Her cousin - Lee Jungho. Their fathers are brothers, making Jungho's father the eldest but it was Chae Young's father who inherited the leadership of the Lee family and everything included on it. From what she heard, Uncle Lee was not considered because his mental health is unstable.


Once the shopping party arrived that night, she asked her mother to have a close door meeting, without her assistant because she can't trust anyone in the house right now. She told her mother about the anonymous message and showed her the photo. Madam Lee immediately called the head of security giving him the task to investigate and find the person inside their property who is being paid by their enemy. He has to do it discreetly and confidential, no one will have to know even Amber.


Her mother discussed to her the plan she has been working on. Chae Young agreed whole heartedly with it together with the support of her husband. Krystal made her realized that it's time to stop everything that made her a monster, she has to stop hurting her daughters and start being a real mother from now on. The company can go on without having those illegal contracts.


She needs to make up for the lost years she didn't spent with her daughters. They were raised in L. A. away from her by their 'tutors' that's why Jackie has some resentment on her. Her eldest Jackie, who is smart enough to get out of their family and start fresh. Chae Young admits, it's her fault Bryan had an accident. It was just to scare him and remind him that she's watching but she didn't mean to hurt him like that. The one he hired to do it went over the top causing damage to Bryan's life and Jackie's animosity to her own mother.


It happened again with Krystal and she swears, she just did that to scare her. But no violence whatsoever. A few blank bullets is enough and some smoke bombs. Honestly, she dislike the girl for Amber before because she thought Krystal took Amber away from her. She wants to scare her and make her realize that Amber is not right for her and will just bring misery in her life. She even hired someone to trash Amber's gallery just to make her daughter go back to her. Instead, the girl didn't left Amber's side and supported her, took care of her needs and even gave Amber a shelter full of warmth and love.


Chae Young realized then that it's no use breaking them apart, they're going to get back again with each other no matter what happens. It only cemented and solidify their love for each other that Chae Young gave up and accepted her daughter's decision of forfeiting her rights to all the properties named after her, including her name on the family registry.


Amber and Jackie might have been excluded in the family registry now after signing the document but they are still Chae Young's daughter. Like what her Mother discussed to her, the contract that Amber and Jackie signed only indicates that the two of them can't have any right or inherit any of their properties and family heirlooms. But it doesn't mean that their offsprings can't. That night, they drafted a new will.


If their family will start fresh, they have to ensure the future of the new generation their family will have. They can't let the children suffer like what their parents did.


Patrick will get his when he turns 21 and after finishing school. Well for Amber's offsprings the same goes, but of course she and Krystal have to produce first. They will only know about the will once her Mother or Chae Young dies.


And Grandma Lee already decided to whom she will leave her precious traditional house and piece of land.

 

 


-----

 

Chae Young felt uneasy.. What if something happened to the two? What if an assassin crept in their room and did something bad to the two? These thoughts makes her more nervous. Their security is already placed on red alert discreetly but still, it's making her think of different kind of situations.


She fiddle with the food on her plate and sighed. She can't take it anymore and decided that she has to check the couple.


"Mother, maybe we should check Amber and Krystal. They haven't arrive for dinner. What if..."


"They are fine. Don't worry too much Chae Young. Maybe they are on their way now or maybe already sleeping. They didn't join us this lunch and had the food delivered to their room. My assistant said that only Amber was awake when they brought the food and Soojung is sleeping." The elder Lee continued to eat her steak while looking at her daughter.


"Chae Young-ah.. eat and we'll check them later. Just relax and don't let it make you paranoid. If that person sees you now, he will rejoice because he inflicted fear in you just by sending that message. Be natural, don't let it scare you." Joseph said to his wife and patted her hand. "After dinner, let's take a walk near their room for your relief. But I have to warn you.."


"About what?"


"Well... You see.. haha... It feels weird to say this because I'm the parent." Joseph was scratching his neck out of awkwardness. He looks like a male version of Amber just buffier. They share the same mannerisms and the same smile.


"Okayyyy... What is it?"


"I ummm.... How do I say this.. this morning after breakfast when I was passing through near their room I heard some weird noises. After a few seconds I realized where it is coming from and I wished I didn't stop and listened to it. So that's why they aren't here at lunchtime and maybe tonight too. They might be sleeping." Chae Young looked at her husband with a frown on her face. She can't understand what he is trying to say.


"Joseph can you just tell it in a manner I'll understand!"


"Chae Young-ah! Don't make me do it! It's awkward for me to say it! You know what I'm talking about."
She was going to answer her stupid husband when her Mother butted in savagely without sensor. How she wished she just listened attentively to her husband's words.


"Chae Young-ah, Joseph is simply telling you something we all know. But I'm going to tell it to you straight to the point like kids do today. What he means is he heard strange noises near their room because Amber is banging your daughter in-law this morning and maybe they spent the whole day doing it. When my assistant said that she saw Soojung at lunchtime sleeping deeply it means she's exhausted because she didn't even stirred on the bed when they delivered the food. It means, they are still sleeping right now or maybe banging again. Which reminds me, please I want the walls of Amber's room be renovated. Make it thick for Pete's sake! I'm gonna kill that kid!"


Chae Young was just staring wide eyed at her mother, her jaws dropped. Her mother is really something. Tsk tsk tsk. How can she deliver the word 'banging' with such ease and coolness at her age!?


"You're so savage mother. You could have said they are doing something intimate, but you chose to use that word 'banging' wow. Sometimes I don't know if you are really at your 70s or in your 30s."


"Thank you Chae Young, I'll take that as a compliment." She winked at her daughter and laughed at her hopeless expression. The elder loves watching TV and maybe, just maybe, she got that words from too much watching. "And one more indication that they are busy, is when Amber asked for a set of clean sheets. At the first day they arrived, I noticed that she asked for a change. I thought she just didn't like it. But I knew Soojung loves the blanket that's why she asked me if she can take it home. Then it happened again yesterday, fresh sheets again. I asked the laundry woman to bring the soiled ones to me and one look I knew why. It happened again this morning and well, this afternoon too."


"Why are we talking about their life?! This is so awkward I'm not hearing this."


"I know, this is awkward for me too." Joseph said shaking his head. He can't believe his mother in-law is talking about the birds and the bees like they are in a normal conversation. Even telling them about what his daughter and daughter in-law is doing behind closed doors.


But well, he can't help but be proud. Maybe it's a Father's thing, knowing that your son is normal. Scratch that, he means his daughter is normal. If only Amber turned out to be a guy, maybe he's already a Grandfather now.


"Tsk tsk... If Amber is a guy, Soojung might be pregnant by now and maybe every year..."


"Mother!!" The couple almost choke on what the elder said. Really, really, weird old lady. Savage old lady.


"Such a sad thing. We could have our little Amber running around by next year! How beautiful and handsome their kids will be! Soojung is so beautiful she should produce a lot of beautiful kids. But oh well, Soojung told me that they have visited a fertility clinic and both of them are taking medications now to boost their fertility. She plans to get pregnant by next year, isn't it wonderful!? Another baby in our family."


It really is wonderful, Chae Young thought. Knowing that another bundle of joy will possibly arrive by next year. She can't wait for it.

 

------

 

Amber's POV

 


I woke up from slumber when I felt Soojung stirred beside me. I opened my eyes slowly as my gaze landed on my beautiful girlfriend staring back at me with her soft gaze. She made my left arm her pillow that's why it's already numb but I don't care, as long as she's comfortable. She brushed away the fallen strands of hair on my face with her hands making me rub my face on her palm like a puppy, her lips curving to a smile.


That one special smile that makes my heart beat wildly, that special smile always making me breathless. That smile I had the privilege to see when I wake up in the morning and before retiring at night.


"Hey... Amber Liu.." her sweet bedroom voice filling my senses. "Gooooood mooornight~.."


I don't know what time it is, last thing I remembered was before we fell asleep again after lunch. The silouette of the moon outside our window and silence of the surroundings indicates that it's already midnight. I gave her a peck on her nose that made her crinkle it.


"Princess... We slept through dinner. Are you hungry? Do you want me to call the kitchen and prepare food for us?" I asked her in a low voice afraid that i might disturb the quietness of the night.


"Am it's midnight. The kitchen is closed and the helpers are already sleeping. I'm not gonna wake them up just to cook for us in the middle of the night." She pouted at me but I know she's hungry. It's been hours since we ate lunch and anytime now her stomach will...


~Grrrrrrrrrrr....~


Ramble.


I patted her hungry belly over her shirt. The monster has spoken, the Princess has to be fed.


"Ooops.." she grinned at me clenching her teeth. She's so cute.


"Why don't we make a Kimchi fried rice Soojungie. Let's sneak inside the kitchen and cook... I'm starving too. Please?"


"Actually, I also thought about that! Come on llama, let's go!" She said patting my cheek excitedly. She sat up in the bed facing my sides, brushing her long hair back with her fingers. Why is she so beautiful? Her ethereal beauty being accentuated by the moonlight making me gawk at her like a lovestruck teenager. My eyes roamed to the white shirt she's wearing knowing that there's nothing beneath that fabric.


She lifted my chin so that our gazes are leveled and smirked at me. "Amber, eyes on me. Eyes on my face not down there. Haven't you had enough of that a while ago baby?"


"I was distracted Soojungie.. sorry.. hehe.."


"Byuntae.." she snorted at me then flicked my forehead making me laugh softly at her. I sat up in the bed and reached for my boxers at the side and wore it. She was just sitting there beside me, her head resting on her palm pouting at me adorably. Gosh.


I reached for her face caressing it with my thumb. "Hey what's the matter? Really, really, hungry?"


"Yeah... Can you get a pair of undies for me Am.. and a PJ too..." She lazily ordered me still tilting her head and puffing her cheeks like a blow fish.


"Sure.." I gave her a peck on the cheek and stood up to get what she said. I also changed into a fresh T-shirt and pulled a PJ over my boxers. I went back to her still sitting figure and placed the items beside her.


"Do you need help changing?" She just nodded at me and I kneeled in front of her pulling the blanket off her body leaving it just below her waist.


"Hands up.." we giggled at my command knowing that it's her line on me. I pulled the hem of her shirt up and took it off gently. Oh ..


"Amber eyes on me." She said sternly at me and I obliged half heartedly. I helped put on her brassiere hooking it at the back and I noticed the red marks all over her chest and some on her neck. There was this bite on her collarbone that is now purplish, I bit my lip guiltily. I'm so stupid, it's going to bruise her skin.


I kissed the bruise tenderly, I looked at her and she smiled. "Does it hurt? I'm sorry if I bit it Soojungie, I wasn't thinking.." I put the shirt back on her again and fixed her hair.


"Nah.. it's okay.." she said pulling down her shirt covering her lap. I tapped her legs to stretch it out so that i can slid up her undies. I pulled the blanket covering her legs and saw some red marks and bites too peppered at her thighs. Oh again..


"Jesus Christ! What have I done!?"


"Hey!" She cupped my face making me a look at her "I told you, eyes on me! Don't look at that Am.."


"I'm sorry.."


"Don't be.. it's beautiful. What happened was beautiful. Come on help me with my undies and pajama. J-just be c-careful please.." I slid up her undies carefully when I heard her gasp. I looked at her face and she's fighting a wince. ... Did I transformed to some kind of a monster this morning?! Next, I carefully helped her wear her pajama then tied the strings in a knot.


I saw her wincing when she tried to move her legs to get up in the bed. What have I done . In frustration, I scooped Soojung's body in the bed surprising her and made our way outside the room as I carry her bridal style. Her arms looping in my neck for support while we walk going to the kitchen crossing the courtyard to the main house.


"Are you okay? Does it hurt?" I whispered softly at her while she buried her face on my chest. We already entered the house and went straight to the kitchen and fumbled on the light switch. I placed her gently on the kitchen counter and I saw her wince again.


"I'm just a bit s-sore Am. Don't worry it will pass. Let me cook so we can eat and come back to the room after--" she tried to get down on the counter but I stopped her.


"Oh, no you don't. Just stay there and I'll cook the Kimchi Fried rice. Just stay there baby, okay? Don't move, just stay there. Arasso?" I smiled at her then turned my back as I rummage the ref for some ingredients. I also checked the rice cooker and there's still warm rice left.


I whipped up the meal hurriedly knowing that Soojung is hungry. She just gave some directions to me on what to do or sometimes distracting me with her laughter.


After 30 minutes we already have a Kimchi fried rice. I placed the bowl beside Soojung and I started to feed her like a kid. She snatched the spoon on my hands and started to feed me too. We were having a laugh when we heard a loud thud from outside near the kitchen window, like someone rolled down the roof and gasp in pain making us stare at each other on panic...

 

 

 

 

"Who's there!?!"