Epilogue

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: As the story ends, their life continues. 

-----------

 

Epilogue

 

"UNNIEEEEE!!!!!" Yoona's loud screech echoed in the kitchen making me cringe. I was busy preparing their snacks when my very loud and hyperactive dongsaeng came in running and panting in front of me.


"UNNI-- hmmmp!!!!!!" I stuffed a muffin in to muffle her screech. Time flies really fast.. she and Seohyun are already 12 and grew up very pretty like Eomma.


Speaking of Seohyun, she was walking behind her loud mouth twin looking prim and proper. "I'm sorry unnie... I told her to tone down but you know Yoonie, the more you tell her to keep quiet the more she gets loud."


Yoona swallowed the muffin she was chewing and turned to her twin "Yah! I'm not like that! Are you really my twin?!"


"As far as I know, yes the two of you are twins. I was there in the hospital when it happened." I shrugged at them giving a knowing look. Yeah... I vividly remember that night 12 years ago ha ha ha...


Yoona emits this happy-go-lucky persona, always cheery and supportive. Her trademark is her alligator smile that can make any person smile too. While Seohyun, like what I said, prim and proper. With the right dose of finesse like Eomma, with an enigmatic smile and charm of her own. They're both nice and kind-hearted girls that at their age right now, have their own fanboys and suitors that range from 14 to 18 years old.


Dad's going crazy fending off their fanboys telling them that his daughters are just 12. I laughed at that and told him at least he didn't have a problem with me before. I also have fanboys back in High School but not this intense and aggressive as what they have. I think Dad is going bald because of it.


Dad and Eomma tied the knot a year after Amber and I got married in New York. She and Dad will leave the baby twins to our house early in the morning, then Amber and I will bring them to the bistro with us. Amber took care of them in the office while I work in the kitchen. Eomma will visit them after our lunch hour then will get back to the office. Before the dinner hour starts, she and Dad will arrive to fetch them before going home.


It was hard, like playing house and all. Add to it that I was already pregnant by that time. We were just so lucky to have friends who are willing to help us out with taking care of Yoona and Seohyun at that time. Eomma eventually decided to just take a break first from handling cases and take care of the twins until they grow up.


"Unnie!! Wait!! I'm here because of JOEY!" My ears perk up upon hearing the name of my eldest.


"Bwoah?! What about Joey? I told you to look after your nephew.. what did he do this time?" I continued on mixing the cookie dough then scooped it one by one placing it on the sheet.


"UNNIE!! Will you stop doing that! Your son flew to the lake!" Yoona said with widen eyes clenching her teeth. 


"What?!"


Seohyun flipped her hair dramatically and rolled her eyes at Yoona. "Unnie, what Yoona means is Joey jumped to the lake without floaters."


"Oh... Okay... " I looked at Seohyun digesting what she said. Joey jumped on the lake without floaters. A typical kid trying to impress people with his swimming skills.


His swimming skills.....


"WHAT!!!!!!!?????" !! NO WAY!!


I hurriedly took off my apron and threw it at the table. "WHY DID YOU LET HIM JUMP ON THE LAKE?! YOU KNOW IT'S DANGEROUS AND HE'S STILL LEARNING TO SWIM!!! FOR PETE'S SAKE!" I carefully ran in the direction of the lake with the twins following me.


By the way, wanna know where we are?


Yep, we're in Grandma's house in Busan. It's school break so we decided to spend our vacation here. Yoona and Seohyun tagged along because they love it here and because our parents are on the 7-day Caribbean cruise that's why the 2 not-so-little monsters are left to our care.


We spend our vacations here and any weekend that we can be free, the kids love it and I miss Grandma so much.


Grandma Lee suffered a 2 years after the twins were born. I decided to take a break at the bistro and let Byul handle the kitchen so that Amber and I can take care of Grandma. We moved temporarily to Busan for 3 years to nurse her to health but it was never the same. Jackie and Bryan visit her every week with Patrick in tow just to spend time with his Grandnana. The twins gave her happiness on her remaining days.


Grandma took a long rest and went on the other side with a smile on her face, surrounded by people who love her unconditionally. Chairman Hwang never failed to visit her when she got sick and I found out from my Grandfather that Grandma Lee was his first love. They already had an understanding when they are young but Grandma was suddenly married off to Amber's Grandfather. It broke Grandpa's heart and he too was married off to my Grandmother. Even though they didn't end up together, they treasured their friendship until Grandma's last breath.

tumblr_static_ef2wtbpw4tssso4ww4cg4gk8k.jpg

d671aaece4be8bc898f2b81357eecde2.jpg

 


Chairman Hwang cried on Grandma's burial and stood in front of her tomb offering a bouquet of buckwheat and lisianthus flowers. I found out later on that it was Grandma's favorite flowers, a symbol of their unchanging love for each other and a promise that they will be together again in their next life. He bought the next lots beside Grandma and had it planted with beds of buckwheat and lisianthus. His tomb is also ready beside his love waiting for his time to rest beside her.


When Chairman Hwang found out that Amber is my fiancée, Mom said he was emotional and cried like a kid in his office. Because it was Amber and me who continued their love story that was cut off. It was why Chairman Hwang was very happy and emotional when he attended our ceremony, a piece of information I just found out from him on Grandma's wake. Watching us exchange rings and vows to each other, he can't help but look at Grandma who was also looking at him that day and they smiled at each other. Knowing that finally their families are one.


I never thought that Grandma loves me that much and treasured me to the point that she will name me as the next owner of her property when the will was read two days after her burial. Patrick will be the heir and head of the family while our twins also had a fair share. Amber didn't care about the share, what she cares about is the house. Now, I'm the owner of this magnificent property.

 

 

My legs are striding on the courtyard proceeding to the pathway taking us to the lake. Good thing that I still have the stamina of a 20 year old I can still run without losing my breath. Thanks to a healthy lifestyle and working out, I still maintain my figure from 12 years ago. Even though I already got pregnant and gave birth, my figure came back and I look young more than ever.


I saw the lake and Amber was already there shouting to our son. I thought she was shouting to him like scolding the boy for jumping in the lake without protection.


But no, she isn't scolding her son. She's even coaxing him to swim deeper. What the hell!!


"Amber!!! Get your son right now! What if he suddenly forgot to swim and drown! You know he's still learning how to swim!" I tried to smack her head but she dodges it. She held my hand tightly and hugged me from behind.


"Finally! You're here Princess! I thought we're gonna wait for you forever."


"YAH! Put down my hands! Amber! Your son is in the middle of the lake!"


"I know, and he got his floaters on." She whistled to our son and the 10-year old boy swam like a fish and went out of the water with a grin similar to his Appa.


"Eomma! Did you see that?! I can swim like a fish now!" Yoona snickered on Joey and clicked her tongue. "More like a llama fish Joey hahaha!!" Yoona laughed hysterically while holding her belly. Seohyun smacked her twin's head to shut her up. Aissshhh these kids...

2a123266257749d6715b0cda84c6ca39.jpg


Joey stuck out his tongue at his aunt whom he shares the same age bracket and ran to me spreading his arms, wrapping it on my waist. Joey likes hugs and being lifted. He buried his face on my shirt, a trait he got from Amber who always buries her face in my hair, my neck, my back, even on my chest and stomach.


I'm being sandwiched now by two llamas and I giggled at their likeness. Joey is the miniature version of his Appa except for the eyes. She got my cat-like eyes, but the whole face structure and mannerisms he got from Amber. I don't know how it happened that we got the same eyes, I consider it a miracle. Joey got Amber's DNA because it's Amber's embryo that was planted to me back then. I carried him and his twin for nine months and it was the most glorious feeling ever. Having 2 lives forming inside me.


"Wait, where's your sister?"


Joey shrugged his shoulders and mumbled "Probably walking around again with a camera on her hands Eomma. She said she'll join us later for a swim." He saw Yoona and Seohyun preparing to get in the water and shouted "Yoona noona, Seo noona, wait for me!" He broke his hug and came running back to the deck, and jumping to the rubber swing Amber installed on the tree beside it. The twins push the rubber to gain momentum and Joey effortlessly dived on the lake. Wow.. who taught him that... Amber chuckled at her son's boldness and fearlessness.


"Princess, if you're thinking who taught him that trick she's here behind you ehem.." I love the feeling of being in her arms. All these years and it still feels like yesterday, it seems like she didn't even age a bit. She still has that same beautiful smile that lights up my world and protective arms I love to wrap around me.


I placed my hand over Amber's and watch the kids play in the water. Joey is so fond of her Aunties very much. He's like the protector of the twins and his own twin. "I wonder where your daughter is? Ever since you gave her that camera all she does is capture everything that she sees as aesthetic. Does she even know what aesthetic means?! I saw her yesterday pointing her camera on a lightbulb in the library."


I feel Amber smiling behind me as she buries her face on my hair "What did you say to her?"


"I asked her why she's taking a photo of the light bulb. She just said it's beautiful... how the bulb illuminates the room. I swear, our daughter is some artistic chick when she turns 15."


"We don't even have to wait until she's 15, she already started and she's just 10 Soojung.. but she looks like 15 oh my Gahd." 

 

"Appa! Eomma!" We turned to the voice who called us and was met with a grinning pretty girl with a ribbon on her hair pointing her camera to us taking pictures of her parents being touchy-feely again. She stopped clicking and checked the photos on her camera while approaching us. "Why do you and Appa always looks good in and out of photos?" She said frowning while looking at her shots.

34195bd9f81b1f56b74795eec40e76e5.jpg


Indeed, my daughter takes good photos at a young age.


"Bo Na, where did you go again? I told you not to go anywhere without your brother..." my daughter smiled at me sweetly being cute and all. "Eomma~ I'm just going around the courtyard and on the kimchi jars of Grandnana. I got sick of taking Yoona unnie's photos posing everywhere."


Bo Na got my looks since it's my egg that was used for her. She's getting pretty day by day, the way she looks right now is the same as when I was still her age. She saw my childhood photos before and she was very amazed at our resemblance. What she got from her Appa is her sweetness and the ability to persuade people with her smile. And she's quite fashionable too for her age, having two Grandmas who loves shopping and a Grandma who indulges her in everything.


When she's not busy with her camera, she joins me in the kitchen and asks about everything that makes her curious. She asked me last week to teach her how to bake cookies and she enjoyed it. I don't want to push her on this kind of career path... I want her to realize what she wants in life.


"Eomma, did you make my bread? I'm kinda craving for it.." she pouted and cling to my arms. Amber ruffled Bo Na's hair annoying her daughter, made the kid stomp her feet. "Appa!! You're ruining my hair! I spent an hour just fixing this ribbon on my hair and you're just gonna ruin it in a few seconds!"


"Aigoooooo... My Bo Na is so pretty... Pretty like Eomma.." tssss... Sweet talker...


"Of course.." Bo Na flipped her long hair and smirked at her Appa, Amber cringing at our resemblance "I'm pretty because Eomma is pretty and gorgeous.. and Appa is handsome too."


We stayed like that joking and Amber teasing her daughter, rocking me side to side as we laugh at her Appa's playfulness. I wouldn't exchange this kind of life for anything else.


"Eomma, when is Mama Tiffany coming over? She made a promise to us that she'll visit before going back to Cambridge with Yuri Oppa.." I bit my lips trying to control my laughter when Amber suddenly tense up when she heard her daughter call Yuri Oppa hahaha.. she's still against it and now hearing it from her daughter sends chills to her spine. "Yah! Bo Na! Don't call him Oppa! It's ahjussi, remember, AHJUSSI!"


"Are you still jealous Appa? I can't call him Grandpa because he doesn't look like one. I can't call him just Yuri because that will be disrespectful, right Eomma?" The bright kid got her Appa tongue-tied with a raised eyebrow. "Besides, my dongsaeng told me this morning she heard you last night telling Eomma to call you Oppa..." My eyes went wide as a saucer when I heard her blabbering about last night. Oh my God!!! There's no way my youngest might have heard what we were doing last night I made sure she's sleeping. Where the heck is that kid anyway?


"Bo Na-ah, hold on! Stop! I don't wanna know what she told you or I swear... Amber! Where's my baby?! " I broke our hug and my eyes search for my youngest. I saw a 5-year-old girl wearing jumpers with a cap on her head skipping on the steps of the courtyard. Yup, that's our youngest, innocently playing with her chihuahua playmates Jack-Jack and Gongju. I saw her threw a Pokeball at Jackjack, luckily it didn't land on the chihuahuas' head or I swear we will be facing the wrath of dog lovers out there for animal cruelty.

tumblr_inline_mm0tv0c13w1qz4rgp.jpg


Bo Na ran to her baby sister and lifted the cute chubby girl up spinning her in the air. I love hearing them laugh and seeing them care for each other. She carried her little sister to where Amber and I are standing with the dogs trailing them. My youngest immediately lifted her arms to me wanting to be carried.


"Omo... My baby Se Na wants Eomma and not Appa?" I carried her on my sides and she instantly buried her face on the crook of my neck her thumb. She's so cute and squishy and a very sweet kid too. She's more of the adventurous type of kid and always trails her Joey Oppa everywhere. But she also loves her Bo Na unnie because her sister always indulges her with hugs and kisses. I saw the three of them one time inside the library, the twins were teaching Se Na how to read because the younger one will be starting school soon. It touched my heart seeing the twins being caring and protective of their dongsaeng especially Joey because he's the only boy.


I gave birth to Se Na a month after Grandma's death. With Grandma's deteriorating health, Amber and I decided to have a child again hoping to give Grandma something to look forward to. She was excited when we told her that I was pregnant again, telling her to be strong so she can welcome her new great-granddaughter once the baby is born.


But she never saw her. We may have lost Grandma, but a little bundle of joy came into our life. I labored for 12 hours for this cute chubby angel in my arms right now and it's all worth it.


"Eomma..... I'm hungry... I want Tteokbokki and cookies.. pweeeeeease?" She mumbled cutely on my neck while Amber pats her back.


"Se Na baby... Tteokbokki is a bit spicy for you."


"But Appa.." she faced her Appa and pouted cutely "you let me eat Tteokbokki yesterday and it's not that spicy!"


"It's because Eomma also made it sweet just for you baby. You shouldn't eat a lot or you'll get fat and your Eomma will have a hard time carrying you. Would you like that?" Amber told her slowly while Bo Na tickles her sides.


"Se Na-ah, just eat cookies because you're getting chubby you know. You're getting heavy... Look, Eomma's back is hurting now.." Bo Na said to her sister and poke the chubby kid's side playfully. Se Na squirmed on my hold trying to dodge her unnie.


My daughter suddenly cups my face with her little hands and looked me in the eye with her adorable pout "Eomma... Am I heavy? Don't you love me anymore..." I swear this kid knows how to capture hearts just by her pout and puppy eyes look.


I showered her with kisses on her face making her giggle cutely. This is my little miracle, my cute angel, and Amber's little princess who always gets what she wants from her Appa. "Of course! Eomma loves Se Na so so much! Like unnie and Oppa... Eomma is making cookies in the kitchen.. would you like to help Eomma bake cookies?"


"Yes, Eomma! I want lots and lots of cookies!" She said waving her hands making circles "Unnie! Let's make some cookies!" She reached for her Bo Na unnie and wrapped her arms on her unnie's neck hugging. I'm still carrying her so Amber supported my body by hugging me from the back.


"Okay~! Go with your unnie first on the kitchen Eomma will follow you, okay?" I peppered her cheeks with kisses making her giggle again. I brought her down and gave her to Bo Na. "Honey.. bring your sister in the kitchen and scoop the cookie dough on the mixing bowl and place it on the sheets. Wait for me, okay?"


"Yes. Eomma! We'll wait for you at the kitchen, don't worry about this little monkey I'll let her scoop the dough on the sheets." She leaned on me and gave a peck on my cheeks and also to Amber who ruffled her hair again making her stomp her feet again out of frustration.


The sisters walked hand in hand away from us with little Bo Na skipping happily while her unnie swings her arms. It was a lovely sight to behold, I hope they continue this kind of relationship until they get old.


"Soojung... Did you thought before that we'll have this kind of life?" Amber asked me, still hugging me from behind as we watch the sisters cross the courtyard. I lean back my head on her and smiles at the beautiful sight. "Honestly? You know I only want a set of twins and a big SUV.." she answers with a chuckle rubbing her nose on my cheeks.


"Thank you Soojung, for giving me these wonderful kids... I'll work hard to give them all they need and make them proud of me."


"No Amber, thank you. Thank you for being a good example for your kids and teaching them the important things in life. Just always be there for them and support them in whatever they want. As for working hard, you really need to work hard Amber. Our family is getting big....." she wraps her arms around my waist, my belly affectionately.


"You need to stop carrying Se Na now Soojung. Remember, your belly is getting big. And please don't ever run again like that! Let me carry her, okay? Okay~?" She said teasing me, burying her face on my neck showering it with kisses.


Who would have thought that meeting and falling in love with a complete stranger for a whole day will lead to this life? If someone will ask me if I'm willing to do it again, I'll say yes.


With Amber, of course, no one else.


"Yes, Amber Oppa!" We shared a hearty laugh and when I turned my head back to her we connected our lips letting each other know how much love we have for each other. Just taking our time to share a sweet lingering kiss knowing that whatever life brings us, we're going to face it together hand in hand beside each other.

 


To our own infinity.

 

 

 

 

-------------

That's a wrap! 

Thank you guys for subscribing. See yah on our next adventure! 

Peace out! ✌