Basil - 14

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Update juseyo part 3 :D

There you go still in Krystal's POV. 

--------------

 


"Dad!!" I ran to Amber who is docking behind the dining table. Dad was trying to catch her I think judging from how his body is moving. Aunt Jessi was behind him yelling at him to stop.


"Krystal! This guy opened your door and I think he's a thief! Wearing boxers... " He looked at Amber from head to toe and to me. I suddenly got awkward and pulled the hem of my T-shirt down biting my lips.


I looked at Aunt Jessi and she was also looking at what I'm wearing then at Amber. Then it suddenly struck her.


"Oh my!! Taeyeon I think this is a bad time..." She said pulling Dad's arm but he didn't flinch.


"Sir I can explain... I mean A-atty. Jung I can explain.. I-i-i'm your daughter's---"


"Krystal.... At the living room now!!!!" Even though I'm already 25 and living alone I'm still afraid at my Dad. He doesn't get mad easily and doesn't raise his voice at home. He only does it inside the court. But from what's happening right now I think Dad is having a breakdown.


We followed him in the living room, Amber sticking beside me. Dad suddenly turned around startling us and eyed us again. "Put on some decent clothes first, you two and come out in a minute. Understand?!"


I nodded at him and pulled Amber to my room and shut the door. She was moving in a flash wearing her pants forgetting to zip it. I reached for a denim shorts and wore it then tying my hair into a ponytail. Amber was buttoning her linen shirt and I helped her. She was so nervous judging on how her hands tremble while buttoning it.


"Amber.... Look at me.. Am.." I cupped her face and make her look at me. "Relax Am... Come on baby.... Breathe.." she breathe in and out repeatedly then pouted at me with worry in her eyes. I buttoned her skinny pants and tuck the front of her linen shirt inside. I rolled the sleeves up to the middle of her arms.


"That was a bad first impression isn't it?" She said while I reach for a facial wipes and wipe her face with it to take away traces of fluids in there especially on . Gahd.


I brushed her hair with my fingers and I look at my masterpiece. Wow. Hot.


"Just listen to him and answer his questions with clear words. He doesn't like answers that doesn't have a point. And smile, don't worry baby I got your back." I winked at her and pulled her to the door. "Ready, Am?"


She smiled to me and nodded. We went out to the living room where Dad is seating on my beanie near the coffee table watching TV while Aunt Jessi is on the kitchen preparing breakfast. She smiled at me and pointed at Dad.


"Hey Dad..." He turned to me then to Amber then snickered. He's like a kid who got scolded for being naughty. Dad turned off the TV and motioned for the two of us to sit down on the couch while he stood up. Then he started his interrogation....On Amber.


"May I ask who are you young man to my daughter's life? As far as I know, my daughter doesn't have a boyfriend."


"Dad this is--"


"Krystal I'm talking to him." Dad cut me off and I just purse my lips. I looked at Aunt Jessi asking for help and she mouthed "just listen to him". Oh Gosh I don't wanna be late at work.


"S-sir my name is Amber Liu and I'm your daughter's girlfriend. And as far as I know too, your daughter doesn't have a boyfriend." Amber said without a pause. I heard Aunt Jessi giggled and I giggled too because Dad is literally killing Amber with his stares.


I saw him stopped from his tracks and looked at Aunt Jessi who was smirking at him then to me. Then to Amber with wide eyes, okay my Dad looked like an idiot right now.


"Y-youre a girl?! Really?! "


"I am, sir."


"Bwoah!! I thought you said yesterday that you don't have a boyfriend-- er girlfriend Krystal. Are you lying to Dad now?!" He turned to me and sat down again on the beanie. Aunt Jessi went to us and gave us a cup coffee while she gave hot chocolate to Dad. She sat down beside me and smiled at Amber.


"Dad... I wasn't lying to you. And we only got back together last night so that's why I haven't told you. We went home late last night from the bistro that's why I told her to sleep here then we'll go together at work later." That wasn't a lie but not detailed too.


"Okayyyy... So Amber.." he turned to her again and is now smiling. "What do you do for a living? Still studying or finished?"


"Ah...Well.. I just got back from Cambridge a few days ago sir and finished my Masteral. I'm just looking out for my sister's bistro for now because she's advise by her doctor to have a rest.."


"Oh, Jackie's your sister?" Aunt Jessi asked after drinking her milk.


"Yes mam.. then I think I will be working in our company after it. I still have a few weeks to decide if I want a position or not. Or maybe I'll just asked my sister to make me a partner on her bistro and add my share. But I do own some art galleries in Apgujeong and shares of stocks in the market. And my own private savings too so don't worry sir I can support your daughter if we decide to get married."


Aunt Jessi and I looked at each other with amazement at what we heard from Amber. I nudge Amber to look at me and she grinned nervously. "Did I overdo it?" She whispered to me in a low voice while smiling at Dad who had his jaw drop.


"It's the first meeting and you already dropped the M thing!? It hasn't been 24 hours Am!" I hissed at her and smiled at Dad who is now hyperventilating on his seat. He can't believe that this day will come.


"Wae~ I do want to marry you.." she whined at me and I saw Dad recovered from his seat.


Dad cleared his throat and spoke again. "Are you free on Sunday, Amber? Would you like to join our family for lunch? You know... Grilling and maybe some Korean food.."


"O-okay sir... I'll be there. " I smiled at her and held her hand. Dad inviting her to Sunday lunch means he's willing to know this person beside me and welcomes her to our family.


"I'm not angry a while ago Amber. I was just ..... Shocked. Seeing another person inside this apartment. We were going to surprise her with breakfast because I felt bad for teasing her yesterday." Dad grinned at me and stuck out his tongue. Ugggh! If you only knew Dad, she's here in front of you now.


Aunt Jessi giggled and patted my head lovingly "I guess we were the one surprised! I'm sorry I shriek, Taeyeon was going to strangle Amber good thing she's fast and ran around." She reached for Amber and smiled warmly at her "I'm glad to finally meet you Amber.. please take care of my daughter from now on. She's a workaholic and doesn't eat right when she's busy so make sure she does on time. She's a chef but sometimes she's lazy to cook a food for herself."


"Aunt Jessi.." I whined at her like a kid and she just kissed my head and hugged me. I came to love her hugs and affection to me, sometimes I feel like she's my real mother. A lot of people say we do look alike and they thought I'm her real daughter.


"Let's eat breakfast now guys.. we brought your favorite bread." Dad said and stood up patting Amber's shoulders.


"There's bacon, sausage, and egg too. I raided your pantry and it's still full! Come on!" She and Dad went on first to the dining table while Amber and I follow them. Amber lean on me and whispered.


"I survived it, aren't I?" She grinned at me making me gave her a kiss on her lips.


"You did baby. I know he likes you for his Princess."


"I can breathe freely now. And he looks cool too."


"He's the best I told you."

 

 

Breakfast was fun and full of laughter because of Dad. He kept on telling my embarassing childhood stories to Amber and I counter every thing he says. It was a short visit then Kyuhyun-ssi arrive with Amber's bag. Well more of a luggage because he did brought a lot of Amber's clothes and a separate luggage for his shoes. Amber was so embarrassed when Dad saw it and introduce Kyuhyun-ssi to him. He saved Amber by saying that he always have it in his car when Amber needs it. He also invited him to lunch on Sunday and Kyuhyun-ssi was so happy and accepted it. He excused himself and told us he will be waiting at the car when we're ready.


Dad and Aunt Jessi said their goodbyes then Aunt Jessi whispered to me while hugging me. "Krys.. you're Dad whispered to me a while ago asking if you had . Because you're wearing your T-shirt backwards and the two of you smells when you went out the room."


"Just tell him yes because I know he's been waiting to hear that his daughter has a normal life now." I smirked at her and we laughed at it.


"I know, my God! Your father's afraid you're going to be celibate for life. Sometimes I don't know if your Dad is stupid or what. Some Dads dread that word when they talk about their daughter. But your Dad is something tsk tsk. He's concern about if you're having it! And now hearing the word 'Marriage' actually shocked him."


"Don't worry Aunt Jessi and we're going to take it slow right now. We got a long way to go and Amber said she does have a plan but not now maybe someday in the near future."

 

 

 

Days passed by and we started to know each other along the way. Amber is a very friendly and kind person. Even if her family belongs to the elite she doesn't go around and talk about it. She said it's not her riches, it was her Dad and Mom's that's why she had her personal secret account. Kyuhyun-ssi manages her art galleries, they were partners on it because she said she wanted to give him something to do and practice what he studied before.


She's managing the bistro so well with help from Victoria who helped her understand how to manage a restaurant. The staff loves her and respects her, she wanted to be treated as equal. She enjoys the crowd because apparently this is the first time that she is surrounded by a group of people who treats her like a true friend. She didn't have any playmates when she was a kid and being popular back in high school doesn't really mean having friends because they only hang out with her so that they can attend parties at their mansion. And when she went to college here in Korea, her mother restricted her to make friends and just study, being guarded all the time. Kyuhyun-ssi was the only friend she has then.

 

 

Amber's POV


Every day I spent with her was special. It makes me forget about my worries about the decision I have to make. Mom gave me an ultimatum and I have to give my answer to her immediately because Grandma Lee is patiently waiting for it.


They raised me to be the next leader after Grandma Lee steps down. Although I have uncle's on my mother's side but they are just her cousins. And it's also the reason why Jackie made the decision to marry Bryan. She doesn't want to be involve in what the company does.


I'm not proud of it either. And I want to live a normal life away from it. My parents may look like a normal rich socialite couple giving charity to those in needs and attends parties and donates big sum of money to orphanages and religious houses. They are being praised for being respected and nice, giving citizens of Korea but what they don't know is... They've been fooled.


Like what I said before, Grandma's family controls the government. Some shady dealings are made inside the walls of her private 'palace' in Busan. Ministers and secretaries go to her 'palace' and talk to her about how the government is doing, who made a speech in the House, and who is doing their job in making our family richer by getting money from the nation. It was like she was the Queen of Silla, Koguryeo, and Baekje.


Even the President and Prime Minister bows to her. I saw it once when I visited her years ago when I went back from New York. I didn't knew about it before and that was the first time that I learned about it. I asked Kyuhyun if he knows something and he bowed down his head in shame and said yes.


He told me Grandma's family riches are centuries old. Way back to the Joseon Dynasty, where our ancestor was a Minister by the King and handles the financial matters of the kingdom. Because that ancestor was slick and very much intelligent, he set aside money from the coffers of the kingdom to his personal coffers. Then he used it to pay some ministers and eunuchs to his own advantage. He supported the new King and gave money to help the kingdom in exchange of the usual position he handles. He became powerful, like a key player in the kingdom. And it made the family untouchable. That riches was protected by the family for centuries, and all the wars that followed.


Since our family is powerful no one dared to touch us. Where there's war, the gates of the ancestral house is being marked with a drawing of a dragon. It means not to touch this property or family. Even when the WWII happened, Kyuhyun said our family was safe and eating well than the poor people who suffered from the Japanese rule. Even survived the Korean War without damages.


Although my family helped build the nation again by contributing money after that war, of course there is a catch. That's where our family gets its profits. Like now, our construction and development company is always being rewarded government projects that costs triple than the usual amount.


Dad said I should get use to it because he did. Even though he wants to get out of their marriage, he can't. Because Grandma Lee will get him killed for knowing a lot. Dad's family is oldmoney too from China but nothing compared to Mom's family. It was just an arranged marriage for the two of them because of business partnership between the two corporations.


Mom made me study business because she said I needed it when I become involved with the company. But I know the truth like the back of my hands. It's just a front, because even if I don't study business the company will still fluorish.


I asked Krys for an advise one night while we're out on a date. We were walking hand in hand on the park at Han river. It became our ritual before going home from work because we get to relax and spend some quiet time like what normal couples do. I drive her scooter with her clinging on my back, of course with Kyuhyun trailing us. But he gives us private time and does his own exploring.


"Krys... I just don't know what to do anymore. I know it's my duty as her grand daughter but it's too much to handle."


I heard her took a deep breath and squeezed my hand while we are walking "Tell me, what does your heart say Amber?"


"It says KRYSTAL JUNG BADUMP BADUMP!?!" I joked at her to hide my misery.


"Stupid! I know I'm always there! But not that! What I mean is what does your heart say about your situation?"


"They raised me from the start with that vision. Being a leader with my sister. Since Jackie backed out, it left me sole heir to her company. I don't want to do it, at the same time I have to do it."


"Where's that confident llama that I know? Cheer up baby! You're going to do fine..." She stopped and faced me "Tell me, what do you see on our future?"


I looked into her eyes full of love and trust and I saw myself being by her side. Having a family and being happy with whatever we have, surrounded by her family and our friends. Little kids running around us while we sit on the grass and I cradle her pregnant belly. A simple house, a simple life. I smiled at her and gave her a lingering kiss.


"Now that you have seen our future, don't tell it to me. Keep it, make it a deciding factor on what you have to tell them." She said she we broke the kiss our foreheads touching.


"I will baby, I've come to a decision."


She smiled at me lovingly and held my face. Making me feel that she trust whatever I have in my mind. She's all I want in this world and I'll do everything not to be apart from her again.


"Good... Because I'm going to support your decision Am. Whatever it is."