Basil - 8

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Hi guys! 2nd update is here. This is Amber's side of the story. And I hope Amber is fine in real life. 😥 

Do you want them to meet already? I'm still thinking about it hehehe.... 😏

Thank you to all our subscribers and readers. Please do share your sentiments on our comment box. Be it about the story or about f(x). 

And in a side note, my ear infection is healing well. I just went to the doctor yesterday and is now on antibiotics. And I managed to finish the 2 chapters while waiting for my doctor to arrive haha. 

Subscribe, comment, holler! 

Ciao! ✌

------------------

 

 

 


Amber's POV


I remembered having a heavy heart parting with her. Or should I say, she brought with her my heart. My father's assistant, Kyuhyun appeared on the airport telling me that my Dad and Mom is already waiting for me. They made sure I'll come straight home sending our private plane. I hate this.


Going home to Korea means saying yes to all they want me to do. Actually, saying yes to what my Mom wants me to do. Dad doesn't have a say in all, he just always say yes to what Mom wants. They fight like there's no tomorrow.


She wants me to study Business in Korea so that she can monitor what I am doing. When I was in L. A. the one who watches over me is Kyuhyun. He's the one who reports to my Mom about my whereabouts and what I do. He's also my tutor and my Butler, plus my driver. He's also the one who broke the news to my parents that I swing the other way and there's no way i'll be change. Well actually, I told him to tell that to them before they scheme any arrange marriage for me.


My Mom's family controls the government of South Korea discreetly. Discreetly by the means of having people on the right post in the government and controlling them without anyone knowing. They have the money and the power without flaunting it. There's the new society who flaunts their newly acquired riches or more known as new money. My mother's family belong to the old money crowd, the old society who has riches beyond your imagination and has been in the family for ages. It's a society inside a society, and I don't give a about that.


My Grandma heads their family. I'm her favorite grand daughter, because she doesn't have a grandson. Mom was her only daughter and his son died when he was little. So it's just me and my older sister Jackie.


Why am I being monitored? Well, because my brilliant older sister Jackie suddenly married her college boyfriend so that Mom will not have any reason to arrange a marriage for her. Let alone be tied in handling our company. That's why I am the casualty, my sister was apologetic but I understand her. She loves her husband Bryan very much and she wants a peaceful life away from Mom.


Every school break in the past 4 years that I studied, I secretly borrow our plane and carry Kyuhyun along to Italy to search for her. Stupid me, I didn't ask her what part of Italy she is going. So Kyuhyun and I embark on a quest going to different culinary school in Italy just to find her. The first year we went to Naples and Milan. The second year was in Venice, the third in Tuscany. The fourth year we went to Florence. I know I'm in the right place but I don't know where to find her. We searched for days and went to different culinary Institute just to look for her. Language barrier is also a problem. The last Institute we went to, the graduation just finished so we don't have a way of knowing if she's there.


It got me thinking, 4 years just passed. And if she's going to graduate she'll be back in Korea. It will be much easier to look for her there. Who knows, I might bump into her just walking in Gangnam or in the subway (which I don't use) or the bus station (which I don't use too).


I miss her. So much. Terribly much. I miss her scent and it makes me crazy not knowing where we will meet again. I miss her smile, even though it's embedded on my mind. I miss her kiss and I miss her whole being.


I asked Kyuhyun to accompany me to New York for just a day. I just wanted to clear my mind but the truth is, I was hoping to see her on the places we went to before hoping to see her there. It was a wishful thinking, but who cares?


We went to the Italian diner because I want to taste the Pesto Ravioli again. The lady owner recognized me and told me my 'girlfriend' just left 30 minutes ago waiting for me.

 


30 freaking minutes ago.

 


She was here 30 ing minutes ago!!!!


And she's leaving again to the airport going home in Korea. I immediately stood up and went out the diner with Kyuhyun trailing me and hailed a cab going to the airport. Praying to the heavens that she's still there. We arrived at the airport but it was too late, the last flight for the day going to Korea already flew just minutes ago. Thinking that we can race it, Kyuhyun ordered our pilot to ready the plane and we flew to Korea hoping that I can see her on the airport. But of course, I didn't saw her.


But atleast I know that she came...


And she's alive... The lady said she became more beautiful, more beautiful than we first met. And she was waiting for me. Kyuhyun for tripping and tumbling down on the steps of The Met! If not, I might have seen her again.


I thought being home in Korea, I already had a chance to look for her. But then again, it didn't happen. My brilliant mother sent me to Cambridge to take up my Masteral course. It wasn't a request, it was an order.


Why oh why, Universe! What are you conspiring? I have waited 4 years just to see her but you Universe made me missed her for just a mere 30 minutes. Maybe if I just ed it and followed her to Italy back then, I wouldn't be this crazy thinking about her and missing her.


I made a proposition to my Mom. I will study in Cambridge but after I graduate, I will handle my own life and she will not have a say at whatever I do with it. I will fulfill my duties in the company but I will choose whom I want to be together. Surprisingly, she agreed. It's suspicious but, it's better than not agreeing.


My sister Jackie said I'm crazy. She knows about the girl, what happened in New York minus the.... ehem. She knows about my secret flights to Italy just looking for the girl who claimed my heart and never gave it back bringing it to Italy and now back home in Korea. She called me stupid for not getting the girl's name and where in Italy she went. I was young and head over heels inlove, I just said yes to what she wanted.


I spent three years in Cambridge studying, with the motivation of I will see her again in Korea. I shut off all the distractions, I just studied and studied. I dream of her every ing night. I dream of her holding my hands and whispering her name in my ears but everytime it happens I don't remember it when I wake up. Weird.


I dream of her while we make love.... I dream of hearing her voice, her moans while I take her to ecstasy, her touches, her kiss, her scent. Like it's real but whenever I wake up drenched in sweat, she's not beside me. Making me take a cold shower every ing time it happens.


Jackie opened a restaurant in Apgujeong while I was in Cambridge. She said it's doing good and I'm happy for her. She is really happy with her life right now, doing what she wants. I'll have a chance to do that too after Cambridge and I can't wait to go home in Korea.

 

 

 

Present Time

 


I just arrived in Seoul straight from London and went straight to my apartment. I don't want to see my parents right now. I just want to sleep without my mother's nagging voice in my mind. My phone suddenly rang and I know who it is judging on the special ringtone I set for her.


I disregarded it, reminding myself to call her back. But she's so persistent I wanna choke my sister even if she's older than me. I answered the call after 3 rings.


"Jackie.... Better have a good reason right now on why you are so ing persistent to talk to me. Don't you know the word 'jet lag'? Because that's the perfect word right now." I said to her without giving her the chance to say hello. I buried my face under the pillows wanting it's warmth.


She chuckled on the other line and I know she's smiling. "Well hello there too my sister! And by the way, I called because I just want to greet you, 'Welcome back'! and also to tell you that you're going to be an Aunt."


The last word got me sitting on my bed with a wide smile on my face. "Y-youre pregnant?!"


"Yes, I am finally pregnant!"


"Oh my God Jackie! I'm gonna be an Aunt!"


"Yes you are Llama! And because of that I need your teeny weeny help.." she said making her voice cute. Uggh! So this is why she called.


"So that's why you are persistent huh? You have a favor.... What if I say no?"


"You'll never see your future nephew or niece."


"That's so bad Jackie. Don't do that."


"It's just a simple favor Amber, you can do it. And I know you love me~ I'm your favorite sister~"


"You're my only sister, silly."


She laughed loudly making me cover my ears. She didn't changed a bit.


"I need you to manage my bistro for a few months. The doctor advise me to have a bed rest because it's a delicate pregnancy. Please? For the sake of your future niece or nephew whatever?"


Do I have any choice?


Sighing, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. There goes my plan on searching for her everyday on Seoul.


"Fine Jackie.... I will. But please let me rest for just a day or two. And I need to make an appearance first to Mom and Dad. Do they know that you're pregnant?"


"I told them about it and Dad's very happy and excited. Mom is so-so.... You know her, very unpredictable. Sooooo...."


"Okay I will. I will be there after two days.." I need a sleep because atleast if i'm asleep, I'll see her in my dreams.


"Good! I'm telling my Maître d and Head Chef about you coming there. Be good to them, okay? Victoria can guide you on what to do. Chef Krystal is the best chef you'll ever met, she makes fantastic Pesto." Oooohhhh Pestoooo...


"Understood Jackie.... Anything else?" I asked her getting ready to end the conversation. Come on Jackie... Got to meet my Princess on my dreams.


"Be easy on Chef Krystal, she's not like the other girls. She's a nice girl and very talented. Don't her, I repeat -- don't put her in your list. Understood, Amber?" What does she think of me!? Some hooker or something? I've change... A long time ago.


"Yes. Anything else Jackie? I need to sleep.."


"And I love you Amber ~" She cooed to me and made me chuckle.


"Love you too Jack."

 

After 2 days

Jackie's Bistro


I went to the bistro at Apgujeong around lunchtime. It was crowded, full house and there's still a line of people waiting to be seated. Luckily, Jackie already made reservations for me and informed Victoria about my arrival.


Victoria greeted me discreetly when I entered the place. I think Jackie showed my photo to her because she already knew who I am upon entering the door and greeting me by my last name. I ask her to treat me like a customer and I would like to order lunch too.


"Ms. Liu, welcome to Jackie's Bistro. I'll show you to your table.." she guided me on a table far from the crowd and sat down eyeing the place. It was my first time coming here. Jackie opened this when I was starting in Cambridge.


"Victoria, please call me Amber I insist. I'll just order the specialty of the bistro. What do you suggest?"


"I'll suggest Baked Pesto Ravioli and a nice glass of white wine made from Ligurian Vermentino, It compliments the taste of the Pesto. And also an Antipasti of Prosciutto, Olives, and cheese. How does that sound?" She said with a warm smile on her lips.


"Okay that's perfect! I love Pesto by the way. Can you ask the chef to add more Pesto sauce?"


"Consider it done Amber. I'm glad your sister Jackie convinced you to stay with us even for a while. Your sister needs the rest badly, they tried for years just to have a baby."


"I'm glad too. And I'm excited to work with all of you here. Maybe we can have a meeting later, after the lunch hour? "


"Sure, I'll tell them all. I'll have Luna serve your wine. Enjoy your lunch Amber! Just call me if you need anything." I nodded at her and she excused herself going to other guests tables. She seems very hardworking and knowledgeable about her work. No wonder Jackie trusts her.


A bubbly looking short girl came into my table and served my white wine and Antipasti. She was eyeing me and I smiled at her.


"This is one of our best wines here sir, recommended by our Chef and perfect with your Antipasti and Pesto. My name is Luna and just call me if you need anything."


"Thank you, Luna." She bowed to me and turned her back. I called her again to clear something "Ah, Luna.." She turned around and faced me again still with a smile on her face.


"I'm a girl.." Her jaw dropped but she immediately covered with her hand.


"Oh my God.. I'm sorry si-- er mam?" I softly laughed at her surprise and gave her a smile.


"That's okay... I get that a lot. You may go now Luna. Sorry for surprising you.." She smiled apologetically and bowed again leaving to the kitchen maybe.


Well I'm just clarifying everything before they think that I'm a guy. I always get mistaken as a guy, especially in Cambridge where the student population really thought I was.


I was enjoying my cheese and olives while looking at the surroundings. Jackie did a wonderful job in here and all her staff looks efficient. They have a warm smile on their faces making them approachable and all good looking too. They look like those Kpop idols that I see on the billboards.


A few minutes after, Luna came with my order. It was served before me and my mouth started to water just by smelling the aroma of the food. The Pesto sauce smells so good! And instead of pouring my extra sauce request in the pasta, they placed it in a sauce dish. Very good service indeed.


"Your order mam, Baked Pesto Ravioli with extra Pesto sauce in the side. Chef Krystal said that she didn't add the extra sauce in your ravioli because it's much better if you will be the one to add it in your pasta. So that you will know if it's enough to your liking." She poured some white wine in my glass and placed the bottle in my table.


It's mouth watering and it's teasing my senses. I took a fork and dig in on the sumptuous treat before me. It was still smoking hot so I blew on the piece of ravioli first then scoop a small portion of the pesto sauce on it. Knowing that it's already fine enough for consumption, I placed it on my mouth and was surprised.


It was good! The flavor bursting in my mouth, making me remember her voice a long time ago while she enumerates to me the ingredients of a pesto sauce. Basil, pine nuts, olive oil, roasted garlic, parmesan cheese and the texture is perfect. Like what we had in the Italian diner, it's not a paste-like mixture. It was perfect.


"It's good, isn't it? Our pesto sauce is delicately prepared by Chef Krystal personally. It's her signature dish and she hand chopped the ingredients to get the perfect Italian taste and texture, no using of food processor or blender. She also makes a killer Bolognese and Risotto." Luna said to me with pride. Jackie hired a very good chef I suppose. The food taste fantastic! I better bring my Princess here once I found her. She'll love it!


"Please tell Chef Krystal that the Pesto is perfect. Or better yet, if she's available right now maybe I can see her and give the compliments personally?" I asked Luna who looks like she's thinking about what to say.


"Ah... Well... Chef Krystal is a bit busy right now. If you want, you can tell it to her personally after the lunch hour? She'll be ecstatic to hear that her Pesto sauce is being praise. It's her pride actually."


"Sure! I'll be staying until later. I'll enjoy the food and please send my thanks to her!" I chirped at her giving my toothy grin.

 

 

 

 


I didn't know that Universe has already conspired to do something for us to meet.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------

Krystal got me on the Pesto 💜💜💜 

Speaking of Amber, I'm alarmed with her recent IG post and I hope everything will be cleared and f(x) be treated well and not like a piece of . For me, they are the best Kpop girlband ever! Amber is a very talented singer, rapper, and song writer. Being upset is understandable knowing that SM doesn't even promote them thoroughly. And the comeback hasn't materialize until now, making the 4 of them frustrated. SM has to give her a good bargaining agreement or else.. tsk tsk. I dont want to think about it.