Kimchi - 31

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Hi guys! Another update for today :) It's the most awaited meet up of Mrs. Liu and Krystal Jung. Who will win? Who will bow down? 

Well the only way to know is to read it! 

Thank you to all our subscribers and readers who are still following this story. Knowing that someone reads this makes me happy because I get to share my love in writing. 

Subscribe, comment, holler! 

Ciao! ✌

------------

 

Krystal's POV

 


It's already our 3rd day on the residence when someone suddenly made a surprise visit. Grandma sent a message to us that we remain inside and avoid be seen until she had confronted her daughter about what she has been doing to Amber's business.


Mrs. Liu was in the Main Hall with Grandma that's why Amber and I didn't dare go out of our room until Grandma says so. Our breakfast was served inside our room and once we were finish with it Grandma's assistant came with a message from her again.


"Young master, your Grandmother asked for you and Ms. Krystal's presence in the Main hall."


"Tell me, is my mother also waiting for us there?" I saw Amber's expression soften upon the mention of her mother.


"Ne Young master. And your father too. If the two of you are ready, I will accompany them to the Main hall."


"Just give us a few minutes and we will come out." Grandma's assistant said yes from outside the room. Amber looked at me like trying to ask if I'm okay with it and I just smiled at her with the look telling her it's alright.


This is the time I've been waiting for. I'll gonna make sure Mrs. Liu will stop doing those stupid things to her daughter.


Like the previous days she helped me to wear the Hanbok and we chose the most beautiful one because I wanna show her mom that Grandma favors me for her daughter.


As we walk hand in hand in the courtyard I can feel my heart beating fast, anticipating the much awaited meeting with Mrs. Liu. I know, we've met before in Jackie's Bistro some time ago but it's different from what will happen today. I tighten my hold on Amber's hand trying to get my much needed power boost.


We entered the hall and saw Grandma sitting at the head of the table with Mr. & Mrs. Liu at her right having tea and cookies.


"Krys, are you ready to meet her? You can still back out if you want.." Amber whispered to me looking straight ahead while we walk to the elders.


"Am who said I'm backing out? Let's get this meeting started!" I whispered at her with a smirk on mouth. I feel pump up and confident. I want to talk to Mrs. Liu and just get her to realize that she's hurting Amber with her little incidents of threatening clients and ruining the gallery.


Grandma was the first to notice us and stood up from her seat to welcome me and Amber. I bowed to her with a smile on my face and greeted her a good morning while Amber greeted her parents. Grandma patted my back admiring the Hanbok I am wearing with a joyful smile on her face. I turned to Amber's parents and greeted Papa Liu. I can feel Mrs. Liu staring at my Hanbok with a furious look in her eyes.


What now?! I thought Grandma said the Hanboks are Amber's. Don't tell me she wants those too!


"Mother! Why is she wearing your collection? "


"Good day to you too Mrs. Liu, Papa Liu." I smiled at Papa Liu and he nodded and waved his hand telling me to sit down.


"How are you Krystal? Last time we saw each other was when Jackie gave birth." He turned to Amber and looked at his daughter fondly "and you too little llama how are you?" I noticed Papa Liu is purposely ignoring his wife's whining beside him. He really is immune now to her mood swings.


Our eyes met and I smiled sweetly to my crazy future mother in-law that made her more furious. Really.... Maybe she needs counseling because based on the way she looks at me, if she won't control her emotions she's going to lose it.


"Mrs. Liu..." I greeted her but she ignored it and turned her head to Grandma still waiting for her response. Amber interlocked our hands under the table and gave me a squeeze.


The more I look at Mrs. Liu's face the more I see her resemblance to a famous actress. What was her name? Choi something.. Ah.. Choi Ji Woo! She is really beautiful and her figure is no joke. She might be in her late 40s or early 50s now but her body is well maintained. Maybe she has a regular trainer. But she has to erase that frown on her face because she's going to get some wrinkles.


"Mother!--"


"Chae Young-ah, I gave the Hanboks to her. Amber won't wear it so I gave it to Krystal. She's going to be part of this family soon so why not?"


"That's your expensive collection Mother! I asked for it once but you didn't give it to me."


Amber cleared and spoke softly to her Mother "Mom, Grandma made her wear the Hanbok because we didn't bring clothes when we went here. If you want, you can have it after. Geez.."


"Amber and I will go to the Mall downtown and buy some clothes Mrs. Liu.."


"I'll go with you and Amber. I haven't been to the Mall for a long time. Maybe you can treat Grandma a serving of Bingsu, Soojung?" I grinned at Grandma with a smile and nodded.


"You should have thought about that earlier in the first place." She has this disapproving look in her face that I wanted to wipe away. Krystal control yourself, think about respect for elders. Remember your Dad's guidance and words.


"Mom, why are you acting like that to Krystal? She didn't do anything to you, you are the one who did something to her. We're engaged so stop it now." I'll just listen to them for now and just give a piece of my mind if needed. Amber has been holding my hand tightly and I know she's just controlling her emotions.


"She took you away from me, that's why. Do you think I don't know what you did back then?! You secretly use our jet just to go to Italy and meet that girl every school break!"


"I was looking for her and we met again in Jackie's Bistro mom. And it wasn't completely a secret, I ask Dad for permission to use the jet." Amber said shrugging her shoulders and I saw Papa Liu winked at her.


"I don't care. You still did those things. You don't even listen to me anymore! I told you then that the priority is the company but what did you do? You forfeited your rights Amber!"


I took a sip of my tea with my free hand and took a glance at Amber beside me. She also turned her face to me and gave me a small smile like telling she's okay.


"Chae Young your daughter is old enough to do what she wants. She's not a kid anymore that you can dictate what she has to do. It's her choice so respect it." Papa Liu said placing his cup of tea on the table.


Grandma was just listening to the conversation like me and not giving some comments. It's like she's giving her daughter a chance to vent out her feelings and also for me to see what kind of mother in-law I'll be dealing with.


"Mom.. I told you I don't want it. I'm doing okay at the bistro now. Jackie made me her co-owner and I invested a little, and the gallery is doing good too. But please, stop doing that unpleasant things to my gallery."


"I told you, you don't need that stupid gallery. You can just handle the construction company and live your life without a hassle. That art dealer of yours is easy to scare do you know that? He said yes in a flash.." I thought she's going to deny it but Mrs. Liu is really one of a kind. I made a side glance at my girlfriend and I saw her bit her lips in frustration.


"Who won't say yes if your family's life is being threatened!"


"Am... " I instinctively held her shoulders for her to relax. I've never seen or heard Amber raise her voice ever since we got together. She was always patient and understanding and never raise her voice in people or arguments. Her mother is really testing her limits and she knows how to drive her daughter to the edge.


"Who said I threatened him? I just gave him a choice that's all.." Mrs. Liu smirked at her daughter's direction and sipped her tea. "And besides, if you are really good in what you are doing you can still get another art dealer that's more better and will bring you more profit--"


"I don't need more profit mother. What I need are trusted people who does their job because they love it. If you are suggesting your 'black market friends' then no, I don't need them."


"Then you're stupid to think of that Amber."


"Mother!!" I pulled Amber down to her seat when she tried to stand up. Maybe it's time to speak up now and cut this bull out. I held both her hands to calm her down and gave her the 'shut-up-i'll-handle-this-look' .


I cleared my throat and looked directly at Mrs. Liu who has a smug smile in her face. She's enjoying this I believe.


"With all due respect Mrs. Liu, what Amber mean is she doesn't need your help about it and she can get another art dealer who has a clean reputation in the art scene. And it's not a stupid move if she doesn't think that she needs more profit. Who wouldn't want to have a big profit while doing what you love? The thing is, she's happy with what she is earning now and she enjoys what she do. This is what your daughter loves to do so please just help her by being happy and proud, and stop doing those cheap tricks you pull on your sleeve."


"Why you!--"


"Paying some lowlives to trash the front of the gallery? Even breaking the display window? That's so cheap... New York gangsters are way better than that. But I'm not saying you raise it to the next level because she already asked Bryan for help. What I'm trying to say is, please just stop all of it and give Amber the peace of mind she deserves. Even though you have been doing that she can't make herself go to the police and raise a complaint. Because she wants to resolve the issue peacefully with you. "


"You don't have the right to tell me that! You're just a girl she met somewhere who has a mother who left you and exchange you for fame and money!"


"Stop that mom! You're crossing the line!" I heard a loud slap on the table and I saw how furious Amber look.


I know Mrs. Liu will use that information against me and I don't care if she does. That's the only thing she can dig about my personal life because I'm a pretty boring person.


"Mrs. Liu, Grandma... I admit my mother did do such things and it's because she was blinded by what it offers. But she already came to me with the help of your daughter and told me the reason she did that years ago. We already forgave each other and she's living a contented and happy life now with her friend. If you thought you'll hurt me by saying those things, sorry. But I'm not buying it." I gave an apologizing look at Papa Liu and Grandma for talking like that.


"We are talking about Amber here and I know how much you love your daughter but I love her too and I'm not gonna let you talk to her like she's a failure in life for not following your orders." I can feel Amber staring at me that's why I turned to her. Her expression shows how much she admire my boldness in giving her mother a piece of my mind. I stared deep in her eyes and faked an annoyed face smiling "I do agree that your daughter is stupid in some minor day to day aspects of our life.." she snorted at me with a small smile in her face.


"But still.." I turned to Mrs. Liu and gave her a determined smile. "It's one of her flaws that I came to accept and love the most about her. I'm proud of her for standing tall on her decision and not be affected of your ways. So please respect your daughter and her choices in life. That's all, thank you."


And then there was silence.


I don't know what is running in Mrs. Liu's mind now but I wish that whatever it is, it better be a good one. She's staring straight at me with a frown on her face like trying to read what is on my mind and how I can say those things to her without any butterflies in my stomach.


But the truth is, there's a bunch of butterflies fluttering their wings inside my stomach while delivering that speech but I just didn't care because if I let it affect me I'll surely falter and fail on saying what I truly feel. I need her to understand that her daughter is a person with free will not a pet dog you can teach tricks and obey your orders even though it's stupid.


"Your daughter is a wonderful and kind hearted person with a big heart Mrs. Liu who is selfless and cares about her friends, love ones, and other people she meet on the streets. That's why I love her and wouldn't trade her for anything or anyone else." There was this positive energy flowing inside me making me feel good and proud of myself. I never thought I can say those things to her but I did and I'm relieved because I don't have to keep it inside anymore. I already said what's on my mind and I don't regret saying it. We are in our own world now, with Amber beside me holding my hands and looking at me with those adoring, loving eyes and me staring back at her with that look she knows I only have for her - I know it's all worth it.


We heard Grandma cleared , making us go back to reality with a triumpant smile on our faces. "Do you have anything more to say Chae Young?" Mrs. Liu didn't answer Grandma that's why she took it as a no. Papa Liu just smiled and shook his head to his mother in-law indicating that he doesn't have anything to say because obviously it's not his war. He was just there to support his daughter and me. "If nothing else is to be said, then I will take my rest now. And Chae Young,.." Mrs. Liu turned to her mother waiting for what she will say "I want you to stop everything now. Don't bother your daughter anymore because she can't go back being a candidate on the leadership. It's all on the contract of forfeiture she sign. It can't be cancelled or turned. If you really want the leadership, work hard for it and prove to me that you deserve it. It's not too late Chae Young, it's not too late to change." Grandma motioned for me to help her get up so I stood from my seat and bowed to Papa Liu and Mrs. Liu then went to her with Amber behind me.


"Soojung, you and Amber take a rest first too then I'll send my assistant later to summon the two of you and we will go to Shinsegae and Lotte for shopping. Kaja!" We were leading her out of the hall when Mrs. Liu suddenly called me.


"Krystal Jung.. how much do you want to leave my daughter and give her back to the life I prepared for her?"


I turned to Amber and gave her a wink with a y smirk on my face before turning back to Mrs. Liu with me smiling smugly. "I'm sorry Mrs. Liu but we're stuck together ..."

 

 

 

 


"And my love for your daughter is priceless."